• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    šŸš§ We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. šŸš§

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Take an Xbox Series X, keep the height, and expand the remaining dimensions until it's a cube. Pack it full of power accordingly. The Nintendo MegaCube.

I'd buy it. šŸ˜­
this is almost exactly the next computer

NeXTcube.jpg

I noticed that the problem with the switch's online with every game, not just Smash, is the really crappy wifi chip it has. Even if you play on ethernet your opponents won't be which means you still lag just as much. I am confident the switch 2 will invest in a better wifi adapter because they're trying to sell a 50 dollar online subscription now. Surely Nintendo can eat the extra 10 dollars.

You're right that they were considered their own things, and I'm saying the new console could be the same situation
But when I said that they were considered their own things, I was specifically referring to how Honda didn't use the Integra to replace the Civic, nor did they leave the Civic largely unchanged after introducing the Integra. Instead, they made new-gen Civics, then sold both that model and the Integra alongside each other. If the new console was "the same situation," that would mean that "Super Switch" and "next generation of the non-Super Switch" would have to be two separate products.
And "2025 Nintendo Switch" doesn't apply when you consider that every year of a car is often identical or very close to the previous year with minimal new features offered on what is otherwise the exact same car. If we were to number Switches like that we'd be on Switch 7 by now. Generational changes in cars come like once a decade and have nothing to do with the year of the car
I wasn't claiming that model year changes automatically equated to generational changes. But in many instances, these generational changes don't result in the nameplate permanently adding a descriptor among the lines of "Super" or "Advance." The 7th gen Corvette isn't even an exception to that rule: the Stingray brand has been used across multiple generations of that car. Manufacturers do indeed make a big deal about the "all-new (insert model here)" being new and better, but the name of the product still follows the convention of "2022 Honda Civic."

Alright I just browsed Reddit and some people genuinely think itā€™s going to only have 8GB of ram, 4 a78 cores, and no (possibly) tensor or rt cores enabled on the die (a GTX version of the Ampere architecture effectively), like the ultimate ā€œfuck our partnersā€ machine. That would probably be what we would be talking about if we didnā€™t get that Nvidia leak. Peak ā€œNintendoomā€ specs that the wider gaming internet is probably expected.
A lot of people on the internet really love to act like unbelievable pessimism or cynicism is the same thing as being smart; you see this all the time with gaming related discussions lol.

I hope the next generation's name is Nintendo Transformer. Transformer not only emphasizes its variability but also represents advanced models in the field of AI.

Is it possible that Switch Attach is just the codename, like Switch is NX?
I wouldn't mind that. But as a marketing name, yeah, that would be horrible imo.
There's no deeper meaning. Whoever made the google survey made a mistake. It was supposed to say just "Switch".

Think about it, the question was "Which of these gaming products would you consider buying?"

Would anyone consider buying something that hasn't been announced?

Would a google employee making surveys know something only very few people within Nintendo knows?

What is the occams razor?

There's no deeper meaning. Whoever made the google survey made a mistake. It was supposed to say just "Switch".

Think about it, the question was "Which of these gaming products would you consider buying?"

Would a google employee making surveys know something only very few people within Nintendo knows?

Yeah, I guess that's true. I forgot it came from the google survey. Nvm than.
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Question for the people who know more about hardware manufacturing than I do: is it common for a video game company to disclose details about their next system to accessories makers months before said system goes into production?

Because from my non-expert impression, either the new rumors are fake, or the new console will be released sooner than expected. And since the Nikkei (arguably the most solid source when it comes to Nintendo hardware rumors) has stated that the next Nintendo console will be released next year, I'm inclined to believe that it will.

For my psycho-sociological study I am noticing a very interesting phenomenon: new rumors have the effect of restarting the momentum of the same loop as always, and now we are exactly at the point of the name of the console. I think I will write a treatise on this topic. šŸ¤”

Not if it uses electropermanent magnets. An electropermanent magnet only needs a pulse of electric current to switch the magnetic field on and off, and not a continuous electric current. If the system is powered off and the mechanism doesn't function independently of the main unit, I suppose the Joycons would simply remain in one state. If the magnetic field is off, you wouldn't be able to attach them to the console, and vice versa.

To avoid pinching, the mechanism could be designed in a way that the electric pulse is only generated if the Joycon is perfectly flush or aligned with the body of the console. You may still be able to pinch a thin paper between the two, but not part of a finger.
Are small electropermanent magnets even fabricated? I only could find places where you buy pretty large ones

( Anyways, I learned something new, didn't know about electropermanent magnets before)

The more Fami has gone over it, the more iffy this leak from Mobapad has become, seems we don't have a consensus on how magnets would be implemented for the new controllers. Hopefully we can get someone like Brazil, Necrolipe or Nate to confirm such rumours but it seems like this circulated in Chinese forums so idk if their sources would catch wind of that.

Question for the people who know more about hardware manufacturing than I do: is it common for a video game company to disclose details about their next system to accessories makers months before said system goes into production?

Because from my non-expert impression, either the new rumors are fake, or the new console will be released sooner than expected. And since the Nikkei (arguably the most solid source when it comes to Nintendo hardware rumors) has stated that the next Nintendo console will be released next year, I'm inclined to believe that it will.

I'm not sure, but keep in mind that the whole thing about the hardware being fully ready and the delay being purely about the launch line-up could screw with this. If they don't delay the actual production then it could start surprisingly early.

I'm not sure, but keep in mind that the whole thing about the hardware being fully ready and the delay being purely about the launch line-up could screw with this. If they don't delay the actual production then it could start surprisingly early.
Maybe they just want to launch with a gazillion units.

The more Fami has gone over it, the more iffy this leak from Mobapad has become, seems we don't have a consensus on how magnets would be implemented for the new controllers. Hopefully we can get someone like Brazil, Necrolipe or Nate to confirm such rumours but it seems like this circulated in Chinese forums so idk if their sources would catch wind of that.

Virtual Boy
3DS
Labo VR

Sure, you can say that Stereoscopic 3D or VR didn't had that much of an audience, but Nintendo still went through with this. Sure the Virtual Boy was a flop, and the 3D of 3DS wasn't much used by the playerbase iirc, they still went with Switch and Labo to some sort of VR goggles. Heck outside of those, and maybe developed by Namco, there was even an exclusive Mario Kart Arcade GP VR, and the gamecube had planned a cancelled LCD screen that had 3D capabilities for games like Luigi's Mansion.

And I still believe Nintendo wants to go through with the idea of 3D gaming.
I just want to grab back my previous post earlier today, and with what Nintendo had been doing through the years with 3D imaging, I do can see they'll make actual VR headset or maybe a Stereoscopic 3D Headset like my concept. I can be totally wrong ofcourse, due to there is a small fanbase for it, but Nintendo did experimented with it many times. Although I believe VR is prolly something what most of the fanbase isn't much fond of, as of hopes of new gimmicks and the like, Nintendo most of the time is all about great gameplay, and I do think Nintendo can make a good effort with VR actually.

Whether it be just the plain simple Stereoscopic 3D Headset, or a fully VR Headset, it is really what I like to see actually.

Just with what been reported about a new front button, gives me a bit of hope for this.
Oh boy, I remember something from last january, that may have been overlooked by many. But I remember @Machrider found a patent that was published in november 2022.

It did show a device that had something to do about a VR or MR headset. I don't know exactly how it'll work but it is something noteworthy to me.

So Nintendo experimented with:

• Virtual Boy
  • 3DS
  • Labo VR
  • Mario Kart Arcade GP VR
  • A cancelled 3DS-like LCD Screen for Gamecube back in the early 2000's
  • And in 2022 a patent for a VR/MR device

And now with that new front button we heard about, I really can imagine they go do something with a Stereoscopic 3D enviroment.
Nah Fam, I don't think Nintendo would give up the idea of 3D/VR.

PS: I didn't include this in a hidden text, because it wasn't done like that back in january either.

In comparison to Switch 2 which has no evidence at all.
A google survey isn't evidence.

Doubtful they reveal the name at an investor briefing. If anything they acknowledge its existence. And according to shareholder chad, thats more likely to happen at the one in June.
If we get it officially from Nintendo theyā€˜d reveal it beforehand, or we could get it through a leak.

Switch 2 is a reasonable guess to make. Attach is a much more specific name.
"Attach" honestly doesn't even sound like a codename. Thinking about the other home console codenames, none of them really directly connect to the "gimmick" of the system, it's more about the intentions of the system more than anything. Ultra 64 being focused on being more powerful 64 bit system, Dophin being a sleeker console that's faster to make games for, Revolution changing the overall approach to game design through motion controls, Cafe being a calm and casual console for the home and family, but even this major stretch in codename logic starts to fall apart with Nitro and Centrair (DS and 3ds respectively) and especially the NX.

"Attach" doesn't really work in the same way. Like... what am I supposed to take away from that? It's a dumb code name. At least NG made a bit of sense with the intentions of it being a "Next Gen" console in a similar vein to how Nintendo's high-level R&D division had the GBA's codename be... "Advanced Game Boy". I also don't think we should take Youtube Question's word for the name honestly, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to believe imo.

Alright I just browsed Reddit and some people genuinely think itā€™s going to only have 8GB of ram, 4 a78 cores, and no (possibly) tensor or rt cores enabled on the die (a GTX version of the Ampere architecture effectively), like the ultimate ā€œfuck our partnersā€ machine. That would probably be what we would be talking about if we didnā€™t get that Nvidia leak. Peak ā€œNintendoomā€ specs that the wider gaming internet is probably expected.
Even if The Switch 2 gets the best possible specs, good ram, countless of partners developing for... They'll still bitched and call it underpower (despite the Switch being one of the most advance handheld in the market for it time) Also reddit is the absolute last place to discuss about Nintendo.

I thought something groundbreaking was found about the new hardware which warranted 10+ pages since yesterday, but 90% of it is just talking about a possible crappy name for the new system. I am disappointed in you all.

Can third parties host surveys on YouTube? That would give it a bit more credibility. If it's just Google then there's no reason for Google to know an upcoming Nintendo product name.
It doesn't give it any credibility. You can literally make up shit for a survey.

Let's not forget the Mario Odyssey 2 "leak" that came from Sega

We, like everyone else, are eagerly anticipating accurate information about the Switch 2!
In the process of developing the next-generation console controller, Mobapad has also acquired a lot of firsthand information about the Switch 2, and now we're here to share it with everyone.
hq720_480x480.jpg

1. The Switch 2 will continue to support existing Joy-Cons and the Pro Controller, still equipped with ALPS dual-axis linear motors for HD rumble.
  2. The cartridge slot of the Switch 2 will support backward compatibility with physical Switch game cartridges, ensuring compatibility with players' existing game libraries, including digital versions. However, the second-generation cartridges may not be compatible with the first-generation console.
  3. The new version of Joy-Con has a larger volume, and the sliding rail structure has been changed to magnetic suction. The SL and SR buttons are metal buttons. Magnetic suction is achieved through electromagnetic suction technology, controlled by electric current. It's worth noting that, in addition to the L, ZL, R, and ZR buttons on the sides of the Joy-Con controller, a third button has been added on both the left and right sides.
Additionally, below the HOME button on the right Joy-Con, there is an additional function button!
  1. The bottom of the Switch 2 will still feature a USB-C port for docking, and the new generation dock will undergo minor changes in appearance while enhancing performance, supporting 4K resolution.
  2. The new dock will feature a damping bracket on the back, allowing for a greater range of adjustable angles.
  3. The screen will be upgraded to an 8-inch display, supporting 1080P resolution.
    640_480x480.webp
These are just some of the hardware information we've got, and not the full extent.
From a hardware perspective, the Switch 2 inherits the dual-mode feature of its predecessor, continuing Nintendo's conservative approach to hardware.

Reflecting on Nintendo's history, from the original FC to the groundbreaking GB series, followed by the NDS, 3DS series, and the Wii, Wii U, and finally the Switch, the company has always adhered to the concept of creating unique entertainment experiences.

We have every reason to believe that Nintendo will bring more innovative gameplay to the Switch 2, as seen in the advancements in the controller design.

For example, what functions will the third button on the side of the controller serve? What special features will the additional button below the HOME button offer? There is much room for imagination, and while we don't know yet, there are certainly new features and gameplay innovations to anticipate!

We welcome everyone to join us in speculating and discussing.

Mobapad is actively developing next-generation console peripherals, aiming to provide customer with better product experiences as soon as possible, while continuing to support product upgrade services.

We remain committed to solving customer problems, maintaining a drive for continuous innovation, and providing users with better products and services!
Follow our Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/mobapad
Follow our YouTube page:https://www.youtube.com/@mobapadofficial/videos
Well they decided to put out a full English article.

lol. Way to bite the hand that feeds them
How can one resist when the fingers are so cronchy?

That being in the sense that a lot of people like to spread this information against the benefits of receiving this information simply for the clout. Short term vs. Long Term, that stuff. Regardless nice to see an official translation, even if it doesn't really change anything around the credibility of this leak overall imo.

lol. Way to bite the hand that feeds them
If they're not a licensed acessory manufacturer, then they wouldn't give a shit. Though if they knew details, it would mean a licensed partner is leaking details. This could have a knock on effect with accessories coming out late

I thought something groundbreaking was found about the new hardware which warranted 10+ pages since yesterday, but 90% of it is just talking about a possible crappy name for the new system. I am disappointed in you all.
There was actually a new leak 20 pages ago supposedly from accessory makers about Nintendo let them touch it and that it uses magnets and having extra buttons. And mochizuki tweeted about Nintendo apparently ordering 10M displays for the new Switch in this fiscal year.

But the magnet made someone remember that "Switch attach" survey and the "2 or DOA" hyperboles came back yet again to derail the thread.

Last edited:
There was actually a new leak 20 pages ago supposedly from accessory makers about Nintendo let them touch it and that it uses magnets and having extra buttons. And mochizuki tweeted about Nintendo apparently ordering 10M displays for the new Switch in this fiscal year.

But the magnet made someone remember that "Switch attach" survey and the "2 or DOA" hyperboles came back yet again to derail the thread.
Thw tweet from mochizuki was 3 month ago.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom