• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Fact of the matter is, TF count should never be used as anything more than a vague indication of where a piece of hardware lands.

I think people forgot a little too much how hard low end Pascal GPUs wiped the floor with the entire 8th generation of consoles in terms of real world performance. TFLOPS and GHz are fun and all, but it didn't prevent the base PS4 to be completely outclassed (if not floor wiped) on all fronts by a GTX 1050 Ti thrown into a 2008 Xeon workstation retrieved from a dumpster.

Same thing when comparing a Switch V1 in portable mode with a PS3 or a 360, and it always applies to these apples to oranges "comparisons"!

Man this thing sounds like it’s going to be a beast of a system.

An awesome moment would be when they finally present the console and show off some games and then say, “We’ve been missing something” throw on the DLSS switch and see the performance jump.

Just a cringey nerd moment for me personally.

Not a chance in hell that happens. Just not the way Nintendo do things.

The system will be described as powerful with high end graphics, they’ll show the visuals, and that will be it.

we take those. after hearing it was going to be essentially Switch 1.5 for a while this is so far beyond expectations im in awe
That was a misinterpretation. If you are talking about the chinese leak. that was saying its conceptually conservative. Got nothing to do with whats under the hood. And it still seems to be true

The system will be described as powerful with high end graphics, they’ll show the visuals, and that will be it.
Yep, if DLSS is an integral part of the console, there's no way they're doing this.

However, if we're getting performance updates, i can see them doing that for some Switch games - BotW and TotK could easily be the poster child for this.

This also isn’t a 1:1 comparison, Switch 2 will support tile rendering (like Switch), which PS4 Pro doesn’t, and will need less bandwidth that way.
Right but it’s not going to double or triple the bandwidth compared to the PS4 Pro, it’ll definitely help, but it’s not a miracle worker.

That said, as I speculated earlier I wonder if this has a System Level Cache considering it used ARM’s DSU (like ORIN), of which you need a SLC for coherency. The tiles can probably be stored there.

Also it won’t have a storage limited by a weak CPU (it‘ll even have its own memory compression engine) and more cache. Switch 2 will be more than able to compensate for it.
This isn’t really related to what I’m talking about and I never denied this aspect, fwiw.

Fun mind cinema:

When Nintendo provided near-final or final dev-kits to Capcom along with the finalized tech details of the retails units, they hopefully added a personal note to the package reading:

"Here, go WILDS with that ... oh and don't ask us for anything ever again."

(This is of course just a joke scenario.)

Yep, if Nvidia does a blogpost they will probably talk a little bit about nvn2 and dlss, but that will be it.

Fun mind cinema:

When Nintendo provided near-final or final dev-kits to Capcom along with the finalized tech details of the retails units, they hopefully added a personal note to the package reading:

"Here, go WILDS with that ... oh and don't ask us for anything ever again."

(This is of course just a joke scenario.)
And Capcom is still going to be pissed it wasnt 16gb.

Do you guys think maybe Microsoft is gonna reveal the handheld next month as a sort of "Break glass" thing? Or is it still too early in development for that?

They need to get software in order before making any new hardware

Would be a slap in the face of everyone they have laid off

And Capcom is still going to be pissed it wasnt 16gb.

"What??? Just 12GB? The fuck is this?!?!?"

Reads the allocated RAM for system, and the amount available for games

"Wait ... you can allocate this little for OS and actually that much for games? Sony and MS have some 'xplaining to do!"

This forum is frequented by people from every continent. In Europe it is 11 am.

Can confirm, being from Europe.

Right but it’s not going to double or triple the bandwidth compared to the PS4 Pro, it’ll definitely help, but it’s not a miracle worker.
Based on the memory bandwidth of desktop Ampere GPUs such as the 3080, the ~100-120 GB/s we can expect in docked mode should be more than enough for a GPU of T239's caliber.

Less but better is what I want, simply cause you can use it for key moments and assets.

Just thinking what Nintendo can do to add ray tracing either as a flair to settings or use if fore some weird gameplay mechanics with ray casting... :D

Yeah, 3.1 ufs should be fine in 99% of the cases and was my ideal scenario, ufs3.1@256GB sound like the best balance, big enough to fit any game, fast enough for almost all usecases, cheap enough to not explode in cost.
EPD could run a demo of Mario seamless fast traveling to different themed worlds through pipe not unlike Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart's dimensions and it'd make a good case for the system's load times.

But Nintendo is a practical company and we're not in the days of GameCube, so if they're gonna show something like that off it may as well be an actual work in progress now.

Slowly catching up from the beginning of this wild ride up to my posts yesterday ... with everything i'm reading, i gotta be honest ... 450 to 500 would be a high, but still somewhat fair price for the console.

Certainly a price range i would be willing to pay without getting a stomach ache from eating the anger of paying an outrageous amount of money.

I wonder if we're going to see reports based on the things you crazy, lovable folks found today from the big outlets like IGN or Eurogamer.

Doing my best to catch up with everything that's been found and it all sounds really good on paper

One question I do have is do we have any idea how expandable storage might work? It sounds like the increase in read speed with the UFS 3.1 would mean regular SD cards aren't compatible with their read speeds if I'm picking up everything right?
GVG were talking about potentially external storage being a docked thing and moving games between external and internal storage but I feel like that's a step back from the elegance and convenience the current Switch offers

Doing my best to catch up with everything that's been found and it all sounds really good on paper

One question I do have is do we have any idea how expandable storage might work? It sounds like the increase in read speed with the UFS 3.1 would mean regular SD cards aren't compatible with their read speeds if I'm picking up everything right?
GVG were talking about potentially external storage being a docked thing and moving games between external and internal storage but I feel like that's a step back from the elegance and convenience the current Switch offers

Look i might be totally wrong here, but i think the current SD Express cards can somewhat match the internal storage speed?

The "switch next" question lol:

Q6 Regarding the successor to Nintendo Switch, is there any special intention behind calling it a "successor?" Looking back at past hardware announcements, Wii U was described as a "systemto succeed Wii," and Nintendo Switch as a "game platform with a brand-new concept." This time it is described as a "successor to Nintendo Switch." Is this an indication of your intent to continue with the gameplay and concept of Nintendo Switch? You said there will be an update during this fiscal year. At that time, will you talk about its launch timing and specifications?

A6 Furukawa:At this stage, we cannot say anything more about the successor to Nintendo Switch. For today's announcement, we determined that the most appropriate expression to use was "successor to Nintendo Switch."Information will be released in stages leading up to the launch, as we have done with previous new hardware announcements.

EPD could run a demo of Mario seamless fast traveling to different themed worlds through pipe not unlike Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart's dimensions and it'd make a good case for the system's load times.

But Nintendo is a practical company and we're not in the days of GameCube, so if they're gonna show something like that off it may as well be an actual work in progress now.

You actually made me think of one possibility, not for Mario, but for Zelda: What if they do a(nother) game with light/dark world mechanic, but in this case it works instantaneously. The potential for exploration and puzzles could be vast!

You actually made me think of one possibility, not for Mario, but for Zelda: What if they do a(nother) game with light/dark world mechanic, but in this case it works instantaneously. The potential for exploration and puzzles could be vast!
That can work too.

When asked how Nintendo wants to achieve 13.5 million Switch sales, they mention they have multiple strategies in mind. They reference hardware bundles, but imho a price cut might be on the table as well. Wonder if they would lower the price of the Oled model as well. Could use one, even though the successor is coming up.

The "switch next" question lol:

Q6 Regarding the successor to Nintendo Switch, is there any special intention behind calling it a "successor?" Looking back at past hardware announcements, Wii U was described as a "systemto succeed Wii," and Nintendo Switch as a "game platform with a brand-new concept." This time it is described as a "successor to Nintendo Switch." Is this an indication of your intent to continue with the gameplay and concept of Nintendo Switch? You said there will be an update during this fiscal year. At that time, will you talk about its launch timing and specifications?

A6 Furukawa:At this stage, we cannot say anything more about the successor to Nintendo Switch. For today's announcement, we determined that the most appropriate expression to use was "successor to Nintendo Switch."Information will be released in stages leading up to the launch, as we have done with previous new hardware announcements.
Even they release GameboyU as a successor of switch, it still fulfill this description. So Furukawa actually leak nothing about NG which i think it is reasonable.

I see a lot of posts across the gaming forums saying how they can’t wait to see what so and so and who’s it’s developer gonna do with this powerful switch 2.
Thing is every game released on the system will look great!
This thing sounds like an astronomical leap over the OG switch.
This ain’t game cube to Wii to or WiiU to Switch scenario.
This is Nintendo going power first over gimmick.

I see a lot of posts across the gaming forums saying how they can’t wait to see what so and so and who’s it’s developer gonna do with this powerful switch 2.
Yup true. I also didn't want gimmick in Switch 2, just power up all things from Switch 1. But in Switch 3 or new concept then Nintendo can start again their innovative gimmick

Which honestly has been how their handheld progressions have always worked. DS had a second screen but it was still a substantial improvement over GBA. This upgrade is about supporting more games on the platform.

Can someone count what clocks we will have with 5W being for CPU and 5W being for GPU in handheld? More or less

Last edited:
My personal theory is that Nintendo should switch (hahaha) between two strategies for how to plan and realize a console.

Basically, on a gen where they priorize "gimmick" / a shake-up in a console, in case it's a working one (Switch for example), they should follow up with a "evolution" instead of a "revolution".

So them doing a "basic" / "boring" Switch 2 is perfectly fine. For me at least.

Honestly, if the botw demo was true, then it's simply enough to show an impressive game without load times. No need to create specific demos.

The next generation OS will not use the same OS as the current Switch, right?
Seems like the os would require more ram if you were to add features like quick resume.

I find the Switch transition from powering on -> main menu -> starting game -> play already quick enough in most cases.

So i personally would prefer them to keep OS as small as possible, which does mean as "featureless" as possible somewhat, and give most RAM available to games.

something like lords of the fallen where the dark world and light world are layered over one another and when you Switch™️ it melts away into the other world

If gamescom leak last year is real, then i think T239 8nm may need to have some magic to achieve that performance.
the demo sounded impressive but devils advocate it could still reach impressive performance levels on 8nm in docked with the improved cooling system (lets presume the 'target hardware' was maxed out). we don't know what resolution the Matrix demo was running at, what the base resolution was (if DLSS was employed) etc. lots of variables vs a hard number if we knew the final clocks.

Last edited:
Is the "real" question

"Would Nintendo just add dock-cooling for good performance bumps using 8nm?"

or is it

"Would Nintendo 'gimp' portable mode this much using 8nm, while beefing dock play up way too much?"

When asked how Nintendo wants to achieve 13.5 million Switch sales, they mention they have multiple strategies in mind. They reference hardware bundles, but imho a price cut might be on the table as well. Wonder if they would lower the price of the Oled model as well. Could use one, even though the successor is coming up.
How much is the OLED model now? From where I live, the OLED model cost around $250 when converted..

I find the Switch transition from powering on -> main menu -> starting game -> play already quick enough in most cases.

So i personally would prefer them to keep OS as small as possible, which does mean as "featureless" as possible somewhat, and give most RAM available to games.

I only want them to improve the eshop.

The next generation OS will not use the same OS as the current Switch, right?
Seems like the os would require more ram if you were to add features like quick resume.

I believe quick resume doesn't have impact on RAM usage. All it does is to save the RAM content on the storage (and then read from it and copy to RAM when you want to go back to that game)

I would love quick resume on switch. I'm playing star wars jedi survivor on PC and I hate how slow it is to go through all that opening screen till I can finally load my save.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom