• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I don’t remember the exact quote but he basically called switch 2 the next level of switch..or something like that.
That was a mistranslation, here‘s the official translation:

Regarding the successor to Nintendo Switch, is there any special intention behind calling it a
"successor?" Looking back at past hardware announcements, Wii U was described as a "system
to succeed Wii," and Nintendo Switch as a "game platform with a brand-new concept." This
time it is described as a "successor to Nintendo Switch." Is this an indication of your intent to
continue with the gameplay and concept of Nintendo Switch? You said there will be an update
during this fiscal year. At that time, will you talk about its launch timing and specifications?

Furukawa:
At this stage, we cannot say anything more about the successor to Nintendo Switch. For
today's announcement, we determined that the most appropriate expression to use was
"successor to Nintendo Switch."
Information will be released in stages leading up to the launch, as we have done with
previous new hardware announcements.

I don’t remember the exact quote but he basically called switch 2 the next level of switch..or something like that.
This is still going around huh? That tweet from David Gibson was a loose translation out of context. The actual answer said they're not talking about the nature of the Switch successor and that they decided it was best to just call it "Switch successor" for now.

Regarding the successor to Nintendo Switch, is there any special intention behind calling it a
"successor?" Looking back at past hardware announcements, Wii U was described as a "system
to succeed Wii," and Nintendo Switch as a "game platform with a brand-new concept." This
time it is described as a "successor to Nintendo Switch." Is this an indication of your intent to
continue with the gameplay and concept of Nintendo Switch? You said there will be an update
during this fiscal year. At that time, will you talk about its launch timing and specifications?

Furukawa:
At this stage, we cannot say anything more about the successor to Nintendo Switch. For
today's announcement, we determined that the most appropriate expression to use was
Information will be released in stages leading up to the launch, as we have done with
This kind of response makes sense, if Switch 2 is in fact similar form factor as Switch 1 (hybrid, tablet, joycons).

Actually, those codenames I mentioned are Nintendo's. Odin is Nvidia' s codename to the motherboard/console itself, just like Gimle. Nvidia apparently uses norse mithology to those, and I think someone also mentioned they using heroes names as well (Kal-El, Drake, etc). For their GPU microarchitecture, Nvidia uses scientists names (e.g Fermi, Ampere, etc).
Huh? I never said otherwise! As far as I'm aware, CMB, HGU and CKUI are Nintendo at play here, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not discounting the possibility of the two sets of codenames playing off each other.

Muji seems like someone's joke tbh.

"Hey Furukawa make up a code name for the new system"

"Yeah idk man just call it something bland"

"Okay boss will do"

I'd say the conceptual legacy doesn't mean a lack of gimmicks, especially after the Ninspider and Mobapad blurbs, and I'm intrigued by the addition of three buttons to the new joycon.

The info that I comment on outside of Fami isn't on HIDE tags and several of them already got spreaded on web (Reddit / ERA) before I start to speak of on my Twitter. People like you that judges me time to time always appear and I don't care because I just ignore as this is the most common thig to do for individuals like you

Don't like me? Skip and take care of your life.

Just to set the record straight I'm just not on Twitter so I saw the posts from your twitter as a different insider being brought in from time to time. I just found it sus to provide a confirmation after it's speculated what the codename was, but now I understand your story and history 🫡 .

It‘s a succesor, of course it‘ll. But that has nothing to do with new gimmicks and innovations (which most of the time add to an existing thing instead of starting from scratch at Nintendo).
I know. I mean, the response also fits if there's no gimmicks/innovations. Nintendo keep repeats this phrase: successor to Nintendo Switch

This is still going around huh? That tweet from David Gibson was a loose translation out of context. The actual answer said they're not talking about the nature of the Switch successor and that they decided it was best to just call it "Switch successor" for now.

Furukawa:
Ah I see! I stand corrected.
So the final form is not confirmed then.
I should’ve known better than to take the translation as fact so soon after the meeting was done.
Thank you.

Ah I see! I stand corrected.
So the final form is not confirmed then.

I should’ve known better than to take the translation as fact so soon after the meeting was done.
Thank you.
We should have an official translation soon, too, so hopefully that clears things up once and for all.

I think that's a valid interpretation, but I have rather the opposite view!

NX - Nintendo CROSS. Like how X means fusion in Digimon Xcross wars. Or the "cross" on a PS controller. Street Fighter X Tekken, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, both 'cross'. A crossover, not a variable.

Muji - Undecorated, plain, simple, good enough. A simple successor with minimal gimmicks, no more "cruft", just good games.
I buy it.

A third interpretation is that they just named it after the store, though I don't know how popular it is in Japan. It's fairly hip here in NYC, a little cute shop where you can get Japanese minimalist knickknacks. I got all my notebooks and pens from there in high school.

I buy it.

A third interpretation is that they just named it after the store, though I don't know how popular it is in Japan. It's fairly hip here in NYC, a little cute shop where you can get Japanese minimalist knickknacks. I got all my notebooks and pens from there in high school.
I think the third interpretation can exist alongside either of the others. As far as I'm aware, Muji is actually a pretty significant chain in Japan.

Minimalist knick-knack store, minimal gimmicks? Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Some thoughts on why Nintendo has (seemingly) put a fan in the dock too.

1) The dock supports a faster charging speed than a standard AC adapter. Charging batteries generate heat, charging them faster generates more heat. Combine this with pretty aggressive GPU clocks, you get the picture

2) More of a reach but maybe Nintendo will allow for dynamic CPU clocks as well. Nintendo tells devs, "Ok we're giving you this much thermal dissipation, this is the overall max power draw, and these are the max clocks for the CPU and GPU. As long as you're at or below those limits, adjust clockspeed to best reach your performance and fidelity targets". Or at the very least, unlike Switch 1, have multiple CPU clock profiles.

Would like to hear others thoughts on multiple profiles for CPU clockspeed

50 minutes?? I find GVG to be pretty alright so hopefully they didn't feed their viewers "It's a portable Series S!". I'd be pretty disappointed if so.

edit: 10 minutes in. Not too bad... but they brought up the Capcom increasing the Switch's ram story lol.

They got some wild takes. 3gb OS??? Dock with expandable storage?? They don't seem to know about the MicroSD Express stuff.

Steve seems pretty convinced the OS will need to be big for social features like VC, messaging, etc. Imo, I don't see Nintendo adding those features in for awhile. It's a big safety hazard for children and, maybe this is just a personal anecdote, most people just use 3rd party apps to communicate anyway.

Ok honestly there's not much to this video at all. Watched it at 1.5x speed. I think I'm gonna make a forum post asking a question about a major part of this video tho.
I like GVG a lot, their content is awesome in general, but in their Switch 2 confirmation video, one of the two speakers explained that the Nintendo Switch was already dated hardware when it came out, which made me sigh very very loudly, unless of course a console comparable to the Switch already existed before 2017....

I don't know how hard it is to design a chip with a fairly consistent electricity to performance ratio from a 5W power draw to a 20W power draw, but it would be very helpful for a hybrid system.

Switch being outdated in early 2017 is some of the most revisionist shit ever. People were gushing over it back then

It reminds me of Sega comparing the Genesis to the NES
I'll be honest, Nintendo Switch underperformed for my expectations initially, but WAY exceeded my expectations in actual real world results in the end (Tears of the Kingdom, Alien Isolation, Nier Automata). It was a real mixed bag, but definitely as good as they could have ar the time.

This time my expectations are pretty similar, maybe that's a bad sign, because I'm expecting high performance but shoddy image quality in a lot of games, but what we could get is middling to low performance (for a home console) with great image quality. ¯⁠\⁠⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠⁠/⁠¯

How much is the OLED model now? From where I live, the OLED model cost around $250 when converted..
You're lucky. I live in Belgium and an Oled model goes for around 330 euros. I've seen the Mario Kart 8 bundle for 320 euros last black friday, but I already own the game and anticipated the Switch successor to release in 2024.

I will probably just wait for the latter device, especially if a new 3D Mario or Mario Kart releases alongside it. Though if I see an Oled for around 250 euros, that might be too tempting to resist.

I just finished watching a new episode of Delicious in Dungeon and marveled at both the imagination and logic of the author, who created a nightmare monster capable of rapidly aging people, and I hope that the next The Legend of Zelda will still see this type of imaginative as well as logical gameplay design.

Huh? I never said otherwise! As far as I'm aware, CMB, HGU and CKUI are Nintendo at play here, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not discounting the possibility of the two sets of codenames playing off each other.
Sorry, might have read it too fast and misunderstood your message, lol.

Just for fun and also because I was bored, I compiled a sumarized list of the past Nintendo consoles/portables codenames I could find, these are all according to their product names or devkits/SDKs, not necessarily hardware parts as I mentioned before. Also, some of those are arguably (logical) speculation since there's no major evidence for them.
  • Famicom/NES:
    • "Family Computer" / "Nintendo Entertainment System"
    • HVC product number = Home Video Computer
  • Game Boy:
    • DMG = Dot Matrix Game (regular/classic GB)
    • MGB = Mini Game Boy (Game Boy Pocket)
    • MGL = Mini Game Boy Light (Game Boy Light)
    • CGB = Color Game Boy (Game Boy Color)
    • AGB = Advanced Game Boy (Game Boy Advance)
    • AGS = Advanced Game Boy Special (GBA SP)
    • OXY = Oxygen (Game Boy Micro)
  • Super Famicom/SNES:
    • SHVC = Super Home Video Computer
    • SNS = Super Nintendo System
  • Virtual Boy:
    • VUE = Virtual Ultra-Eye or Virtual Utopia Experience
  • Nintendo 64:
    • aka Ultra 64 or project Reality
    • NUS = Nintendo Ultra Sixty-Four
  • GameCube:
    • DOL - Dolphin
    • There's also some mention to GCT (GameCube Tool? Devkit?) and GCP (?)
  • DS:
    • aka project Iris or Iris ensata (SDK) -- named after the japanese Iris flower
    • NTR = Nitro/Nitrogen (DS)
    • USG = Usugata (DS Lite) -- means 'thin' or 'slim' in Japanese
    • TWL = Twilight (DSi)
    • UTL = Ultra Twilight (DSi XL)
  • Wii:
    • RVL = Revolution
    • RVT = Revolution Tool (SDK)
  • 3DS:
    • CTR = Citrus (according to data minings) or Centrair (apparently there's a leaked email where they mention the Centrair busy airport perhaps as influence to the StreetPass function)
    • SPR = Super? (3DS XL)
    • FTR = Further (2DS)
    • KTR = Kontrolle (New 3DS)
    • RED = Infrared (New 3DS XL)
    • JAN = ? (New 2DS XL)
  • Wii U:
    • Cafe (SDK)
    • CAT/WUT = Cafe Tool / Wii U Tool (devkit)
    • WUP (Wii U Project)
    • DRH = Display Remote Host (GamePad communication chip on Wii U)
    • DRC = Display Remote Controller (Wii U GamePad
    • There's also mention to WIS (kisok unit)
  • Switch
    • aka project NX, previously named INDY (cancelled project)
    • HAC = Handheld and Console?
    • HAD = ? (Switch v2)
    • HDH = Handheld? (Lite)
    • HEG = ? (OLED)

This might have been better built on a Notion public page with sources and all 🤔... perhaps on a later date.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Much better CPU, higher RAM, faster storage (+FDE), bigger cache. GPU power might be a bit worse, might a bit better. And if Oldpuck‘s 25GB/s/teraflop math for Ampere is right, it also won’t be bandwidth starved at 4 teraflops.

Whatever, I‘m tired of that comparison. PS4 Pro is a 8th gen console, Switch 2 is a 9th gen handheld. Imo, Switch 2 will perform better in most cases, while PS4 Pro might be better in others. You probably won’t change your opinion anyway, so let’s just agree to disagree (until we have more data).
I keep reading and hearing everywhere else but here that the specs announced "wouldn't be a giant leap compared to current standards" and I find that astounding. What standards? Those of a portable console costing twice as much with half the autonomy? Those of today's home consoles, which have no portability to manage? Or no, I know, the PC standards that allow Switch games to be emulated before their release, to "preserve" them?

@Thraktor @LiC If it's really on 4N and the node is 'good enough' to get the power consumption and heat in portable mode under control, then why would they need a fan in docked mode unless they're going to clock this thing all the way up?

I don't think fans really tell us much about what node it would be on, without knowing what clock speeds they'll use. The same cooling could be required for an 8nm chip at modest clocks, or a 4nm chip at high clocks.

The whole fan-in-the-dock thing is a little weird to me, though. I don't think there's any sense in adding a second fan in the dock to provide extra cooling while docked. There's two scenarios in which that could be intended to work. The first is just blowing air against the console's case, which would likely be very ineffective.

The second is pushing air through a channel into the console, over the heatsink. This would result in something called a push-pull configuration, where one fan pushes air onto the heatsink from one side, and the other fan pulls air out. This is common enough in PC cooling setups, and was used by Nintendo on the Gamecube, but in those cases standard PC-style fans are used, where the airflow is all in one direction. Here we're talking about blower fans, which use centrifugal force to push air out at a right angle to the direction it's come in. I've never seen a push-pull setup using blower fans, and I don't think it would provide any benefit over a single fan design, because of the way blower fans work.

One possibility is that there's no fan in the console at all. If the system was efficient enough in portable mode to run without active cooling, then you could design it with a heatsink, and a channel through the console which allows air to flow over the heatsink. When docked, a fan in the dock could be designed in such a way to push air through that channel and over the heatsink. This would provide some benefit, as removing the fan from the console would cut down on size and weight. However, it would require the console to run passively in portable mode, which I think is unlikely even for 4nm, and the fan in the dock would be less efficient than one in the console, because air would escape between the dock and console.

If there are two fans, one in the console and one in the dock, then I think the simplest explanation is that they're meant for cooling different things. The one in the console would cool the console's hardware, and the one in the dock would cool the dock's hardware. Of course, that leads to the question of what would require cooling in the dock, as nothing in the current dock requires active cooling. Maybe some of the hardware changes have pushed the dock just over the edge to require active cooling (eg perhaps the new DisplayPort to HDMI converter generates more heat than the old now that it will be pushing more pixels). Or, perhaps there's something else in the dock that we're not aware of.

The word "Muji (無地)" means that the entire piece is the same color with no pattern. Turning from this, in Japan, some people take it to mean something flexible that can be changed (repainted) in any number of ways in the future.

It‘s a succesor, of course it‘ll. But that has nothing to do with new gimmicks and innovations (which most of the time add to an existing thing instead of starting from scratch at Nintendo).
Referencing Iwata’s quote when he spoke on drawing inspiration from Apple and Android before Switch came to fruition, I think Nintendo is gonna focus more on establishing Switch as a “platform” that can be experienced on any form of hardware they release, which in turn almost kind of gives them free reign to innovate and implement any gimmick they like knowing they don’t have to do a hard reset on the software front.

I’m not sure if this has been discussed yet, and it’s well out of my depth. But won’t Switch 2’s support for mesh shaders give it a pretty big leap in fidelity once it becomes a standard graphical feature in games?
Yeah, we're missing the trees for the forest in the whole "ignoring the mesh shaders for the teraflops" thing.

Last edited:
Jeez I wake up to this thread partying all night long with more new info.

(I know time zones are a thing but I also wouldn't be surprised if some North Americans here just don't sleep at night lol.)

This might have been better built on a Notion public page with sources and all 🤔... perhaps on a later date.
alternative could be a Github repo so community participants could create PRs for review process before it's merged into documentation. (not sure if community contributions is possible with Notion, not familiar with Notion myself)

Oh my God muji is a synonym for ecru hahahahahaha

ecru?

Feels like we’re heading into another rough patch today. Site traffic isn’t higher right now than it has been the past 10 hours or so, which means something about this window of the day is just really cumbersome for the server or host.

ODNX01-A2 was used in a Nintendo Switch EDEV devkit. So definitely not pre-production, but also not in retail hardware.
But that is a prototype, hence the motherboard label ODIN-CPU-X5 instead of HAC-CPU-01. Near-final prototypes often appear in Nintendo's FCC submissions. Final devkits use the same major boards and components as retail.

On that subject, an interesting insight is that Nvidia seems to have adopted Nintendo's "X" revision numbers for the packaged SoCs. I can't find any other Nvidia chips that have part numbers like ODNX02 or GMLX30 (while the "A" tapeout number is a standard Nvidia thing). Since there's been some discussion about exactly how major a change has to be to increment the major revision (first digit) -- in addition to what ZachyCatGames explained here, it's worth noting that are examples of Nintendo making changes where nothing significant to us as consumers changed at all, like from HAC-CPU-01 to HAC-CPU-10 to HAC-CPU-20.

The one example we have of it happening in Nvidia's SoC part number (ODNX02 -> ODNX10) was a huge change (ported to new node, as well as various tweaks) -- but that's the only example. So it's hard to say how major a change needs to be. It could be related to a breaking change or incompatibility with previous components, rather than what we might think of as actually "major."

Yeah, we're missing the trees for the forest in the while "ignoring the mesh shaders for the teraflops" thing.

Yeah, that’s been my thinking too. Especially if we’re talking about a system for the next decade, I’m sure mesh shading will also play a part in keeping the PS5 and XSX relevant for much longer than people think too.

The only thing is, my background isn’t graphics tech and Alan Wake 2 didn’t run amazingly on the current gen systems, so I’m not sure how much of a boost it’ll give the Switch 2.

This is all bad news to my preconceptions, but if you'd entertain me, do we currently have information indicating two different models of fan are going into producing the new system?

If I might cope, maybe we see a larger internal fan, rather than two separate ones?

I could see HOW a fan in the dock would would, theoretically, but it means all sorts of problems in my mind. No compatibility with Dock with LAN Port, limited or no third party Dock possibilities. Just a bunch of stuff I don't want to see.

Why WOULDN'T they just use one fan that ramps up like they have for years?

I like to believe as much we think we know, it's all surface level. And with that said, the next three months should be fun for all those that play the game of hiding in plain sight.

Last edited:
Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom