• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Oh if it's legit confirmation from inside then I'd understand the hype, but my point was: are these actually insiders or are they randos regurgitating stuff they pulled from this very thread?

Pyoro mentions he heard all this stuff months before those rumors recently came out.

I thought that was interesting, if it’s just attention-thirsty randos copying info from here, I feel like this would have came out months earlier, not just recently.

Of course it doesn’t rule out those being total randos copying info from here either

A lot of you are placing the amount of hype toward the May briefing that should be placed in the annual June meeting. You got these two mixed up. June is the big one. I’m undecided if I will reinvest to be able to attend. Usually I always attend the annual June meeting of the shareholders in person.

I thought May meeting is the one where the new FY is discussed? That’s the one I would expect a passing mention of Switch 2 (assuming Nintendo even wants to say anything at that time)

1080p means worse battery life compared to if they went a 720p screen. That + no OLED and an even larger form factor. It’s fair criticism.
depends on the node. if it's 4N we get the best of both worlds as it should be able to do handheld DLSS (or just native 1080p) while maintaining a good battery life no probs.

Arguing that the screen should be 720p is like arguing the Switch screen should have been 480p. Think of how many more games would have hit native res in handheld! Uh, sure, all those Switch games that do hit native 720p or close to it would have been held back for no good reason, but at least you'd have power savings. Oh, wait, screen resolution doesn't actually affect battery life, and the pixel density would be worse if the screen size was the same but the resolution was cut to 480p. We better make the screen 3DS-sized to be safe. Now we're talking!
This! Higher screen resolution cost on power consumption is basically negligible on a modern panel. A portable will be using a sub 1W screen anyway. And as LiC said, 1080p enable more acuity rendering of UI, text, etc and also helps mitigate the "overnoise/overcrowded" effect of high detail 3D rendering on lower resolutions screens.

Realistically, most Switch 2 games will stick to 1080p target, specially with DLSS as an aid. Subnative games will happen, but these will be the mostly ones really pushing the system.

Oh if it's legit confirmation from inside then I'd understand the hype, but my point was: are these actually insiders or are they randos regurgitating stuff they pulled from this very thread?

It actually comes from Switch accessory manufacturers working with Nintendo privy to supply chain information

Some people on the other forum is complaining about having a 1080p screen somehow being worse than a 720p screen. Is there any logic to that argument? They point to modern games not being able to reach 1080p resolutions in handhelds like steam deck.
This is not dumb but it is wrong. A Switch is not a handheld PC, they're totally different.

On handheld PC, there is no port begging. The latest games are always there, but it's up to you to figure out the settings that look good for your setup. On a handheld PC, it's also up to you to get good battery life. The device is built to absolutely wreck the battery for maximum performance, and if you want good battery life it is up to you to lower the visual settings so that the load is lighter.

To a handheld PC gamer, the logic looks like this "the newest AAA games don't run at 1080p on my handheld, and the last gen can but I'd rather run them at lower res and get an extra hour of battery life. 720p is the sweet spot, I don't want to pay extra money for a higher res screen I won't use."

This is not wrong! But you the player don't use the screen on a dedicated console. The developer does. They are making the choices about what combination of visual settings look great. And in this case, the primary developer also makes the hardware.

It's like saying "the only games that will be able to use this are games like Mario Kart, and Luigi's Mansion, and Super Smash Bros, and 2D Mario, and Kirby, and Splatoon, and obviously Mario Sports and Mario Party, and probably Animal Crossing, and Metroid..." Like, plenty of games are hitting native res on the current hardware, and they're the system's best sellers, I'm pretty sure Nintendo thinks they can make good looking games on that 1080p screen, or they wouldn't pay for it.

But another thing to think about - Switch is a hybrid, not a handheld. As I've said hundreds of times, the whole appeal of the hardware is that games are playable in both, without serious compromises when you switch modes. A 1080p screen is already just 1/4th of a 4k screen. Games which look good on a 4k TV are going to not have problems looking good on a 1080p screen. And games which look bad on that 4k screen aren't going to magically look worlds better on 720p (thank you @Thraktor for pointing this out to me).

Saying "a 720p screen is better because modern AAA games can't hit 1080p" is tantamount to saying "I'm not interested in Nintendo games on this thing, just Sony and Microsoft's ports!" which is ... pretty silly.

The magnetic controller attachment bit is interesting. it could just be that they think it's a better mechanism to accomplish the same thing as the rails on the original Switch. But I wonder if it could be about making it less cumbersome to hot swap controllers/accessories during gameplay. Sort of like the weapon attachments in Starlink Battle for Atlas. I don't know how that'd work for docked gameplay though.

If the name is Nintendo Connect or Attach , maybe it will be both physically with magnets and figuratively through improved online functionality and features :D.

I'm fully on copium and screwing around but it is one of the main wishes I have for Nintendo hardware aside from sufficient power.

I do wonder if the magnets are the new gimmick. It'd certainly be interesting to see.

Nintendo never really utilized many attachment accessories ala the flip grip or specialized joycons themselves and I wonder if it was because of the system's rail limiting what they could design that didn't look... like what the NSO controllers look like when attached.

They may have thought it'd risk damage the system's stability when held or something, or potentially break the railing, or worse the controllers. But with magnets, provided they work well, Nintendo could make a lot more flexible designs for controllers. And potentially many many more gimmick designs for experiments like Labo, or Ring Fit.

iu

Last edited:
dlss isn't free and you still need ms to spare, outputting at a lower resolution will gain you some time. resolutions aren't something that we can make blanket statements on
So, sure, it will be hard for portable mode to hit 1080p on games that are only going to reach 1080p docked mode. But capping everyone else by limiting the screen to 720p or the dock output to 1080p wouldn't be a very good solution.

dlss isn't free and you still need ms to spare, outputting at a lower resolution will gain you some time. resolutions aren't something that we can make blanket statements on
I think there's an extremely narrow band where games would actually fall into this in handheld. You'd have to have a game where it can't spare the time for a DLSS upscale to 1080p, but also can't drop its native res lower to find that time. That would be for one of two reasons:

One, it's already around 360p native, and dropping it further would be beyond the limit of what DLSS can upscale to 1080p. A game like this that's spending its entire 33.3 or 16.7 ms GPU frame time just to render at native 360p or less is an exceptional case, and the developer should probably be optimizing by cutting effects or LODs or something instead of worrying about the screen resolution at this stage.

Two, it's above 360p and there's enough room to drop it to fit the 1080p upscale, but the developer doesn't want to do that because of quality sacrifices that come with lower internal resolution and higher upscaling factor. Now we're purely talking about tradeoffs, and the entire point of DLSS is to be able to make those tradeoffs and come out looking good the end, even with 3x upscaling. And if you had to decide on a screen size based on these scenarios, then there are pros and cons either way, since the 720p screen benefits from a smaller upscale, but the 1080p screen benefits from being larger and more pixel dense, which has an impact on the overall perceived "quality" beyond the effects of the upscale on the image.

But of course, all of that is really needless detail. Using any such edge cases as the basis for deciding screen size would be ridiculous. The screen size should be designed around a baseline that will be commonly achievable, and 1080p will be that for the new hardware, at least as much as 720p is on the current Switch, and likely more so. The vast majority of games will render above 720p, many of them at 1080p, and they'll look good doing it. DLSS will be a big part of that, but it's kind of a red herring since at the end of the day the important thing is the output resolution, regardless of the tech the games employ to get there, and the calculus is the same as it was on the Switch.

Do we know if the 8 inch screen will have breezel or whatever it’s called, since the switch Oled looks extremely pleasing.

Like I didn’t realise how weird the black borders looks when you compare it to the switch.

switch-vs-switch-oled-2.jpg

The leak came from a Chinese accessory vendor, and pyoro feels it was leaked because the accessory vendor had the information.
Okay I'm tryina wrap my head around what that has to do with people here using faux-religious terms to refer to ninspider's posts when that user has zero track record.

So lemme see if I got this straight

ninspider has been posting stuff that could very easily have just come from this thread's findings from months ago. Then some twitter account (what I assume you're saying is the Chinese accessory vendor) posts something that almost verbatim matches what ninspider was saying, and Pyoro posts that people have been talking about it for a while, so the thread is thinking those twitter posts confirm ninspider as legit and all this stuff is an actual leak and not just a feedback loop based on months of rumors and customs data findings?

Okay I'm tryina wrap my head around what that has to do with people here using faux-religious terms to refer to ninspider's posts when that user has zero track record.

ninspider has been posting stuff that could very easily have just come from this thread's findings from months ago. Then some twitter account (what I assume you're saying is the Chinese accessory vendor) posts something that almost verbatim matches what ninspider was saying, and Pyoro posts that people have been talking about it for a while, so the thread is thinking those twitter posts confirm ninspider as legit and all this stuff is an actual leak and not just a feedback loop based on months of rumors and customs data findings?
Aside from pyoro's claims, most importantly I know that the bilibili (Chinese YouTube-like video site community) account that appeared in the thread today is an actual switch accessory developer, and Nintendo-related KOLs on the Chinese side likewise find this credible, just can't confirm if it's entirely credible.

Do we know if the 8 inch screen will have breezel or whatever it’s called, since the switch Oled looks extremely pleasing.

Like I didn’t realise how weird the black borders looks when you compare it to the switch.

switch-vs-switch-oled-2.jpg
Bezel.

Honestly, we haven't heard much EXPLICITLY, but the fact the body is SMALLER than the Steam Deck but the screen is significantly LARGER would imply very, very little bezel;

Imagine the Joy-Con Rail's WIDTH, just the few millimeters from the body of the Joy-Con to the top of SL or SR. Consider how that manifests on OLED Model, as the first few millimeters of bezel either side of the system. Double it, maybe not even, and imagine that width (less than a centimetre) all the way around the system.

It's not a nonexistent bezel, but it SEEMS like it'll be pretty THIN.

I think you're right to be skeptical, the account in question being an accessory maker at least has an incentive to cause hype regardless of validity, because it's marketing. With that said, frankly I believe it this time. Something smells funny, y'know? In a good way.

Basically I'm feeling good vibes.

I personally will not be excited until I learn that the Joy-Con's directional buttons have remained the exact same.
I don't want them to be the exact same

I want them to be colourdy, slightly larger and encircled by a grey matte circle a-la SNES to improve contrast across controller casing colour variations, IDEALLY also CAPACITIVE.

Not gonna lie, after the information published today, I wouldn't be surprised if Switch Attach was the actual name of the system lmao.

I don't want them to be the exact same

I want them to be colourdy, slightly larger and encircled by a grey matte circle a-la SNES to improve contrast across controller casing colour variations, IDEALLY also CAPACITIVE.
as a former "professional" repair tech please no capacitive buttons holy fuck

Not gonna lie, after the information published today, I wouldn't be surprised if Switch Attach was the actual name of the system lmao.
Why, because joy cons attach to the system? Like they do on the current Switch, which is not named attach? Just using different/ improved tech to achieve that.

Imo, it's absolutely ridiculous to seriously entertain Attach being the real name.

The magnetic controller attachment bit is interesting. it could just be that they think it's a better mechanism to accomplish the same thing as the rails on the original Switch. But I wonder if it could be about making it less cumbersome to hot swap controllers/accessories during gameplay. Sort of like the weapon attachments in Starlink Battle for Atlas. I don't know how that'd work for docked gameplay though.
To add to the magnet gimmick, Nintendo is obviously no stranger to selling game-altering physical trinkets with Amiibo. But where the player only taps an Amiibo, what if you could attach magnetic coins (or like pogs for those of us who are old af) with similar Ambiibo-like NFC functionality that could modify the game while attached? Imagine like SMB Wonder where you choose a badge by swapping out a physical coin on your controller. Or imagine an OoT remake where you toggle the iron boots by adding or removing a coin to your controller. I'm not convinced either of these are better than choosing those things in the game's software UI, but it does smell like a pretty Nintendo thing to do. If it really does end up being called Switch Attach, this also fits the theme. It'd give them another set of physical collectible trinkets to sell while not necessarily requiring them (in the same way that Amiibo functionality is optional).

Why, because joy cons attach to the system? Like they do on the current Switch, which is not named attach? Just using different/ improved tech to achieve that.

Imo, it's absolutely ridiculous to seriously entertain Attach being the real name.
It's half joke half serious, but we definitely have different opinions on what "absolutely ridiculous" mean. Like, sure, it can sound like a dumb name, but given Nintendo naming philosophy in the past I wouldn't dare to call the idea "absolutely ridiculous". Highly unlikely?Sure.

Last edited:
How is magnets a gimmick?

If Nintendo has invented an improved way to do the same thing the current system is already doing by using Magnets, I fail to see how that's gimmicky.
Maybe I should've said "to add to the possibility that magnets are the gimmick" before describing a gimmicky use of magnets. That said, if magnets are used to attach controllers, Nintendo definitely will not have invented that.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom