• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

As has been stated here previously, they can use an electropermanent magnet so that there only has to be one electrical pulse to turn it on or off rather than a continuous use of electricity to keep it on.
The battery needs to be charged to attach or remove it, then?

One so strong it holds them in place risk finger injuries, too.

I do think magnets are involved, sure why not, but I don't think they're involved in the way people seem to be imagining; as the main way the controllers are affixed to the console, rather than just an additional measure to keep them in place.

I'm probably a bit dumb for this, but I ask anyways. Wouldn't the magnetic part be just there to connect them for like a second, and the rest is like a mechanical clicking system, so if you don't have any power, the joycons won't fall off.

I'm pretty confident that if they use magnetic parts, Nintendo would have put thought on it. Not because Nintendo is Nintendo, but more like Nintendo is a ever lasting long company, who does their research on things. I'm not saying they are bulletproof, but I do can see they will overlook a lot of times when things ain't done, whether it be safety reasons or just error's.
magnets don't need power, that's for electromagnets. but unless they were using higher strength magnets, like neodymium magnets, they'd have a plastic part to hold the joycon as well. redundant connections would be necessary

I lack the knowledge of how magnets needs to be „designed“ for working well. But the magsafe accessories for my iPhone are working really good. The official apple case of my iPad mini 5 also works good (but not great) and just connects to the edge of the iPad. But that one would be too weak to hold controllers. On the other side, the official magnetic case of the iPad mini 6 holds the weight really good but it has the whole back of the iPad to connect to instead of just the edge like for the mini 5. Also I don‘t think those accessories need electricity from the devices to do their job. But maybe someone with more knowledge could clear this up.

Re: Raccoon mentioning Nintendo stockpiling Switch 2’s - I’m not expecting a price drop for current gen if Nintendo is gonna incur in warehousing expenses for the Switch 2
Surely stockpiling would be a great reason to price drop, no? If they want to have as many units stocked as possible in order to meet demand and prevent scalping, then they'd want to have existing Switch inventory out the door as fast as possible to make room for the new consoles, and a price drop would be a good way to do that.

Counter point (to myself!). It's possible to customize the power curves of a chip - that's why Steam Deck performs better per watt than other PC handhelds using AMD chips which were designed for laptops.

Maybe Nintendo/Nvidia super optimize for handheld, and just need the extra power draw in docked to overcome the curve. Maybe you're right and the cooling doesn't need dramatic improvements to push the extra heat. So maybe yeah, a big-ass docked power draw.

Where I just get dubious - and this could totally be me not seeing something clearly - is a 3-5x power gap between the two modes. 2.5x? Sure. But 3x seems like a bad design choice, but I'm not a console designer, so what do I know?
Doesn‘t the steam deck just uses the same ryzen laptop APUs like everybody else just with some beefed up GPU cores?

Surely stockpiling would be a great reason to price drop, no? If they want to have as many units stocked as possible in order to meet demand and prevent scalping, then they'd want to have existing Switch inventory out the door as fast as possible to make room for the new consoles, and a price drop would be a good way to do that.
A price drop? In this economy?

Seriously though, Nintendo would benefit from cleaning out the warehouses of stock, but also Nintendo is still selling a lot of units for the console as it is. I don't really know if they'd have a price drop or not at this point. Even a formal 50-75$ price drop could work wonders, but they're still selling consoles at a pretty rapid pace as of December 31st 2023... so why would they? It might depend on how badly sales are affected by a popular system getting a revision within the near future, but I can't imagine it'll be severe, especially since the majority of people who will want a Switch 2 aren't the people who are currently buying Switchs.

Here's my genuine expectation:

The rail is still there, with the same connector. Instead of being the whole length of the side of the console, it goes up about halfway.

To attach the new controllers, you bring it in against the side of the console, and the magnets align the bottom of the controller with the top of the rail. You slide it down into place, the edge connector makes contact, there's a locking mechanism down in the rail, and the two pairs of magnets give you extra stability.

This setup at the very least satisfies a few conditions;

The magnets that snap the controller into alignment wouldn't have to be very strong, weak enough for a child to overcome by design.

The magnets could still contribute to the attachment and stability of the attachment, with the strongest magnets only in contact with the controller when properly inserted into the rail.

The partial rail allows existing Joy-Con to pair and charge, while lacking the mechanism to allow them to lock in, so no people trying to slap them on and attempt to use handheld mode; they'd just slide on out.

Magnets as a complementary system to Joy-Con Rail, without breaking compatibility, makes some sense. Magnets alone, magnets primarily, electromagnets, instantly snapping onto the console magnets, don't so much.

Doesn‘t the steam deck just uses the same ryzen laptop APUs like everybody else just with some beefed up GPU cores?
Steam Deck uses a semi-custom AMD APU (LCD uses "Aerith" which is TSMC 7nm, OLED uses "Sephiroth" which is TSMC 6nm). It's likely similar, but clearly built to last on a battery and arguably better for the purpose it was built than the APUs of Ryzen laptops, though I can't verify that with absolute certainty.

A price drop? In this economy?

Seriously though, Nintendo would benefit from cleaning out the warehouses of stock, but also Nintendo is still selling a lot of units for the console as it is. I don't really know if they'd have a price drop or not at this point. Even a formal 50-75$ price drop could work wonders, but they're still selling consoles at a pretty rapid pace as of December 31st 2023... so why would they? It might depend on how badly sales are affected by a popular system getting a revision within the near future, but I can't imagine it'll be severe, especially since the majority of people who will want a Switch 2 aren't the people who are currently buying Switchs.
I predict a 50$ price drop on all models*, letting the V2 sell through its last dregs and placing the OLED Model at the coveted 299.99 price point in multiple regions.

*Lite may stay at 199.99 for economic reasons. However, if the new system launches at 449.99, I would expect the Lite to go to 149.99, so you have 150 between each model in the range.

Steam Deck uses a semi-custom AMD APU (LCD uses "Aerith" which is TSMC 7nm, OLED uses "Sephiroth" which is TSMC 6nm). It's likely similar, but clearly built to last on a battery and arguably better for the purpose it was built than the APUs of Ryzen laptops, though I can't verify that with absolute certainty.
Ah thanks

No. If this info is real, Nintendo is most definitely not ok with them leaking it. Nintendo wants to control the narrative, they want to be the first to show new features and form factor. I think they would be more ok by someone leaking clock speeds, and they woudnt be ok with that either.
Sure, but its Nintendo's own fault by having a policy of not saying anything about new hardware until a few months before release. According to Nintendo today, their only future plan is the Switch, they have denied that new hardware is coming time and time again.

magnets don't need power, that's for electromagnets. but unless they were using higher strength magnets, like neodymium magnets, they'd have a plastic part to hold the joycon as well. redundant connections would be necessary
Not if the controllers connect with slotted connectors. Two magnetic tabs into two slots would connect quite nicely to my thinking :confused: . No rails required.

I predict a 50$ price drop on all models*, letting the V2 sell through its last dregs and placing the OLED Model at the coveted 299.99 price point in multiple regions.

*Lite may stay at 199.99 for economic reasons. However, if the new system launches at 449.99, I would expect the Lite to go to 149.99, so you have 150 between each model in the range.
It's really hard to tell what the profit margins for the OG Switch are, I don't think any official statement about it's profitability was made, but a 50 dollar drop on all three units would actually be pretty big. It's a 16.6% cut, significant enough to drive interest (especially after 7 years without a price cut, holy shit Nintendo) but likely not enough to damage profitability. Those are good cuts tho.

The other driver, and I think this/the direct thread have discussed it before, but a Nintendo selects line would be a really good move at this stage in the game. Having games that are very popular single-player experiences that released 3+ years ago cost around 30-20 dollars would be a great way to drive interest for software sales at the late stages of this console's life.

The rail is still there, with the same connector. Instead of being the whole length of the side of the console, it goes up about halfway.

To attach the new controllers, you bring it in against the side of the console, and the magnets align the bottom of the controller with the top of the rail. You slide it down into place, the edge connector makes contact, there's a locking mechanism down in the rail, and the two pairs of magnets give you extra stability.

The magnets that snap the controller into alignment wouldn't have to be very strong, weak enough for a child to overcome by design.

The magnets could still contribute to the attachment and stability of the attachment, with the strongest magnets only in contact with the controller when properly inserted into the rail.

The partial rail allows existing Joy-Con to pair and charge, while lacking the mechanism to allow them to lock in, so no people trying to slap them on and attempt to use handheld mode; they'd just slide on out.

Magnets as a complementary system to Joy-Con Rail, without breaking compatibility, makes some sense. Magnets alone, magnets primarily, electromagnets, instantly snapping onto the console magnets, don't so much.
One thing I could see is that the electropermanent magnets are too strong to pull apart normally, but the system uses the Joy-Cons' accelerometers to detect when you want to attach or detach it.

It's really hard to tell what the profit margins for the OG Switch are, I don't think any official statement about it's profitability was made, but a 50 dollar drop on all three units would actually be pretty big.
The only mentions Nintendo made about the profitability of the Nintendo Switch family is that Nintendo in principle doesn't plan on selling the Nintendo Switch at a loss and that the OLED model has a lower profit margin than the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Switch Lite.

... well that doesn't mean much overall, but yeah I got that impression. Maybe the Switch OLED can't get away with being 300 dollars relative to it's current retail price of 350, but the OG Switch and Switch Lite likely can, but I'm not too sure.

On a related note, I'm curious as to if they want to have the Switch 2 be sold at a profit. They're in a less risky position than before and could probably justify a small loss per unit, but I imagine they're trying to avoid pulling a Wii U like the plague. I imagine we'll see at the Q&A in June when asked (if we learn about the Switch 2 soon of course).

Image of the new joycons just leaked!!1!
Hot-Sale-Polishing-Ferrite-Oval-Magnet-Snake-Eggs-Magnets-for-Toy.jpg

... well that doesn't mean much overall, but yeah I got that impression. Maybe the Switch OLED can't get away with being 300 dollars relative to it's current retail price of 350, but the OG Switch and Switch Lite likely can, but I'm not too sure.
They can always make some Mario kart 8 bundles, which include Mario wonder.

smug-funny.gif

On a related note, I'm curious as to if they want to have the Switch 2 be sold at a profit. They're in a less risky position than before and could probably justify a small loss per unit, but I imagine they're trying to avoid pulling a Wii U like the plague. I imagine we'll see at the Q&A in June when asked (if we learn about the Switch 2 soon of course).

I think the Switch 2 will be sold at a lost, since the 400$ is a nice price that many people wouldn’t complain.

Like the 3DS at the beginning wasn’t sold at a lost, but that 250$ almost did irreversible damage, until they gave it a price cut and release Mario 3D land.

Also the Wii U was sold at a lost, as well as the GameCube (like at some point, those baby were selling for 50$, which is baffling to think about)

Like, Nintendo wouldn’t mind losing a couple of buck if it means a more successful launch and suitable price plus games will now be priced at 70$ which will make things more bearable for Nintendo.

Idk man, + and - kinda removed the need to have a proper select button imo. Sure it's not as iconic, but it's a solid enough way to still have a menu button for both controllers and act as easy-to-understand independent buttons for normal controllers. My guess is that the additional button is for a gimmick or to act as a "share" button or something.
Yeah I kinda imagined it'd be a clip button too, was mainly jk

FYI the English blog post is just a direct translation of the Bilibili post. The Facebook post was already summarizing that same information before it got edited. So there's nothing new in this post, just the ongoing weirdness of what I have to assume is a viral marketing campaign.

It also has the same mistranslation as the Facebook post, where it says the adjustable bracket is on the dock, when really that part is about the stand (and still confusing because they don't make it sound any different from the current OLED stand).

Sure, but its Nintendo's own fault by having a policy of not saying anything about new hardware until a few months before release. According to Nintendo today, their only future plan is the Switch, they have denied that new hardware is coming time and time again.
They've said they're always working on hardware at most points lol

He was the guest in one of the Kit & Krista episodes before Switch's launch and he was telling few facts about the console. One of them was that they experimented wih magnetic Joy-Cons and he showed the example that if you played your Joy-Cons would simply fall off.

Thank you for posting this! Over the past few days I was participating in a Discord discussion on the rumoured Joy-Con successor using magnets and I was thinking of this interview, but I couldn't find it (mainly because I did not remember where I saw the interview and who exactly were in it).

We already have a clip/share button with Capture, so a new system button definitely isn't that. An overlay menu like Xbox Guide?
oh wow we do don't we. I think I erased it from my brain after using it once and seeing the quality lmao. I think we have an overlay thing with the push hold menu button too though, they could probably repurpose that?

We already have a clip/share button with Capture, so a new system button definitely isn't that. An overlay menu like Xbox Guide?
Maybe it’s a button to wirelessly connects to the Dock. It’s unlikely but I think the thought is neat.

n33pi5m9o3491.jpg

But a likely option might be something relating the NSO system and their very own Mii verse.

I can't find the references now, but when Steam Deck was announced, AMD made some comments about it being a genuinely custom chip, specifically mentioning that they had tweaked the power curves to be more favorable for Valve's expected use.

It's really hard to tell what the profit margins for the OG Switch are, I don't think any official statement about it's profitability was made, but a 50 dollar drop on all three units would actually be pretty big. It's a 16.6% cut, significant enough to drive interest (especially after 7 years without a price cut, holy shit Nintendo) but likely not enough to damage profitability. Those are good cuts tho.

The other driver, and I think this/the direct thread have discussed it before, but a Nintendo selects line would be a really good move at this stage in the game. Having games that are very popular single-player experiences that released 3+ years ago cost around 30-20 dollars would be a great way to drive interest for software sales at the late stages of this console's life.
Or a good way to hurt sales of new software. They all exist in the same shops and "shelf space" and with Switch 2 being backwards compatible, that's a good reason for consumers to prioritize older games.

I think expanding the voucher system is a better way to go as a way to incentivize purchasing new games. "Buy new game, get heavy discount on old game." You accomplish something similar to the selects, but don't cannibalize a new purchase. You give also more "value" to budget minded consumers.

He was the guest in one of the Kit & Krista episodes before Switch's launch and he was telling few facts about the console. One of them was that they experimented wih magnetic Joy-Cons and he showed the example that if you played your Joy-Cons would simply fall off.

Oh...ooooh. 7 years of engineering could solve that problem. And swing how well apple Handel's the magsave connector, there could have happened some cross pollination with accessory makers ...

(I know magsafe is not using elektromagnets. I still haven't figured out how much power they use)

Ok, found an example, an elektromagnet that has 1kg as a max limit, and power consumption of 400mA at 5v. That's about an hour with the batteries of the joy cons.

Now one can argue switch 2 won't be more then 500g, and you have 2 to hold, so they don't need that much strength.

3 problems arise: picking up the switch on one joy con, swaying the switch with to much force (since the 1kg is with gravity, 9.8m/s, so if the switch is moved faster in any direction proportionally the weight the magnet can hold reduces), and...what if the power is out? Battery dies, joy cons just fall of?

What I do think:
If they chose magnets, they'll chose permanent magnets and use a mechanical mechanism to "deactivate" them, for example:

Or they just have the magnets be always active. I actually don't know if it would be a problem or interfere with something 🤔

Am I overthinking the electromagnet part?

Last edited:
Maybe it’s a button to wirelessly connects to the Dock. It’s unlikely but I think the thought is neat.

n33pi5m9o3491.jpg

But a likely option might be something relating the NSO system and their very own Mii verse.
A dedicated "NSO" button with invites, friends and voice chat almost makes sense. I'd say an overlay is probably my expectation, maybe combining the NSO App, achievements ("Missions"), the friends list, capture options, etc. rather than making the Home button pull double duty like it does on other platforms. It'll be kind of weird if they have a Pro Controller in this scenario, resulting in FIVE buttons in the centre rather than the now normal 4, but I could see the Overlay button being where Home is now, and Home moving to the centre, similar to where it on PlayStation.

For older controllers, I imagine you could open it by holding the Home button, unless the new overlay menu and Quick Home remain separate applets with different functionality. If that's the case, which I think makes a kind of sense, adding a software "Overlay" button to the Quick Home menu would remedy this, much like how older Xbox controllers lack a Share button, but can take screenshots and recordings by pressing the Xbox (Guide) button then selecting the option.

I'll note that, if I'm not mistaken, in the attached image the Steam Deck is indeed wired to the display there.

I don’t think there is much a point in a price drop currently as it would only really affect certain regions.

And they absolutely want to make a profit on the next device. There is no reason for them to incur unnecessary losses for little gain; it has little to do with WiiU & everything to do with the current economic market.
Or a good way to hurt sales of new software. They all exist in the same shops and "shelf space" and with Switch 2 being backwards compatible, that's a good reason for consumers to prioritize older games.

I think expanding the voucher system is a better way to go as a way to incentivize purchasing new games. "Buy new game, get heavy discount on old game." You accomplish something similar to the selects, but don't cannibalize a new purchase. You give also more "value" to budget minded consumers.
I think they have more or less phased out the Selects line. Between the various options to get Nintendo games fairly cheap they probably don’t think they need it.

Right? If I recall correctly, the rope that connected from the Wii controller to the strap was made thicker over time because players would fling their Wii remotes hard enough, it snapped.
um yes you are right. They also made rubber sleeves. I want to say they even shipped the thicker straps for free for a period of time.

Thank you for timecoding this. Some forums and imageboards wouldn't even bother.

A dedicated "NSO" button with invites, friends and voice chat almost makes sense. I'd say an overlay is probably my expectation, maybe combining the NSO App, achievements ("Missions"), the friends list, capture options, etc. rather than making the Home button pull double duty like it does on other platforms. It'll be kind of weird if they have a Pro Controller in this scenario, resulting in FIVE buttons in the centre rather than the now normal 4, but I could see the Overlay button being where Home is now, and Home moving to the centre, similar to where it on PlayStation.

For older controllers, I imagine you could open it by holding the Home button, unless the new overlay menu and Quick Home remain separate applets with different functionality. If that's the case, which I think makes a kind of sense, adding a software "Overlay" button to the Quick Home menu would remedy this, much like how older Xbox controllers lack a Share button, but can take screenshots and recordings by pressing the Xbox (Guide) button then selecting the option.

I'll note that, if I'm not mistaken, in the attached image the Steam Deck is indeed wired to the display there.
The only picture I could find, it was more like a demonstration.

But having the button below the Home Screen be related by NSO, seems the most likely, because I can legitimately see a huge overhauled of the NSO, with achievements via silver coins, online play and retro games.

At least according to Mobapad the rail is completelty gone.

Now in english @--R

The Switch 2 will continue to support existing Joy-Cons and the Pro Controller, still equipped with ALPS dual-axis linear motors for HD rumble.

The cartridge slot of the Switch 2 will support backward compatibility with physical Switch game cartridges, ensuring compatibility with players' existing game libraries, including digital versions. However, the second-generation cartridges may not be compatible with the first-generation console.

The new version of Joy-Con has a larger volume, and the sliding rail structure has been changed to magnetic suction. The SL and SR buttons are metal buttons. Magnetic suction is achieved through electromagnetic suction technology, controlled by electric current. It's worth noting that, in addition to the L, ZL, R, and ZR buttons on the sides of the Joy-Con controller, a third button has been added on both the left and right sides. Additionally, below the HOME button on the right Joy-Con, there is an additional function button!

The bottom of the Switch 2 will still feature a USB-C port for docking, and the new generation dock will undergo minor changes in appearance while enhancing performance, supporting 4K resolution. The new dock will feature a damping bracket on the back, allowing for a greater range of adjustable angles. The screen will be upgraded to an 8-inch display, supporting 1080P resolution.

I grabbed this from the other site.

Interesting. I guess they never really gave up on the idea, and figured it out eventually.
I mean, not to be a broken record, but it seems like "figuring it out" probably meant doing both at the same time. PiMax has magnetically attaching controllers with large "pins" holding them in place. If you want to pull it off without sacrificing internal space... You're probably using rails.

Honestly I’m starting to like the idea of a new name similar to “Switch”.

Nintendo Click, Nintendo Snap or something like this. Also Attach (but it’s too similar to Attack, not going to happen).

Any name sound strange but, if someone told me in 2016 that Switch was going to be the name, the reaction would have been the same.

At least according to Mobapad the rail is completelty gone.

I grabbed this from the other site.
Technically, they declare it to be "changed", and not axed- saying that the way you connect them has changed from sliding them on to magnetically snapping them on can be accurate without rails completely disappearing (which again is mechanically challenging.)

We also don't know how reliable, specific or accurate this particular report is, even if we might have reason to believe the broad strokes.

I mean, not to be a broken record, but it seems like "figuring it out" probably meant doing both at the same time. PiMax has magnetically attaching controllers with large "pins" holding them in place. If you want to pull it off without sacrificing internal space... You're probably using rails.
We'll see. Maybe they are sacrificing some internal space. Or maybe they thought of something really clever. Or maybe we're being fed lies.

Technically, they declare it to be "changed", and not axed- saying that the way you connect them has changed from sliding them on to magnetically snapping them on can be accurate without rails completely disappearing (which again is mechanically challenging.)

We also don't know how reliable, specific or accurate this particular report is, even if we might have reason to believe the broad strokes.
Yep, I think it's very likely that there is a second snap or some other lock used to keep the joycon from coming off.

As long as this new way to connect the cons to the system means there won't be absurd pairing issues after a couple years of use that's great lol. I don't really play handheld but trying to pair cons to the system became a hassle cause the system just wasn't recognizing em. I can't imagine the annoyance to handheld players it causes if it happens to them.

As long as this new way to connect the cons to the system means there won't be absurd pairing issues after a couple years of use that's great lol. I don't really play handheld but trying to pair cons to the system became a hassle cause the system just wasn't recognizing em. I can't imagine the annoyance to handheld players it causes if it happens to them.
Do people generally have issues connecting Joycons directly to the Switch Body? With my Launch Switch I have sometimes problems with Bluetooth Paring, but never that it didn't recognize Joycons when in the rails.

Do people generally have issues connecting Joycons directly to the Switch Body? With my Launch Switch I have sometimes problems with Bluetooth Paring, but never that it didn't recognize Joycons when in the rails.
I've seen a couple people complain about it but I genuinely don't think it's a widespread problem. That's why I said maybe it's a launch switch issue haha. It has happened to me like 7-10 times but it is so inconsistent that I'm not sure why it happens exactly.

Nintendo embrace magnetic technology, so beside a magnetic Joycon, I'm confident that Nintendo also using magnetic thumbstick for a new Joycon

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom