• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I remember a few posts on here mentioning that they went out of their way to remove camera-related functionality from T239 that was present on T234. Is that right?
They did. . . The T234 would have been for automotive use, so perhaps removing that dedicated hardware in favor of reusing say one of the PCIe lanes and sharing with other data was more efficient.

I remember a few posts on here mentioning that they went out of their way to remove camera-related functionality from T239 that was present on T234. Is that right?
Yes, but I don't think it really says anything one way or another about whether Switch 2 would have a camera. The hardware in question was designed to be able to process a very large number of camera streams at the same time (as you would need for autonomous vehicles). It would have been absurdly over-specced for a simple camera in a games console, so even if they did want camera functionality, they likely would have dropped that hardware and used something far simpler.

Camera functionality that was tied to automotive use. Stuff like constantly watching multiple angles around the car and processing the data with sensors that help determine what all the objects around a car are for things like lane assist, automatic breaking, maybe even self-driving. All things that'd be irrelevant for Switch. And removing that stuff doesn't stop them from having a simple camera built into the unit that the OS can read for photos or video similar to the DS/3DS.

The camera functionality on T234 is for self-driving cars, which means up to 6 4K cameras working simultaneously. It's way more economical to cut all of that out and put in a new, but much smaller camera processing unit.

There's some pretty huge things in the March data that I don't have time to compile right now. Will try to sort through it more after work.

Just to be clear up front, it's nothing about specs, BC, RAM/storage size, screen, etc. though -- yet.
Okay, I may have lied about one of these things.
I may have lied about more than one of these things

Last edited:
Nintendo already added some additional ventilation in the OLED dock, and even Erista Switch units rarely push the fan past 50%. I would imagine Mariko Switch units rarely push the fan past 30%. Even with my jailbroken launch Switch, I can clock the GPU at 921Mhz and CPU at 1725Mhz and the fan typically sits at 70%. This leads me to believe the cooling system for Switch is adequate for an SOC pulling up to 15watts.

I may have lied about more than one these things
My glorious king thank you.
nba-basketball.gif

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I don't have time to compile the details, but, from the shipment listings:

The console has 12 GB RAM, from two 6 GB 7500 MT/s LPDDR5 (LPDDR5X? it's unclear) modules. The internal storage is 256 GB of UFS 3.1.

Thank you to several other people who have been sharing in the research on these listings to determine this.

Edit: I put this in hide tags without thinking because it's shipment stuff, but this is going to get out no matter what, so I might as well remove them.

Last edited:
One thing that needs to be discussed is WHY the switch 2 was delayed. It does matter if we are talking about release timing and expectations. Of course nobody has any real evidence so its all speculation but can we find informed speculation?

My list of possibilities:

• Chip availability/affordability
  • Hardware tech from Nvidia availability
  • UI development issues (including BC)

Lower percentage possibilities:

• Desire for higher than normal stock at launch
  • Software development issues and/or availability
  • Manufacturing lane availability/affordability
  • Yen/inflation crisis (A crashed Yen could be a REAL problem in 2 months)
  • Geopolitics crisis
  • Competition releasing devices this fall

This thing has been in active development and even supposedly close to release since 2022 so how can they have internal software or UI issues at this point? Not only that but the design is iterative thus making supposed development time less for the hardware. Manufacturing lanes don't seem too bogged up either. They could've easily put this into production now and had an epic amount of stock for September or November.

I kind of want to place the blame squarely on Nvidia but this is just a logic guess at this point.
If the "delay" was Nvidia related, I think it would point to TSMC 4N being more likely than Samsung 8nm, as the TSMC node should be running at full pelt at the moment producing for the business AI market until Blackwell starts being available later this year (which uses a more advanced 4NP node).

As for the Yen, I shared a video by Nintendo Forecast earlier ...
Nintendo Forecast had a good video about this last month ...

... TL;DR Japanese exchange rates with Vietnam and Taiwan are important

... in case you hadn't come across it before

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

To add some context, the RAM part is this one from Micron, which is a 6GB 7500MT/s 64-bit part. They list it as LPDDR5, but 7500MT/s is a LPDDR5X speed, so that may be just how they list things. With a 128-bit bus, two of these parts would give us 12GB of RAM operating at a peak of 120GB/s.

The UFS is a Kioxia part labelled THGJFGT1E45BAILHW0. They don't have a specific page for it, but both Mouser and Jak Electronics list it as a 256GB UFS 3.1 part. Kioxia's website lists a THGJFGT1E45BAIP as a 256GB UFS 3.1, so it may be a revised version of that part.

In both cases, there's a good chance that Nintendo will be sourcing from multiple suppliers, but they'd all match these specs.

Edit: Peak read speeds for UFS 3.1 should be close to 2GB/s, although with both game cards and external storage almost certainly lower than that, I don't know if games could quite use it. Still, it definitely shouldn't be a bottleneck.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom