• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Honestly I think it’s 8nm. Things seem a bit too good right now and there definitely has to be a downside somewhere.
It's fair to be a bit suspicious, but I honestly don't see a world where Nintendo didn't deeply consider 4nm given everything else we know about this system thus far. I think Nintendo is legitimately trying to make this device a beast, so I'd at least wait before casting final judgement.
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

So my concern is, ps5 is from 2020 nov?
When switch 2 arrives the ps5 will be at least 4y old. The switch 2 has to have a lifespan of 7years starting from 2025.

With these specs will it still be strong enough after 3 years.
Knowing there will be a ps5 pro and Xbox series x pro and who knows a handheld from Sony and Xbox.

I don't know the details based on the specs but I read downscaled ps5 games and worries me.
Let me assure you, power does not matter but a balanced system does.

Looking at PS5 pro and XBX Pro and I am not even remotely excited for them as I am for the switch 2

When switch 2 arrives the ps5 will be at least 4y old. The switch 2 has to have a lifespan of 7years starting from 2025.

Knowing there will be a ps5 pro and Xbox series x pro and who knows a handheld from Sony and Xbox.

I don't know the details based on the specs but I read downscaled ps5 games and worries me.
Don't forget that even when PS6 is released there will be a few years of crossgen releases anyway. No chance with AAA budgets ballooning that Sony will have exclusive PS6 games any time soon after release of the system.

Unpopular opinion: I still haven't played anything on PS5 that wouldn't run on Switch by lowering stuff enough.

Likewise, i've run a PC with severely hampered specs, compared to my current one and games like Cyberpunk, AC Valhalla among other powerhouses ran unexpectedly well if you were wise with the graphic options, including DLSS

I don't mean to sound like a fanboy, but the difference wont be as stark this time as it was with the Switch vs PS4Xbox. It will be fine.

Don't forget that even when PS6 is released there will be a few years of crossgen releases anyway. No chance with AAA budgets ballooning that Sony will have exclusive PS6 games any time soon after release of the system.
We're hardly seeing "next gen" titles even 4 years in. It honestly feels like the only reason why some games aren't on previous generation consoles are because of exclusivity, the SSD or because they couldn't be arsed. Titles like Alan Wake 2 and Hellblade 2 feel rare as a result and it honestly kinda sucks. If Nintendo can run 9th gen games for now, then Nintendo is basically fine until they need to release a sequel console in around a decade. And even then, it doesn't really matter. If Nintendo can allow a lot of wiggle room for third parties to make their visions on the device, there's not a lot of reason to remain exclusive to PS5, PC and Xbox anymore. It's a really big boon for this device to have.

thanks to all of you for the amazing work on the shipment data. 12 gb was always the safest bet.
Is lpddr5x power hungrier than lpddr5?

I know third-party AAA support is cool and all, but all these specs make me think about is how good games like Mario and Zelda are going to look. And how Pokémon might finally look like a GameCube game.

Unpopular opinion: I still haven't played anything on PS5 that wouldn't run on Switch by lowering stuff enough.

Likewise, i've run a PC with severely hampered specs, compared to my current one and games like Cyberpunk, AC Valhalla among other powerhouses ran unexpectedly well if you were wise with the graphic options, including DLSS

I don't mean to sound like a fanboy, but the difference wont be as stark this time as it was with the Switch vs PS4Xbox. It will be fine.
I mean, Nintendo just won the "best technology" award on a tablet soc from 2015. First party software on this thing, will be impressive next to anything on competing platforms.

I know third-party AAA support is cool and all, but all these specs make me think about is how good games like Mario and Zelda are going to look. And how Pokémon might finally look like a GameCube game.
Every Nintendo franchise will take a major step up, not only the big ones like Mario, Zelda and Pokemon but also series like Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Kirby, Metroid etc.

On the higher end of predictions for T239, it seems you might fall juuuuuuuuuuuust a bit short, with only getting 4k/30 fps.

...natively, that is. If you don't mind some dlss, then yes, you'll get a 4k/60 fps TotK no problem.
Of course, I thought about using DLSS. I don't have a PC and have only seen comparison videos of native 4K resolution and 1080p to 4K DLSS on YouTube. I know that's not the best comparison, but I could hardly see any difference. So I wouldn't have a problem with DLSS. The frame rate is much more important to me here.

8nm was always seen as very unlikely (actually impossible) for a console that people assumed it would be basically the OLED case with next-gen internals, repeating the same (v1) TDP.

With an ROG Ally size (even if it kept the switch thickness), 8nm became very possible IMO. If we end up getting it, I'm expecting ~522MHz / 1.7GHz as the best (and very possible) scenario for handheld (which is great IMO) with a system TDP (the whole thing) of 13~15W.

Of course, the 4N dream is still living in my heart till the end.

8nm was always seen as very unlikely (actually impossible) for a console that people assumed it would be basically the OLED case with next-gen internals, repeating the same (v1) TDP.

With an ROG Ally size (even if it kept the switch thickness), 8nm became very possible IMO. If we end up getting it, I'm expecting ~522MHz / 1.7GHz as the best (and very possible) scenario for handheld (which is great IMO) with a system TDP (the whole thing) of 13~15W.

You have the keep in mind that the major reason is due to the joycons being noticeably larger than the ones that the switch has, the main body doesn’t seem to increase that much.

all of these infos are really positive and like you 4 or 5nm are more than a possibility 🙌🏼

On the higher end of predictions for T239, it seems you might fall juuuuuuuuuuuust a bit short, with only getting 4k/30 fps.

...natively, that is. If you don't mind some dlss, then yes, you'll get a 4k/60 fps TotK no problem.
That's not really how DLSS works. It doesn't scale the difference between native and output, it creates an output image from the available information. Frametime scales only with output resolution. So it all depends on how long it takes to scale an image to 4K on Drake, for how viable it will be on 4k 60fps.

I could see cases where native 4k is cheaper than DLSS 4K.

@Skittzo please confirm
I can confirm.

Also I can confirm it randomly turns on and plays Super Mario Wonder music.

Also I can confirm I didn't realize it was the OLED model until you just posted that.

Also I can confirm I've been away from this thread way too long.

Every Nintendo franchise will take a major step up, not only the big ones like Mario, Zelda and Pokemon but also series like Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Kirby, Metroid etc.
For sure, all very exciting stuff. Mario and Zelda are just the obvious ones to mention for me. Mario Kart and Odyssey already look amazing to me, I wonder what they can do with this kind of power. Other franchises (Kirby aside), leave a little less to the imagination imo, because I kinda of just envision them looking better, not necessarily different. I'm not sure if this makes any sense, but many of these franchises like FE, Xenoblade, or Metroid already feel like they have a more sort of realistic style, so I don't expect anything to be surprising per se in terms of how a new game looks. A series like Mario or Kirby feels like they might play around with visual styles a bit more. Again, this might not make any sense to anyone else lol

From a Visuals perespective: there is only so far you can downscale them before the engine starts to break, where you'll need to rewrite parts of it.
But sure, visuals nm.

Gameplay? probably for many of them, if not most. Would need a loooot of optimization thou...

Animations/objects: here were just hitting a limit. Downsizing means removing them, to free up cpu and ram.
Thats a lot of manual labor in restructuring the game.

So if you mean: "just" porting them should work: its probably not worth the work in some cases.
Having the same gameplay as a demake with a lot of the work? That seems more feasable, would be fun to relive the time of "demakes".
As it stands, with switch 2 on the horizon, it just seems more reasonable to wait it out and simply port them.

Will there be games that wont be possible to port to switch 2? honestly, i doubt it, outside of extreme es,
because that would mean there needs to be a lot of complexity in the gameplay that taxes the cpu a lot.
Yeah, thats mostly my motivation for switch 2. A jump for nintendos artstyle since i Wii U.

But it's close to 5x more bandwidth, 25GB/s to 120GB/s plus Switch 2 have secret sauce
Yeah... but jumping from 900p switch (average) to 4k native would be a 5x increase... 4k takes a ton of ram. with other aspects also needing more ram, it does not seem oversized imho, if they do want to expand on os features and not keep it as tiny as switches. (thinking of longer clips or native streaming, game suspension,...)

but if they decide against all other features , then i see a huge jump. and if they have their games release in 1440@60, then there are more then plenty of resourcees to make first party output rival XBox Games not just in artstyle but also in fidelity.

And how Pokémon might finally look like a GameCube game.
They already look better than any GC game

Uyewhip.jpeg

That's not really how DLSS works. It doesn't scale the difference between native and output, it creates an output image from the available information. Frametime scales only with output resolution. So it all depends on how long it takes to scale an image to 4K on Drake, for how viable it will be on 4k 60fps.

I could see cases where native 4k is cheaper than DLSS 4K.

Oh. I was just going by what we heard from the Gamescom demo.

Uyewhip.jpeg
i mean i get what you mean... but it can also be interpreted pretty ironic that on a small screen my first reaction was 2the second has less muddy textures" ...

(imho the artstyle was a step back from legends, cause that one hid the technical problems better)

Oh. I was just going by what we heard from the Gamescom demo.

Since it was only reported by Nate, and as far as we know not based on a quote from Nintendo Im taking the 4K claim with some salt.

It would be extremely hard to tell at some distance, during a showroom setting. If one guys (or girls) eyesight is all were going by, then thats not reliable.

Uyewhip.jpeg
NoOOOOoOO you can't say that Pokémon games looks "ok" noOoOoooOOOO

Really, the problems with SV are framerate and the inconsistent artstyle. For a game being developed alongside Arceus, first open world ever for GF and during Covid, it's just ok

I've been very busy all day I haven't been able to check this thread. Can you please give me the original post that confirms 16GB?

Its 12 and here you go.

I don't have time to compile the details, but, from the shipment listings:

The console has 12 GB RAM, from two 6 GB 7500 MT/s LPDDR5 (LPDDR5X? it's unclear) modules. The internal storage is 256 GB of UFS 3.1.

Thank you to several other people who have been sharing in the research on these listings to determine this.

Edit: I put this in hide tags without thinking because it's shipment stuff, but this is going to get out no matter what, so I might as well remove them.

Last edited:

Uyewhip.jpeg
Of course, I was being a bit facetious. But those games don't look nearly as different as the 16-year gap would have you expect, even if one is a handheld game.
i mean i get what you mean... but it can also be interpreted pretty ironic that on a small screen my first reaction was 2the second has less muddy textures" ...

(imho the artstyle was a step back from legends, cause that one hid the technical problems better)
Agree with the legends bit for sure. That's still my favorite Pokémon game. Though the full-quality character models in S/V are amazing.

You have the keep in mind that the major reason is due to the joycons being noticeably larger than the ones that the switch has, the main body doesn’t seem to increase that much.

True. And for not having detachable controllers, the Ally has better space utilization (for the battery). But it also seems to me that these x86 handhelds have bigger motherboards, so I don't know.
If the size we got is right, the tablet would be 33 mm wider and 13 mm taller than my V1. If the thickness is the same, I'm not sure if the battery could be big enough to delivery something like 45W/h.

Well, will this suffering ever end (allow me to be a bit dramatic)

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Ninspider popped into the thread and posted in hide tags stuff about magnetic joycon that this thread had already found in customs data a while back, and "rounder" joycons which a factory uncle had already shared (that was also posted here). And also the addition of something about there being more buttons on the controllers. People started using a messianic term to refer to them and then they dipped, saying they wouldn't share any more until the announcement. Then a week or so later the announcement occurred and people took that to mean ninspider knew the announcement was landing soon and is thus a new legit insider. And I remain baffled by how a user sharing info that was (mostly) already in this thread makes them both an insider and a messiah. 😅

Yes - example of earlier magnet discussions:

Since there's not many comments from the account, I'll share the claims here (putting in HIDE because those were)

Yeah, those claims have yet to be confirmed. It might be possible ninspider was saying "magnets" independently of earlier discussion, thus validating our earlier magnet discovery? I don't know if ninspider was necessarily saying "magnets" because he saw discussion of magnets here in the past?

Last edited:
Well, now I have my theory set: they"LL continue to sell switch1 and switch2 will be Back to LCD, since I don't see * Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
for a comfortable <400 price from Nintendo.

4-450€ is where I see it happening, and that means at least for the first year they need to keep selling switches.

I mean it's kinda obvious they will keep selling Switch 1 for the first 2 years of the next gen (and yes still release games on both consoles simultaneously!)

Who ever thought they would retire the Switch 1 on Switch 2 launch ?

Today I find myself thinking about the new joycons and if they could be as good or better in my hands than the pro controller.
As much as I love my pro I don’t wanna have to shell out for two of them like I had to with OG Switch.

Although ram and rom are more wonderful than expected
I'm a little disappointed that the gpu is ampere
ampere does not support frame generation, right?
Ampere has been known for years.

It's true it doesn't support frame gen, but it likely woudnt have been particularly useful anyway. Its only good at very high framerates.

Just a quick note: in the grim landscape of video games right now, this threads is giving me such joy! Thanks for all the info and the enthusiasm surrounding it!

Can’t wait for the final console to be revealed!

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom