• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Betteridges law actually applies really for forum posts as well.

Is X (fill in the blank Amibo restock, Nintendo store upgrading their setup, Monster hunter getting a dlss implementation on PC, could go on an on) related to Nintendos plans? No.

Last edited:
"Will this make games look worse than the current generation of Switch consoles?"

Current generation of Switch: Below 720p in demanding games in handheld mode, dropping as low as 360p, even worse IQ with blurry upscaling / TAA / sharpening

v0xlqbztti401.jpg

Next generation of Switch: 6x GPU leap + DLSS, full 1080p on a 1080p screen much more likely

xc2.png

OLED looks damn good, but it can't save the sub-native rendering plaguing many 3D games on the current Switch. So it's not a like-for-like comparison.

I also wish we were getting an OLED at launch, but I won't be disappointed when witnessing the leaps in graphical fidelity on a (hopefully) laminated IPS 1080p screen.

Reminder that any "news" article that asks a yes or no question in the headline: the answer is always "No"

Oh I didn't realize this was an actual 'law'

"Will this make games look worse than the current generation of Switch consoles?"

Current generation of Switch: Below 720p in demanding games in handheld mode, dropping as low as 360p, even worse IQ with blurry upscaling / TAA / sharpening

v0xlqbztti401.jpg

Next generation of Switch - 6x GPU leap + DLSS, full 1080p on a 1080p screen much more likely

xc2.png

OLED looks damn good, but it can't save the sub-native rendering plaguing many 3D games on the current Switch. So it's not a like-for-like comparison.
Everyday I have to remind myself that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is my among my favorite 2017 games because you wouldn't be able to tell judging by it's amount of problems.

That being said, can't wait for it to not look like ass on a Portable system.

v0xlqbztti401.jpg

Next generation of Switch: 6x GPU leap + DLSS, full 1080p on a 1080p screen much more likely

xc2.png

I also wish we were getting an OLED at launch, but I won't be disappointed when witnessing the leaps in graphical fidelity on a (hopefully) laminated IPS 1080p screen.
Imagine what Xenoblade 4 will look like on switch 2.

Everyday I have to remind myself that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is my among my favorite 2017 games because you wouldn't be able to tell judging by it's amount of problems.

the surface of the character models looks like micro spikes cuz of the screen and power of the switch 1 :cry:. with the better resolution and better tech in the LCD and with the power of DLSS the switch 2 can make the character models look clean 🤩

Isn't it possible that the whole "Microsoft handing out licences to create new Xbox hardware" -thing is a way for them to break into other markets? Like a cheaper model for emerging economies, or pairing up with a Chinese company to get their foot in the market there?

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

v0xlqbztti401.jpg

xc2.png

man, XC2's TAA was so ass that even 1080p is blurry still

in my silly little head: xbox already has amassed industry dominating studio acquisitions, is growing the anti-competitive game pass, and is now allegedly going to flood the market with a licensed hardware platform

if this is actually happening I'd bet we're about five years away from sie going under and nintendo shifting away from video games

In not falling for that troll bait raccoon.

Animal crossing is a pillar but…It would be so good on PC….T_T

Last edited:
Sony is releasing first party PC games after 1-2 years.
Microsoft (allegedly) will start releasing first party multiplatform games after 1-2 years and PC versions day 1.
Nintendo?

I wouldn't rule out a Nintendo being pressured to do "something" by shareholders/fans if the above two situations make them big money and do not devalue their hardware business. Maybe around the time Switch 3 talk picks up. My guess is Nintendo releasing some "choice" games on PC. Like Fire emblem, Clubhouse games, Advance Wars, and Pikmin. Way less of a chance but Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and pokemon would also be great candidates. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby are all staying exclusive forever.
Not as long as Nintendo continues to justify its own hardware with various integrated gimmicks.

One of the reasons why this approach makes sense for Microsoft and Sony is that Xbox and PlayStation are already little more than consolized, no-frills PCs. This is why I expect Nintendo to continue trying to innovate: if there is nothing that makes their hardware unique, they might as well start porting everything to PC like the other two.

Last edited:
Right, but I think Nate is just hinting that it'll be LED and backwards compatible at launch.

Dragoncaine’s thought is exactly where I went, too. I know Nate is also a ‘regular guy’ who loves games and should get to talk and discuss things without everything he says being combed for hints, but this particular reply seems like Nate trying to help this person gain some perspective/manage their expectations.

I could be wrong, but if current Switch owners were asked to pick only one for launch, I believe a vast majority would pick the former (backwards compatibility.) It comes with the benefit of a built-in library of games (and obviously with that, the ability to continue to play your backlog games on the new console in between must-play Successor releases.) It also makes the console cheaper to produce which hopefully means a lower price for consumers. (Not to mention the percentage of Switch users who primarily play docked.)

Nate is smart and thoughtful, and seems to be pretty careful about the things he says. He definitely could have been just asking a question, but in this instance, I’m more inclined to believe he’s somewhat confident that the Successor will have an LCD screen and BC at launch.

system hasn't even been revealed and I'm already sick of the screen discourse

Hopefully we got the most controversial (if you can even call it that) leak out of the way. The only other features/specs that I think might cause controversy are if the system is 8gb or if there's no backwards compatibility, both of which I consider to be extremely unlikely

Betteridges law actually applies really for forum posts as well.

Is X (fill in the blank Amibo restock, Nintendo store upgrading their setup, Monster hunter getting a dlss implementation on PC, could go on an on) related to Nintendos plans? No.
Hey now
The amiibo restock is absolutely related to Nintendo's plan to sell more amiibos

v0xlqbztti401.jpg

xc2.png

Me in the morning before my coffee:
eCW0CR8.png

Last edited:
Hopefully we got the most controversial (if you can even call it that) leak out of the way. The only other features/specs that I think might cause controversy are if the system is 8gb or if there's no backwards compatibility, both of which I consider to be extremely unlikely
No BC would be an even bigger uproar than the screen, but I agree it’s unlikely.

Why N4? Wouldn't they choose something smaller, as by time this will be close to finish we would have smaller nodes right?
N3 is still a new and expensive node. And it also brings very few benefits compared to N4P. Nvidia also doesn't has products using their N3 flavor (3N?), so using N3 would be extremely surprising and also costly. 4N is more than enough for Nintendo needs.
I've always been under the impression that DS was under development before the PSP was announced - possibly as just a straightforward replacement for the GBA. A 3D console with SNES controls that maybe had a touchscreen, with the idea that they adjusted plans after the PSP was announced. I have no idea if that's correct or not though.
A more straightforward GBA sucessor was in development, yes. Known as Iris. But there were already discussions internally at Nintendo about new and inventive ways of gaming to be brought to their GBA sucessor. But, regardless, what is said is true: PSP definitely accelerated DS introduction and forced Nintendo to kill the extremely successful GBA early.
You often remind you why you're the guy I keep putting on ignore and then soften on a few months later.

Devs mostly have problems with Series S about the amount of RAM if their game really needs it - 10GB shared between CPU and GPU (yes, I know it's the same chip) isn't much when it's hard to buy a PC with less than 16 and PCs are more likely to have a dedicated GPU with it's own RAM. Less about the CPU or GPU, except in cases where their baseline on PC is higher than what the Series S provides.

All they need to do is include 16 and they're golden for most games. Stick it at 10, and then they're still fine if it's Microsoft because that's the baseline anyway for them.
I think Feet point is that speculation about PS5 handheld is nonsense. It's another SKU, with different hardware IPs, using different tools and with different strengths and weaknesses. It would be 100% a Series S situation for Sony, regardless of memory amount. Devs would need to support and plan for a lower level of performance. And, by looking at Vita, this isn't something Sony development teams want to do. But, regardless, such rumors are bullshit anyway.
I have a question. So what about the Van Gogh threading? How much processing power is that? How much would it compare to one core of the T239? I always wonder about that. So the current gen have 8 core 16 threads. Would that mean double (just assume if it was the same power wise core to core)?
SMT works by taking advantage of non utilized resources to try to boost performance. But it's tricky, as if your core is well feed and work well, SMT won't provide much of a boost at all. It's something nice to have, but it isn't a must have and also has downsides that need to be balanced. But a 4C/8T processor, assuming similar performance per core, is in no way similar to a 8C/8T processor.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Yes, it is. In simpler terms, it would mean that T239 is fabbed on a process that allows it to be smaller and more power efficient, while also raising baseline level of performance that can be expected. Would be basically a "dream come true best scenario" if it's fabbed om TSMC 4N.

One of the first thing I am going to do is pop in my cartridge and see how well it upscales.
N3 is still a new and expensive node. And it also brings very few benefits compared to N4P. Nvidia also doesn't has products using their N3 flavor (3N?), so using N3 would be extremely surprising and also costly. 4N is more than enough for Nintendo needs.
No, my reply was in the context of the rumored Playstation portable that is supposedly at least 2 years away.

No, my reply was in the context of the rumored Playstation portable that is supposedly at least 2 years away.
then answer would still be the same. AMD apus are more longer-lived than their separate cpus and gpus. it'll be a while before they make the jump to N3. longer than 2 years, I suspect

Ah! My apologies then. But, still, N3 wouldn't be enough to bring PS5 level performance to a 15W handheld. Would need a combination of GPU and CPU low power design breakthrough, memory bandwidth breakthrough, etc.

But 2 years away from now, N3E would be a feasible choice of node for such SoC, yes.

We had that graphene breakthrough after many many years that the researchers at Georgia Tech finally accomplished and published. That’s still years upon years if not decade(s) away from general production though.

If a new Playstation handheld will be released, I don't think it will be a bad thing for Nintendo. The power gap between the Switch 2 and the possible PSP3 will not be that big. So both devices will likely have similar third-party offerings.

Just as it is sometimes said here that the existence of the Xbox Series S could be a good thing for the third-party support of the Nintendo Switch 2, I think something similar could happen with a possible PSP3.

Last edited:
this game looks too good for switch. is it footage of a Switch 2 game?

no, you're just blind
If this is regarding Sonic X Shadow Generations I kinda had that impression at first since the footage was at 60 fps and the 360/PS3 targeted 30 fps. But then I realized it was the exact same trailer from the State of Play.

That's my point, I think they're just gonna do a very fancy version of a PC. As long as the spec hits minimum spec, maybe a specific set of hardware or whatever, then their games will have around the same performance levels for everyone. After that will be to users'/vendors' taste
The Series X would be a really nice budget of, if they let you dual boot windows.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom