• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I agree, even though older patents (pre Wii U/3DS) have a serious chance to be used (the Switch concept goes back to a GameCube era patent).
There was no hybrid concept patent from that era as far as I know, just prototyped schematics that were found in the Nintendo gigaleak. They were meant to be secret.

There was no hybrid concept patent from that era as far as I know, just prototyped schematics that were found in the Nintendo gigaleak. They were meant to be secret.
Misremembering then, my point stands though, older patents are more likely to be used than new ones (which are public already).

Imagine being the fed who has to browse Famiboards for work.

[FEDURAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATIONS - 3PM - 02/02/2024]

"Ah Jenson, you're turning in your report on that troubling website?"

"Yes sir... uhh... um Well there's been a few updates in the last couple of days."

"Oh really? Well what is it?"

"They're starting to go mad due to a lack of concrete leaks from our Leaking department."

"Well the plan seems to be working. Post about GameStop information in one thread and talk to that content creator plant of ours using a different man to make them go hysterical."

"Which plant?"

"Oh any of them will do... uhh, what's NintendoPrime posting recently?"

[FEDURAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATIONS - 3PM - 02/02/2024]

"Ah Jenson, you're turning in your report on that troubling website?"

"Yes sir... uhh... um Well there's been a few updates in the last couple of days."

"Oh really? Well what is it?"

"They're starting to go mad due to a lack of concrete leaks from our Leaking department."

"Well the plan seems to be working. Post about GameStop information in one thread and talk to that content creator plant of ours using a different man to make them go hysterical."

"Which plant?"

"Oh any of them will do... uhh, what's NintendoPrime posting recently?"
Post of the day. I lol'd so hard.

Just reminding myself of the official YolkFolk Switch 2 reveal month analysis I saved.

IMG-8755.jpg

Misremembering then, my point stands though, older patents are more likely to be used than new ones (which are public already).
A recent example of that is the PS portal, which was based on a ps4 patent.

Oldpuck went into detail how manufacturing processes work going from prototype stage to beta product to mass production etc. Unfortunately I cannot find the post because I don't think I can search his former "deleted member" comment history.

(edit: Found the post - bookmarked it this time)

If Switch 2 is similar to Switch (rails, tablet design, etc), that would probably help a bit in the planning/design phase.

But I don't think this would help reduce the manufacturing process. It's still different parts, different processes, different screws, etc. They have to do test/practice assembly runs, just like they did for SWOLED and Switch Lite. Gotta find the right amount of efficiency before they can officially begin mass production.
My stepdad and my quasi-adopted dad were master machinists. A lot of their job was building tooling for mass-manufacturing runs. But I am not a machinist, so take this with a grain of salt.

If you did something like scale up a Joy-Con shell by 13%, you're going to get a shit Joy-Con. Thickness is probably going to be wrong. You'll hold it different, so pressure tolerances will be wrong. Injection molding will cool slower, you'll need to change the process or the shell will crack during cooling. And even if you could just scale up and the part work identically, the molding and tooling for the larger part will either be totally different, or the sorts of things that are shared almost universally across factories anyway.

You're right that concept and design reuse absolutely can accelerate the early phases of the project. The problem space is well known, it's very easy to prototype, a lot of bugs in your final assembly process are likely already worked out. But the machining process starts pretty much from scratch.

If Switch 2 is similar to Switch (rails, tablet design, etc), that would probably help a bit in the planning/design phase.
This is mostly the part I'm talking about. Assuming that it's similar (I think this is a good assumption) and some of the same people are working on the manufacturing ramp-up and industrial design (I think this is also fairly likely) to the last 3 Switch models (OG, redbox, and OLED), they've already hit at least a few of the issues they're likely to encounter and will hopefully be able to avoid some of them that they would have hit if this were their first time doing this type of design.

All these companies jumping at PC handhelds I feel like will be held back by the fact that they're gonna be stuck with AMD x86 APUs. While they have okay power usage they are still a ways off from truly mobile hardware and get absolutely blown out of the water by stuff like Apple Silicon. I really think the next real big step will be ARM mobile PC handheld with software conversion for supporting games, and that's not as far-fetched as it sounds. Projects like FEX-Emu and Box86/64 are already starting to run modern AAA games at good speeds on the latest mobile chipsets coming out.

All these companies jumping at PC handhelds I feel like will be held back by the fact that they're gonna be stuck with AMD x86 APUs. While they have okay power usage they are still a ways off from truly mobile hardware and get absolutely blown out of the water by stuff like Apple Silicon. I really think the next real big step will be ARM mobile PC handheld with software conversion for supporting games, and that's not as far-fetched as it sounds. Projects like FEX-Emu and Box86/64 are already starting to run modern AAA games at good speeds on the latest mobile chipsets coming out.
Box86/64 is an exciting project. I don't know if it results in something general use for a user to apply, or something that ends up being used like a wrapper.

MSI is going with Intel and Arc.

I wonder what will come out first:
• An Apple dedicated hybrid gaming system
• A hybrid PC gaming system with Apple Silicon
I think Apple just doesn't want to do anything involving gaming, at least directly. If they're making a traditional handheld, then they don't have any major studios to make first-party games, if they're making a handheld PC, then it'll likely have much more limited support since gaming on Mac is famously a total crapshoot, they won't license out any M3 chips to other manufacturers since they're so insistent on Apple being as closed of a system as possible, and they already make a killing off of mobile gaming from the App Store. Of all major computer manufacturers, they're probably the least likely to get into the handheld market.

Hmm, so he might not be a credible leaker anymore?
we don't know yet. I've long since stopped following Khu since I can't deal with their ass-hattery, but people said they have been having more misses so either their sources are gone or something else happened. we'll see when the next cycle begins (probably later this month)

Someone should shop a Nintendo Switch logo on the second John Wick movie poster with all these PC handhelds coming out the woodwork.

I have a question. What about Pokémon leaks? Wouldn't someone like riddle khu would say something about the Switch 2?

Khu's accuracy has taken a significant hit of late, and there's some fairly well founded speculation they may have lost their source(s) at some point during SV development. They may have some knowledge of games that were already in development at the time, but there's a very real chance they aren't getting new info anymore.
Assuming they make another entry to the Legends sub franchise, I wonder if it'll be made just for Switch, cross gen or Switch 2
Their next release is most likely to share its platform list with Gen 10, whatever that will be.
Box86/64 is an exciting project. I don't know if it results in something general use for a user to apply, or something that ends up being used like a wrapper.
The problem with Box86 in particular (Box64 is unaffected) is that it sort of relies on the CPU having aarch32 support to work, which presents some obvious issues as ARM cores drop support for aarch32. I believe the developer has said they were considering making a "Box32" which doesn't have that limitation, but work hadn't really started on it yet last I checked.

Khu's accuracy has taken a significant hit of late, and there's some fairly well founded speculation they may have lost their source(s) at some point during SV development. They may have some knowledge of games that were already in development at the time, but there's a very real chance they aren't getting new info anymore.
Oh that's sad. You think they might be addicted to the fame and they can't come out and tell the truth?

Yet another handheld PC with 16GB LPDDR5 (this one also has an option for 32GB too though). If Nintendo was smart they would have chosen 16GB because it's very much looking like 16GB LPDDR5 would be easy and cheap enough to get supply for long term.
I don't think the worry is that the world would run out of memory. If everything is cheap, there is still a limit to how much you can buy

I don't think the worry is that the world would run out of memory. If everything is cheap, there is still a limit to how much you can buy
I'm more thinking about how long term the savings nintendo would make going with 12GB instead of 16GB are fairly minimal when so many PC handhelds are going with 16GB LPDDR5 that manufacturers are likely going to be making a shitload of 8GB wafers compared to 6GB wafers.

I'm more thinking about how long term the savings nintendo would make going with 12GB instead of 16GB are fairly minimal when so many PC handhelds are going with 16GB LPDDR5 that manufacturers are likely going to be making a shitload of 8GB wafers compared to 6GB wafers.

I do think Nintendo will be conscious of trends in memory (and other components) to ensure they're choosing parts which will be manufactured for a long time, but I don't think the existence of handheld PCs have any real impact on that. These handheld PCs probably have a market of somewhere in the low single digit million units a year, whereas Nintendo might do 20+ million units a year if things go well. Both are completely dwarfed by the smartphone industry, though, which sells over a billion units a year. The smartphone market dictates what LPDDR modules are going to be manufactured, and that's what determines the options available to both Nintendo and the handheld PC manufacturers.

Well, if the rumors are true (and they're starting to look like they're true), we might be able to play quite a few Microsoft + Bethesda first party titles on our Switch 2 consoles in the years ahead...

Well, if the rumors are true (and they're starting to look like they're true), we might be able to play quite a few Microsoft + Bethesda first party titles on our Switch 2 consoles in the years ahead...

which specific rumors ? Sorry I've been out of the loop. Only heard of Hi fi Rush coming to Switch

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom