• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Nate's going more by vibes on the Joy-Con thing. I believe his perspective is that they were an "innovation" by Nintendo, and when Nintendo comes up with a new gimmick/innovation and people don't latch onto it - and heck, often even when they do - it might not get a second chance.

That said, I think the Joy-Cons are a low-key enough innovation that they aren't dropped, especially on an iterative console.

thinking about the no joy-con idea, could switch 2 have a clamshell design similar to the old nvidia shield? maybe we get a pro controller and the tablet attach on top of it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Nate's going more by vibes on the Joy-Con thing. I believe his perspective is that they were an "innovation" by Nintendo, and when Nintendo comes up with a new gimmick/innovation and people don't latch onto it - and heck, often even when they do - it might not get a second chance.

That said, I think the Joy-Cons are a low-key enough innovation that they aren't dropped, especially on an iterative console.
so he is essentially saying the it huh?

"Nintendo gonna Nintendo? sigh

Does anyone know what makes Nate so sure of this no joycon thing btw? what is his reasoning?

This may actually not be worth giving too much thought. At least until Nate provides any clarity besides “it’s just a prediction”.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

I expect a press release and a 2-3 minute video showing it. Maybe a game or two. No price, No date outside of “2024” and probably not a full feature set. Cannot wait to go to Japan in June for the annual shareholders meet. It’s going to be WILD with switch 2 stuff heating up.

thinking about the no joy-con idea, could switch 2 have a clamshell design similar to the old nvidia shield? maybe we get a pro controller and the tablet attach on top of it.
I think that would be amazing for the next generation Lite/Mini.

However, the main console is meant to be an uncompromised hybrid, and that would be a compromise, while a Lite/Mini is meant to be inexpensive, and a hinge and drastic formfactor change adds expense.

I expect a press release and a 2-3 minute video showing it. Maybe a game or two. No price, No date outside of “2024” and probably not a full feature set. Cannot wait to go to Japan in June for the annual shareholders meet. It’s going to be WILD with switch 2 stuff heating up.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

The Joycon are fine, all they need is sticks that don't drift. I'd rather have replaceable Joycon than worrying about how to fix a broken stick or button on a system without detachable controls.

Thanks. He was more specific in this one and it seems that the March reveal is more than just speculation merged with some information. It is truly the endgame, friends.
this is it, huh? are we truly witnessing the end of mr bones wild ride? please, i want to get off.

38a.jpg

Man if I was Nate reading that people shouldn’t give what I say any thought unless it’s a leak, I sure wouldn’t want to continue sharing anything!

Nice strawman. I did not say “any thought”. I said “not too much thought”. As in let’s not over analyze his prediction and try to draw conclusions that may or may not be there.

Please do us all a favor and not assume what Nate thinks. Also criticize others when you misread or misunderstand their post.

Man if I was Nate reading that people shouldn’t give what I say any thought unless it’s a leak, I sure wouldn’t want to continue sharing anything!
I'm sure that's preferable than to have people freak out at you when your prediction is potentially wrong. Speculation on anyone's part is always just a theory.

Well this should now keep me from making another video on something already found here lol.
Hey, man, you always add to the conversation, whatever you find! Welcome!

And just like that we are roughly less than a month till reveal.
Where the fuck did the time go??!
stares in 2405 pages of thread

Technical query: Could force feedback work well with joycons? I feel like their small form and battery limitations might be an issue if they're pursuing something like that.
What do you mean by force feedback? Like in a racing wheel? Or just like rumble?

I almost always play in handheld mode, the joycons are shit:
  • Analog Sticks are fucking garbage, not just the drift issues I mean the actual quality of these analog sticks. They provide no good thumb traction and feel extremely inaccurate (likely the result of them being so damn small)
  • The shoulder buttons and Z buttons are too close to the point where the switch joycons are not comfortable when trying to have a finger on each shoulder button and z button
  • the only reason I can even tolerate playing in handheld mode is because I use a satisfye switch grip. Without that grip, the switch in handheld mode is extremely uncomfortable to hold due to lacking any grip area

When in handheld, I only use the Satisfye Grip. It is uttering amazing. Was on a 7 hour flight from Chicago to Edinburgh last year, and during the trip back home, I played all 7 hours, and my hands and fingers were never fatigued. I've said before I don't have large hands, though they are a bit husky. It transformed my ability to play handheld, and as such, I tend to play handheld more than docked these days.

If Nintendo are able to solve that issue with NG Switch, I will play a lot in handheld, and reserve those special gaming sessions for docked.

Happy-Grift?

How about...

Really? It's horrible. Mine's always dropping out. I just stopped using them.

Also have an Erista Switch. Never had issues with joy-cons cutting out, though I'm not sure if this is more for folks who detach their joy-cons, or even if they're in the rails.

Does anyone know what makes Nate so sure of this no joycon thing btw? what is his reasoning?
I believe it mainly is speculating based on how they use the Switch themselves. It is not surprising that also many Influencer or just people who use the Switch as their main console would agree with this, because I imagine for them it mainly is a mostly docked Single Player Unit.

A strong argument for a single body I believe they didn‘t mention would be that Nintendo themselves often said that their goal with the Switch was more than one device per household. There is strong indication that they somewhat achieved that. If everyone would also be ready to buy their own Switch 2, then the value of having new Joycons in an integral way decreases quite a bit. Especially if the current Joycons are compatible and they just make a cool fancy new version without railings, then most consumers wouldn‘t mind too much them missing.

Though I think people often forget that the Switch also is a Local Multiplayer Machine. Given how many titles in this regard release for the Switch and how insanely well they sell, I don‘t think Nintendo‘d wanna miss out on that.

So if there are no Joycons, they‘d have to pack in a second (or even third?) controller and I don‘t know if they really want to do that. This could drive up costs to some degree and I believe would make the hybrid concept look forced.

But yeah, it all depends on who they want to target with the new device. Maybe Single User per Hardware and Online Multiplayer really is their main focus now. Maybe I‘m overrating the usage of Switch in Local Multiplayer.

One thing I’m certain is we definitely don’t have the full picture here and there will be for sure a twist to how they use controls.

It just feels weird to me that Nate is so sure of BC AND ditching the joycons. Whenever Nintendo has a succesful system that its sucessor is BC with, they make sure it can work with the controls that one has see the Wii U being able to use wiimotes and the 3DS....well its easy for that one

Here's something many don't seem to realize about potentially ditching the Joy-Cons for Switch 2: while the current stock Joy-Cons may suck, them being detachable means you can easily replace them with a third-party option that works best for you. Sure, Nintendo would try to come up with a unibody design that works for most people, but consider all the options we have available on Switch right now:
  • flat but more ergonomic controllers meant to be easily portable
  • full-size console-style controllers for those who don't care as much about portability
  • controllers that emulate a retro console's layout (usually the GameCube)
  • controllers with back buttons/paddles
  • controllers with mechanical switches or Hall effect joysticks
All of these third-party Joy-Cons have different ergonomics that accommodate a large variety of hand shapes and sizes, and their build quality has only gotten better over time. If they are not detachable on the next system, everyone would be stuck with whatever Nintendo has deemed as good enough for us and affordable enough for them.

Last edited:
It just feels weird to me that Nate is so sure of BC AND ditching the joycons. Whenever Nintendo has a succesful system that its sucessor is BC with, they make sure it can work with the controls that one has see the Wii U being able to use wiimotes and the 3DS....well its easy for that one
I mean presumably you would still be able to use your switch Joycons on the switch 2 as controllers still. It just wouldn‘t have joy cons of its own (in this situation).

That innovation dates back to 2006 and has, in fact, been latched onto to since then. Just not by the people in the particular gaming bubble doing all this commentary.

I mean presumably you would still be able to use your switch Joycons on the switch 2 as controllers still. It just wouldn‘t have joy cons of its own (in this situation).
I could see a situation where you can't attach Switch 1 joycons to the rail of Switch 2, but they still function for local multiplayer purposes. But I can't see them ditching the joy con concept, it's to integral imo.

Switch is also a cheap multiplayer machine:
• Console comes with two controllers;
• You can buy another one for $19.99-69.99

Also since not everyone can watch it, Nate does not know the shape of the reveal (teaser or more).

And the joycon bit still sounds like speculation to me.
Thanks, I didn't catch this difference in the information, so the disappearance of the joy-cons is speculation on Nate's part.
Regarding the 256GB/512GB of internal memory and 16GB of RAM, are we talking about new information or always speculation?

Lack of BC and/or the NG Switch being region locked is what would kill the system for me. Couldn't care less about joycons.
There is a precedent with the 3DS that was region locked when the console it superseded (the DS) wasn't.
(Yeah I know about the DSi, don't care, don't @ me).

🚨🚨🚨
Sounds like Nintendo is primed and ready.

🚨🚨🚨

Thread-worthy here?

IMO, it just shows yet again how widely varied everyone's thoughts are, which makes this whole situation both very exciting, and also extremely nerve-wracking.

And yet,

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

But then there's the BC elephant in the room, which there are games that heavily rely on the Joy-Cons. Though honestly, you don't need one for the other to work. You can still have BC, and not have Joy-cons, it'll just be limited to games that don't require it. And the same is true in vice versa.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom