• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

For those who didn't feel like watching the video, here:
Here is a video of the Switch 1 doing 4K, doing Wine and Linux translation of late 90s and early 2000s PC games, and emulating Switch on Switch in 4K. See bullet points if you don't want to watch the videos.
  • Man has a hard modded switch of all variation
  • Perform test on original and OLED Switch.
  • Mainly does test on OLED as it performs better.
  • Here are the clock/overclock status
  • Handheld: CPU 1.02GHz, GPU 307-460 mhz, memory 1331 mhz
  • Docked (V1) CPU 1.02 Ghz, GPU 768 Mhz, memory 1600 Mhz
  • Overclocked (V1) GPU 921 Mhz, CPU 2.1 Ghz, Memory 2133 Mhz
  • Overclocked (V2/OLED) CPU 2.4 Ghz, GPU 1.2 Ghz, Memory 3 Ghz
  • V1 generated more heat
  • Guy will uses projector and here are the resolution for his projector
  • Resolution available: 4k 30 fps max for v1, 4K 60 hz for V2/Oled
  • The OLED supports 1080p120, 1440p60, 4k30
  • Games tried overclocked (Oled)
  • OpenLara 1080p120
  • Crispy Doom 1080p240
  • Wind waker 1440p120 (emulation)
  • Dbz budokai 1440p120hz GC emulation
  • Sonic heroes same as above
  • Lots of uses PS1, GC PSP emulation, Wine and Linux translation of late 90s and early 2000s.
  • Native arm port Doom 3 4K60 low settings
  • Super mario 64 port 4K60 (can run in 4k in handheld clock mode 307 mhz)
  • A link to the past port ranging from 90 fps to 700 fps
  • Switch games he can't change the resolution so he uses WINE to emulation Switch with Yuzu to do 4K.
  • Games tried are BDSP, let's Go, Super Mario RPG, Botw, TOTK
  • Can't turn on Vsync, very choppy runs between mid to low 20s fps
  • Botw and totk runs mid teens ( me guessing )
  • Bloody roar 4k60 (PS 1 emulation )
My thoughts
If the overclocked OLED Switch can run games some Switch Games in 4K, and it emulates itself. We will have no problem with backward compatibility. Also the Switch 2 is supposedly 6 times stronger than Switch 1 with more memory and faster memory bandwith. We might have more 4K games than the PS5...

2024 release doesn't seem impossible tbh, we know they're preparing factory lines for a while now, probably already stack some parts to start production, if it's backward compatible and they have at least 1 big game for the end of the year (MP4 for example), it would not be that stupid to have a soft launch with more games early 2025 to drive sales through the year and eventually introduce that OLED eveolution which is rumored to be coming quickly after LCD release

I mean... much as I loved my VB despite all the redness and am leaning on the idea of Switch 2 being more VR friendly to the point of reliving the lost potential of the GameCube, I would say that Nintendo loves its couch co-op philosophy too much to prioritize such a thing.

Also projectors rock.

until VR have a afordable price and is confortable to use(without giving you dizzyness, motion sickness and hurt your eyesight), will not hit mass market penetration

I mean, I did say "eventually". I don't think it's happening any time soon, but the technology will improve to a point eventually where it's a lot more affordable and accessible.

That being said, I don't think VR glasses are the end game. Local shared experiences are still important and I think something like the holodeck will resolve that for local experiences, though how that materializes for the mass market is not clear to me.

Here is a video of the Switch 1 doing 4K, doing Wine and Linux translation of late 90s and early 2000s PC games, and emulating Switch on Switch in 4K. See bullet points if you don't want to watch the videos.
  • V1 generated more heat
  • OpenLara 1080p120
  • Crispy Doom 1080p240
  • Lots of uses PS1, GC PSP emulation, Wine and Linux translation of late 90s and early 2000s.
  • Switch games he can't change the resolution so he uses WINE to emulation Switch with Yuzu to do 4K.
My thoughts
If the overclocked OLED Switch can run games some Switch Games in 4K, and it emulates itself. We will have no problem with backward compatibility. Also the Switch 2 is supposedly 6 times stronger than Switch 1 with more memory and faster memory bandwith. We might have more 4K games than the PS5...
How the fuck. Especially overclocking the memory by almost 2x.

How the fuck. Especially overclocking the memory by almost 2x.
Yeah. But since 98% of these are are low demanding games. I see why Nintendo never went the 4K not too mention OC can be dangerous. Not to mention of we went 4K this gen it would have severely impacted the marketing for the Switch 2.

I doubt it but I haven't counted it completely out quite yet.

May 7th... is a Tuesday.
Completely unrelated: you said one silly feature for the Switch earlier.... a built-in mic.... I miss some built-in mic gameplay and also voice communication.

• V1 generated more heat
  • OpenLara 1080p120
  • Crispy Doom 1080p240
My thoughts
Since they have WINE I want to see more modern games. Try FF XV on there.

Could I get an answer on why Samsung is hated? I'm not into tech. I thought even Apple got some stuff from Samsung?
For me personally it's less about Samsung, more about the node process itself - 10nm vs 5nm.

nvidia products, at least in current timeframe, are predominantly SEC8N or TSMC 4N (with newer entries increasingly the latter).

TSMC 4N would give roughly 2x better performance (thus giving Switch 2 more battery life).

However, yes, as others have said, Samsung foundry isn't that good. Something about poorer yields compared to TSMC, but this is not an area I am an expert in. Poor yields = more binned chips, I don't think there are clients out there that would want binned T239s. TSMC 4N have better yields (lesser binned T239s, lesser waste).

For me personally it's less about Samsung, more about the node process itself - 10nm vs 5nm.

nvidia products, at least in current timeframe, are predominantly SEC8N or TSMC 4N (with newer entries increasingly the latter).

TSMC 4N would give roughly 2x better performance (thus giving Switch 2 more battery life).

However, yes, as others have said, Samsung foundry isn't that good. Something about poorer yields compared to TSMC, but this is not an area I am an expert in. Poor yields = more binned chips, I don't think there are clients out there that would want binned T239s. TSMC 4N have better yields (lesser binned T239s, lesser waste).
More profit.

with Vandal mention pro controller backward compatibility is extremely nice to hear, hopefully the joy cons will also work via Bluetooth or whatever.
Assuming the Vandal report is accurate, even though I'm glad I can keep using all of my current controllers, I am a bit worried that this is the nail in the coffin for analog triggers. They might not be very popular here, but they're still something I was hoping for.
Maybe he was right, but we couldn’t see it
spiderman-jj-jameson.gif

Also the Wii U had backward compatibility with the Wii controller, but some games didn’t work, because of the game pad.

We might see some game covers include
,, compatible with the pro controller’’
Something like this could still allow analog triggers to exist. It's not like clicky triggers can't coexist with them either, at least in most games.

Wait, how does that work? do you need to have Cristiano Ronaldo level thighs in order for the ir sensor to line up with your leg???
You grip the Joy-Con attached to the Ring-Con and hold your thumb across the IR camera. It’s done after you complete a level in the Adventure mode.

Also, to correct the post you’re quoting, there are other games beyond that, 1-2-Switch, and WarioWare: Move It! that use the IR camera, too, like Dr Kawashima’s Brain Training for Nintendo Switch, the Nintendo Labo games, and Game Builder Garage. Plus I believe some Resident Evil game uses it as well, and there may be other third-party games that use it of which I’m not aware.

Assuming the Vandal report is accurate, even though I'm glad I can keep using all of my current controllers, I am a bit worried that this is the nail in the coffin for analog triggers. They might not be very popular here, but they're still something I was hoping for.
I don't think that's any indication of what the current controller is capable of. That would be like worrying that the Wii can't do motion control because it has gamecube controller. (Assuming it is early 2005 and we are going by rumors like this)

Screen+Shot+2019-12-11+at+15.16.44.jpg
I’m going to have to remind some folks and enlighten a few others, but the CPT has a portion at the bottom jutting out. It’s nowhere near as tall as the rest of the skyscraper but it’s sorta like a Gigantic L shaped building.

The Burj Al Gaib is self explanatory.

Anyway I was hoping and still am that there is a new pro controller because the current D-Pad is straight up ass. I’m not sugarcoating it. It’s annoying when I press the up direction and the left or the right directionals
Get triggered instead of UP. A new one that addresses this and straight up improves on the Pro controller would be a huge welcome because it was pretty good otherwise for the most part.

But,
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Screen+Shot+2019-12-11+at+15.16.44.jpg
I’m going to have to remind some folks and enlighten a few others, but the CPT has a portion at the bottom jutting out. It’s nowhere near as tall as the rest of the skyscraper but it’s sorta like a Gigantic L shaped building.

The Burj Al Gaib is self explanatory.

Anyway I was hoping and still am that there is a new pro controller because the current D-Pad is straight up ass. I’m not sugarcoating it. It’s annoying when I press the up direction and the left or the right directionals
Get triggered instead of UP. A new one that addresses this and straight up improves on the Pro controller would be a huge welcome because it was pretty good otherwise for the most part.

But, * Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

You know I've been mostly watching and lurking here after things have gotten quiet and we found out about the Switch 2 getting delayed. Glad that didn't last too long.

Side note: if it is true that they won't release a new pro controller model, then I'll be a little disappointed because the current one is perfect aside from one thing for me. A lack of a headphone jack. Still holding out hope.

If they were to go with an OLED screen, then they may lock themselves into a deal with Samsung just from practicality's sake, as there are so few suppliers, but screens are something they'd like to multi-source if at all possible (and may be a reason for them to launch with an LCD panel).
Assuming Bloomberg's article back in May 2023 has merit, I think that depends on the extent of Sharp's involvement in the R&D phase.

Nintendo had Sharp as an exclusive supplier of LCD displays for the Nintendo 3DS family (here, (here & here), and here).

So if the Nintendo Switch's successor's using a custom LCD display from Sharp (perhaps a 60 Hz display with VRR support?), then I think there's a possibility Sharp could be an exclusive supplier of LCD displays for the Nintendo Switch's successor, although that's obviously not deal from Nintendo's point of view.

Say it was a typo, and it's Samsung 7LPP rather than the mythical 7LPH.

Is 7LPP any good, or is it shit like what I'm about to do here in a few minutes time?
Samsung's 7LPP process node probably has been discontinued for a long while in favour of Samsung's 5LPP process node, which is considered an evolution of Samsung's 7LPP process node.

And based on Qualcomm's and Samsung's paper presented at IEDM 2022, Samsung's 5LPP process node's probably on par with TSMC's N6 process node at ≤1.8 GHz. (TSMC didn't promise any performance improvement(s) between TSMC's N7 process node and TSMC's N6 process node.)

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
I don’t think Nintendo is really going to go crazy with the budget, and there’s not much that the switch next can do that the switch current can’t do besides simply choosing not to do them on the current switch from Nintendo themselves. Even Microsoft, who added next generation features like Quick Resume didn’t cause the same OS to increase in size, it decreased on the Seires consoles vs the Xbox One consoles.

Sony just straight up made a new OS for the PS5, and that takes up even more space.

So I’m going to have to disagree on that, at least a bit.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom