• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

IMO, it just shows yet again how widely varied everyone's thoughts are, which makes this whole situation both very exciting, and also extremely nerve-wracking.

And yet,

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

But then there's the BC elephant in the room, which there are games that heavily rely on the Joy-Cons. Though honestly, you don't need one for the other to work. You can still have BC, and not have Joy-cons, it'll just be limited to games that don't require it. And the same is true in vice versa.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I can corroborate independently on Nate's claim of March as a reveal month for Switch 2
0d7.png

Would people be upset if Switch 2 comes without joycons and have it built it?

Would I personally care? Not really. However, for various reasons that many members here have pointed out, I completely expect them to be retained for SNG. I do think they will be improved compared to the original Joy Cons, but since they do need to be functional as a stand alone controller, there is only so much that they can do.

I can corroborate independently on Nate's claim of March as a reveal month for Switch 2

And that is why they call you the Legend!

Although I don’t care if the Switch 2 has or doesn’t have detachable controllers, it’s still be a bummer

For entertainment purposes:
Assuming Nintendo goes Joyless (teehee), they could be betting on Switch 2 buyers 100% having a Switch, meaning they can connect those with the new Switch and go multiplayer

A lot of people in general would care.

You woudnt have local multiplayer out of the box.

You woudnt have the option to play docked out of the box.

A lot of people here probably prefer the pro controller anyway, so they woudnt care.

The Steam Deck is the most comfortable of the bunch and I'm tired of pretending it isn't.

On another note, the increase length of the hypothetical Switch 2 joycon is a really nice thing. Probably will make it nicer to hold in the hands overall, I always found the Switch a bit to short in terms of it's height, so that would be a nice improvement imo.

We almost there fam. Going to be a long month for a lot of people. Maybe some good rumors will surface worth discussing.

Oh shit it's happening

Which also means next week's presentation (Partner Showcase?) will be a bust. Shame.
That Direct's a feint for when they punch us in the face with the Switch 2 Presentation later (hopefully).

Besides, they're going to reveal a new Ace Attorney game, surely, so it's fine.

The Steam Deck is the most comfortable of the bunch and I'm tired of pretending it isn't.

On another note, the increase length of the hypothetical Switch 2 joycon is a really nice thing. Probably will make it nicer to hold in the hands overall, I always found the Switch a bit to short in terms of it's height, so that would be a nice improvement imo.

The Deck is super comfortable, and with both analog sticks on top, makes the controls even better. It does suffer from an extra wide handheld, but I could probably make an argument that moving your right thumb from Left to Right, and vice versa is more ergonomic, and comfortable than up and down.

I'm going off the rails and saying it will be a full blown showcase with a release in May
Idk about that haha, I think it will be the equivalent of the Switch 1 reveal video, promo commercial with flashes of new games + gimmicks - 2 mins or so... Coming 2024. More news around June.

I mean kinda, one of the things I'm looking forward to is bigger, comfortable, fully featured detachable controllers. Joy-Con never really fulfilled that dream with weak signals and uncomfortable smallness.

Since the Joy-Con has become a hot topic again, allow me to bring up the previous comments by factory uncle #2 before they went into seemingly self-imposed exile. (The last post from them intimated that they were planning to change jobs. Shortly after all their posts were deleted.)

Judging from these rumors, and the latest Furukawa comment on the importance of multiplayer experience (quote below), it’s hard to believe that Nintendo would abandon the Joy-Con concept.

The “speculations” of the Joy-Con’s demise is probably stemmed from the tunnel vision of core gamers, and/or the dev kit’s exclusion of Joy-Cons (an early dev kit rumor from Spain indicating that only a Pro Controller was provided).

Considering the no Joy-Con thing is only a month old (if we place the starting point at Andy Robinson's tweet), I doubt they're using an early dev kit rumour as the source of their speculation considering we're 4-5 weeks away from it being revealed.

Nate says Switch 2 ready for March reveal (Timestamp is there but if it doesn't work it's 40:30)

He reiterates the no joycon thing. (I'm terrified) (I don't really care that much) (I wonder what the gimmick would be?)

Key wording here is at the start: "All I can say". I think he's known since Gamescom that March was the planned reveal, and he's only recently been allowed to say that and/or confirmed that's still the plan, I think there's a lot more that he and others are aware of (but aren't allowed/willing to share).

So I think the one-piece Switch 2 thing has some merit. I also think that obviously doesn't preclude Nintendo from releasing new Joy-Cons - for sale separately and/or to be included in the box (instead of a "Pro Controller" which has been suggested). To me that last part leans more towards just speculation, cause I think the awareness of what exactly is going to be packaged in the box is less likely to be known at this point.

But hey, this is just my own speculation on the "speculation".

Oh, and one last thing - they could even have the new Joy-Cons snap to the new dock to charge, so the Switch logo and their Direct flair could be continued in some form.

Last edited:
No, as long as I can use my existing Switch pro controller with it or it comes bundled with a separate controller for playing docked. It'd be a really weird move to sell a hybrid without a way to play it docked packed into the box.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom