• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Regarding MicroSDs... if I'll use my 512GB SanDisk microSD (not the Extreme model) on Switch 2 will the games load slower or impact performance?
Compared to internal storage, yes, it's reasonable to believe that it would be much slower than the new internal storage.

However, the improved capabilities of the new system, such as the better CPU, should mean it'll load faster on the new system than the current system with all else being equal.

If MUJI is the codename, what can we expect it means, as I read that somebody put out a list of what previous codenames meant.
What can MUJI stand for...?

You can put it easily in the names of the Nintendo heads. Furumuji, Mujikawa, Aomuji, Miyamuji, and so on.

Wish one of these insiders could perhaps confirm if there's a major new gimmick 0.0
Well, unfortunately, or fortunately...

Muji does mean 'plain'.

I don't even think we saw a single camera in the shipping data; even the IR Motion Camera might be out the window.

Regarding MicroSDs... if I'll use my 512GB SanDisk microSD (not the Extreme model) on Switch 2 will the games load slower or impact performance?
probably the same way as PS5 with disk storage (HDD). Can't use it with PS5's native game and no benefit for backward compatibility

Well, unfortunately, or fortunately...

Muji does mean 'plain'.

I don't even think we saw a single camera in the shipping data; even the IR Motion Camera might be out the window.
I know IR was really underused but I did like it for its (probably completely inaccurate) heart rate estimates in Ring Fit.

we probably don't have enough info for that yet
I'm not talking about shipping data. Necrolipe confirmed that he knows minimum 5 publishers making games with immediate support for the new console. I believe Nate knows developers working on the new system also, surely someone is taking advantage of a new gimmick if there is one. Would be a little strange if nobody knew anything at all.

無印 is mujirushi
Muji is 無地, with 無 means no and 地 means earth/ground/texture. It essentially means no-texture or plain.

But we know how Japanese loves playing words with kanji, so muji could be written with 夢次 (dream+next) to imply that Switch 2 will be the next dream for Nintendo (after Switch 1).

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
(kinda love this)

What are these great number of advantages that it has that would have it outperform the PS4 Pro before DLSS? Is it low level API? Developer support? We removed DLSS from the picture since it’s pre-DLSS, so that means the tensor cores aren’t being used for their intended purpose, what are the updated features of T239 that would have it outperform the PS4 Pro?

Not tile based rendering as you’d said that already, so I’m assuming it’s something else. The difference between ampere and the GCN Frankenstein hybrid that exists in the PlayStation 4 Pro is about four years or so of change.

It has advantages*, but now I’m curious on what the great number of advantages are to top the PS4 Pro, and since the focus is of gen 8 games I’m also assuming it’s not even using ray tracing atp.

*I don’t think I have enough space to detail how many advantages exist, I already know it but this post is removing the aforementioned major advantages and now it has me curious if I missed some aspects of it.
Much better CPU, higher RAM, faster storage (+FDE), bigger cache. GPU power might be a bit worse, might a bit better. And if Oldpuck‘s 25GB/s/teraflop math for Ampere is right, it also won’t be bandwidth starved at 4 teraflops.

Whatever, I‘m tired of that comparison. PS4 Pro is a 8th gen console, Switch 2 is a 9th gen handheld. Imo, Switch 2 will perform better in most cases, while PS4 Pro might be better in others. You probably won’t change your opinion anyway, so let’s just agree to disagree (until we have more data).

Because necrolipe is a bandwagoner and is using Fami's info to make it look like he already knew the codename.
That's debatable, I will say he was pretty strongly confirming H1 2024 based on his sources and that likely wasn't ever even in the cards however he has been known to get Nintendo direct dates pretty spot on. Kinda difficult to say where he stands on the whole reliability scale. Smooth talker though.

Come on, be nice.
Yeah, like, I have some big reservations about insiders the whole time, but they're just that, reservations. Let's be absolutely clear, Necro is fairly reliable and willing to communicate with us as a community - he's part of it. Further confirmation by him is valuable, I feel.

If MUJI is the codename, what can we expect it means, as I read that somebody put out a list of what previous codenames meant.
They don't usually mean that much. NX meant nothing as far as we know. Dolphin (GC) was mayybe a Mario Sunshine island delfino reference. Revolution (Wii) I guess was a revolutionary concept. Project Cafe (Wii U) who knows, but it's interesting that they followed the convention when naming the cpu and gpu (espresso and latte).

Come on, be nice.

All I'm going to say is this isn't the first time he does something like that, if you pay attention you will see several instances where he did the same thing but people don't realize because they're hungry for information. Like I said before, I believe that just like Zippo, he has some info (I think regarding marketing material) but he doesn't limit himself to talk about what he knows for a fact, so you can never know if what he says can be trusted or not. Most of the time he does it in a way that is impossible to verify, like not making clear whether it's knowledge or speculation on his part, or being vague enough that you won't be able to say he was wrong or right after the fact.

This is not a catch all "ugh insiders" jab, I trust responsible insiders like Nate and Brazil, this is specifically about necrolipe's style.

How do we know for sure that Muji is the code name? Shouldn’t we just wait for Nintendo to reveal it themselves?
That’s the thing. Nintendo doesn’t always reveal code names willingly. There has been times in the past Nintendo didn’t share the code name directly but was found out through others

Don't want to be the obvious one neither want to add salt to you cup of cafe tea, but I mean... Codenames are codenames, just as much as project names are just project names.

I think it should be reminded that every major part of a hardware can have its own codename. For instance on Wii U we had coffee themed codenames: Cafe (OS), Espresso (CPU), Latte (GPU), Starbuck (embedded ARM chip). For the Wii, it was showbiz: CPU was called Broadway, GPU was Hollywood, embedded ARM chip was called Starlet.
Don't quite remember the codenames for Switch parts.

It is possible "Muji" have no meaning at all (not really sure if that is indeed the codename for a part or for the console itself), but if so they are probably under a major theme that Nintendo R&D thought of.

How do we know for sure that Muji is the code name? Shouldn’t we just wait for Nintendo to reveal it themselves?
As far as I can tell, wherever NX appeared behind the scenes, in the SDK or documentation, Muji is what appeared for the new console. This is a very strong indication.

As far as I can tell, Muji doesn't mean "placeholder", but "undecorated". Be it a reference to the store Muji or a direct statement of "undecorated"- plain, without gimmicks, I think it makes sense. It's a 'plain' successor, possibly even sans gimmicks.

Muji + Furukawa also works for One Piece fans: Mujiwara <> Mugiwara!

All I'm going to say is this isn't the first time he does something like that, if you pay attention you will see several instances where he did the same thing but people don't realize because they're hungry for information. Like I said before, I believe that just like Zippo, he has some info (I think regarding marketing material) but he doesn't limit himself to talk about what he knows for a fact, so you can never know if what he says can be trusted or not. Most of the time he does it in a way that is impossible to verify, like not making clear whether it's knowledge or speculation on his part, or being vague enough that you won't be able to say he was wrong or right after the fact.

This is not a catch all "ugh insiders" jab, I trust responsible insiders like Nate and Brazil, this is specifically about necrolipe's style.

Nope, be better.

Don't want to be the obvious one neither want to add salt to you cup of cafe tea, but I mean... Codenames are codenames, just as much as project names are just project names.

I think it should be reminded that every major part of a hardware can have its own codename. For instance on Wii U we had coffee themed codenames: Cafe (OS), Espresso (CPU), Latte (GPU), Starbuck (embedded ARM chip). For the Wii, it was showbiz: CPU was called Broadway, GPU was Hollywood, embedded ARM chip was called Starlet.
Don't quite remember the codenames for Switch parts.

It is possible "Muji" have no meaning at all (not really sure if that is indeed the codename for a part or for the console itself), but if so they are probably under a major theme that Nintendo R&D thought of.
Actually that adds sugar to my coffee - if I'm not mistaken a lot of Nintendo Switch circuits have REALLY plain names. The most expressive it gets is ODIN.

But what are the codes/codenames we have at the moment? CMB, GML, possibly Fifty, Muji, Drake, CKUI, HGU. I wonder if there's some theme that brings them all together. Focusing on CMB, HGU and CKUI, perhaps locations?

Coloumb power, Hegelian Universality, Cooke User Interface? Scientists and philosophers?

My only familiarity with "Muji" is the minimalist Japanese goods company (that has cute stationary and furniture), from my understanding 'Muji' meant 'unbranded'.

It sounds almost like a joke for the codename, 'NX' sounds like a placeholder (Nintendo X, Nintendo unknown) and 'Muji' means 'unbranded / unlabeled'. Like they're so secretive the console's nickname indicates it belongs to no company.

The info that I comment on outside of Fami isn't on HIDE tags and several of them already got spreaded on web (Reddit / ERA) before I start to speak of on my Twitter. People like you that judges me time to time always appear and I don't care because I just ignore as this is the most common thig to do for individuals like you

Don't like me? Skip and take care of your life.

My only familiarity with "Muji" is the minimalist Japanese goods company (that has cute stationary and furniture), from my understanding 'Muji' meant 'unbranded'.

It sounds almost like a joke for the codename, 'NX' sounds like a placeholder (Nintendo X, Nintendo unknown) and 'Muji' means 'unbranded / unlabeled'. Like they're so secretive the console's nickname indicates it belongs to no company.
I think that's a valid interpretation, but I have rather the opposite view!

NX - Nintendo CROSS. Like how X means fusion in Digimon Xcross wars. Or the "cross" on a PS controller. Street Fighter X Tekken, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, both 'cross'. A crossover, not a variable.

Muji - Undecorated, plain, simple, good enough. A simple successor with minimal gimmicks, no more "cruft", just good games.

rip Connor

On Muji: this is unlikely, but if we split it into its components and take onyomi readings, we could have ji as 磁 (magnet) but choices for mu are... less elegant (務 task or duty / 武 military / 夢 dream / 謀 plot or scheme)
...my personal thought would be 夢磁 or 務磁 if so
Remember this is considering it as two separate characters without a synthesised expression from their combination, thus not a linguistically elegant interpretation of it

i don't know the numbers but this sounds like more than Mariko, though the Jetson tool doesn't include any efficiency savings in the custom T239. i'm genuinely curious about the second fan thing and whether it points either way to 8nm or the smaller node (or maybe something else) or it's just inconclusive.
OG Switch uses up to 14W total (actually 18W when charging). The GPU alone is more like ~6W. Even the Steam Deck uses up to 15W for the entire APU, not just the GPU.

Seeing as the 3DS codename, CTR, turned out to be a meaningless wordplay on Centrair, from the name of a Nagoya airport (Chubu Centrair International Airport), I don't think there will be a meaningful explanation to Muji either. Codenames are just that – codenames.

My bad then. Could've sworn it was mentioned but nonetheless, some people need to chill. It's just a codename, nothing we can deduct anything from and rather arbitrary in nature.

Give it time - the excitement is already dying down, there's more exciting stuff to discover. Like clock speeds!

Actually that adds sugar to my coffee - if I'm not mistaken a lot of Nintendo Switch circuits have REALLY plain names. The most expressive it gets is ODIN.

But what are the codes/codenames we have at the moment? CMB, GML, possibly Fifty, Muji, Drake, CKUI, HGU. I wonder if there's some theme that brings them all together. Focusing on CMB, HGU and CKUI, perhaps locations?

Coloumb power, Hegelian Universality, Cooke User Interface? Scientists and philosophers?
Actually, those codenames I mentioned are Nintendo's. Odin is Nvidia' s codename to the motherboard/console itself, just like Gimle. Nvidia apparently uses norse mithology to those, and I think someone also mentioned they using heroes names as well (Kal-El, Drake, etc). For their GPU microarchitecture, Nvidia uses scientists names (e.g Fermi, Ampere, etc).

rip Connor

On Muji: this is unlikely, but if we split it into its components and take onyomi readings, we could have ji as 磁 (magnet) but choices for mu are... less elegant (務 task or duty / 武 military / 夢 dream / 謀 plot or scheme)
...my personal thought would be 夢磁 or 務磁 if so
Remember this is considering it as two separate characters without a synthesised expression from their combination, thus not a linguistically elegant interpretation of it
The Magnet Plot sounds like a Sherlock Holmes story.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom