• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Doesn't Activision not having specs almost eliminate a 2023 launch as a possibility?
It's possible to say Activision isn't a close partner so isn't trusted with early access, but we're also discussing the possibility (and in my opinion high likelihood) that Nintendo would send out dev kits to 3rd parties that completely lacked any new features other than the new specs, to prevent leaks.

Activision may not be the biggest Nintendo supporter, but they have put out Crash and Spyro and probably a few other games on Switch, and they are one of the biggest publishers in the business. Surely they would get specs, and at least new-controller-less-and-new-feature-less dev kits 6 months before launch right?

In my mind, this pretty much completely wipes out 2023 as a possibility, and unless Activision receives their shipment today, it also wipes out a Q1/Q2 launch as well. Would love to hear counter arguments, I'm all ears to hear what I might have failed to consider 🙂
i believe the reason Nintendo has not given Activision Blizzard a dev kit for Switch sucessor, is because of the FTC trial, Nintendo problaby want all to be garantee, Microsoft has bought Activision Blizzard with no negative repucarsion, before giving them a Switch sucessor dev kit.

Not sure if it's relevant in terms of NSO (and whatever the online service for Redacted gets called), but Nintendo is planning on cutting back on support for Super Mario Run this fall. Screenshot from my iphone:
IMG_8067.png

Not sure if it's relevant in terms of NSO (and whatever the online service for Redacted gets called), but Nintendo is planning on cutting back on support for Super Mario Run this fall. Screenshot from my iphone:
IMG_8067.png
I think this is to warn peoples to get newer phones before said update, if they still want to play.

Really depends on the leaks. Before the Dev Kits gets released, companies get a heads up to prepare for a more powerful system, and to our info this happened in late summer of 2020. Considering current development processes, this would logically happen 3 years in advance, as current AA/AAA games have a 4-5 year development process - so the game is still in early development. Thanks to Covid, we can expect the successor was delayed by one year.
Early Devkits gets usually only sent out to First Party and trustworthy partners. Here it is unlikely leaks are happening and if, basically it is very easy for Big N Ninjas to track the culprit down. The current rumors e.g. are coming from Spain and Spain does not have many game developer who would be considered having a good partnership with Nintendo, so if true, it is most likely MercurySteam. I doubt Ninjas will be unleashed already for the currently leaked information, but wouldn't wonder, if the boss of MercurySteam got a call and also reminded his employees, how important the partnership for them is. Anyway, we can assume that they are/were on the trusted partner list, so get the console quite early. But we also know, that Nintendo is on the Gamescom (no surprise imo), but ALSO on the TGS and only in the Business area. As Nintendo notoriously skipping TGS, it is highly likely, that they are presenting there the final DevKit to Third Parties to attract them. If the Architecture is relatively similar to the Switch and/or the Toolkits are easy to handle, developer who planned well, can finish their game within one year. So yes, Late 2024 release is realistic to me.
the studio that has leaked the devkits is not mercury.

Please, let's stop spreading that incorrect detail as if it were the absolute truth.

Weeks? That's crazy is there a case where that has happened before?
The Verge's article seems to imply Microsoft sent final devkits for the Xbox Series X|S weeks before mass manufacturing the Xbox Series X|S.

Microsoft only allowed developers to submit games for Xbox Series X certification in June, after delivering an update to its Game Developers Kit (GDK). That followed the company's rather tight schedule for dev kit allocations, all while I've been consistently hearing that many developers had access to PS5 dev kits far in advance of Xbox versions.

Microsoft also hasn't explained why it waited for full RDNA 2 support from AMD for the Xbox Series X. Xbox chief Phil Spencer revealed to The Verge recently that Microsoft started manufacturing consoles in late summer. "We were a little bit later than the competition, because we were waiting for some specific AMD technology in our chip," says Spencer.

I’m convinced they’re a psy-op by Team 2024 to delegitimize the 2023 crew.
Or a berserker ninja sent by Nintendo to destabilise Famiboards 😜

I might get heat for this, but there's nothing that really confirms one way or the other. At least, not right now.
True, there may be no clear cut, unambiguous confirmations, but there's a build up of indications pointing past this year for a new model. Still, you've got a week and a bit for Nintendo to catch us all out a spring a surprise 🙀

The current rumors e.g. are coming from Spain and Spain does not have many game developer who would be considered having a good partnership with Nintendo, so if true, it is most likely MercurySteam
I thought the more recent rumours pointing at [RedactedCity] meant we were looking at the many other Spanish developers. So it could be dev kits are now with developers less close to Nintendo
Edit: just seen @Ojoloco's reply ahead of mine

First dev kits? Years and years. Three or four.

Final dev kits? Months, maybe even weeks.
I don't think this is quite correct, at least based on what I've seen in the past from the 3 hardware makers. Looking at Sony for example, it seems like it's a roughly 2 year process from early kits, to refined kits, to final kits. With the latter happening sometime prior to retail production starting. Nintendo seems to be on a somewhat similar schedule, but with less pubs/devs involved in the early stages. In between, before, and around all of, that devs are just working to target specs in a PC environment.

Doesn't Activision not having specs almost eliminate a 2023 launch as a possibility?
It's possible to say Activision isn't a close partner so isn't trusted with early access, but we're also discussing the possibility (and in my opinion high likelihood) that Nintendo would send out dev kits to 3rd parties that completely lacked any new features other than the new specs, to prevent leaks.

Activision may not be the biggest Nintendo supporter, but they have put out Crash and Spyro and probably a few other games on Switch, and they are one of the biggest publishers in the business. Surely they would get specs, and at least new-controller-less-and-new-feature-less dev kits 6 months before launch right?

In my mind, this pretty much completely wipes out 2023 as a possibility, and unless Activision receives their shipment today, it also wipes out a Q1/Q2 launch as well. Would love to hear counter arguments, I'm all ears to hear what I might have failed to consider 🙂
2023 should be eliminated regardless, but AB is in the unique scenario of being acquired by a competitor, so it's reasonable to think that would delay or exclude them from Nintendo's next gen plans. Regardless of whether AB/MS intend to release games on the Switch, Nintendo would have little interest in fully tipping their hand to MS at this stage if they can avoid it.

IMG_8067.png
Isn't this just to make the game forward compatible with the upcoming iOS17?

IMG_8067.png
I think it read it the opposite way as you. If they were cutting back on support, it'd probably just continue running on whatever it runs on now. But there are enough ongoing changes that requirements are changing.

do you folks see nintendo sticking to sd cards for expandable storage, or will they go with something like the steam deck? expanding storage via opening up the back seems very un-nintendo like

What prevents Nintendo (or any other manufacturer) to have an accesible M.2 SSD slot (without the need of opening up the whole back cover)?

For example, keep it in the same position as the current microSD slot (covered by the kickstand). But instead of sliding a microSD, you slide an M.2 SSD.

Not sure if it's been posted, but Nintendo Systems (Nintendo eShop, accounts, NSO) is beginning to hire. This is days after the President of the company mentioned moving towards a clean transition with Nintendo Account.
To back you up on this, here's a tweet about it

Google translation:
Nintendo Systems Co., Ltd. plans, develops, and operates Nintendo's network services, systems, and new services. We will start recruiting careers for various jobs related to services such as Nintendo Account and Nintendo eShop. If you are interested, please apply.
DeepL translation:
Nintendo Systems, Inc. is engaged in the planning, development, and operation of Nintendo's network services and systems and new services. We are now hiring for various career positions related to services such as Nintendo Account and Nintendo eShop. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply.

This is actually significant since it would point to a Western 3rd party studio having a devkit. We initially thought of a studio with closer ties to Nintendo than that.

The inner circle is wider than anticipated, announcement could therefore be closer than we thought.
I wonder if Ubi Barcelona, a mobile developer, is in possession of a devkit.

That's relatively normal for finalised kits. Stuff like memory and minimum storage can change until the 11th hour. Even frequencies can change leading up to launch.
Devkits typically have more storage and more memory so all those 3 examples can potentially be adjusted with a firmware update.

Isn't this because the SSDs in the Deck are bottlenecked?
probably, but it won't be as bottlenecked as Drake would be. there's also a chance newer games uses storage better and could push ssds better.

I wonder if Ubi Barcelona, a mobile developer, is in possession of a devkit.
I'm choosing to believe it's Gameloft Barcelona. just because it's funny and they have a game that would be quickly updated for drake upon launch

Nah. They should not (but they probably will).

A 1TB M.2 SSD is cheaper than a microSD of the same capacity, but faster.

How would such a thing fit into a Switch? Not to mention how it might be extended by the consumer? They sure as hell aren’t going to ask owners to crack open the system.

Weeks before mass manufacturing isn't the same as weeks before release, however.

Switch Lite devkits didn't go out to most until Nintendo officially announced the Lite. And ADEV kits didn't go out until OLED was announced. Neither of these devkits were needed for anything, specifically; thus, no rush to distribute.

Also, Xbox told partners to use Xbox One X devkits as stand-in devkits until they could deliver Series X|S kits & many did have kits long before mass manufacturing began but it was a very select group. COVID hurt them on this front a bit.

Typically, key partners will have a devkit for about a yr ahead of launch. Others will get access closer to launch or after launch due to limited devkit supply and being a low priority.

Last edited:
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Weeks before mass manufacturing isn't the same as weeks before release, however.

Switch Lite devkits didn't go out to most until Nintendo officially announced the Lite. And ADEV kits didn't go out until OLED was announced. Neither of these devkits were needed for anything, specifically; thus, no rush to distribute.

Also, Xbox told partners to use Xbox One X devkits as stand-in devkits until they could deliver Series X|S kits & many did have kits long before mass manufacturing began.

Typically, key partners will have a devkit for about a yr ahead of launch. Others will get access closer to launch or after launch due to limited devkit supply and being a low priority.

And even not having the told final devkit, it's common that some partners share under frieNDA specs to help the development of a bunch of games until Nintendo allow them to receive the hardware to polish the software

And even not having the told final devkit, it's common that some partners share under frieNDA specs to help the development of a bunch of games until Nintendo allow them to receive the hardware to polish the software
Yes. Some will use low-spec PCs with "expected" spec targets to get some base work done in preparation for kit arrival.

Also, Xbox told partners to use Xbox One X devkits as stand-in devkits until they could deliver Series X|S kits & many did have kits long before mass manufacturing began but it was a very select group. COVID hurt them on this front a bit.

I assume you just mean Mariko devkits, because why would there exist separate lite devkits?

What prevents Nintendo (or any other manufacturer) to have an accesible M.2 SSD slot (without the need of opening up the whole back cover)?

For example, keep it in the same position as the current microSD slot (covered by the kickstand). But instead of sliding a microSD, you slide an M.2 SSD.
don’t SSDs run super hot in comparison? so cooling would be a big issue

They're not really meant to be left exposed. The plastic shell on most memory cards is there for a reason.

Guest Stars showing up today!
Nate Drake annd…Nintendo Prime! Kudos to adding that know it all smart mouth kid mid season. He’s comedy gold.
Greatest reality show I’ve ever watched is this thread. This season’s been great. Keep up the work guys 🤗
But seriously, the last 48 hrs has been exciting in this thread and abroad. Nintendo is out of time. The announcement is nigh.

Guest Stars showing up today!
Nate Drake annd…Nintendo Prime! Kudos to adding that know it all smart mouth kid mid season. He’s comedy gold.
Greatest reality show I’ve ever watched is this thread. This season’s been great. Keep up the work guys 🤗
But seriously, the last 48 hrs has been exciting in this thread and abroad. Nintendo is out of time. The announcement is nigh.
Nintendo Prime just got permed from what I saw

A fast M.2 SSD needs 2 things for optimal operation: a direct connection to the motherboard and a heatsink. If you put an M.2 slot where the SD reader is, that's not on the motherboard. You either lose speed or have to redesign everything to fit the M.2 slot. Then size becomes your issue. SD cards and readers are flat. SSD's are bigger in every dimension, and that's not even accounting for a heat sink which would double the thickness. It's not impossible, just tricky.

An M.2 SSD isn't as easy as a microSD to install either. You have to slot it into place at an angle, then lie it flat on the motherboard. If they make installation user friendly with that whole slot open under the kickstand, you're exposing your motherboard to dust every time you open it.

Just saying, thank god NintendoPrime was finally banned from famiboards. He absolutely knew what he was doing by sharing hidden content.

Oh well!

Fami's official rule on hidden content, for reference:

Through the use of HIDE tags, members of the community can limit the viewing of the content they post to fellow Famiboards members. Not all hidden content needs to be hidden, and good judgement is expected to be used when determining which content goes behind HIDE tags. Hidden content is generally expected to remain hidden, and members are subject to moderation if found to have shared hidden content by other members outside of Famiboards. These scenarios are to be evaluated by moderators on a case-by-case basis, with the bottom line being that the sharing of sensitive hidden content outside the site is discouraged.

"...and this is registered content that's only available for registered users, so.... thankfully for you guys, I am a registered user"

Lol bye.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom