• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    šŸš§ We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. šŸš§

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Virtual Boy
3DS
Labo VR

Sure, you can say that Stereoscopic 3D or VR didn't had that much of an audience, but Nintendo still went through with this. Sure the Virtual Boy was a flop, and the 3D of 3DS wasn't much used by the playerbase iirc, they still went with Switch and Labo to some sort of VR goggles. Heck outside of those, and maybe developed by Namco, there was even an exclusive Mario Kart Arcade GP VR, and the gamecube had planned a cancelled LCD screen that had 3D capabilities for games like Luigi's Mansion.

And I still believe Nintendo wants to go through with the idea of 3D gaming.
I just want to grab back my previous post earlier today, and with what Nintendo had been doing through the years with 3D imaging, I do can see they'll make actual VR headset or maybe a Stereoscopic 3D Headset like my concept. I can be totally wrong ofcourse, due to there is a small fanbase for it, but Nintendo did experimented with it many times. Although I believe VR is prolly something what most of the fanbase isn't much fond of, as of hopes of new gimmicks and the like, Nintendo most of the time is all about great gameplay, and I do think Nintendo can make a good effort with VR actually.

Whether it be just the plain simple Stereoscopic 3D Headset, or a fully VR Headset, it is really what I like to see actually.

Just with what been reported about a new front button, gives me a bit of hope for this.
As someone that is unable to see 3D or any kind of stereoscopic images, I wholeheartedly wish they don't push 3D further

Total fabrication
It did happen. I still see people in fb marketplace selling it as a "DS 3D".

Was there any mention of the name "Attach" on leaks or we're just assuming based on joy cons being attached with electromagnetism?

Switch also attaches and detaches the joy cons so I don't think it's gonna be "unique" or a game changer to the point of being the name. It'll most likely work the same way even, but maybe instead of the marketing for the "tick!" of the Switch logo being sliding ā¬†ļøā¬‡ļø it'll be getting closer or nearer āž”ļøā¬…ļø.

I think it's good news all around, confirmation on backwards compatibility, controllers being compatible too, 1080p and 8"(tho in my head it's too big since I'm used to the 6,2" of the V2).

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
[/HIDE]
Just the survey, which is why I am absolutely sick of seeing it being discussed. It's not any better or more reliable than me coming up with some dumb name like "Switch LeBron James" and then have people discuss it for weeks.

So heā€™s saying that this information has been around for a while

Oh god , only a few days ago everyone was saying how dead it was and now shits getting real!

Finally

Note: that doesnā€™t mean itā€™s concrete not that itā€™s accurate, simply that he has heard the information privately.

He says he hasnā€™t been able to actually confirm it with his sources.

no? In the same way that the Camaro was not called the 1967 Corvette. šŸ˜…

I'm just elaborately agreeing with the argument that it should have its own name. Not simply "Name of the Thing That Came Before It 2"
The Camaro was not the 1967 Corvette, but the 1967 Corvette was the 1967 Corvette, being a direct successor/replacement for the earlier models. This is a direct successor/replacement to Switch. If it was a parallel product line where both would be going on separately, then a more unique name would be necessary, like Famicom vs Game Boy.

'Switch' is a succinct and catchy descriptor of the device's behavior. It has become iconic enough that PC handhelds are being called 'Switch-likes'. Out of the many alternatives that people have suggested for a name indicating 'changing between modes' whether it be Flip or Swap or Cross or whatever, 'Switch' feels particularly phonetically pleasing (even playful), easy to say, most true to the functionality of the console, and quickly understood. And in transitioning to the first device to succeed it, the name can do much of the legwork for them - a "Switch ______ " or " _____ Switch" will continue to be a device that 'Switches'. It will be immediately understood by everyone as retaining the same hybrid functionality, and then the rest of the name will communicate its other aspects.

This is why I have no problem with the name Switch 2 (or variations like 2.0, II, Duo, etc), because 'Switch' by itself is clear and has broad appeal. The Switch brand is defined by its flexibility and modularity, supporting three modes out of the box and offers a variety of playstyles, and 'the next-generation of Switch' (which is communicated by '2') is a promise of more of this. And 'more' could mean a number of things that can still fit under the Switch banner, AR, touch interfaces, screencasting etc. Meanwhile, in a hypothetical world where we had a '3DS 2', that would mean for sure a portable device with two screens, at least one with stereoscopic 3D, and most likely a clamshell form factor. 'Switch' as a concept feels more open and like a Swiss-army knife of gaming consoles, where theoretically we could have an ongoing line of Switch 2, 3, 4... and on with more and more capabilities added while never betraying the underlying promise.

That being said, I don't think '2' is a guarantee, and I don't necessarily believe 'Switch' will stick around forever, but abandoning the brand this soon when Nintendo has kept around 'Game Boy' and 'DS' for more than a decade each does not seem like the move. So it is natural to expect some variation of a "Switch ______ " or " _____ Switch". And hopefully a name that communicates some degree of 'new' and 'next-gen' instead of sounding like an accessory, an online service, or a minor refresh like DSi or Game Boy Pocket.

GUYS

I think Takashi Mochizuki got to put his hand in the box... let me explain

Remember this infamous tweet that sparked treegate 2.0?

Take a look at the date: March 25th.

And what happened about a week before March 25th?

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Now we have reports coming out about accessory manufactures and some insiders saying the information has been around for a while... šŸ¤”

All of this leads me to believe that Mochizuki was not "just there to catch a bus" but was IN FACT at Nintendo where he got to put his hands in the infamous box on March 25th, 2024.

I mean - they can just rename the joy-cons if they must have some quirky new exposition of a name. Thatā€™s probably where most of the changes will be.

GUYS

Now we have reports coming out about accessory manufactures and some insiders saying the information has been around for a while... šŸ¤”

All of this leads me to believe that Mochizuki was not "just there to catch a bus" but was IN FACT at Nintendo where he got to put his hands in the infamous box on March 25th, 2024.

"It kills only animals, Let us say I suggest you may be human. Steady! I warn you not to try jerking away. I am old, but my hand can drive this needle into your neck before you can escape me." ā€“ Miyamoto to Mochizuki after letting him put his hand in the box.

The Camaro was not the 1967 Corvette, but the 1967 Corvette was the 1967 Corvette, being a direct successor/replacement for the earlier models. This is a direct successor/replacement to Switch. If it was a parallel product line where both would be going on separately, then a more unique name would be necessary, like Famicom vs Game Boy.
The 1967 Corvette:
21587902-1967-chevrolet-corvette-std.jpg

The 1966 Corvette it was directly replacing:
1966_chevrolet_corvette_convertible_163658866519a31e16d20b88caA-21-scaled.jpg

If this new system were identical to the current Switch but added a couple small new features, then yeah, give it the same name and an indication that it's a slight upgrade. Like Nintendo Switch Lite, or Nintendo Switch OLED.

But it's not just the same thing with a little upgrade. It's a new thing. And even if it's considered part of the same product line (which it very well may be and I almost expect) there are still much better, more creative, more interesting names to indicate a new generation in the product line besides "2."

Nintendo has almost never done that. The only time they ever did was on an obscure Super Gameboy upgrade that never made it out of Japan. It is very much unlike Nintendo to go that route, and the only game console manufacturer afaik who ever even has is Sony.

Granted, I'm not saying it's impossible for Nintendo to do it, just that 1) it'd be way out of character for them and 2) I'd personally hope for a name with a lot more personality. If they had done what Sony did then the Super Nintendo would be Famicom 2, the Nintendo 64 would be Famicom 3, the GameCube would be Famicom 4, like.. how bleak would that have been?? I just hope for better. I hope for fun. It's Nintendo fer chrissakes.

The 1967 Corvette:
21587902-1967-chevrolet-corvette-std.jpg

The 1966 Corvette it was directly replacing:
1966_chevrolet_corvette_convertible_163658866519a31e16d20b88caA-21-scaled.jpg

If this new system were identical to the current Switch but added a couple small new features, then yeah, give it the same name and an indication that it's a slight upgrade. Like Nintendo Switch Lite, or Nintendo Switch OLED.

But it's not just the same thing with a little upgrade. It's a new thing. And even if it's considered part of the same product line (which it very well may be and I almost expect) there are much better, more creative, more interesting names to indicate a new generation in the product line besides "2."

Nintendo has almost never done that. The only time they ever did was on an obscure Super Gameboy upgrade that never made it out of Japan. It is very much unlike Nintendo to go that route, and the only game console manufacturer afaik who ever even has is Sony.

Granted, I'm not saying it's impossible for Nintendo to do it, just that 1) it'd be way out of character for them and 2) I'd personally hope for a name with a lot more personality. If they had done what Sony did then the Super Nintendo would be Famicom 2, the Nintendo 64 would be Famicom 3, the GameCube would be Famicom 4, like.. how bleak would that have been?? I just hope for better. I hope for fun. It's Nintendo fer chrissakes.
My goat Koizumi will somehow market the Switch 2 to be like a second coming of Christ, even with a silly name, he'll make it work.
Heck my man quite literally made the Joy-Cons look like the most advance controller in the market, despite them not utilising half of it's features.

1*-TF4y8gV-c6vaqlHWwoJqQ.png

I mean - they can just rename the joy-cons if they must have some quirky new exposition of a name. Thatā€™s probably where most of the changes will be.
I'm expecting "Joy-Con Plus" or a name vis-a-vis new console name; "Joy-Con 2.0", "Super Joy-Con".

Joy-Con, while somewhere maligned, is an iconic and popular brand unto itself.

GUYS

Well... that's a well-lined-up series of events if at all true, and the earlier event with [HIDDEN MESSAGE] does make a lot of sense.

So that's kind of funny in retrospect, but at least it means something came out of Treegate. March 25th shall be the day of around 5 or so people saying "I believed" and being vindicated after 33 days.
Amazing if true, but that does kinda imply-
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I find the widespread support for such a miserably boring name sad and discouraging
Itā€™s alright, because when the system is finally officially revealedā€”and not named ā€œNintendo Switch 2ā€ā€”weā€™ll be able to take satisfaction in seeing all those people be wrong! lol

Honestly, trying to guess the systemā€™s name without knowing the full details about it and its new defining features is kind of pointless. If it does end up being named something along the lines of ā€œNintendo Switch Attachā€, for example, itā€™s not going to be named such just because the Joy-Con attach to it in a new way; obviously there will be other features of which the name is evocative, but we just donā€™t know about them yet.

Well... that's a well-lined-up series of events if at all true, and the earlier event with [HIDDEN MESSAGE] does make a lot of sense.

So that's kind of funny in retrospect, but at least it means something came out of Treegate. March 25th shall be the day of around 5 or so people saying "I believed" and being vindicated after 33 days.

Amazing if true, but that does kinda imply-

Please refrain from posting NSFW jokes and/or terminology. -BassForever, IsisStormDragon, NabiscoFelt, TC
[Removed Joke]

Last edited:
it would be very funny if we wound up in the accidental inventory stockpiling timeline after so many said it was impossible

I stay with my prediction that it will either be called Switch 2 or that it hasnā€˜t Switch in the name at all. Like if we look at Snap, Attach (Still hate that) or Connect (Boring), why not just call it Nintendo Snap right away? People will do that eventually anyway.

You might say that history tells otherwise and yes you are not wrong. But the difference with the DS is that "DS" itself is super short. It dosenā€˜t take much away and the successor just added one other letter/number. It still is just a two words name: Nintendo 3DS.

As for the Gameboy Advance itā€˜s the same, two parts, because it has no Nintendo at the beginning.

Another point is that "Nintendo Switch Attach" would much more feel like that it was just another Switch instead of a completely new generation at first glance from the name alone.

And then there is the thing of names getting too long. Nintendo usually has no issues with that but "Nintendo Switch Attach OLED" would be an overkill even for them. New Nintendo 3DS XL, while not perfect, is much more clearer and no one would confuse it with it being just a Nintendo DS.

Nintendo Switch 2 would be different in that regard, because it communicates at first glance how to interpret the name (if you are familiar at least a little bit with mobile hardware).

So either they leave out Nintendo at the beginning which I believe would be even less likely than any suggestion in this thread or they follow their tradition of the two part name pattern which they did for most their base unit console generations. Or they try out a new approach and go with a number.

Maybe Iā€˜m wrong. With the right marketing you obviously can go with any name of course, but like said, I think it would make things unnecessarily harder and take away from a more clear messaging right out the gate IMO.

Edit: Grammar :/

Last edited:
I'm expecting "Joy-Con Plus" or a name vis-a-vis new console name; "Joy-Con 2.0", "Super Joy-Con".

This sounds cursed, but Join-Con perhaps to play into the new connect/attach method while maintaining the auditory similarity? (Agree theyā€™ll likely retain Joy-Con as the controller is iterative on the base)

Are the key staff still there? If so, yeah. If not... idk.
i wish i know this
Makes me curios if we'll see a bigger marketing push for the Switch 2, compare to the Switch. Like we might see Nintendo finally make a marketing push in the game awards.
if the next console launch early 2025, Nintendo liking it or not, they will have to heavily pushing the console in every place they could

Wait, Iā€™m reading on the other site that Switch 2 reveal might be in 6 weeks, or in September.

I assumed there wouldnā€™t be any reveal at all this year.

I'm probably high on copium, but I'm thinking there's a small chance of a reveal a few hours after the earnings report.

Announce on Monday evening US, tell investors at the call who ask about it to tune into the reveal a few hours later and the event in the summer, and then reveal at the standard morning time on Tuesday.

Could the new rear button be an assignable ā€œback paddleā€ button, similar to the paddles on the Xbox Elite Controller? Maybe the new front button is the ā€œassign back paddleā€ button.
That was my first thought too, but to my knowledge, the joy-cons function independently. Every third party joy-con with button mapping (Hori, BinBok, etc.) has 2 map buttons, one on each joy-con. Which makes our mystery button more interesting in my opinion.

I figured Nintendo would wait until after the holidays, but I guess a reveal this year wouldnā€™t make that much of a difference after 8 years.
Iā€˜d say at this point Switch would do well enough in the Holidays anyway, for an over seven years old console to say. Nintendo likes their short time frames and it could be that a full reveal wonā€˜t happen until next year, but I donā€˜t see them going not mentioning/showing their next gen at all only until like two to three months before release
in 0 to 100, what is the likehood of Nintendo anouncing it next gen console on the investors meeting in may 7th?
80, but Iā€˜d have said that already for the last Investor meeting :p . Though it being their first meeting of the new FY it should be a given that they say something about the future of their core business.

I just think people here (and in general) will be less precious about the idea of them changing controller names. imo the joy-cons could change names on the current Switch and it wouldnā€™t budge sales.

Just trying to have cake and eat it too, or rather present a scenario that might appease the arguments about ā€œ2ā€ being too boring etc.

Could the new rear button be an assignable ā€œback paddleā€ button, similar to the paddles on the Xbox Elite Controller? Maybe the new front button is the ā€œassign back paddleā€ button.
Doesn't SCUF have a patent on back paddles on game controllers? They sued Valve for having them on the Steam Controller and Microsoft (IIRC) pays SCUF for the patent's use on the Elite controllers, and I assume Valve now has a similar arrangement for the Deck.

Nintendo famously never licenced DVD playback for the Wii because of the cost, and they don't really bother with Dolby licensing for surround sound anymore I think. So I don't think they'll pay SCUF for having back paddles.

I just think people here (and in general) will be less precious about the idea of them changing controller names. imo the joy-cons could change names on the current Switch and it wouldnā€™t budge sales.

Just trying to have cake and eat it too, or rather present a scenario that might appease the arguments about ā€œ2ā€ being too boring etc.
I think Nintendo's marketing strategists would lose several days of sleep over it to be honest, especially after the GamePad fiasco.

Mind, not that any of us have to be acting like that.

Technically wouldnā€™t there be enough already? SNES had the four face buttons ABXY, two triggers L and R, and two additional buttons Start and Select, plus the D-Pad. One Joy Con has a stick (for the D-Pad), four face buttons, two triggers SL and SR, and two additional buttons Plus / Minus and clicking the stick. Technically thereā€™s also two more buttons with R / L and ZR / ZL but those would be very awkwardly placed. I know Binding of Isaac still allowed them to be mapped when playing with a single Joy Con though.

Obviously this whole thing would be quite uncomfortable and hopefully the Switch 2 Joy Con will be better in that regard, and an additional button (or two) would help.
On a single joycon there's only + or - not both so not quite enough buttons for SNES games. There's enough for Genesis games though which only had a start button.

My sincere guess is a June console reveal with a March 2025 launch date. I do think we are getting a May Nintendo Direct where they will just announce normal games like they know nothing, then someday in June they just randomly announce the news to the world. I think this "delay" is going to benefit them in the end. More units to sell, more time to market it, more games to launch. But what i'm more curious is how they're going to market it, dying to see the name of it plus how they're talking about the technologies. Nintendo Switch had quite the varied marketing, with a lot of outing and family depicted in it. Wonder if they will have additional focus on the powerful hardware capabilities? Or just follow through with the usual "take it out everywhere" kind of thing. Wish i was a fly to peep at the marketing team's editing software rn

Something just occured to me.

If these controllers are using electronic magnets to attach, isn't it very likely that one or both of these buttons is the Magnet Attach/Detach (or activate/deactivate) button?
I like the idea, but I feel like it would make it easy to accidentally detach the controllers. Maybe that button keeps to be a little pointy button like with the existing joy cons.

MAGNETONS
082.png

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom