• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Investors are not dumb. Yall not to stop assuming they don't know what they are doing or what they are talking about.
Capture-d-cran-2024-05-08-23-49-49.png

I don't have time to compile the details, but, from the shipment listings:

The console has 12 GB RAM, from two 6 GB 7500 MT/s LPDDR5 (LPDDR5X? it's unclear) modules. The internal storage is 256 GB of UFS 3.1.

Thank you to several other people who have been sharing in the research on these listings to determine this.

Edit: I put this in hide tags without thinking because it's shipment stuff, but this is going to get out no matter what, so I might as well remove them.
Thanks to you and every shipment digger here. 12GB sounds perfect, especially if the OS is as light as the one in the Switch. It should facilitate the port of games that are currently running on Series S (hopefully Baldur's Gate 3! Hear me out Larian!)

Developers will most likely be able to disable OS features to squeeze more memory for impossible ports, like on the current Switch.

(Yet another example of console optimization that makes comparisons with handheld PCs imperfect...)

Honestly don't think 256 GB of storage will be that bad. Same number as the Steam Deck, but file sizes will probably be smaller than the Deck since they can optimize for the system, including getting rid of files they don't need. Very excited.
Yeah the internal storage doesn't matter cause people can just upgrade it anyway.

The console has 12 GB RAM, from two 6 GB 7500 MT/s LPDDR5 (LPDDR5X? it's unclear) modules. The internal storage is 256 GB of UFS 3.1.

Thank you to several other people who have been sharing in the research on these listings to determine this.

Edit: I put this in hide tags without thinking because it's shipment stuff, but this is going to get out no matter what, so I might as well remove them.
I guess this means that 4 TFLOPS docked is more on the table, since there will be more bandwidth available for the CPU, assuming the whole 25 GB/s/TFLOPS napkin math holds true.

so digital foundry switch 2 speculation video is wrong ?

or we need to wait and see.
They're speculating about the chip, and a lot of that is data compiled from this thread. I know because I helped compile it for them. The shipment data is about the rest of the hardware, like the RAM and the screen.

Current $399 model for the Deck already comes with 256GB interal storage, will have more RAM and a better CPU, and while it doesn't come with stuff for doing TV Display mode, as a handheld the controls are already more robust than the joycons. And that's assuming that Valve doesn't decide to do another price drop by 2025.
And Drake has a better GPU, the primary driver of video game performance, and a better screen, of higher resolution. Whether or not the package overall is worth it to you is a personal decision, but I think it's hard to argue that you're getting less "stuff" in the box for the same price, just a different configuration of "stuff."

8 Cortex A78 Arm cores.
Oh, are you referring to people mentioning the ARM M0? That's a separate CPU used as a microcontroller. There is already one in the Switch dock, this is just a slightly updated version. It's not a replacement for the A78 cores

Hey peeps.

Wondering what most of you all think when the official announcement of the Switch II gonna be, since it won't be in the Direct.
Myself, I think it can get revealed arround Late June-September. Especially if they keep up with their ''Announce it 9 months before the release'' rule, like I see them doing with their games schedule. March is 10 month's away, so say Late June/begin July I actually can see them release the reveal trailer.

I kinda hope we can get at least the codename of the Switch II in the annual shareholder's meeting, as I don't think that was shared yesterday?
I considered doing an announcement month poll given that it's somewhere between May 2024 and Mar 2025. It's so not going to be May 2024.

Current $399 model for the Deck already comes with 256GB interal storage, will have more RAM and a better CPU, and while it doesn't come with stuff for doing TV Display mode, as a handheld the controls are already more robust than the joycons. And that's assuming that Valve doesn't decide to do another price drop by 2025.
"Don't care it's not a switch 2" - every regular consumer on the planet. That's enough for a huge install base and highly optimised ports

Oh dang, caught up the last three pages but I think that's all I really needed to read.

Sure, I would have preferred 16GB for future proofing to keep the miracle ports coming all the way up to Switch 3 and not dry up like they have now, but if being able to secure 256GB was the reason for the internal delay (and maybe up the clock speeds to make up for it), then I just need a price so I know how much to save up for
If (and that's a big if) Nintendo keeps the OS at around 1GB, then that means the 2witch will have 11GB available compared to the PS5's estimated 12.5GB.

I doubt miracle ports will have much trouble.

wonder how they will sell this at a profit. will be interesting to see. Dunno if they wanna risk another loss console after the Wii U

12gb RAM and 256gb storage align pretty well with the thread's general expectation. If it's 4N and has cheap expansion storage, then this is basically my ideal device.

Yeah the internal storage doesn't matter cause people can just upgrade it anyway.

It seems to be UFS storage which isn't something regular people can buy like M2 SSD much less connect to their PC to clone the files over.

Some people gonna be mad that the os and menu will be simplistic again.

Not me tho, I spend a total of 3 seconds on the menu before selecting a game
Same. I've used the PS5 and Xbox social features a total of 2 times and just to share dumb memes which I could've just as easily shared via Telegram to my friend.
And I've seen more and more people pivot towards not using the built in console's social features and instead using discord or whatever.

There's also other stuff like clubs and whatnot on Xbox and PS and I literally have never used those and don't even know what they're even for. I guess themes or changing the background image would be cool but that's such a non-issue for me.
The PS5 has basically zero customization and folders compared to the PS4 and I still got rid of my PS4 for a PS5 and don't even think about those things.

Magnets, magnets everywhere
I have reasons to believe even more in a built-in mic on both console / Pro controller... nice
Now that will be great.
I mean, it makes sense to me? You seem to be assuming that NIntendo didn't plan on enough games for launch, so they need to sacrifice a Switch game to fit into a hole in the launch year.
I don't think it was an assumption of "Not enough" but more of "It makes too much sense." While the cartoony games will get a big jump in visuals, the more realistic games will be the more eye opener. Like I said before, can you imagine you're going through the obligatory lava area and you see the ray trace reflection on Samus suit?
Maybe when Samus takes off her suit and we see the poor on her face or the subscatter surface effect on her ears.

I just see this as another zelda situation. Delay the Switch version and have a simultaneous release.

If MP4 manages to capture the isolationist exploration of an hostile planed feel and distinguishes itself in the gameplay AND presentation department I could see 4M potential customers
I think they will but bring something different. I think we will have multiple planets to travel to again. One where it will be more story oriented and the other will be more exploration oriented.

The ARAM has a bandwidth of 81MB/s, and the main RAM of the GCN has a bandwidth of 2.6GB/s.

But as I said before I am not quite sure why the focus on the ARAM when that was for the GBA Player for example, or for Audio. And it’s not accessible through normal means, requiring DMA to access rather than the CPU freely having more RAM whenever they felt like it. Its goal was for less critical tasks like the one mentioned above… wait a minute there’s a console right now with an equivalent that does just that… anyway.

Keep in mind this was a direct response to the N64 which had a unified memory architecture.

So to clarify, the reason I was asking about the ARAM specifically is because 1) the ARAM had a ton of drawbacks and 2) it was the only actual component that wasn't just overclocked or tinkered with, but replaced with a completely different component. In addition to being slow, the ARAM also didn't have access to the GPU or CPU!

The GDDR3 in the wii is the closest thing to actual next gen tech that Wii had at the time. So what I'm wondering is, how much of an actual impact did removing 16 MB of slow RAM, with 64 MB of significantly faster RAM, as well as RAM that can actually be utilized by the GPU/CPU in a way that the ARAM of the GC never did, have on the overall system.

I've seen reports over the years where everyone seemed to agree wii was at best 2X the power of the GC. And for the most part, I can totally believe that. But I'm primarily curious about this because a game like Super Mario Galaxy seems like a bigger jump than just 2X, at least compared to Sunshine. To be clear, I don't mean anywhere close to 360/PS3, but...better than just two GCs duct taped together (maybe...three GCs duct taped together?). And ALSO to be clear, I understand SMG had some differentiation in its game design, like having smaller, focused levels, that allowed it to perform some more impressive graphics features than Sunshine. But still, even taking that into account, some portions are genuinely very impressive relative to the hardware. Or maybe I'm giving SMG too much credit here...

It seems like the Switch 2 will have no problems with RAM speed this time, if I'm not mistaken.

And we know little to nothing about the ergonomics of future joy cons and the real world performance of the Switch 2 where 'better CPU' becomes a significant factor, I already expect Switch 2 to outperform due to native ports. Not to mention the estimated screen size and resolution differences, the lack of dedicated tensor and RT cores on the SD, the lack of physical media on SD, etc. This kind of cherry picking price comparison between a PC and a console just doesnt work, especially when we know so little about the console, so it's premature to be disappointed about a potential price solely because of the RAM.
It's not solely because of the RAM it's the RAM, storage, and the fact that this thing won't be out until 2025. It's starting to become very reminiscent of when Nintendo thought the 3DS's sub-par specs would be enough for a $250 handheld in 2011.

12gb RAM and 256gb storage align pretty well with the thread's general expectation. If it's 4N and has cheap expansion storage, then this is basically my ideal device.

It seems to be UFS storage which isn't something regular people can buy like M2 SSD much less connect to their PC to clone the files over.
Sorry, I didn't mean to say the UFS storage could be easily upgradeable.

Just that users can purchase SD cards to bolster their storage.

Capture-d-cran-2024-05-08-23-49-49.png

Thanks to you and every shipment digger here. 12GB sounds perfect, especially if the OS is as light as the one in the Switch. It should facilitate the port of games that are currently running on Series S (hopefully Baldur's Gate 3! Hear me out Larian!)

There are a lot of reason to explain why drops like this happen. But pointing to one unsourced example and ignoring everything I typed out is extremely stupid. The investors know more and finance and returns than people who don't and will more than not get it right.

People on forums think that being tapped into everything gaming related would make them smarter than investors. It doesn't. Like at all.

The time has finally come, it's actually real. Almost hard to grasp at this point, but we will have concrete info now. Good work and thanks to everyone who helped find this one out.
Damn, Monolith Soft with 12GB of RAM? The reveal cannot come soon enough.

If we look at how the Switch was able to last from 2017-2025 as the main Nintendo hardware with just 4 GB RAM i think 12 GB RAM is more than enough to last Nintendo many years into the future.

12GB should be plenty, but I can say that I got my heart so set on 16/512 that I'm a bit disappointed by the idea of 12/256, but at least it's not 8/128.

Magnets, magnets everywhere
I have reasons to believe even more in a built-in mic on both console / Pro controller... nice
Could be not in the joy con because of the New buttom being a push to talk?
And the magnets cam mean the joy con can attach each other without the support ?

7500 MT/s

How fast is this in comparison to the PS5/XBSX/S?

The time has finally come, it's actually real. Almost hard to grasp at this point, but we will have concrete info now. Good work and thanks to everyone who helped find this one out.
Damn, Monolith Soft with 12GB of RAM? The reveal cannot come soon enough.
Xenoblade 4 is actually gonna go so insanely hard, I'm curious if they'd also be able to utilize RTGI at all.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom