• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

The protocol stipulates that at this point our illustrious insiders will now come to confirm, telling us that they have known for some time but needed confirmation to be able to write 😂

the only reason 2024 is coming up is probably because the manufacturing timeline hasn't changed since the 'delay' so it things may be kicking off early and that's confusing people. so mass production is about to begin in the next month or two max and everything will be announced around this timeframe. we're often told there's significant costs in delaying this so they'll use the extra months to create more of a stock for launch.

the main thing is the software - if first parties needed more time they've got till January instead of September~ish before going gold. this is the big thing methinks.

the only reason 2024 is coming up is probably because the manufacturing timeline hasn't changed since the 'delay' so it things may be kicking off early and that's confusing people. so mass production is about to begin in the next month or two max and everything will be announced around this timeframe. we're often told there's significant costs in delaying this so they'll use the extra months to create more of a stock for launch.

the main thing is the software - if first parties needed more time they've got till January instead of September~ish before going gold. this is the big thing methinks.
Realistically yes. But fingers crossed for this year.

• Slightly bigger, slightly rounder
  • Magnetic joycon rails
  • 1080p screen
  • Backwards compatible game card slot
are all things that were found and/or discussed here months ago. Maybe I've been following speculation too long but this doesn't strike me as "flood gates are open," it strikes me like fake 4chan Direct leaks where they post a bunch of plausible stuff that's been discussed for a while and then add a couple extra things (like more buttons) so it doesn't sound like they're just listing the same old rumors.

Some users were literally busting out "lisan al gaib" yesterday which kinda blows my mind. We knew this stuff already yall, what gives?

Hot take: Pyoro not discrediting the rumor and confirming there have been private talks about it means there’s some level of credibility to it.

He could have outright negated it or maintain radio silence

You know that's where I have been short sighted. When it comes to performance I would only think of Dock mode and you're thinking of both portable and dock, you're right.

I think it all depends on what lesson Nintendo learned.
  1. They learned they can garner third party support so they work on giving the performance they need.
  2. They keep the same " take it or leave it approach. We work on something we think is ok enough for us, if you want to make game for us, cool. If not, we don't care.
I think it is the former. Monster Hunter Rise sold millions and half of their software sells are third party. Not to mention that the Switch is the first gen where games tool it up a big notch also had one of the worst performance from their system (excluding 64, they were just starting out). I think their dev want more power so they can do what they want without sacrificing performance. That's including gamefreak.
A important note is that the Switch userbase are more willing to try and play obscure games.

Like the Switch in it's early years forced it's consumers to try and play different genre of games, like there's been instances where the Switch was the place where the people bought the most, like Steam World heist is a good example, because it was stated it sold more on the Switch compare to Steam. One is Rabbids kingdom battle, in which it was an absolute success. Imagine if Ubisoft made a rabbids cross over with sackboy or kratos, it just doesn't work.

Most third parties love the thought of having an Userbase whose willing to buy their game, even if it's obscure as hell. Same goes for indies developers.

Welcome to the Era of Nintendo Touch the switch era is dead.

This is the reason i feel is that articles are saying Nintendo let them touch the device without saying and made a point of highlighting touch as a keyword.

• Magnetic joycon rails
  • 1080p screen
are all things that were found and/or discussed here months ago. Maybe I've been following speculation too long but this doesn't strike me as "flood gates are open," it strikes me like fake 4chan Direct leaks where they post a bunch of plausible stuff that's been discussed for a while and then add a couple extra things (like more buttons) so it doesn't sound like they're just listing the same old rumors.

Some users were literally busting out "lisan al gaib" yesterday which kinda blows my mind. We knew this stuff already yall, what gives?
We have been in a drought for months, News is news, even if it's questionable.
More confirmation on 1080 screen, backward compatibility and a rounder design is like finding water in the desert.
breaking-bad-better-call-saul.gif

Realistically yes. But fingers crossed for this year.
seemed like they were already messing third parties around by pushing it to early 2025, i can't imagine it's going to be moved forward if ambitious first party software was driving the delay.

hey third parties surprise it's now 2024 again. the only good thing is it's sounding more and more certain that March 2025 is pretty damn firm. which is great because honestly when they said 2025 it's sounding like it could have slipped to the following FY or god-forbid late 2025/2026.

Some people on the other forum is complaining about having a 1080p screen somehow being worse than a 720p screen. Is there any logic to that argument? They point to modern games not being able to reach 1080p resolutions in handhelds like steam deck.

But i think the logic is that Nintendo knows that most of their own internally developed games will reach 1080p resolution in handheld, the fact that third party AAA games won't reach that number on Switch 2 is not something Nintendo will care much about.

sounds like they are already messing third parties around by pushing it to early 2025, i can't imagine it's going to be moved forward if ambitious first party software was driving the delay.

hey third parties surprise it's now 2024 again. the only good thing is it's sounding more and more certain that March 2025 is pretty damn firm. which is great because honestly when they said 2025 it's sounding like it still could have slipped till the following FY or god-forbid late 2025/2026.
Yeah, my hope would be that the initial rumor ends up not true is what I mean.

Some people on the other forum is complaining about having a 1080p screen somehow being worse than a 720p screen. Is there any logic to that argument? They point to modern games not being able to reach 1080p resolutions in handhelds like steam deck.

But i think the logic is that Nintendo knows that most of their own internally developed games will reach 1080p resolution in handheld, the fact that third party AAA games won't reach that number on Switch 2 is not something Nintendo will care much about.
Complaining for the sake of complaining.

sounds like they are already messing third parties around by pushing it to early 2025, i can't imagine it's going to be moved forward if ambitious first party software was driving the delay.

hey third parties surprise it's now 2024 again. the only good thing is it's sounding more and more certain that March 2025 is pretty damn firm. which is great because honestly when they said 2025 it's sounding like it still could have slipped till the following FY or god-forbid late 2025/2026.
From what i have gathered is that the manufacturing of the Switch 2 will start in 2024, meanwhile the console will release in early 2025.

Like, the only thing we have heard about the delay is software and Nintendo wanting to create a shitload of Switch 2, which makes it seem, like they're confident with the hardware sales for the system. The problem being software, since most people buy Nintendo products for Nintendo software.

• Magnetic joycon rails
  • 1080p screen

I think it has to do with people going stir crazy with the lack of news & not following this thread, or developments, religiously.

Yeah, brought up earlier. I'm assuming you're following the same thread I am there now - several people have already shot that theory down (battery life concerns). things like console having optimization that handheld PCs would not have (like having CPU & GPU combined into a SoC)

Don't forget Nintendo consoles use ARM CPUs, which is more efficient in itself compared to non-ARM CPUs which handheld PCs use.

The protocol stipulates that at this point our illustrious insiders will now come to confirm, telling us that they have known for some time but needed confirmation to be able to write 😂
i mean who the hell wants to be the first one to leak what they hear about the switch 2 at this point? I would not and I think this post is a good reason why.
I could be mistaken but I’ve never known Pyoro to be someone who leaks or knows stuff about hardware - only software (games)
Sure but once you begin leaking things correctly people start hitting up your dms whether it is other leakers or even potential sources for leaks. I wouldn't say this suggests he has a source for hardware necessarily.

If this really is true and the new Joy-Con attach to the system via magnets…I wonder how Nintendo has designed it to prevent people from getting their skin pinched between the magnets. That seems like a serious problem that would need to be addressed.

Also, there’s no way in hell that they’re dropping the “Nintendo Switch” branding with this, especially if the form factor is as similar as this new alleged leak suggests. It’s gonna be called “Nintendo Switch [something]”, not “Nintendo [something]”—count on it.

Switch 1's 720p screen already looks quite good at 7", and sticking to that resolution on a much more capable device means portable mode has a lot more overhead for performance. I imagine a lot of games will manage 1080p native with the help of DLSS, but probably at the cost of asset quality and/or frame-rate.

If this really is true and the new Joy-Con attach to the system via magnets…I wonder how Nintendo has designed it to prevent people from getting their skin pinched between the magnets. That seems like a serious problem that would need to be addressed.

Also, there’s no way in hell that they’re dropping the “Nintendo Switch” branding with this, especially if the form factor is as similar as this new alleged leak suggests. It’s gonna be called “Nintendo Switch [something]”, not “Nintendo [something]”—count on it.
It's an electromagnet. They can detect when it has contact on both the top and the bottom and only then activate it.

It's an electromagnet. They can detect when it has contact on both the top and the bottom and only then activate it.
Ah, so would that even prevent any pinching from happening if, say, the magnets only made contact with each other on an edge? Like, imagine a Joy-Con put up against the side of the system and touching the system side magnets but tilted at an angle so there’s enough room to fit part of a finger or something between the magnets while both sides are still touching at the edge—would it be able to detect skin between the magnets in that case even if the skin and magnets both came into the described position at the same exact time?

Last edited:

I still vividly remember how many people complained about current Switch resolution before its release: "It's 2017 and Nintendo still uses 720p screen while my $250 phone is 4K lol".

Maybe more credence to the "Attach" thing.

Maybe more credence to the "Attach" thing.
Yup, I’ve still been on the Nintendo Switch Attach train, lol.

Though this new info would mean that it’s not at all like the patents for two “attachably detachable” devices that I had hoped would be the case, so it’s less exciting for me now if this is true.

Ah, so would that even prevent any pinching from happening if, say, the magnets made contact with each other on an edge—like, imagine a Joy-Con put up against the side of the system and touching the system side magnets but tilted at an angle so there’s enough room to fit part of a finger or something between the magnets while both sides are still touching at the edge?

There is no pinching

It's not a new technology, recent handhelds been using it already

Is that what was being claimed with the "SL/SR are magnetically activated" thing? That's really hard to believe. It would continuously drain power from the Joy-cons, system, or both, just to hold them on there, even if the console was powered off.

Switch 1's 720p screen already looks quite good at 7", and sticking to that resolution on a much more capable device means portable mode has a lot more overhead for performance. I imagine a lot of games will manage 1080p native with the help of DLSS, but probably at the cost of asset quality and/or frame-rate.
They‘ll just render at whatever resolution fits (from 360p to 900p) and upscale to 1080p. With that logic we‘d have a 240p screen for Switch. And if DLSS is too heavy (which I don’t think is likely to be the case for handheld) they still can use other spatial or temporal upscaling methods, or just render at a lower resolution. More options are always better, and ppi wouldn’t be particularly good at 720p on a 8“ screen.

Hmm I haven’t seen it. I’m far behind reading in the latest news lol
Cannot believe I had to go like 10 pages before I finally found the initial mention of it here lol Here you go

• Magnetic joycon rails
  • 1080p screen

I think it's half the excitement of hearing something from insider sources, and half the stuff we figured out being backed up. We figured out all this stuff, either through napkin math, digging through shipment data, etc, but I'd be lying if I said that that it wasn't nice to hear people outside of this thread say this stuff. The gaming community at large still doesn't believe the Switch 2 will be equivalent to the Steam Deck, so slowly but surely this stuff may change the discussion and make it a little more bearable.

Cannot believe I had to go like 10 pages before I finally found the initial mention of it here lol Here you go

Ahh... a simpler time... 24 hours and 45 minutes ago.

Remember as the saying goes, these things usually come in 3s. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw another leak in the next week or so.
I actually don't know. Given what Pyoro is suggesting, I think this might be it until the investor meeting with the context in mind that this was shared around a small bit ago. Then again we've got around a week before the financial briefing so the odds are in our favor ig. Observe how tomorrow has a tidbit, leak or rumor.

1080p is not good news. Not many games will reach that level and they won't look good. 720p should have been much better, less burden on the processor, more games to be native res and save on the battery life. It's difficult to tell 1080p from 720p on mobile devices anyway.
At this point 1080p screens must be cheaper than 720p. I'm sure Nintendo thought about the impact on battery and performance, but after all this time 1080p has gotta be cheaper to make.

As someone who build pc for my family and myself pc a magnetic connector make tons of sense on both mechanical and branding. A magnetic connector could mean something like pogo pins which from the image I posted below could provide instantaneous connection which could be an even faster and smoother experience than just sliding the joycons into places.
I also added a demonstration of how it work courtesy of pcbuilder.

And speaking of sliding, the branding for the switch 2 ti super going forward could very well could the the logo slamming into each other from both side instead sliding into position.
swafan_ex12_argb_2-3_1.png
image.png

1080p is not good news. Not many games will reach that level and they won't look good. 720p should have been much better, less burden on the processor, more games to be native res and save on the battery life. It's difficult to tell 1080p from 720p on mobile devices anyway.

Nah. If you've got dedicated cores for DLSS upscaling out of the box, there is little reason to maintain 720p output resolution on T239.

Not at the ridiculously huge size this is rumored to have screen wise.

360p >720p DLSS is also just not that good. There's a big jump from 360p>720p to 540p>1080p.

A 360p internal rendering resolution in handheld also would lead to a docked resolution of 540p internally. And 540p>1440p is not very good...

I don't think it being 1080p screen necessarily means it drains more than 720p screen does, if the game is rendered in 720p.

Anyway, I've seen plenty of comments in other forums saying 720p would look noticeable on a 8" screen, so going to 1080p is a good thing.

1080p means worse battery life compared to if they went a 720p screen. That + no OLED and an even larger form factor. It’s fair criticism.

We have been in a drought for months, News is news, even if it's questionable.
More confirmation on 1080 screen, backward compatibility and a rounder design is like finding water in the desert.
I think it's half the excitement of hearing something from insider sources, and half the stuff we figured out being backed up. We figured out all this stuff, either through napkin math, digging through shipment data, etc, but I'd be lying if I said that that it wasn't nice to hear people outside of this thread say this stuff. The gaming community at large still doesn't believe the Switch 2 will be equivalent to the Steam Deck, so slowly but surely this stuff may change the discussion and make it a little more bearable.
Oh if it's legit confirmation from inside then I'd understand the hype, but my point was: are these actually insiders or are they randos regurgitating stuff they pulled from this very thread?

They fail to take into account DLSS.

if we're to assume these leaks are credible, they're coming from official controller partners. The sort of perfect center of the "official access to information" and "leaky Chinese manufacturing and IP theft" Venn Diagram.

We should then further assume that there isn't key controller functionality that they're not being told about. If Nintendo is secretly building a triple hybrid (docked/handheld/VR) but none of their official partners support VR mode, that would read as VR support being an afterthought at best, and a fuckup at worst.

The persistent metal references are interesting. It makes one wonder if Nintendo is building in the direction of modern phones, where the case is an extension of the heatsink. If done well, there is the possibility of Nintendo being able to offer something that feels "premium" in build quality while actually being smaller and lighter, and perhaps with higher heat output. Doesn't solve the battery life problem, but again, interesting. Open questions about how to handle WiFi/BT in that case, but that's starting to get out there on speculating.

We've seen Joy-Con clones that lock magnetically on handheld PCs for a while, so it's easy to imagine some benefits there. If they lock to each other magnetically, then Nintendo can reduce the physical size of the Switch package by eliminating the grip.

The very first thing I did with my Joy-Cons was break them, within minutes of opening the package. I put the grip rails on backwards and jammed them. Assuming the Two-Cons use opposite polarity magnets, it can be designed so that they only ever lock into the correct side of the system, and with no moving parts, there isn't anything to break.

It is extremely unlikely that Nintendo would use electromagnets for such a system. I doubt they want the Joy-Cons to fall off if the Switch runs out of charge. But that's not my expertise, so maybe I'm missing something. Most of the magnetic locking systems I've seen depend on natural magnets and there being a direction of reduced friction.

Switch 1 original PPI: 237
Switch 1 OLED PPI: 210
Switch 2 PPI at 7.91" and 720p: 186
Switch 2 PPI at 7.91" and 1080p: 279

You can definitely argue that the Switch 2's screen shouldn't have been as huge as is rumored, but given this rumored screen size, 1080p is definitely very important.

A lot of you are placing the amount of hype toward the May briefing that should be placed in the annual June meeting. You got these two mixed up. June is the big one. I’m undecided if I will reinvest to be able to attend. Usually I always attend the annual June meeting of the shareholders in person.

Arguing that the screen should be 720p is like arguing the Switch screen should have been 480p. Think of how many more games would have hit native res in handheld! Uh, sure, all those Switch games that do hit native 720p or close to it would have been held back for no good reason, but at least you'd have power savings. Oh, wait, screen resolution doesn't actually affect battery life, and the pixel density would be worse if the screen size was the same but the resolution was cut to 480p. We better make the screen 3DS-sized to be safe. Now we're talking!

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom