• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

The speculation about a rounder charger made me think about Nintendo's history about repurposing both AC adapters and batteries. Why would Switch 2 use a rounder one when they could use the same one, as they did with all DSi and 3DS models? It's easier to streamline the simultaneous production of Switch 1 and Switch 2 that way.

I guess it could be either Switch 2 being more power hungry or the cable now being USB-C compliant.
Personally, I don't really expect the Nintendo Switch's successor's AC adapter to aesthetically different from the Nintendo Switch family's AC adapter.

But saying that, I think the Nintendo Switch's successor's AC adapter could definitely be different from the Nintendo Switch family's AC adapter to be compliant with USB Power Delivery (PD) specs per 3.2 from Part I from Annex from the Directive 2022/2380 of the European Parliament and of the Council, especially with the EU's law going into affect for handheld video game consoles releasing after the end of 2024, and the Nintendo Switch family's AC adapter isn't compliant with the USB PD specs. (The Nintendo Switch family's AC adapter only supports 5 V * 1.5 A and 15 V * 2.6 A. All previous voltage and current levels must be supported in order to be compliant with USB PD 3.0 specs (p 7). So the Nintendo Switch family's AC adapter's missing support for 5 V * 3 A and 9 V * 3 A.)

(I do wonder if Nintendo's going to change the power supply on the Nintendo Switch's successor's dock to be USB PD compliant to ensure the Nintendo Switch's successor's dock won't have issues being powered by USB PD compliant AC adapters. The Nintendo Switch's dock only supports 15 V * 2.6 A for the input and 15 V * 1.2 A for the output. And the OLED model's dock's power supply only supports 15 V * 2.6 A for the input and the output. The power supplies on the Nintendo Switch's and the OLED model's docks are not USB PD compliant since support for 5 V * 3 A and 9 V * 3 A is missing. But I don't believe docks are within the jurisdiction of the EU's law.)

Sounds perfect for Nintendo's usual mature+cheap nodes strategy, no?
Just to add to ILikeFeet's comment, Nintendo doesn't do the securing of process node capacity from any foundry company (e.g. TSMC, Samsung, etc.). Nvidia does. And I don't think Nvidia really benefits from securing capacity for an older process node (e.g. Samsung's 7LPP process node) for only one die.

Any name that is "Switch _" where _ is not "2" is a terrible name for a new console. It's literally the Wii U all over again; you're just begging for customer confusion.
"U" meant nothing. "Attach" does, especially if there is a hardware feature that goes with it. I doubt they are only going to use the magnets to replace the rails.

Why would Nintendo tell 3rd parties to have launch titles ready for March 2025 if they were launching in 2024?

We don’t know about this
"U" meant nothing. "Attach" does, especially if there is a hardware feature that goes with it. I doubt they are only going to use the magnets to replace the rails.

Attach is wack it doesn’t sound Nintendo at all let’s bury this one already

Any name that is "Switch _" where _ is not "2" is a terrible name for a new console. It's literally the Wii U all over again; you're just begging for customer confusion.
switch 2 makes it sound boring and expendable with no identity or merit of its own

if it's any good it deserves a name

Aya Neo is back again, with a $400 android (lawl) tablet. with 12GB LPDDR5x-8533, 128GB ufs 3.1, and a 6000mAh battery. up to 15W TDP sustained on the chip. almost everything you hope Drake is

ps_02-780x473.jpg

Here are the SOC specs
  • Qualcomm® Adreno™ GPU
  • Qualcomm® Kryo™ CPU (8 cores)
  • FHD+ up to 144fps
  • Support for stereo haptics
  • Support for Dual Cameras
  • 5G mmWave
    • Up to 10Gbps
  • 5G sub-6 300Mhz
  • Wi-Fi 7
    • Up to 5.8Gbps
  • Bluetooth® 5.3 wireless technology
Oh this I so exciting I can't wait until I can play clash of clan on this 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

What a waste.

switch 2 makes it sound boring and expendable with no identity or merit of its own

if it's any good it deserves a name
Same can be said with PS5, PS4... And PS3.

Like Switch 2 is pretty much plain and simple and wouldn't confuse anyone. Like i would love it to be named Super Nintendo Switch, but i'm gonna be honest and say Switch 2 is safe and sometime it's good to take note from competition, heck Sony have yet released a failiure (when it comes to console, R.I.P Vita)

Here are the SOC specs
  • Qualcomm® Adreno™ GPU
  • FHD+ up to 144fps
  • 5G mmWave
    • Up to 10Gbps
  • 5G sub-6 300Mhz
  • Wi-Fi 7
    • Up to 5.8Gbps

What a waste.:
How many TFLOPs tho for the GPU? Some of those CPU cores can go up to 3.4 GHz.

I will admit I would be suprised if Nintendo is willing to take a loss on a console since the last time the did it was the Wii U
Plus even Nintendo mentioned that they should have accepted losing a bit of money from the 3DS, since it was somehow 250USD at launch, which is baffling, even Reggie said that was his biggest mistake as CEO was to not let the 3DS release with a lower price.

Like Nintendo is willing to lose a bit of money if it means higher software and long term success. Plus the 3DS and Wii U is probably a blessing, since at the end of the day failures makes you stronger, for Nintendo case, it's losing Billions of dollar, market shares... And being the laughing stock in the industry.

Here are the SOC specs
  • Qualcomm® Adreno™ GPU
  • FHD+ up to 144fps
  • 5G mmWave
    • Up to 10Gbps
  • 5G sub-6 300Mhz
  • Wi-Fi 7
    • Up to 5.8Gbps

What a waste.
Maybe someone will put windows on it. Would make for an interesting test

Really? Forgive my naivety on this, like what?
It's not really negative. There are products on the market that do fine with "fold" in the name, like the Samsung galaxy fold

Plus even Nintendo mentioned that they should have accepted losing a bit of money from the 3DS, since it was somehow 250USD at launch, which is baffling, even Reggie said that was his biggest mistake as CEO was to not let the 3DS release with a lower price.

Like Nintendo is willing to lose a bit of money if it means higher software and long term success. Plus the 3DS and Wii U is probably a blessing, since at the end of the day failures makes you stronger, for Nintendo case, it's losing Billions of dollar, market shares... And being the laughing stock in the industry.
Nintendo needs stability, not glorified failures in your mouth.

Nintendo needs stability, not glorified failures in your mouth.
Oh, i didn't mean to say that Nintendo needs failure it's just that sometime it can help and rethink their strategy, like a good example would be their marketing.

Like... The Switch Era is probably the most stable Nintendo has been for years, like as someone who lived through the Wii U, i can say that they are more stable, have better marketing and smartly releases their games, that we don't have to suffer from drought.

So hopefully this time around the transition to the Switch 2 will be smooth.

A Switch 2 TV would be the perfect place for an SoC discarded due to heat or excessive consumption.
So could a new Nvidia Shield TV model, although that probably won't sell many units due to being a rather niche product. (The Nvidia Shield TV (2015) consumed more power at 19.4 W than the Nintendo Switch (2017) at 16.5 W.)

But anyways, I personally don't really expect a TV only model similar to the PlayStation TV Vita to be released until the last couple years of the Nintendo Switch's successor's lifecycle.

well, I mean, y'know...
Kid... I would much rather have a plain ass, no identity name, compare to another Wii U situation where all the Third party, Indies and even Nintendo themself gives up. (I know the Wii U failure isn't because of the name, but still). Heck, the PS5 sold 50 million hardware, with only 12 exclusives and we are in the middle of PS5 life cycle.
thanos-villain.gif

How many TFLOPs tho for the GPU? Some of those CPU cores can go up to 3.4 GHz.
Hmm, I can't find the info. I just don't understand why they had to go with this tablet. Seeing the Steam Deck as a better emulation device so I see this as pointless.
Maybe someone will put windows on it. Would make for an interesting test
I would like to see that actually. Sounds better than the official way to use it.
With Earthbound 64, long thought to be dead, was in reality finished, and is exclusive on it.
Source?

Edit: Oh sorry, I got waaaaay too excited I misread the whole context 🤣🤣🤣

Kid... I would much rather have a plain ass, no identity name, compare to another Wii U situation where all the Third party, Indies and even Nintendo themself gives up. (I know the Wii U failure isn't because of the name, but still). Heck, the PS5 sold 50 million hardware, with only 12 exclusives and we are in the middle of PS5 life cycle.
thanos-villain.gif
I guess the question is whether you enjoy sales charts or game consoles

I prefer the latter

What exactly could Nintendo release this year to move more switch units?

3 scenarios

1. Holiday game. Switch 2 gets released this year. Multiplatform. MP4?
2. Holiday game. Switch 2 doesn't get released this year, but game also comes out on switch 2 on release.
3. no holiday game. Or not a big one. But a price drop.

MP4 not gonna sell more than 3 million copies though.. Not on one platform at least.

3D Mario is the best bet, but imo that's if it's launched this fall and it's multiplatform.
I’m not entirely sure what this response has to do with the theory about the lack of announcements for the second half being due to the Switch 2’s launch. We’ve been through this every year that people should know how this goes.

Hmm, I can't find the info. I just don't understand why they had to go with this tablet. Seeing the Steam Deck as a better emulation device so I see this as pointless.
probably because they want to offer a lower cost product. Steam Deck is probably at cost at the lowest end, subsidized by the fact there's a store backing it

As a reminder, 6 hours ago Necro reiterated on Twitter that that Korean rumor was not credible.
I'm probably misremembering, but most of Necro's rumors have not come to fruition at this time, since it's all hardware/Nintendo Switch 2 based. His direct leaks are usually spot on, but he isn't the first to report them iirc. The only thing disproving the leak is the node process which doesn't officially exist and people with expertise on here have criticized the technical validity of the article. Not saying the Korean rumor is credible, btw.

I wonder if Nintendo will use Sharp’s “XLED” (Mini LED backlight system) technology for the built in 7.91 inch screen or if it will be joe average edge lit technology that is horrible for HDR?

How come consumers understood 3DS and GBA were new systems?
3DS also had consumer confusion issues so that isn't a great comparison.

GBA was a very clear break in form factor, also "Advanced," while not as clear as 2, does communicate that this is a more powerful system in a way that "U" or "Attach" or whatever confusing noun you wanna use doesn't.

Which is why it should be "_ Nintendo Switch" where _ is "Super".

Not sarcasm.
I think Super Switch is fine yeah. It doesn't have to be "2" per se but it does need to clearly and firmly communicate that this is a new, more powerful system.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Based on these 2 references points used, I assume that ninspider is probably from Dubai. While some people outside of Dubai might have seen Burj Al Arab on photos and use it to describe rounder shape of new joycons, they would not use Central Park Towers in DIFC as an example, unless they lived somewhere close and saw that building regularly. I've been in UAE for a bit over 2 years now and I don't even remember how Central Park Towers look without looking them up.

I wonder if Nintendo will use Sharp’s “XLED” (Mini LED backlight system) technology for the built in 7.91 inch screen or if it will be joe average edge lit technology that is horrible for HDR?
I don't think Nintendo's going to use a mini LED display in general, considering that mini LED is actually more expensive than OLED when mobile displays are concerned. In fact, the 12.9" iPad Air's rumoured to no longer be using a mini LED display, because of mini LED's high cost.

Nobody cares about a random Samsung non-flagship phone.

If Nintendo's successor to the Switch was called the Fold, you'd be hearing about how Nintendo "folded" any time sales are down or they had a mediocre Direct.
You can turn any name into a jeer. "Fold" would just take less effort. Not saying I want "Fold" to be the name should they ever make a system in the future that uses foldable screen tech, mind you. But I also don't think futureproofing a name against hypothetical mockery is that much of a concern so long as the name properly communicates the idea behind the hardware. Plus, this is a company that decided to call a console the "Wii" and proceeded to shrug when the obvious jokes began.

You know what... You are right.
handshake-secret.gif
I appreciate the amicability

I was too oblique about my position because of all of the times I've had this argument before

put more clearly: I think that if the system has any meaningful differentiation from the switch it deserves a name of its own. to me "switch 2" sound like it has nothing going for it, hence why I hope that it's a system deserving of a name

a lot of people just want a new, bigger, more expensive switch so the name switch 2 is perfect. personally I'm hoping that it has some freshness to it. "nintendo switch attach" was obviously a bullshit source but the name itself seemed very exciting to me; I want a nintendo switch attach much more than a nintendo switch 2

I would personally like something similar to Bowser fury, in which it's a seamless open world game. Also would be a nice showcase of everything really.
  • Ray tracing
  • Non existent load time
  • 4K capability
  • Textures
Like with the success of Botw i would presume Nintendo would want a genre defining game that will set a new standard to be a launch title
p2G9BWdBfZNJ7UgMoJk7XW-1200-80.jpg

Like having a lot of games at launch doesn't mean an automatic success, most of the time it takes one game to make people realise that this system is the real deal, like compare the Wii U launch line up vs the Switch launch line up.

Raytracing's the big one I'd love to see, especially if it's Super Mario Galaxy 3. :D

In addition, I hope to seee:

• Global illumination
  • More particle effects
  • Not just higher resolution textures but some more advanced bump mapping, like parallax mapping
  • Much more advanced water effects

Like im sad im think Switch 2 in handheld will have TDP of 15W, with 5W for CPU and 5W for GPU, seems reasonable and not aggressive clocks

Last edited:
So I don't do a lot of mobile gaming but how much can this product benefit a mobile gamer Outside of emulation?
None, really. Not that it's bad, it's just that a dedicated android gaming platform hasn't taken off despite many attempts. Ouya being a famous one. Games are more and more including physical controller options, and with the better cooling, you can run maxed settings better, but such power users aren't exactly the norm.

Same with Emulator players, and emulators have a far lower requirement than something like Genshin or CoD Warzone Mobile. So you don't need a $400 device to play GBA games or PS1 games

I appreciate the amicability

I was too oblique about my position because of all of the times I've had this argument before

put more clearly: I think that if the system has any meaningful differentiation from the switch it deserves a name of its own. to me "switch 2" sound like it has nothing going for it, hence why I hope that it's a system deserving of a name

a lot of people just want a new, bigger, more expensive switch so the name switch 2 is perfect. personally I'm hoping that it has some freshness to it. "nintendo switch attach" was obviously a bullshit source but the name itself seemed very exciting to me; I want a nintendo switch attach much more than a nintendo switch 2
I've also stated many times that Nintendo usually makes sure to have a brand new design on a console iteration to make a difference from the previous generation, even if it is indeed an iteration of the switch concept.But it's a bummer that most gamers will always have a negative view of change.

Based on these 2 references points used, I assume that ninspider is probably from Dubai. While some people outside of Dubai might have seen Burj Al Arab on photos and use it to describe rounder shape of new joycons, they would not use Central Park Towers in DIFC as an example, unless they lived somewhere close and saw that building regularly. I've been in UAE for a bit over 2 years now and I don't even remember how Central Park Towers look without looking them up.
I really doubt that the Central Park Tower he refers to is the one in the UAE, but rather the one in NY.

Love to see the hype here, but the Korean blog means nothing besides a rumor mill + info already discussed by several other sources (including the node speculation) — they don't have sources on it

No sir, ain't no stopping this hot dog wagon. I ain't letting you piss in my noodle cup.

HYPE TRAIN FOREVER BABY!!! 😛

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom