• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I don’t think Nintendo is really going to go crazy with the budget, and there’s not much that the switch next can do that the switch current can’t do besides simply choosing not to do them on the current switch from Nintendo themselves. Even Microsoft, who added next generation features like Quick Resume didn’t cause the same OS to increase in size, it decreased on the Seires consoles vs the Xbox One consoles.

Sony just straight up made a new OS for the PS5, and that takes up even more space.

So I’m going to have to disagree on that, at least a bit.
I don't really think were disagreeing, just saying they could add features like longer recording and higher than 720p resolution. I agree they will probably keep in line with the minimalist design philosophy of the current OS.

Switch Attach is Nintendo On, Nintendo Fusion level of meme branding. Maybe these names were considered at some point or someone made them up in their basement. Afaik that user survey with Switch Attach listed has never been verified as legit and may as well be a photoshop.

A whole lot of things leaked about the Switch but the branding was never leaked until it's official trailer reveal. Don't know why it would be any different now with the launch a year away, the actual name will be need to know only for those prepping trailers for the expected reveal later this year. No one else, including 3rd party survey companies or devs would need to know

The speculation about a rounder charger made me think about Nintendo's history about repurposing both AC adapters and batteries. Why would Switch 2 use a rounder one when they could use the same one, as they did with all DSi and 3DS models? It's easier to streamline the simultaneous production of Switch 1 and Switch 2 that way.

I guess it could be either Switch 2 being more power hungry or the cable now being USB-C compliant.

Assuming Bloomberg's article back in May 2023 has merit, I think that depends on the extent of Sharp's involvement in the R&D phase.

Nintendo had Sharp as an exclusive supplier of LCD displays for the Nintendo 3DS family (here, (here & here), and here).

So if the Nintendo Switch's successor's using a custom LCD display from Sharp (perhaps a 60 Hz display with VRR support?), then I think there's a possibility Sharp could be an exclusive supplier of LCD displays for the Nintendo Switch's successor, although that's obviously not deal from Nintendo's point of view.
I also think its a real possibility that Innolux will assemble Sharp designed displays.

"Innolux would assemble Sharp TVs at a factory owned by the consumer electronics brand in a central Indian state, said Shiao, who also heads Innolux’s TV assembly business."

You know I've been mostly watching and lurking here after things have gotten quiet and we found out about the Switch 2 getting delayed. Glad that didn't last too long.

Side note: if it is true that they won't release a new pro controller model, then I'll be a little disappointed because the current one is perfect aside from one thing for me. A lack of a headphone jack. Still holding out hope.
The article states that the current controller will continue to work, not that they won't make a new one. All the Wii's controllers and accessories worked on the Wii U, and many first-party Wii U titles supported at least the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, if not the Classic Controller as well, and they still made a new Pro Controller for that system. I would imagine some level of a repeat scenario here.

I don't think Samsung's efficiency problems are gonna play out all that much for Nintendo. they don't max out their chips like Qualcomm does, so they're not gonna have the same issue the 8G1 did
I also don't believe Nintendo's going to be aggressive on frequencies. But I can still see a good amount of SoCs being binned due to not being able to have consistent performance at lower watts. And that's not good for Nvidia, especially since I can't really see any electronics that sells decent numbers that can actually make use of the binned SoCs.

TSMC 7nm+ would be a good node (though no NVIDIA product ever used 7nm+ AKA 6nm IIRC)
Nvidia's custom variant of TSMC's 7 nm* process node (TSMC N7, TSMC 7N, TSMC 7), does inherit single diffusion break (SDB) from TSMC's N6 process node.
* → a marketing nomenclature used by all foundry companies

I also think its a real possibility that Innolux will assemble Sharp designed displays.

"Innolux would assemble Sharp TVs at a factory owned by the consumer electronics brand in a central Indian state, said Shiao, who also heads Innolux’s TV assembly business."
And I believe most, if not almost all, of the LCD displays used in the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Switch Lite since 2017 were supplied by Innolux.

So I think Nintendo having only one LCD supplier for the Nintendo Switch's successor practically speaking is a possibility.

Please refrain from posting NSFW jokes and/or terminology. – Party Sklar, BassForever, Zellia, Lord Azrael, meatbag
Depending on the Joy-Cons, so are the OLED rails. (For clarification: On my Launch OLED, the white Joy-Cons that came with it are a bit wobbly, the Zelda-themed ones are firm and not wobbly)

Still, even wobbly, the controllers are tightly locked to the system, removing them any other way but sliding out means you either damaged the controllers, the rails on the system ... or both. So you could say they're failsafe.

I still can't think of a magnetic connection that is even somewhat failsafe like this.

There must be a way to physically lock them after attaching them. Anything else just screams "Class action lawsuit".
Magnetic controllers could be super secure so long as the connectors are inserted into the tablet with tabs of a sort.

Fixed :confused: .

Last edited:
I also don't believe Nintendo's going to be aggressive on frequencies. But I can still see a good amount of SoCs being binned due to not being able to have consistent performance at lower watts. And that's not good for Nvidia, especially since I can't really see any electronics that sells decent numbers that can actually make use of the binned SoCs.
A Switch 2 TV would be the perfect place for an SoC discarded due to heat or excessive consumption.

some of stuff hidden in posts is so completely unnecessary that it just takes away from the point of it.
Why do you guys keep hiding posts? This is a gaming site, not a cult. It’s not that serious lol

This is just my opinion, but if somebody wants to use hide I don’t see an issue. Don’t overthink it.

Hiding could be for any number of reasons, key among them being that they don’t want that particular statement traced to them outside of the site, and want to minimize its traceability in the site (ie. hidden quotes can’t be read). Others hide responses to hidden posts out of general respect.

It just so happens some posters here have had very unpleasant experiences from their posts being shared outside of the site.

Also not to be a punk but the magnet thing was found in customs data here a long time ago, with "magnetically attaching joycon" being something speculated about in this thread at the time. And the "rounder shape" was something one of the funcles said last year, shared here by a Fami user. So let's be careful about giving ninspider credit for "leaking" this stuff and then believing whatever they say next. Gotta be careful that we don't get so hungry for a "new insider" that we fall for someone who could easily just be skimming and repeating info from this very thread.
This.

Posted on r/GL&R but what the fuck is going on today?

Doesn't this lineup with Mochi's reporting way back in 2021 that the pro model was going to using samsung parts? We got the OLED of course, but a lot of Mochis' reporting was either correct (to the OLED) , or didn't happen but is retrospectively possibly correct, like this piece about Samsung being a major partner for Nintendo.

From what I saw, this guy didn't switch his ram. He just ramped it to the max. They should work together.
If you look their videos, there's one of them replacing the NAND and RAM.

The video in the post I linked is a follow up which was specifically about the games which detected the device had 8GB and automatically used the other 4GB.

For me it's

1. Nintendo Switch Next
2. Nintendo Switch Advance
3. Super Nintendo Switch
78391. Nintendo Switch Attach

Beat me to it lol

Here is the TLDR
  • Switch 2 is expected to launch as early as the second half of this year
  • Suppliers have reportedly reached a considerable degree of agreement for initial production contracts.
  • Samsung Foundry will fabricate the SoC on Samsung's 7LPH process node
  • Samsung will provide the NAND storage for both the cartridges and internal memory
  • Samsung has overcome competitors from China to be the display supplier

Huh... could launch this Year? Huh, neat, that could explain the whole drought Nintendo Switch Line-Up... or am I missing something?

This is just my opinion, but if somebody wants to use hide I don’t see an issue. Don’t overthink it.

Hiding could be for any number of reasons, key among them being that they don’t want that particular statement traced to them outside of the site, and want to minimize its traceability in the site (ie. hidden quotes can’t be read). Others hide responses to hidden posts out of general respect.

It just so happens some posters here have had very unpleasant experiences from their posts being shared outside of the site.
yes which is why I specifically said some of the posts take away the points you make.

Maybe today was the wrong day to say anything cause my complaint very obviously doesn't apply to today stuff haha.

So the last 3 pages can be summed up as
d9d2e.jpg
And skyscrapers, idk how that started but I am here for the Switch 2 madness gosh darn it.

Assuming Bloomberg's article back in May 2023 has merit, I think that depends on the extent of Sharp's involvement in the R&D phase.

Nintendo had Sharp as an exclusive supplier of LCD displays for the Nintendo 3DS family (here, (here & here), and here).

So if the Nintendo Switch's successor's using a custom LCD display from Sharp (perhaps a 60 Hz display with VRR support?), then I think there's a possibility Sharp could be an exclusive supplier of LCD displays for the Nintendo Switch's successor, although that's obviously not deal from Nintendo's point of view.

Samsung's 7LPP process node probably has been discontinued for a long while in favour of Samsung's 5LPP process node, which is considered an evolution of Samsung's 7LPP process node.

And based on Qualcomm's and Samsung's paper presented at IEDM 2022, Samsung's 5LPP process node's probably on par with TSMC's N6 process node at ≤1.8 GHz. (TSMC didn't promise any performance improvement(s) between TSMC's N7 process node and TSMC's N6 process node.)

So that could be myth busted right there then. Though it’s not impossible for the foundry to rev up again, but at that point, why?

And given T239 was taped out sometime in 2022, which would indicate 7LPP might’ve still been used, would certainly not today. One hypothetical scenario of this could be those tweets from awhile ago about dev kits being recalled. Perhaps the t239 was in fact taped out on that node originally, but because Samsung was moving away from that node not long after tape out, NVidia/Nintendo decided to pivot, and use a more advanced node, possibly like you mention 5LPP, which isn’t s good as TSMC 4N, but still a lot better than SEC8N. Though this scenario might be completely unwarranted since NVidia/Nintendo would likely have prior knowledge of this, negating any reason to tape out on 7LPP to begin with.

Any additional thoughts to add?

Huh... could launch this Year? Huh, neat, that could explain the whole drought Nintendo Switch Line-Up... or am I missing something?
„as early as” second half of this year only means that it technically could launch this year. However, with prior rumors it’s pretty clear that it won’t come out in 2024.

Why do you guys keep hiding posts? This is a gaming site, not a cult. It’s not that serious lol
This thread’s content gets picked up by YouTubers and it has resulted in some members getting harassment.

In 2022 some of the Nvidia hack content wound up here, and the hide tags were used to confound search engines when the fear of a take down was real.

Since then, some quasi-inside information gets put in hide tags, to prevent said harassment and we’ve just developed a culture of replying in the same. We just kinda get sick of doing detective work, having someone misunderstand it, and make a YouTube video taking credit, and the we wind up arguing with people who say we’re wrong about the thing we discovered

Nintendo can do whatever the hell they want, but there aren't massive changes to battery tech, and the physics of heat haven't changed either.

If Nintendo wants the same battery life in the same size device, they need the same power draw.

The general assumption is that the launch Switch's battery life is lower than Nintendo wanted, but was a consequence of an off-the-shelf chip built for laptops. That matches Nintendo's behavior at the time: they aggressively downclocked handheld and then had to backtrack very close to launch in order to get ports (including Zelda) working and they quickly shrunk the chip.

If the Switch's launch battery life wasn't good enough, and Nintendo is designing this chip from scratch (so unlikely to have more than a sub node improvement), Nintendo will either have to make the device bigger, or drop power draw.

Similar for heat. There is new tech for heat management, but that only addresses one half of the equation - how do you move heat fast enough to protect the chip. A vapour chamber is good at protecting the chip, but it still makes the heat still has to go somewhere. For a totally stationary console, put a big vent in. For a phone, heat up the backplate, and trust no one will run it at high speeds long enough to get uncomfortably hot. For a handheld that needs to support a docked experience, that you expect children to be using, your options become more limited.

If Nintendo gets good battery life and ergonomics with a higher power draw (and thus more performance), I'll be happy, but I think to keep ourselves sane, we really have to imagine the launch Switch's power draw as a ceiling, not a floor.

Any chance we could see a power draw increase in docked mode alone? So, 7w handheld targeting the 1080p screen and 25w docked mode targeting 2160p TVs? I have heard that the cooling system in the current Switch is already pretty overbuilt - maybe adding a vapour chamber to that is all that would really be needed?

So (speculating here) manufacturing is about to begin potentially as early as next month and was initially targeting a fall release date. Since manufacturing contracts are in place and are very difficult to change at the last moment due to how many customers Samsung would have waiting and ordering use of those factories, the Switch will still be going into production real soon.

This makes me wonder if a system reveal will be happening sooner then we thought? Nintendo will want to get ahead of significant factory leaks and I feel like the system specs and appearance would likely leak from the factory if not officially revealed by Nintendo.

Could we see a May, June or July hardware reveal? Even if this system isn't due out until, let's say, March 2025 the options for Nintendo would like be either reveal the system yourself or risk shoddy factory line leaks and coverage. I feel it would be in Nintendo's best interest to get ahead of the leaks and reveal the system before any potential major leaks could hit the internet.

Potentially exciting times coming at us fast...

For those who didn't feel like watching the video, here:
Here is a video of the Switch 1 doing 4K, doing Wine and Linux translation of late 90s and early 2000s PC games, and emulating Switch on Switch in 4K. See bullet points if you don't want to watch the videos.
  • Man has a hard modded switch of all variation
  • Perform test on original and OLED Switch.
  • Mainly does test on OLED as it performs better.
  • Here are the clock/overclock status
  • Handheld: CPU 1.02GHz, GPU 307-460 mhz, memory 1331 mhz
  • Docked (V1) CPU 1.02 Ghz, GPU 768 Mhz, memory 1600 Mhz
  • Overclocked (V1) GPU 921 Mhz, CPU 2.1 Ghz, Memory 2133 Mhz
  • Overclocked (V2/OLED) CPU 2.4 Ghz, GPU 1.2 Ghz, Memory 3 Ghz
  • V1 generated more heat
  • Guy will uses projector and here are the resolution for his projector
  • Resolution available: 4k 30 fps max for v1, 4K 60 hz for V2/Oled
  • The OLED supports 1080p120, 1440p60, 4k30
  • Games tried overclocked (Oled)
  • OpenLara 1080p120
  • Crispy Doom 1080p240
  • Wind waker 1440p120 (emulation)
  • Dbz budokai 1440p120hz GC emulation
  • Sonic heroes same as above
  • Lots of uses PS1, GC PSP emulation, Wine and Linux translation of late 90s and early 2000s.
  • Native arm port Doom 3 4K60 low settings
  • Super mario 64 port 4K60 (can run in 4k in handheld clock mode 307 mhz)
  • A link to the past port ranging from 90 fps to 700 fps
  • Switch games he can't change the resolution so he uses WINE to emulation Switch with Yuzu to do 4K.
  • Games tried are BDSP, let's Go, Super Mario RPG, Botw, TOTK
  • Can't turn on Vsync, very choppy runs between mid to low 20s fps
  • Botw and totk runs mid teens ( me guessing )
  • Bloody roar 4k60 (PS 1 emulation )
My thoughts
If the overclocked OLED Switch can run games some Switch Games in 4K, and it emulates itself. We will have no problem with backward compatibility. Also the Switch 2 is supposedly 6 times stronger than Switch 1 with more memory and faster memory bandwith. We might have more 4K games than the PS5...
@oldpuck what do you think?

M
So (speculating here) manufacturing is about to begin potentially as early as next month and was initially targeting a fall release date. Since manufacturing contracts are in place and are very difficult to change at the last moment due to how many customers Samsung would have waiting and ordering use of those factories, the Switch will still be going into production real soon.

This makes me wonder if a system reveal will be happening sooner then we thought? Nintendo will want to get ahead of significant factory leaks and I feel like the system specs and appearance would likely leak from the factory if not officially revealed by Nintendo.

Could we see a May, June or July hardware reveal? Even if this system isn't due out until, let's say, March 2025 the options for Nintendo would like be either reveal the system yourself or risk shoddy factory line leaks and coverage. I feel it would be in Nintendo's best interest to get ahead of the leaks and reveal the system before any potential major leaks could hit the internet.

Potentially exciting times coming at us fast...
We are so close to a new 3D Mario.
Gosh having 3D mario, Mario Kart X, couple of ports and new ips sounds so good, heck we might even see some franchise revivals as well and all of them being possibly 4K sounds awesome

8622a3a92fa851b7ca091b498a5b7a3ec92bfeea_hq.jpg

If you look their videos, there's one of them replacing the NAND and RAM.

The video in the post I linked is a follow up which was specifically about the games which detected the device had 8GB and automatically used the other 4GB.
Oh I must have missed that part, thank you!

M

We are so close to a new 3D Mario.
Gosh having 3D mario, Mario Kart X, couple of ports and new ips sounds so good, heck we might even see some franchise revivals as well and all of them being possibly 4K sounds awesome

8622a3a92fa851b7ca091b498a5b7a3ec92bfeea_hq.jpg
Hmm, I have wonder what they would do for the next mario game. If they were take advantage of the hardware what kind of gameplay would it have?

Sounds perfect for Nintendo's usual mature+cheap nodes strategy, no?
no, that makes it more expensive. discontinued processes mean the fab products have to be moved out for new fab products. if Nintendo was the last one on that product, they'd be paying an exorbitant amount because just keeping these plugged in is a massive cost

Regarding that weird black box hands on but not eyes on rumor: that's going to be so hilarious in retrospect when this thing literally ends up just being a Switch 2. Why is Nintendo being so weird?

Hmm, I have wonder what they would do for the next mario game. If they were take advantage of the hardware what kind of gameplay would it have?
I would personally like something similar to Bowser fury, in which it's a seamless open world game. Also would be a nice showcase of everything really.
  • Ray tracing
  • Non existent load time
  • 4K capability
  • Textures
Like with the success of Botw i would presume Nintendo would want a genre defining game that will set a new standard to be a launch title
p2G9BWdBfZNJ7UgMoJk7XW-1200-80.jpg

Like having a lot of games at launch doesn't mean an automatic success, most of the time it takes one game to make people realise that this system is the real deal, like compare the Wii U launch line up vs the Switch launch line up.

lineup_2017_alt.png
Nintendo-Wii-U-Launch-Titles.jpg

I would personally like something similar to Bowser fury, in which it's a seamless open world game. Also would be a nice showcase of everything really.
  • Ray tracing
  • Non existent load time
  • 4K capability
  • Textures
Like with the success of Botw i would presume Nintendo would want a genre defining game that will set a new standard to be a launch title
p2G9BWdBfZNJ7UgMoJk7XW-1200-80.jpg

Like having a lot of games at launch doesn't mean an automatic success, most of the time it takes one game to make people realise that this system is the real deal, like compare the Wii U launch line up vs the Switch launch line up.

lineup_2017_alt.png
Nintendo-Wii-U-Launch-Titles.jpg
I'm pretty sure there were more switch games than that. Wasn't Super bomberman R a day 1 game?

I'm pretty sure there were more switch games than that. Wasn't Super bomberman R a day 1 game?
couldn't find a better picture surprisingly.

Like the switch launched with

GameDeveloperRetail or Digital
1-2-SwitchNintendoRetail
Just Dance 2017UbisoftRetail
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the WildNintendoRetail
Skylanders: ImaginatorsActivisionRetail
Super Bomberman RKonamiRetail
I Am SetsunaTokyo RPG FactoryDigital
SnipperclipsNintendoDigital
Shovel Knight: Treasure TroveYacht Club GamesDigital
Shovel Knight: Specter of TormentYacht Club GamesDigital
Fast RMX
Wii U launch titles

Like the thing that the Switch had, that the Wii U didn't have at launch was the killer app, like botw quite literally chanced everything for Nintendo and made Zelda into a household name, like 30 million copies for only one console is an absolutely impressive feat.

Like i personally expect the Switch 2 launch title to consist of 3D Mario and smaller scales games, mostly indies, now third party is something i'm quite intrigued in.

Both sources were by IGN.

Any name that is "Switch _" where _ is not "2" is a terrible name for a new console. It's literally the Wii U all over again; you're just begging for customer confusion.
Yeah, Xbox series x. Series S. Xbox One. Idk the difference between any of these lmaoo

Regarding that weird black box hands on but not eyes on rumor: that's going to be so hilarious in retrospect when this thing literally ends up just being a Switch 2. Why is Nintendo being so weird?
They are weird because this is pretty standard fare for tech companies. Even if it ends up being just a Switch 2 they wanna control the messaging

Switch had 5 retail games on launch day (1-2-Switch, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Just Dance 2017, Skylanders: Imaginators, and Super Bomberman R) and just over a dozen eShop-only titles (including Snipperclips, I Am Setsuna, and the eternal GOTY Vroom in the Night Sky).

Wii U had 32 launch games, four of them published by Nintendo (NSMBU, Nintendo Land, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, and Sing Party). Wii U had the biggest launch of any Nintendo console, but that doesn't mean much when the sales slow to the crawl after two months and you can't start putting out a steady cadence of first-party titles for another eight months, causing major third-parties to abandon ship outside toys-for-life by the end of 2013.

I doubt a launch this year explains the “drought”. Most likely we just haven’t seen Nintendo’s plans like every year we have this topic of discussion
What exactly could Nintendo release this year to move more switch units?

3 scenarios

1. Holiday game. Switch 2 gets released this year. Multiplatform. MP4?
2. Holiday game. Switch 2 doesn't get released this year, but game also comes out on switch 2 on release.
3. no holiday game. Or not a big one. But a price drop.

MP4 not gonna sell more than 3 million copies though.. Not on one platform at least.

3D Mario is the best bet, but imo that's if it's launched this fall and it's multiplatform.

And skyscrapers, idk how that started but I am here for the Switch 2 madness gosh darn it.
LISAN AL GHAIB.

8nm Samsung, 800p screen, 8GB RAM, 128GB storage UFS 3, 8x 78c CPUs at 1GHz, 2.8TFLOPs docked. August 8 announcement for November 08 2024 erase. Lucky 8s baybee.

Letsss not gooo!

The article states that the current controller will continue to work, not that they won't make a new one. All the Wii's controllers and accessories worked on the Wii U, and many first-party Wii U titles supported at least the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, if not the Classic Controller as well, and they still made a new Pro Controller for that system. I would imagine some level of a repeat scenario here.
Agreed Considering how huge the switch isn't all nase is, I'd be surprised if joycons weren't compatible via Bluetooth. Of course, switch 2 joycons will have little to no drifts and hall sticks if we're lucky..4

Last edited:
Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom