• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I have no idea what buyer uncle is implying, so I’m just gonna leave this here:

IMG-6297.jpg

Edit: Buncle’s tweets can be hard to parse, because they are often highly colloquial and/or deliberately vague.
Is it just me or does it sound like Buncle is making a joke? "It seems to me that this company Nintendo is making announcements, I wonder if that has anything to do with Nintendo releasing products?"

Is it just me or does it sound like Buncle is making a joke? "It seems to me that this company Nintendo is making announcements, I wonder if that has anything to do with Nintendo releasing products?"
A joke with Apple also releasing the new iPad models I presume

I think the Google Translation of the tweet isn't well-translated. The original Japanese tweet doesn't say anything related to production.
The following would be a bit more appropriate:

My translation: There is a strong impression that Nintendo accommodates a certain company's announcement.
DeepL translation: Nintendo has a strong image of coming in line with the announcements of certain companies.

And I think it might be related to Microsoft/Xbox as Nintendo pushed the Feb direct because of Xbox stuffs?
Something similar might happen in June when both Nintendo & Xbox hold a show.

Yes, they could. MP4 won't be the only thing in Switch 2 launch lineup, lmao.
Yes but they won't be big new games, likely 3rd party ports like Baldur's Gate 3 and Elden Ring. Japan does not care for Metroid. You need something with mass worldwide appeal for your big launch game.

Yes but they won't be big new games, likely 3rd party ports like Baldur's Gate 3 and Elden Ring. Japan does not care for Metroid. You need something with mass worldwide appeal for your big launch game.

Okay? I fail to see why that would mean MP4 couldn't be part of Switch 2 launch lineup 🤷‍♂️

Cross gen vs BC is a pretty huge difference as it is probably the difference between a Switch 1 game having good image and texture quality vs not.

They seem to be strongly pointing to cross gen Pokemon ZA as the main launch title regardless.

360_F_48498848_QoMCMlLeHrKOTLfdE4sbuLcOLEK0jwxz.jpg

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

No more gimmicks, no more "starting over" with a new generation, no new name/brand. Just "the next Switch model". So this console is basically guaranteed at this point to have "Switch" in the name. Now we just need to hope that it's something like "Switch 2" and not "Switch Attach".....

But it feels like they're finally using the Sony playbook: give us a new box that's more powerful, has better controllers/features...but nothing entirely revolutionary. I'm pretty sure all anyone wants for Nintendo's next system is another hybrid console with significantly more power and just more great games - and it sounds like Nintendo will be delivering that.
I mean I was still holding out hope for something more Nintendo-y but I recognize I was in the vast minority on that

edit: MINORITY, not majority lmao. freudian slip perhaps?

Last edited:
I don't think you guys have forgotten the Mobapad leaks, the new joycon has three new buttons and I think the odds are that it's a new gimmick.
We haven't. I also haven't forgotten all the SFC (colored) buttons fun. Looking forward to eventually finding out what's true, what's not!

It was one new button for each of joycon in the back, plus a new button on the front of the right Joycon, right?

So you think they will launch Metroid the same day as, say, big 3D Mario or Mario Kart? I don't see why they wouldn't rather have it before or after
Launch lineups have a purpose in mind - they're going to want to appeal a variety of gamers on launch day (or in launch window). The goal is to establish a decent sized userbase as quickly as possible.

They cannot do that if they do something like launching with 3D Mario alone and nothing else really exciting in the launch lineup.

So you think they will launch Metroid the same day as, say, big 3D Mario or Mario Kart? I don't see why they wouldn't rather have it before or after
People will buy more than 1 game on launch for the Switch 2. People bought things like 1-2 Switch simply because it was there day 1, imagine what that could do for Metroid - a series that is already a thing and isn't a horrible gimmick techdemo.

Launch lineups have a purpose in mind - they're going to want to appeal a variety of gamers on launch day (or in launch window). The goal is to establish a decent sized userbase as quickly as possible.

They cannot do that if they do something like launching with 3D Mario alone and nothing else really exciting in the launch lineup.
Yeah, I'm just looking forward now to whether the magnetic joycon will turn out to be Nintendo's new gameplay as well.

What fun news to come back to. Much of last week was people trying to preemptively cope with no acknowledgment of new hardware - this seems like a best case scenario given it’s not yet formally announced. Super transparent messaging from Furukawa.

I mean I was still holding out hope for something more Nintendo-y but I recognize I was in the vast majority on that
I think the majority don't have some kind of narrative about gimmicks vs. iteration and don't care as long as it's.good.

My guess is that Nintendo will be holding June Direct later than Xbox because of Silksong.
I am personally not expecting to hear anything related to the Drake Switch in June as Nintendo specifically said they won't.

I wouldn't be surprised if we find out the clock speeds before node tbh.
I think that's very likely how it'd play out. We'll know about clock speeds and begin to try to make educated guesses on the node process.

Not sure if someone will eventually pay for dieshot analysis (which can be expensive) - that'd reveal the node process.

So the Tech Powerup spec sheet was wrong then?

If so, that would mean the Wii had a monstrous bandwidth upgrade from GC.
Eh, not really. It’s 2.6GB/s vs 3.9GB/s, so a 50% upgrade.

The Wii U to Switch was a a bigger % upgrade, using the main ram. 12.5GB/s vs 25.6GB/s

Super transparent messaging from Furukawa.
I'm really warming up to Furukawa, specially since I researched him a little while back and found out he actually is somewhat of a game player.
When asked at the conference what games he enjoys, Furukawa didn’t just toss off the names of Nintendo’s big hits—he actually name-checked the cult indie hit Golf Story (which is even less well-known in Japan than it is here). That’s a gamer right there.

I mean I was still holding out hope for something more Nintendo-y but I recognize I was in the vast minority on that

edit: MINORITY, not majority lmao. freudian slip perhaps?
I'm in the weird boat of thinking I want a Switch 2, but also recognizing Nintendo knows what I want better than I do. I'd probably love a weird thing again, but I'm simply too unimaginative to realize that.

I'm in the weird boat of thinking I want a Switch 2, but also recognizing Nintendo knows what I want better than I do. I'd probably love a weird thing again, but I'm simply too unimaginative to realize that.
Considering that Furukawa has mentioned that Nintendo is working on a number of technologies that could be implemented to revolutionize the specific gameplay experience, we can really expect the following to be what they're working on.

What an absurd day for gaming news. Coming home from work and trying to absorb all of this.....Nintendo sales numbers and Switch 2 details, Microsoft drama, etc.

Anyway, I was extremely relieved when I read the following:

No more gimmicks, no more "starting over" with a new generation, no new name/brand. Just "the next Switch model". So this console is basically guaranteed at this point to have "Switch" in the name. Now we just need to hope that it's something like "Switch 2" and not "Switch Attach".....

But it feels like they're finally using the Sony playbook: give us a new box that's more powerful, has better controllers/features...but nothing entirely revolutionary. I'm pretty sure all anyone wants for Nintendo's next system is another hybrid console with significantly more power and just more great games - and it sounds like Nintendo will be delivering that.

This guy is known for very loose translations of what Nintendo said during investor briefings. With all the context we have, it seems most likely that the actual quote used the same "successor to Nintendo Switch" phrasing that has been used elsewhere.

Either way, probably best not to read too far into his specific phrasing.

I kind of take issue with the thinking that Nintendo can’t be weird and innovative while playing with the Switch form factor and brand. It’s a perfect canvas for continued innovation, especially as much of their innovation has been in controllers.

Why can’t there be a gimmick here? The only things they’re beholden to are: 1. It’s a tablet with detachable controllers; 2. It switches to a few different form factors (and supporting all of them for every game isn’t a requirement); 3. It fully supports modern control schemes at a minimum. Arguably 3 is the only limiting part of the design, but frankly if dropping standard buttons is the requirement to be weird (it’s not), then I’d rather they not be weird again.

I’m optimistic that we’ll get whatever the new cow milking meme is within the next 12 months.

machine translation: "Despite the announcement of the new model, Nintendo's stock price is falling. It is highly likely that the new model will be released after 2025, and it is judged that this fiscal year will be tough. Since Nintendo used the word "successor machine", investors are predicting a development similar to Wii → Wii U, rather than a generational change like Wii → Switch."

If machine translation is to be believed, idk why it is "highly likely after 2025" (I'm thinking mistranslation).

But definitely sounds like a bit of dooming over there.. thinking this would be like Wii -> Wii U 🤷‍♂️

Not the stock price 😭

Seriously though, Nintendo will be just fine.
Well yeah I don't particularly care about Nintendo share prices. That's not why I shared the tweet.

I'm kind of wondering about the "after 2025" part, unless that was mistranslated by machine translation.

There haven't been rumblings about another delay; I have no reason to believe things will be pushed further beyond March 2025, so not sure where this was coming from.

machine translation: "Despite the announcement of the new model, Nintendo's stock price is falling. It is highly likely that the new model will be released after 2025, and it is judged that this fiscal year will be tough. Since Nintendo used the word "successor machine", investors are predicting a development similar to Wii → Wii U, rather than a generational change like Wii → Switch."

If machine translation is to be believed, idk why it is "highly likely after 2025" (I'm thinking mistranslation).

But definitely sounds like a bit of dooming over there.. thinking this would be like Wii -> Wii U 🤷‍♂️

It's true that the failure of the wiiu or no wiiu has made most investors very concerned about the successor to the previous generation of consoles, but of course I think those concerns are unfounded and completely unnecessary.

Well yeah I don't particularly care about Nintendo share prices. That's not why I shared the tweet.

I'm kind of wondering about the "after 2025" part, unless that was mistranslated by machine translation.

There haven't been rumblings about another delay; I have no reason to believe things will be pushed further beyond March 2025, so not sure where this was coming from.
No, the Japanese phrase means that the Switch 2 will be released after 2025, not "announced".That means it's in line with the general speculation of a March 2025 release.

発売=hit the market

It's true that the failure of the wiiu or no wiiu has made most investors very concerned about the successor to the previous generation of consoles, but of course I think those concerns are unfounded and completely unnecessary.
You read Japanese right? Are you getting the same message here as the machine translation, they think this is highly likely to be released "after 2025"?

Edit: Nvm, saw your most recent reply above.

Weird to say that because it's not a complete departure from the previous system that it must mean another Wii U fiasco is in order. Sony has kept the PlayStation very consistent and their console hasn't fallen off (besides the PS3, but they brought that back in the end).

I believe that means after FY25, which would end next March. They're not going to reveal a system more than a year out, so 2026 isn't happening.

please note this is the guy that got directly called out by nintendo with regards to the switch pro in 2021. dooming them since then is his thing.

You read Japanese right? Are you getting the same message here as the machine translation, they think this is highly likely to be released "after 2025"?

Edit: Nvm, saw your most recent reply above.
発売=selling,

His statement is exactly in line with the prevailing speculation.The machine translation you are using is not quite accurate.

I kind of take issue with the thinking that Nintendo can’t be weird and innovative while playing with the Switch form factor and brand. It’s a perfect canvas for continued innovation, especially as much of their innovation has been in controllers.

Why can’t there be a gimmick here?
The only things they’re beholden to are: 1. It’s a tablet with detachable controllers; 2. It switches to a few different form factors (and supporting all of them for every game isn’t a requirement); 3. It fully supports modern control schemes at a minimum. Arguably 3 is the only limiting part of the design, but frankly if dropping standard buttons is the requirement to be weird (it’s not), then I’d rather they not be weird again.

I’m optimistic that we’ll get whatever the new cow milking meme is within the next 12 months.
In my opinion, probably has more to do with a number of people here preferring Nintendo to be rather safe with the Nintendo Switch's successor (little to no gimmicks, etc.) than believing Nintendo can't be weird and innovative.

I think I said this before, but I believe Nintendo's going to continue having gimmicks with the Nintendo Switch's successor through separate accessories (e.g. Labo, Ring Fit Adventure, etc.).

Perhaps after the fiscal year ending on 31 March 2025 (FY 2025)?

Last edited:

I get different translations based on whether I click the translate option in the tweet vs right-clicking in the browser to translate the page:

"Despite announcing the release of a new model, Nintendo's stock price has fallen. It has become clear that new models will not be released until 2025, making this period a difficult one. Because Nintendo used the word "successor," investors expected a development similar to Wii → Wii U, rather than a generational change like Wii → Switch."

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom