• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I don't have time to compile the details, but, from the shipment listings:

The console has 12 GB RAM, from two 6 GB 7500 MT/s LPDDR5 (LPDDR5X? it's unclear) modules. The internal storage is 256 GB of UFS 3.1.

Thank you to several other people who have been sharing in the research on these listings to determine this.

Edit: I put this in hide tags without thinking because it's shipment stuff, but this is going to get out no matter what, so I might as well remove them.
Aaaand it's already gotten posted on reddit lmfao:

But great finds! Hats off to everyone involved in tracking these.

The console has 12 GB RAM, from two 6 GB 7500 MT/s LPDDR5 (LPDDR5X? it's unclear) modules. The internal storage is 256 GB of UFS 3.1.

Thank you to several other people who have been sharing in the research on these listings to determine this.

Edit: I put this in hide tags without thinking because it's shipment stuff, but this is going to get out no matter what, so I might as well remove them.
F49k_1SXYAA0UsU.jpg

Hey peeps.

Wondering what most of you all think when the official announcement of the Switch II gonna be, since it won't be in the Direct.
Myself, I think it can get revealed arround Late June-September. Especially if they keep up with their ''Announce it 9 months before the release'' rule, like I see them doing with their games schedule. March is 10 month's away, so say Late June/begin July I actually can see them release the reveal trailer.

I kinda hope we can get at least the codename of the Switch II in the annual shareholder's meeting, as I don't think that was shared yesterday?
late setembre/octobre for a march/april launch

I know I've said this before, but when people say "MP4 will be/won't be cross gen" I don't know that anyone is actually talking about the same thing when they mean cross-gen. I'm certainly never sure that I know what they're talking about.

The successor has been announced, MP4 still isn't dated. By the definition of something like Ghost of Tsushima, it already is cross-gen. If by "cross-gen" we mean released after the Switch 2, but supporting Switch 1, I'd say that there is every indication that Nintendo has adjusted its release schedule fairly recently. Nintendo needs to both have a stacked launch, but also maintain Switch momentum over a longer than anticipated period. There is no "clear from the outside" answer.

If by "cross-gen" we mean "enhanced on the future console when it arrives" this can be a decision Nintendo makes after launch. Again, looking at Ghosts of Tsushima, it didn't get the Director's Cut which included the PS5 enhancements until over a year after launch. The business case for an "enhanced" title will depend on what other games are in the launch window, and whether or not it makes sense to have Retro continue to work on Prime 4 instead of having an extra 6 months to a year headstart on their "true" next gen exclusive.

Nintendo can do anything with Metroid. What Nintendo will do with Metroid mostly depends on 18 months worth of games they haven't revealed yet, for hardware they've not stated the pitch for, in the middle of what appears to be a software vacuum created by a last minute hardware delay. Anyone confident in their assessment of how the Prime 4 release will go is out on a limb, no matter what they're confident about.
cross-gen in a sense, the game release in both consoles(point to Twilight Princess e Breath of the Wild)

I imagine 12 GB would be more than enough to last a console generation similar to the length of the current Switch. It's more than the Series S and as much as I would like a very cool and expanded OS, it probably won't be that much more complicated so it shouldn't use that much ram. Plus, I don't see a future where developers will really need any more ram than what the PS5 and Series x offers.

I would've preferred 512GB, but 256 is probably fine for most people and I get that they have to reach a price point. 150GB COD install is going to be rough though.

What's the best type of expandable storage to buy to get similar speeds to the onboard UFS, will existing SD cards be fine or would SD Express be preferable? I know we don't have any information about the final speeds yet.

I imagine 12 GB would be more than enough to last a console generation similar to the length of the current Switch. It's more than the Series S and as much as I would like a very cool and expanded OS, it probably won't be that much more complicated so it shouldn't use that much ram. Plus, I don't see a future where developers will really need any more ram than what the PS5 and Series x offers.
Well, unlike the series s, this is actually expected to sport some quality RT. 4 extra gigs sure would have been handy for that purpose.

Well it is what it is.

Not sure why the RAM specifically is in consideration when the Switch 2 is likely to be bundled with two wireless controllers and a dock, neither of which are included with a Deck purchase.
Current $399 model for the Deck already comes with 256GB interal storage, will have more RAM and a better CPU, and while it doesn't come with stuff for doing TV Display mode, as a handheld the controls are already more robust than the joycons. And that's assuming that Valve doesn't decide to do another price drop by 2025.

What's the best type of expandable storage to buy to get similar speeds to the onboard UFS, will existing SD cards be fine or would SD Express be preferable? I know we don't have any information about the final speeds yet.
Current SD couldn't do it. SDe seems like the minimum from where I stand.

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I’m wondering what the closest GPU equivalent is for Switch 2 based off of T239 specs.

we don't know yet, so I would hold off on buying expandable storage for now.

but I'm betting on SDexpress. SD Cards would be way slow

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I’m wondering what the closest GPU equivalent is for Switch 2 based off of T239 specs.
one doesn't exist, unfortunately. the closest is the Jetson Orin dev kit

We got the pretty good scenario

This is some
I would've preferred 512GB, but 256 is probably fine for most people and I get that they have to reach a price point. 150GB COD install is going to be rough though.

Given SWOLED has 64GB of Internal storage aka double of OG Switch, it’s very possible down the line a future release will include 512GB.

Me too. Just want it's price at $400 or if can $350

Maybe that NWC 1990 Tweet from Pyoro wasn’t about the Date of the briefing (where it said “SW2: 37.5”), but instead it’s the price: $374.99

:eek:

I think 256GB of storage isn't "that bad", to be honest.
Contrary to other consoles, there's no need to install any retail game (aside for patches*).

*Just remembered that Call of Duty is supposed to come on 2witch... Oh boy the sizes of the patches will instantly prove me wrong.

I just love how this thread will become the new Gold Standard and is redefining the State of the Art of console hardware speculation for the future lol

Relying on attention-seeking "insider info" and copium? I sleep...
Analyzing linux kernel commits and shipment data between mutliple company branches? Chef's kiss.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Current $399 model for the Deck already comes with 256GB interal storage, will have more RAM and a better CPU, and while it doesn't come with stuff for doing TV Display mode, as a handheld the controls are already more robust than the joycons. And that's assuming that Valve doesn't decide to do another price drop by 2025.
And we know little to nothing about the ergonomics of future joy cons and the real world performance of the Switch 2 where 'better CPU' becomes a significant factor, I already expect Switch 2 to outperform due to native ports. Not to mention the estimated screen size and resolution differences, the lack of dedicated tensor and RT cores on the SD, the lack of physical media on SD, etc. This kind of cherry picking price comparison between a PC and a console just doesnt work, especially when we know so little about the console, so it's premature to be disappointed about a potential price solely because of the RAM.

So it uses UFS internally.

Is there any way to determine external storage support?

I think 256GB of storage isn't "that bad", to be honest.
Contrary to other consoles, there's no need to install any retail game (aside for patches*).

*Just remembered that Call of Duty is supposed to come on 2witch... Oh boy the sizes of the patches will instantly prove me wrong.
Nintendo's compression and file size standards will help shrink games like CoD down to be manageable I'm sure.

Oh dang, caught up the last three pages but I think that's all I really needed to read.

Sure, I would have preferred 16GB for future proofing to keep the miracle ports coming all the way up to Switch 3 and not dry up like they have now, but if being able to secure 256GB was the reason for the internal delay (and maybe up the clock speeds to make up for it), then I just need a price so I know how much to save up for

Considering third party developers requested at least 1 GB/s for the sequential read speed for the PlayStation 5, microSD Express 7.0 cards should be fine for the Nintendo Switch's successor's games.

microSD Express 7.0's theoretical max sequential read speed is 985 MB/s, and the real life max sequential read for Samsung's microSD Express 7.0 cards is 800 MB/s.

Better cpu how?

Muse? L and R
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

NVM, i guess those are parts of the speaker lol

So outside of RAM and storage, do we expect to get more clarity out of these shipments?
I lost track, so some hints towards a microphone?

Honestly don't think 256 GB of storage will be that bad. Same number as the Steam Deck, but file sizes will probably be smaller than the Deck since they can optimize for the system, including getting rid of files they don't need. Very excited.

I think this is best case scenario tbh. As much as I would've liked it, I don't think 16 GB of RAM was that realistic. 12 GB of RAM, and at the highest possible speed (LPDDR5-8100 was only just announced, right?) works for me. UFS 3.1 is plenty fast too.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom