• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

With that said, Nintendo has rebranded a line while keeping compatibility before; Nintendo DS.
They still called it 3DS. They didn't change the DS name at all.

It was also pretty much the DS3. DS -> DSi -> 3DS.

It just happened to also have the 3D functionality so it made for clever word play.

Calling the Switch 2 the Attach is completely changing the branding and it doesn't make sense.

It just happened to also have the 3D functionality so it made for clever word play.

Calling the Switch 2 the Attach is completely changing the branding and it doesn't make sense.
Pretty sure Concernt meant GBA to DS.

But then again, the name was related to the new concept of 2 screens. If there is no new concept this time, 2 is a good name.

Virtual Boy
3DS
Labo VR

Sure, you can say that Stereoscopic 3D or VR didn't had that much of an audience, but Nintendo still went through with this. Sure the Virtual Boy was a flop, and the 3D of 3DS wasn't much used by the playerbase iirc, they still went with Switch and Labo to some sort of VR goggles. Heck outside of those, and maybe developed by Namco, there was even an exclusive Mario Kart Arcade GP VR, and the gamecube had planned a cancelled LCD screen that had 3D capabilities for games like Luigi's Mansion.

And I still believe Nintendo wants to go through with the idea of 3D gaming.
I just want to grab back my previous post earlier today, and with what Nintendo had been doing through the years with 3D imaging, I do can see they'll make actual VR headset or maybe a Stereoscopic 3D Headset like my concept. I can be totally wrong ofcourse, due to there is a small fanbase for it, but Nintendo did experimented with it many times. Although I believe VR is prolly something what most of the fanbase isn't much fond of, as of hopes of new gimmicks and the like, Nintendo most of the time is all about great gameplay, and I do think Nintendo can make a good effort with VR actually.

Whether it be just the plain simple Stereoscopic 3D Headset, or a fully VR Headset, it is really what I like to see actually.

Just with what been reported about a new front button, gives me a bit of hope for this.
What if that new front button would be used to stream the gameplay into 3D or VR Headset. Like I mentioned in my concept, only with just the press of a button. 👀
image.png

image.png

Wouldn't the Gameboy also count with keeping the branding.

Gameboy-Gameboy color- Gameboy advance.

The reason Nintendo didn't call the DS something similar to the Gameboy is most because of the PSP, the only way i can see Nintendo change the Switch brand is if Sony or Microsoft Invest heavily on the hybrid concept. Which seems unlikely because the cost of game development.

Like the Switch Connect, Super Nintendo Switch or Switch 2 are the most likely candidate to be the main name, since all of these has a nice ring to it.

Like Switch Connect can play with being connected with the family and friends and magnets
Switch 2, despite being the most corporate, is easy and will follow Sony's footstep
Super Nintendo Switch is my personal fav, because it reference the SNES and might try to market the Switch 2 as the second coming to christ, just like the SNES and showcases that this time the transitioning of console will be a huge leap, just like the NES-SNES.

A ps5 resembles a ps4 pro. A series X resembles a One X Pro.
Not really, no. We had the Pro and had the One X. And the PS5 and XSX are much better than them.

I hope Switch 2 isn't conservative and more like Nextgen PS5 and XSX. I didn't wait 8 years for a conservative pro version.

Not really, no. We had the Pro and had the One X. And the PS5 and XSX are much better than them.

I hope Switch 2 isn't conservative and more like Nextgen PS5 and XSX. I didn't wait 8 years for a conservative pro version.
They mean conservative conceptually compared to previous Nintendo gens where there was something radically new. This info says nothing about specs under the hood. We have the Nvidia leak for that.

Wait I missed that Mobapad said this in the edited version of the post

Could this be more evidence for a mention around May 7th? (assuming this leak has any credibility)

Source for post since it was deleted: r/GL&R
The whole thing just kind of doesn't make sense no matter how you slice it. There's almost no way I can see Mobapad's post having been informed by official Nintendo info as they claimed. It has to be informed by rumored or leaked info (real or not). And if that's the case, then the fact that this got posted and retracted as well as the mention of early May, all smack to me like their social media person is someone who already follows Nintendo rumors and ineptly posted some of them as a marketing ploy.

The mention of May in particular makes more sense if they're trading in rumors/leaks (again, real or not), because Nintendo would have no reason to tell an accessory manufacturer about announcement plans for a console, since it's just not something they need to know, and it would definitely leak.

New buttons locations:

1GeE0h2.png

RYmk4L7.png
can we brainstorm what the extra front button beneath home would be used for?

i dont think its a longer video capture or streaming button since nintendo could follow ps5's implementation for longer captures/streaming which is pretty straightforward

maybe a button to open a friends sidebar? maybe a button to bring up a new sub menu with extra options?

can we brainstorm what the extra front button beneath home would be used for?

i dont think its a longer video capture or streaming buttons since nintendo could follow ps5's implementation for longer captures/streaming which is pretty straightforward

maybe a button to open a friends sidebar? maybe a button to bring up a new sub menu with extra options?
Button near the Home screen is something related Mii Verse (cope i know)

And the button behind the controller is some weird scroll wheel... like Something similar to the stemadeck pad, but small

Was there any mention of the name "Attach" on leaks or we're just assuming based on joy cons being attached with electromagnetism?

Switch also attaches and detaches the joy cons so I don't think it's gonna be "unique" or a game changer to the point of being the name. It'll most likely work the same way even, but maybe instead of the marketing for the "tick!" of the Switch logo being sliding ⬆️⬇️ it'll be getting closer or nearer ➡️⬅️.

I think it's good news all around, confirmation on backwards compatibility, controllers being compatible too, 1080p and 8"(tho in my head it's too big since I'm used to the 6,2" of the V2).

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Was there any mention of the name "Attach" on leaks or we're just assuming based on joy cons being attached with electromagnetism?

Switch also attaches and detaches the joy cons so I don't think it's gonna be "unique" or a game changer to the point of being the name. It'll most likely work the same way even, but maybe instead of the marketing for the "tick!" of the Switch logo being sliding ⬆️⬇️ it'll be getting closer or nearer ➡️⬅️.

I think it's good news all around, confirmation on backwards compatibility, controllers being compatible too, 1080p and 8"(tho in my head it's too big since I'm used to the 6,2" of the V2).

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
[/HIDE]
Attach was an option in a survey a while back, using it as evidence for that being the name is far fetched to say the least.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Well, if you sold me on anything, it's that the name can be something out of left field if it clearly communicates the new concept in a compelling way.

But nobody would have thought of "attach" if it wasn't in that survey, and the makers of that survey most definitely didn't know the name. So I would say the chance for that specific name, is still almost zero.
Oh yeah that name, yes

speculating on Nintendo hardware is and always has been the most fun since it’s impossible to know what kind of quirky surprises they will bring. A new Xbox or PlayStation is basically just ‘yeah it’s a new chip that is kind of, almost a mid-range pc in your living room for cheap’. Then Nintendo is over in the corner with magnets and god knows what

Nintendo Switch — Fully Upgraded Console + Kickstand Model

Nintendo Switch — Performance Improved w/ Super Sampling Model

Imagine if after Chevrolet made the iconic Corvette they decided to make another small sporty muscle car but instead of calling it the Camaro they called it "Corvette 2"

Or instead of the Toyota Supra we got the Toyota Celica 2

Or instead of the Honda Integra we got the Honda Civic 2

Matter of fact the only time I remember an automaker doing that was with the Mustang 2 and everyone hated it 😅

speculating on Nintendo hardware is and always has been the most fun since it’s impossible to know what kind of quirky surprises they will bring. A new Xbox or PlayStation is basically just ‘yeah it’s a new chip that is kind of, almost a mid-range pc in your living room for cheap’. Then Nintendo is over in the corner with magnets and god knows what
Even the PS5 Pro isn't has much talked about since, it's pretty much a machine that has better Ray Tracing and a 10% CPU increase.

Like Nintendo Hardware Speculation is hella fun, since their ideas are so obscure and neat.

114294-switch-nso-n64-controller-front-view-angle-1200x675
1200px-Wii-console.jpg
800px-Wii_U_Console_and_Gamepad.png
51Gz7IimgoL.jpg
images
Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-SP-Pokemon-Pikachu-with-AC

I've been contemplating this all morning, and I've settled on the Nintendo Swap. The marketing works exactly like you said: the joycons fly in from the left and right and make a magnetic "click" to distinguish it from the Switch.

Since the Switch launched, Miyamoto and Shinya Takahashi have mentioned a goal of improving the standard controller beyond its current format.

Taking these magnets at face value, I find it hard to believe Nintendo would just put magnets on the system when the rails already work fine. Adding magnets only makes sense if it solves a problem.

My shot-in-the-dark speculation is Nintendo’s approach to improving controllers is making a bunch of different swappable joycons. Playing Street Fighter? Here's a joycon with 6 face buttons. Playing F-Zero? Swap to a joycon with analog triggers. The trailer writes itself.

I only care that the name of the successor successfully conveys to consumers that it's the next generation system. The system will gain its identity from its games.

Wouldn't the Gameboy also count with keeping the branding.

Gameboy-Gameboy color- Gameboy advance.

The reason Nintendo didn't call the DS something similar to the Gameboy is most because of the PSP, the only way i can see Nintendo change the Switch brand is if Sony or Microsoft Invest heavily on the hybrid concept. Which seems unlikely because the cost of game development.

Like the Switch Connect, Super Nintendo Switch or Switch 2 are the most likely candidate to be the main name, since all of these has a nice ring to it.

Like Switch Connect can play with being connected with the family and friends and magnets
Switch 2, despite being the most corporate, is easy and will follow Sony's footstep
Super Nintendo Switch is my personal fav, because it reference the SNES and might try to market the Switch 2 as the second coming to christ, just like the SNES and showcases that this time the transitioning of console will be a huge leap, just like the NES-SNES.
Switch Connect is still weird because it's two words.

Nintendo Switch Connect.

That's a long name for a console.

It is but I guess I am not hyped because the best we get is "We'll talk next gen in June" or at worst - "We have no plans to discuss hardware at this time".

Before the June meeting, We get reveals that get discussed at the meeting. Typical E3 cadence. Nintendo is MUCH more willing to divulge interesting details at the June meeting. Plus...

We can tell Furukawa how we don't like the customization settings in Splatoon 3 and ask him where the hell F-Zero is lol

Edit: If I go, My question would be "Explain to me why this cycle is different than the Wii -> Wii-U cycle? Nintendo seems hesitant to move to the next generation which may directly or indirectly hurt the potentional of the next system"
I'm not sure this tracks.. Since when do Nintendo hype up any hardware during their IR meetings?

What you said - not hyped up - is exactly what I'm expecting out of May meeting (assuming Nintendo decides to say anything about Switch 2 at all). A simple, mundane mention "We are releasing new hardware at tail end of this fiscal year, so the new FY forecast reflects that", nothing more.

Then that's it. Any hyping up will be done outside IR meetings - like the October 2016 announcement and January 2017 full reveal.

Unless there was a precedent for Nintendo going into details for upcoming hardware in one of their IR meetings in the past? If so I was not aware they have done that in the past. I have largely only familiarized myself with Nintendo IR meetings in general starting with Switch cycle, so I might be missing past context/precedent.

If it’s magnetic the iconic intro of every game with the joycon sliding down and making the click sound won’t exist anymore and it may be different

Oh lord lol that’s my favourite intro of all time lol

First world problems haha

Last edited:
If it’s magnetic the iconic intro of every game with the joy on sliding down and making the click sound won’t exist anymore and it may be different

I mean they are other ways to do variants of the commercial & who is to say that it still doesn’t slide into the machine. They could even keep it if they so choose even if what the machine does is different for controller connection.

If it’s magnetic the iconic intro of every game with the joy on sliding down and making the click sound won’t exist anymore and it may be different

Or, if the controllers attach horizontally, then the animation could be similar but with a horizontal click, like people have been suggesting, and then if this is really the Switch 2, after the first click it could do a little bounce and a second, vertical click like the current animation has. Click-clack! Switch–Two!

Assuming they are not just additional mode buttons it definitely would be nice for individual joycons to finally have enough buttons to be used for 2 Player SNES games. Currently the joycons are 1 button short to do that.
Technically wouldn’t there be enough already? SNES had the four face buttons ABXY, two triggers L and R, and two additional buttons Start and Select, plus the D-Pad. One Joy Con has a stick (for the D-Pad), four face buttons, two triggers SL and SR, and two additional buttons Plus / Minus and clicking the stick. Technically there’s also two more buttons with R / L and ZR / ZL but those would be very awkwardly placed. I know Binding of Isaac still allowed them to be mapped when playing with a single Joy Con though.

Obviously this whole thing would be quite uncomfortable and hopefully the Switch 2 Joy Con will be better in that regard, and an additional button (or two) would help.

Last edited:
New buttons locations:

RYmk4L7.png
Looking at this one, it quickly made me think of the same button placement on the Wii U pad. Took a pic here:

PXL-20240427-223600560.jpg

Obviously this is where ZR/ZL were on the Wii U pad. So maybe they're adding another button in that same shape and space as the Wii U. It's pretty comfortable too.

Also, the more rounded/thicker part reminds me of this on the Wii U pad too:

PXL-20240427-223540241.jpg

It'd be really nice and comfortable if they did use both of these. A very welcome addition/return.

Edit: oof sorry for the massive images 😅

Edit: Fixed sizes thanks to @darthdiablo.

Last edited:
Imagine if after Chevrolet made the iconic Corvette they decided to make another small sporty muscle car but instead of calling it the Camaro they called it "Corvette 2"

So what you're saying is it will be called the 2025 Nintendo Switch.

Or, if the controllers attach horizontally, then the animation could be similar but with a horizontal click, like people have been suggesting, and then if this is really the Switch 2, after the first click it could do a little bounce and a second, vertical click like the current animation has. Click-clack! Switch–Two!
Oooh... Nintendo Snap?

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
[/HIDE]
nothing beyond that google survey

They mean conservative conceptually compared to previous Nintendo gens where there was something radically new. This info says nothing about specs under the hood. We have the Nvidia leak for that.
I hope so. I can't imagine the specs being a conservative upgrade.

So what you're saying is it will be called the 2025 Nintendo Switch.
no? In the same way that the Camaro was not called the 1967 Corvette. 😅

I'm just elaborately agreeing with the argument that it should have its own name. Not simply "Name of the Thing That Came Before It 2"

Oooh... Nintendo Snap?
D2c2-R7VAAAJUOL.jpg

Piecing together these leaks... everything sounds... PERFECT. Which of course has me nervous but also very very excited. Sounds like everything I would want in a successor to the Switch actually making it into the product. I hope these reports are accurate because this will be a damn fine system if they are. :)

I initially read the SL/SR metallic thing as just being L/R and wondered why. I was thinking maybe they were capacitive/track pad like, in the sense that one could “scroll” them. Yes I’m trying to make a scrolling functions happen.

Could the new rear button be an assignable “back paddle” button, similar to the paddles on the Xbox Elite Controller? Maybe the new front button is the “assign back paddle” button.
That's exactly what I suspect too. The prominence of the remapping button would be odd, since that's usually on the top or back of the controller, but I feel like an extra remapping button on the back of the joycon would've been mentioned if it existed.

Matter of fact the only time I remember an automaker doing that was with the Mustang 2 and everyone hated it 😅
hey, the mustang 2 sold well and was a necessary step!

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom