• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

As long as this new way to connect the cons to the system means there won't be absurd pairing issues after a couple years of use that's great lol. I don't really play handheld but trying to pair cons to the system became a hassle cause the system just wasn't recognizing em. I can't imagine the annoyance to handheld players it causes if it happens to them.
I'm living with it, yeah. Handheld mode is unplayable.

Nintendo embrace magnetic technology, so beside a magnetic Joycon, I'm confident that Nintendo also using magnetic thumbstick for a new Joycon
They're not quite entirely mutually exclusive, but if you have one it's unlikely one uses the other. Measuring stick input using a magnetic field means that the measurements would be thrown off by nearby strong magnets; strong magnets next to the stick attaching the controller to the console would definitely be a problem.

They're not quite entirely mutually exclusive, but if you have one it's unlikely one uses the other. Measuring stick input using a magnetic field means that the measurements would be thrown off by nearby strong magnets; strong magnets next to the stick attaching the controller to the console would definitely be a problem.
Depends. I don't think enough shielding is reasonably possible to remove the effect completely (were still talking about an affordable toy), but maybe calibration could compensate for it. It definitely is an engineering challenge and should not be cheap.

Nah people will be mad that it isn’t as fast as the ROG Ally in raw raster with 7 hours of battery life playing Assassins Creed Red or Monster Hunter Wilds, and that Mario 4D Universe XD RTX Edge of the Mushroom Kingdom edition, isn’t Path Traced and uses hybrid rt and screen space rendering.
with 2 Joycons and Dock and Advanced AR Camera for $400

There's no deeper meaning. Whoever made the google survey made a mistake. It was supposed to say just "Switch".

Think about it, the question was "Which of these gaming products would you consider buying?"

Would anyone consider buying something that hasn't been announced?

Would a google employee making surveys know something only very few people within Nintendo knows?

What is the occams razor?
You can’t know for sure that “Attach” being there was absolutely a mistake. I mean, clearly something was a mistake because if that is the real name, then it certainly wasn’t supposed to slip out early like that, but there are potential scenarios in which in could have happened, as I’ve explained here before:
If that’s the case…then why or how did they end up typing “Switch Attach” in the first place? Why put a made up name that no one will recognize in a survey like this over something more easily understood like “Switch 2” or “future Nintendo console” or something like that? And why, for that matter, ask people if they’d buy a console that hasn’t even been officially announced yet? It only really makes sense if it was either something that accidentally slipped through, possibly because the system may have been originally intended to have been revealed by now, or if this survey is specifically from Nintendo and they’re gauging interest in the next system compared to the competition, and/or they’re testing “Switch Attach” as a potential name for the system.

Also…it feels to “right” for a random typo or made up name. Like, it flows well and has very good synergy with the existing Switch name, both in English and Japanese:

N I N T E N D O
SWITCH
ATTACH

ニンテンドー
スイッチ
アタッチ

It’s satisfying just to look at, and I can imagine the logo being even more satisfying! Assuming it also describes a new central feature of the system (something beyond just attachable Joy-Con again, obviously), then honestly I think this name is a winner in my book. But it also just feels right to me… Maybe it is just some erroneous made up name, but I have no idea how or why that would be if it’s not either of the scenarios I described above.
Are neither of these scenarios plausible to you then?

As others have also said, and as it was rumored until recently with the alleged delay, the system could have been originally planned to be revealed earlier this month, and that survey could have been something that someone—potentially even Nintendo themselves—had ready to go prior to the delay, and somehow this accidentally slipped through without being canceled or altered to remove “Switch Attach” since it didn’t actually get revealed as planned. It could have also been something that was scheduled to automatically start at a certain date and they just forgot to change things before it went live. Again, not saying that this is absolutely the case at all…but I don’t think it would be that farfetched.

Also, your understanding of the YouTube survey is incorrect if you think it came from Google/YouTube. It was specifically an advertiser survey, meaning that it came from a company advertising on YouTube, not from YouTube itself. Again, it’s entirely possible that some company related to Nintendo or even Nintendo themselves made that survey and scheduled it to go live when it did, perhaps because the new system may have been originally planned to be revealed by that point (which is possible, as rumors suggest that the release has been pushed back, which would in turn delay the reveal), and someone messed up and forgot to reschedule the survey. I’m not saying I absolutely believe that this must be the case…but it’s a possibility, at least.

Regardless of whether the survey was legit or not, a name like “Nintendo Switch Attach” is certainly something that Nintendo is more likely to go with than “Nintendo Switch 2” at least, lol.

Last edited:
A dedicated "NSO" button with invites, friends and voice chat almost makes sense.
Oh, that'll be cool. A button to quickly send out invites, friends chat and voice chat. Although, the latter is something Nintendo doesn't like that much, I believe only Mario Kart 8 uses that 24/7, whereas Splatoon only does it for the menu's. But, if both Joycons and Pro controller have a jack for voice chat, it'll be much easier than using the phone.

As of invites, the current Switch has that feature, but only Mario Party Superstars has that unfortunately. I really would like to have more games have that feature in the future.

And speaking of friend game invites, a friend chat should come back. Some of the people in my Switch friend list aren't on my Discord, while some are in a different country. It'll be so much easier if I can send them a little message in a Friend Chat feature. And if you are close with a couple of friends, you could make small Group chat, like Pictochat did on DS.

I saw the extra button more as a button to activate streaming to a 3D or VR headset, like I shared earlier, but a NSO button would fit aswell.

Interesting. I guess they never really gave up on the idea, and figured it out eventually.
This is why I feel there won't be rails if the magnet rumor is true. Going through the trouble of using magnets only makes sense if it allows users to seamlessly snap the Joycons onto the console, as Nintendo originally wanted. Otherwise, they may as well use an improved rail design.

Do people generally have issues connecting Joycons directly to the Switch Body? With my Launch Switch I have sometimes problems with Bluetooth Paring, but never that it didn't recognize Joycons when in the rails.

I've seen a couple people complain about it but I genuinely don't think it's a widespread problem. That's why I said maybe it's a launch switch issue haha. It has happened to me like 7-10 times but it is so inconsistent that I'm not sure why it happens exactly.
Happens on my OLED all the damn time. My launch Switch too. I think it's a "way person holds switch" issue rather than an issue with a specific run of the hardware.

Happens on my OLED all the damn time. My launch Switch too. I think it's a "way person holds switch" issue rather than an issue with a specific run of the hardware.
Interesting! Though I'm convinced that I am holding the Switch wrong:
lzFlcMk.jpg

(I posted this picture already once on the other place a few years ago, please don't judge my hands)

I think you are supposed to grab it more at the corners of the joycons? I don't know.
Holding it like in the picture makes me feel pain at the bottom of my thumb after like 10-15 minutes of playing, but it's an internalized mechanism that I keep doing.

This article (from 2017) says you are supposed to hold it like this:
56563_506_hold-nintendo-switch-handheld-properly.jpg

Oh...ooooh. 7 years of engineering could solve that problem. And swing how well apple Handel's the magsave connector, there could have happened some cross pollination with accessory makers ...

(I know magsafe is not using elektromagnets. I still haven't figured out how much power they use)

Ok, found an example, an elektromagnet that has 1kg as a max limit, and power consumption of 400mA at 5v. That's about an hour with the batteries of the joy cons.

Now one can argue switch 2 won't be more then 500g, and you have 2 to hold, so they don't need that much strength.

3 problems arise: picking up the switch on one joy con, swaying the switch with to much force (since the 1kg is with gravity, 9.8m/s, so if the switch is moved faster in any direction proportionally the weight the magnet can hold reduces), and...what if the power is out? Battery dies, joy cons just fall of?

What I do think:
If they chose magnets, they'll chose permanent magnets and use a mechanical mechanism to "deactivate" them, for example:

Or they just have the magnets be always active. I actually don't know if it would be a problem or interfere with something 🤔

Am I overthinking the electromagnet part?

So someone mentioned the Pimax Portal as an example of a device where controllers are held by magnets only. I found this youtube video where someone tests it.

They explicitly mention that holding it on one controller isn’t particularly safe, apparently, though the magnetic attachment does seem to work reasonably well when held with two hands. However, if I look at my children carrying the switch around …

It does not seem impossible to engineer it such that it works, but then I would think as many others here do that magnets are only part of the attaching mechanism.

I think given the fact that you don't want your device to fall apart when battery runs low, the use of pure electromagnets can be safely ruled out. Now, the word “electropermanent magnets” have been mentioned a few times in this thread. Basically, I have found two types of such magnets:

• a electromagnet is used to produce a magnetic field countering the field of a permanent magnet. These types of magnets can be switched “off” by passing a DC current (see e.g. here), but as soon as you turn off the current, the magnetic field of the permanent magnet is there again.
  • the magnet consists of two permanent magnets. One is a soft magnet, and an electromagnet is used to reverse the magnetization direction. This can be done by briefly creating a field in the electromagnet that switches the soft magnet. So the two magnets can be either aligned (“on” state, strong field) or antialigned (“off” state, fields nearly cancel out). This is described e.g. in wikipedia

So far however I only found relatively large examples of such electropermanent magnets (say 1.5 cm diameter and above). Of course, such magnets make most sense in industrial applications, e.g. to transfer large amounts of scrap metal - I'm not sure if they are minituarized examples that could be used in such a handheld device?

Or electromagnets are only used to “suck” the controllers into a rail? Or the article mentioning “electromagnetic suction” is simply wrong in this regard?

So far however I only found relatively large examples of such electropermanent magnets (say 1.5 cm diameter and above). Of course, such magnets make most sense in industrial applications, e.g. to transfer large amounts of scrap metal - I'm not sure if they are minituarized examples that could be used in such a handheld device?
The Logitech MX Master 3 mouse uses small electropermanent magnets in its scroll wheel, allowing for adjustable scroll speed.

Steam Deck uses a semi-custom AMD APU (LCD uses "Aerith" which is TSMC 7nm, OLED uses "Sephiroth" which is TSMC 6nm). It's likely similar, but clearly built to last on a battery and arguably better for the purpose it was built than the APUs of Ryzen laptops, though I can't verify that with absolute certainty.
aerith!?
aerith-aeris.gif

What if the new button below home is a Mute button for the built-in microphone in the right Joy-Con
Now this is an interesting idea. If there's a mic, I'd also expect a headphone jack. The problem is the right joy-con as we know it already has an IR sensor along the whole bottom of the system. Where do you put the headphone jack?

If we believe the recent report that accessory manufacturers were allowed to touch but not see the new system, they would have felt a new headphone jack or noticed the missing IR sensor the same way they noticed new buttons.

I've also shot down 2 of your ideas at this point, so I just want to be clear that I don't have an anti-Derachi vendetta.

(I posted this picture already once on the other place a few years ago, please don't judge my hands)
Why would I judge your hands?!?

I think you are supposed to grab it more at the corners of the joycons? I don't know.
Holding it like in the picture makes me feel pain at the bottom of my thumb after like 10-15 minutes of playing, but it's an internalized mechanism that I keep doing.
Human beings were not built to make fiddly hand movements for hours on end, there is no "right" way to do it, just "more effective" and "more comfortable"

I hold mine similar to yours, but I don't have the pain problem, though I do sometimes have slippage where my hand very slowly moves up the side of the Switch, until I'm actually controlling the stick with the heel of my hand.

I'm not a very experienced video game player, I only started gaming as an adult at the start of the Switch generation. My issue is mostly that I probably use too much force, and the torque (like pulling down on the right stick while pushing forward on the left) slightly twists the Switch, and wears out the rails. Well, anyone pulling on one stick and pushing the other is twisting the Switch, it's just about "how much"

i have an idea for the Rummored Back Button on Switch2 Joycons , imagine something like a light "On-Off" switch placed horizenatlly and can be easy accessed by the middle finger , but both sides of the button are analog with nice force so in mario kart for example you can use it as acceleration button if you press it from the right side and as a brake if you press it from the left side , and there is another mechanisim in the button that i if you press it inside once you will change the analog functionality to be free to place it as you want , i mean imagine a couse on mario kart require the player to keep the top speed at certain point , then you can set the anlog button at the required speed and the button will stay at this even if you remove your finger from the analog button without worrying of keep balancing the analogue at the needed point. also in Metroid Prime 4 imagine using this button to zoom in and out like camera zoom and change the way you play this game as you can set samus visor from ultra wide angle camera if you pressed the button all the way to the left side to full zoom if you press the right side and if you set the button to free analog you can set the button on the zoom you like and it will keep the perspective without worrying about any camera changes.

it is also possible for the dual way dual function analog button to be something like mouse scroll and can be used as normal 2 way analog or if you press the button inside once you will change the function to scroll analog that can be placed the way you want without keep your finger for balancing.
and such a button will be also useful if you use the joycon sideway for 2 players.

for sure nintendo should use the same button on Pro 2 Controller and it will be bigger and easier to use , also i have an idea about the Pro2 Controller that can be Disonnected Magnatically to 2 parts and used free hand on TV Mode or can be connected to the Switch 2 Tablet and used as a "Pro Joycons" "it will be a much better option that getting Something like hori or Mobapad Replacements for someone need a nicer Grip.

i think there is many other possibilities to use such a mechanisim that can improve playing games and make some controls more intutive and this will be the 1st time we get a controller with meaningful back button.

Last edited:
Why would I judge your hands?!?
It is ok, I will.
please don't judge my hands.
😲😲😲😲 your hands are beautiful 😍 🤩 !
What if the new button below home is a Mute button for the built-in microphone in the right Joy-Con
That makes sense to me. You're selling an online service and you don't have a good way to offer voice communication? Just stick a mic on the controller and call it a day.

So someone mentioned the Pimax Portal as an example of a device where controllers are held by magnets only. I found this youtube video where someone tests it.

They explicitly mention that holding it on one controller isn’t particularly safe, apparently, though the magnetic attachment does seem to work reasonably well when held with two hands. However, if I look at my children carrying the switch around …

That's what's worying me to
It does not seem impossible to engineer it such that it works, but then I would think as many others here do that magnets are only part of the attaching mechanism.
Here I'm... Not so sure. If the mechanism doesn't hold with magnets, then it needs to hold mechanically. I only know 2 ways, a rail like like we have now, or one where you're not pushing it in laterally but direct in direction of the switch. That would be an expensive and more error prone way, and while the magnets would help with allignment, you would still need to push it in place. Sous not sound to great to me.
I think given the fact that you don't want your device to fall apart when battery runs low, the use of pure electromagnets can be safely ruled out. Now, the word “electropermanent magnets” have been mentioned a few times in this thread. Basically, I have found two types of such magnets:

• a electromagnet is used to produce a magnetic field countering the field of a permanent magnet. These types of magnets can be switched “off” by passing a DC current (see e.g. here), but as soon as you turn off the current, the magnetic field of the permanent magnet is there again.
  • the magnet consists of two permanent magnets. One is a soft magnet, and an electromagnet is used to reverse the magnetization direction. This can be done by briefly creating a field in the electromagnet that switches the soft magnet. So the two magnets can be either aligned (“on” state, strong field) or antialigned (“off” state, fields nearly cancel out). This is described e.g. in wikipedia

Yeah, seen those to. Just seems like a lot of headache to me for not much benefit
Or electromagnets are only used to “suck” the controllers into a rail? Or the article mentioning “electromagnetic suction” is simply wrong in this regard?
I honestly hope that it's either wrong or they have a ingenious mechanic. All the discussed solutions are just worse then the rail.

I also thought of solenoids for locking the controllers to witch (similar to now, but you don't have to slide it from above), I've seen some mechanisms like that with small metal balls that fall into groves. But my problem is simply that the mechanism should also work with zero power.

Remember when Koizumi hated magnets
He was the guest in one of the Kit & Krista episodes before Switch's launch and he was telling few facts about the console. One of them was that they experimented wih magnetic Joy-Cons and he showed the example that if you played your Joy-Cons would simply fall off.

Thanks for the video and timestamp.

Apparently he was pretty excited about it, but it didn't work.

And now looks like it finally did 😎

One thing that would be interesting is a pseudo frame generation that basically just helped 30 FPS games appear more smooth. Kind of like a console based neural network for motion smoothing.

So are these articles reliable?

Hard to say. The one accessory maker straight up published their report in English and I'm kind of surprised that Nintendo wouldn't try to immediately have it taken down which makes me wonder if the report is accurate or not. Weird situation. Guess we will have to wait and see if any other sources come fourth.

Truth be told, it's weird that a 3rd party manufacturer like Mobapad would say this on their own. Like, I assume they are under a NDA.
And what is most peculiar to me is that a random twitter user (or other platform) who could spread misinformation, could do it for the likes of being in the spotlight for a week. But an official company who produces accessories? What do they have to gain from spreading misinformation?

One thing that I like this design with magnetic is that the R and L on lateral will not be detachable, like the Switch. The fact that they are metallic is probably to help to attach then on switch body.

And all these switch-like design from android devices make me think that Nintendo Is too secretive with switch 2 design and the new futures, right now, is not because Sony or MS, but to prevent a switch 2 android like device release and steal steam from switch 2.

The last thing they will reveal, I think, will be the body and the new futures of that device. Name, games and other things will be revealed a lot early.

So the idea I put forward yesterday was that the leak doesn't directly create any extra "risk" for the third-party accessory company, and again, I emphasize that the third-party accessory maker really has no way of verifying whether or not it's completely credible, But the few Nintendo KOLs I follow in China, even the stricter ones, consider the information to be credible, but only consider some of it to be inaccurate or "false".

Unlike the thread, the KOLs on the Chinese side are not questioning the information on specific hardware implementations, but rather don't think 3rd party accessory vendors will be clear on whether the switch2 is backward compatible on game card at this early date, as that involves software level details.

Last edited:
Unlike the thread, the KOLs on the Chinese side are not questioning the information on specific hardware implementations, but rather don't think 3rd party accessory vendors will be clear on whether the switch2 is backward compatible on game card at this early date, as that involves software level details.
wouldn't this most likely be an extrapolation from game card cases (e.g. this one) that need to accommodate both the original cards and the switch 2 ones?

So, what I'm saying is that this information needs to wait until Pyoro has fully verified it before I can judge whether it's fully credible or not, because I likewise think that this leaked article could be missing in many details or could be the accessory maker's own speculation (and, of course, fakery).

Truth be told, it's weird that a 3rd party manufacturer like Mobapad would say this on their own. Like, I assume they are under a NDA.
And what is most peculiar to me is that a random twitter user (or other platform) who could spread misinformation, could do it for the likes of being in the spotlight for a week. But an official company who produces accessories? What do they have to gain from spreading misinformation?
Money. They sell Pro Joycons and those looking for a better Switch are exactly their target audience. And with this leak, more of their target audience knows they exist.

99% of Switch accessories aren't licensed, the ones paying Nintendo a fee (like Hori, PowerA, Sandisk) will make sure you know they're licensed in the box and description. Mobapad is in that 99% and they didn't sign any contract with Nintendo, so they're most likely safe (their source would be in trouble if found though).

So, what I'm saying is that this information needs to wait until Pyoro has fully verified it before I can judge whether it's fully credible or not, because I likewise think that this leaked article could be missing in many details or could be the accessory maker's own speculation (and, of course, fakery).
I don't think Pyoro can honestly be expected to verify it. A point made a while ago is that Pyoro hasn't done much in terms of hardware. If the Vandal article is to be believed (in addition to the Mochizuki speculation thing), then it was an in-person event. How is Pyoro to verify that? That's very hard to do unless he confirms it with multiple people who went to that event, which I imagine is very hard to do.

If someone can verify it, fine sure whatever, but it's not something that seems all too possible.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom