• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Pessimistic is not the same thing as realistic, and games exist outside of the realm of "pushes PS5 to its knees".
Games pushing the PS4 won't be able to do anything close to native 4K either, the PS4 Pro already showed us where that goes and it still relied on checkerboarding to achieve it sometimes. It's the Switch 1 specced stuff that has a chance, that's what the current numbers indicate.

tumblr_mqi54mYPGM1qaf90uo2_250.gif

The 4K image output thing is totally just something they can put on the box, right? Realistically most won't reach that.
The ps5 struggles to even output native 4k , by sacrificing framerate, I expect 2d games and indies hitting 4k on switch 2, aside from that, 1080p and 1440p will be the norm, and most cases not even native, but scaled

I loved all of this new informations about a Switch 2. But I don't like the name of Switch Attach or Switch Snap because it's not commercially enough, afraid it's will be likes Wii U disaster. Better stick with a Switch 2 or Super Switch or Switch Advanced name

The ps5 struggles to even output native 4k , by sacrificing framerate, I expect 2d games and indies hitting 4k on switch 2, aside from that, 1080p and 1440p will be the norm, and most cases not even native, but scaled
It’ll depend on the developers if they’ll sacrifice frame rate or visuals, but who know they might surprise us.

Like Mario kart 8 is probably one of the most technically impressive game that Nintendo has made and it’s 1080p/60 on the switch, heck Mario odyssey is a technical achievement with its visuals and once agains its 60fps same goes Metroid prime and dread.

Like I’m quite optimistic for 4k/60 depending which team will be making the games, like the Mario team will as usual impress us. Because surprisingly enough having a stylised graphics can have huge plus for visual and frame rate. Especially since we’ll be gearing for ps4 pro territory with DLSS and modern architecture and technique.

Lastly I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo learned something to keep the frame rate up without sacrificing its visuals.

I loved all of this new informations about a Switch 2. But I don't like the name of Switch Attach or Switch Snap because it's not commercially enough, afraid it's will be likes Wii U disaster. Better stick with a Switch 2 or Super Switch or Switch Advanced name
As much as people complain about names like that, I can’t really see any other way for them to properly convey the next console being a sequel. Even in the worst case though, I highly doubt anything as bad as the Wii U will happen again. Its important to remember that the main issue with the Wii U wasn’t really the name, it was the marketing and lack of launch exclusives that sealed its fate

As much as people complain about names like that, I can’t really see any other way for them to properly convey the next console being a sequel. Even in the worst case though, I highly doubt anything as bad as the Wii U will happen again. Its important to remember that the main issue with the Wii U wasn’t really the name, it was the marketing and lack of launch exclusives that sealed its fate
Imagine a world where either Mario maker or Mario kart 8 was its launch title.

Wait I missed that Mobapad said this in the edited version of the post

Have there been any upgrades to the screen? Feel free to discuss, as we're set to unveil the firsthand information we've gathered in early May.

Could this be more evidence for a mention around May 7th? (assuming this leak has any credibility)

Source for post since it was deleted: r/GL&R

It’ll depend on the developers if they’ll sacrifice frame rate or visuals, but who know they might surprise us.

Like Mario kart 8 is probably one of the most technically impressive game that Nintendo has made and it’s 1080p/60 on the switch, heck Mario odyssey is a technical achievement with its visuals and once agains its 60fps same goes Metroid prime and dread.

Like I’m quite optimistic for 4k/60 depending which team will be making the games, like the Mario team will as usual impress us. Because surprisingly enough having a stylised graphics can have huge plus for visual and frame rate. Especially since we’ll be gearing for ps4 pro territory with DLSS and modern architecture and technique.

Lastly I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo learned something to keep the frame rate up without sacrificing its visuals.

Yeah, ultimately it's up to the developer what to prioritise, but there is no technical "cap" on resolution or performance, for most games it's a case of "what are you willing to sacrifice". For some that won't be much, and they'll focus on a clean 1080p output with either nicely rendered current generation visual effects, or a reduced optimisation timeline (which I wouldn't decry, saving time on optimisation isn't a sin or anything). For others, they can make a certain resolution and performance target a concrete goal, and carve anything they can off to achieve that.

my thoughts exactly. at least shorten it to nintendo attach lmfao
Attach doesn't even make sense to me

If this thing is backwards compatible with Switch games and controllers... it has to be part of the Switch family, right?

In which case renaming it makes no sense

Is every iteration going to change from Switch to Attach to Snap to Connect, etc?

They really just need to call it Switch 2

I thought May meeting is the one where the new FY is discussed? That’s the one I would expect a passing mention of Switch 2 (assuming Nintendo even wants to say anything at that time)

It is but I guess I am not hyped because the best we get is "We'll talk next gen in June" or at worst - "We have no plans to discuss hardware at this time".

Before the June meeting, We get reveals that get discussed at the meeting. Typical E3 cadence. Nintendo is MUCH more willing to divulge interesting details at the June meeting. Plus...

We can tell Furukawa how we don't like the customization settings in Splatoon 3 and ask him where the hell F-Zero is lol

Edit: If I go, My question would be "Explain to me why this cycle is different than the Wii -> Wii-U cycle? Nintendo seems hesitant to move to the next generation which may directly or indirectly hurt the potentional of the next system"

Attach doesn't even make sense to me

If this thing is backwards compatible with Switch games and controllers... it has to be part of the Switch family, right?

In which case renaming it makes no sense

Is every iteration going to change from Switch to Attach to Snap to Connect, etc?

They really just need to call it Switch 2
I think Super, Advance, or such, or indeed 2, would work, something that says "above" clearly.

With that said, Nintendo has rebranded a line while keeping compatibility before; Nintendo DS.

Imagine a world where either Mario maker or Mario kart 8 was its launch title.
Funny, a YouTuber I watch named the geek Critique said this in his Wii U video he made a couple days back. Another important thing to note about Nintendo now is that something they’ve consistently said about next gen is they want a smooth transition where most users come over, so we know they at least have their priorities in order before the next console

I agree, however I meant games that are already on other platforms and not games tailor maden for switch., for example you are not gonna get 4k elden ring on this thing natively.

Nintendo does some trickery with their games but lets not overestimate the switch 2, I dont see a future zelda being full 4k natively, not even the switch could manage to hit current standard resolutions without requiring other tricks. Like dynamic res, FSr and thats with the simplistic assets they use.

Those waiting for a portable xbox series S will be dissapointed, as the performance wont reach those levels of native fidelity

(Note that I specifically refer to native resolutions)

Which comes back to Switch Attach. Nintendo probably doesn't want to name their console just after the Joy-Con rail. But if they could find a way to talk about the games they wanna make, and the OS features they've added by referencing the rail, then I think they might. "Attach" can mean a lot of things, after all
Well, if you sold me on anything, it's that the name can be something out of left field if it clearly communicates the new concept in a compelling way.

But nobody would have thought of "attach" if it wasn't in that survey, and the makers of that survey most definitely didn't know the name. So I would say the chance for that specific name, is still almost zero.

Do people think just because you “attach” switch joycons with magnets means it’ll be called that Switch Attach name? Lol you still “attach” the joycons now when you slide them on.

It would have to a great purpose like all kinds of magnet attachments for them to consider the name

I agree, however I meant games that are already on other platforms and not games tailor maden for switch., for example you are not gonna get 4k elden ring on this thing natively.

Nintendo does some trickery with their games but lets not overestimate the switch 2, I dont see a future zelda being full 4k natively, not even the switch could manage to hit current standard resolutions without requiring other tricks. Like dynamic res, FSr and thats with the simplistic assets they use.

Those waiting for a portable xbox series S will be dissapointed, as the performance wont reach those levels of native fidelity

(Note that I specifically refer to native resolutions)
Games tailor made for switch 2, like your marios, your zeldas will look stuning

But I fail to believe 3rd parties will rework their games too much on switch 2, I could see some upscaled 1080p and 1440p as the standard for those "big" AAA titles

To me this’ll be a system that has nice upgrades all around. It’ll have some better features. QOL improvements inside and outside from what we’ve seen with the manufacturer leaks

I certainly like Connect much more than Attach, but the Switch name is so strong and familiar to millions that I think Nintendo would be insane to abandon the name, especially if the device is an iterative evolution of its predecessor, which many believe it to be at this point.
It's better than Attach, but it's too close to Kinect.

The DS had a 'boring' name, and was one of Nintendo's most feature packed and innovative consoles. I'm over the need for some wacky ass moniker, as if that's a significant indicator for how exciting the device itself will end up being.

"Attach" is too close to "Attack" in my opinion. Even if it's not the same word, it's very similar and people can read the "CH" as "CK".

Either Nintendo Switch II or Nintendo Connect is fine with me.

The DS had a 'boring' name, and was one of Nintendo's most feature packed and innovative consoles. I'm over the need for some wacky ass moniker, as if that's a significant indicator for how exciting the device itself will end up being.
DS wasn't really all that boring; it was totally unique.

A dual screen system, a system designed to be easy to developer for, it was all sorts of good and the name captured that. Like... Switch. Switch and DS both, I think, have essentially "percent" names, but something like Game Boy Advance was "perfect" for what it was.

I want them to keep it straightforward, though, I agree. I'm still on the "Super" train at the moment.

I find the widespread support for such a miserably boring name sad and discouraging
2?

If the name perfectly encapsulates what the device is, then I think it's the device you have a problem with. Not the name.

What else would you name a refined/ more powerful Switch? ¨

If there is some "revolutionary" new concept, it wont be named 2. The name will be related to what it is.

But if there isn't, why not just name it 2?

Nintendo more often then not go in doubles.

NES
SNES

GB/C
GBA

DS
3DS

Wii
Wii U

The missing link is N64 and GC but the latter wasn’t 64-bit.
N64 was originally part of a duo in a way, planned to be the "Ultra" to the SNES' "Super". Which makes... Some sense. Super is "above", ultra is "beyond".

But yeah you're right in actuality.

I am going to say it. Everyone knows they love this name, the Nintendo Switch Chronicle. Name after the amazing Xenoblade Xhronicle series.

2?

If the name perfectly encapsulates what the device is, then I think it's the device you have a problem with. Not the name.

What else would you name a refined/ more powerful Switch? ¨

If there is some "revolutionary" new concept, it wont be named 2. The name will be related to what it is.

But if there isn't, why not just name it 2?
Because it's super boring. To use a superlative, I'd call it the most boring name they could pick, even "Generation 2" or "2nd Generation" has interesting implications, 2 is comparatively super meaningless. The name needs to have a certain "super" aspect to it, I think a supertitle rather than a subtitle would be very nice - Lite, OLED, subtitles denote variants, supertitles indicating generations, "_ Nintendo Switch". I just think that would be super neat.

Because it's super boring. To use a superlative, I'd call it the most boring name they could pick, even "Generation 2" or "2nd Generation" has interesting implications, 2 is comparatively super meaningless. The name needs to have a certain "super" aspect to it, I think a supertitle rather than a subtitle would be very nice - Lite, OLED, subtitles denote variants, supertitles indicating generations, "_ Nintendo Switch". I just think that would be super neat.
I say, if they're not creative with the concept why be creative with the name? Not that Super is that creative.

• Slightly bigger, slightly rounder
  • Magnetic joycon rails
  • 1080p screen
  • Backwards compatible game card slot
are all things that were found and/or discussed here months ago. Maybe I've been following speculation too long but this doesn't strike me as "flood gates are open," it strikes me like fake 4chan Direct leaks where they post a bunch of plausible stuff that's been discussed for a while and then add a couple extra things (like more buttons) so it doesn't sound like they're just listing the same old rumors.

Some users were literally busting out "lisan al gaib" yesterday which kinda blows my mind. We knew this stuff already yall, what gives?
I guess they're happy these are "confirmed" with this leak now.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom