• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    šŸš§ We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. šŸš§

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Switch 2 Pepsi

s-l1600.jpg

I misjudge how much time people play regularly. I play Mario Kart once a week for about 90 minutes. I'm working on Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth on PC right now. I play maybe 4-5 hours per week. I spend more time reading. I keep meaning to pick up Baldur's Gate 3 again.
Well most gamers don't play much more than a few hours a week, many Switch users only play a few hours a month actually. When you game hours every day you are in the hardcore gamer category of players. The type of gamer that goes out of their way to buy the future Switch 2 on release day.

(responding to you)
Thanks for the well put out response.
And that's completely true since the internet wasn't a thing. Plus consoles/hardware development were different back then,

(forum question)
Can we expect any noticeable difference with how the Nvidia and Nintendo partnership would look like, since Nintendo were once with AMD and that didn't go well for either sides.
AMD gave Nintendo exactly what they wanted. Any poor hardware decisions was entirely made by Nintendo.

For Wii U, instead of going with a complicated and expensive MCM made by 3 companies (Renesas, IBM, AMD), they could have gone with an x86 or arm APU made entirely by AMD and gotten a similar deal to MS and Sony. But it woudnt have had BC.

Plus what makes Nintendo different compare to Xbox or Sony, since i think Nvidia said that the chip the ps4 and xbox were too expensive to mass produce and were once in the console market. Like wouldn't Nvidia prefer to partner with them instead of Nintendo?

AMDs major advantage is that they make x86 cpus, so Sony and MS gets the entire package from one company. This provides tons of advantages in the the logistics/ mass production/ design.
Like how much influence does Nvida have with the Chip development, like do they just follow what Nintendo wants or would they push Nintendo into doing the smarter move, for example using a 4TSMC instead of the 8NM.
I imagine it's a back and forth collaboration, but ultimately the one who pays the bills (Nintendo) gets the final say.

Monster Hunter Rise on the Switch alone sold basically the same numbers as Monster Hunter World did on the PS4 (7.8 mill vs 8.5 mill, given the PS4 version has had several extra years of sales, this is a wash).

The Switch has a case for being the co-lead platform for the series, period. That's not opinion, that's borne out by objective sales analysis and the sales being nearly equal.

That's not the case for many other 3rd party titles other than maybe Minecraft, so you can't say "well 3rd parties do this with XYZ franchise". Monster Hunter is a special case on Nintendo platforms, it is a big seller and sells as practically as much as the PlayStation audience, maybe more.
My point is that we don't know as of yet how long it will take to make Switch 2 ports of current gen games, will these ports be fast and easy to make? If so, many studios will probably want to make Switch 2 day and date ports. If it takes longer, Switch 2 ports will probably not come out the same time as the PC, PS and Xbox releases. Doesn't mean that Monster hunter wilds will never release on Switch 2, but its not set in stone that the release date will be the same for the Switch 2 as the other versions.

PS and Xbox have similar architecture, which was a conscious decision to make it easy for third party developers to release games on both systems day and date, Switch 2 have a separate architecture, which means that all third party developers that aim to make games for PS and Xbox have to have a separate development pipeline for their Switch 2 ports. That means that the developers that are aiming for the Switch 2 market more heavily will make the effort to have day and date releases if they can, while others who are more heavily into the current gen market will probably see the Switch 2 as more of a bonus market where they, like they did during Switch 1 focus on the Switch 2 port after they have already completed and released the game to current gen consoles and PC.

Another thing to consider, how much feedback did Nintendo take from third party developers when they and Nvidia set out to design the Switch 2? Did they like Sony and Microsoft listen to third party developers wishes when they design new hardware? Or did Nintendo mostly just listen to feedback from internal Nintendo EPD developers when they made the Switch 2? That matters because it shows how involved big third party developers where in the making of the Switch 2 and thus, how easy it will be for third party developers to make ports to the Switch 2 and develop games for the Switch 2.

Ok, Nate's podcast has some info about Nintendo collecting 3rd party media of Switch 2 projects. If this is as recent as it sounds, the reveal is probably 2 or 3 months away, that is how long it should take to produce the video and have it ready to publish. There is the chance this is info from before the delay, in which case, it could be September/October, but I'd think Nintendo and 3rd parties want to actually talk about their games coming to Switch 2 this time, even with the Switch, we knew games were coming to "NX" like DQ11, that hasn't happened yet for Switch 2.

Expect an announcement and reveal in May and June. With 3rd parties using Gamescom and TGS to further announce more titles.

It's all coming together
To be clear, I am speculating based on that info. What I find weird about it, is that that should leave them plenty of time to release this holiday, which would certainly put a lot of egg on insiders faces, though it doesn't mean that they would have to release this holiday, a longer reveal to release for Switch 2, considering the marketing budget and games to reveal is probably FAR bigger than with Switch, you'd want more time for everything.

Continuing to piss off 3rd parties is a great way to discourage them from developing for your platform.
"Let's sabotage our console launch so a FIFA port can arrive 4 months earlier, they will surely thank us for the opportunity to deliver software on a tighter schedule to a platform with sluggish sales because there are now gaps in the 1st party schedule"

This whole narrative is a farce. If customers were primarily interested in current-gen 3rd party games they have now had multiple years to buy a PS/Xbox/PC/Steam Deck. What matters most is the 1st party software released on a schedule that can lift all boats to support 3rd party sales.

Look at the current status of Xbox if you want to see the results of launching a platform regardless of the state of 1st party software - and that's a system that can actually assume 99% of 3rd party support.

Game was announced for a summer release for every non Nintendo platform before Nintendo even knew of the delay. It was never planned around Switch 2.

Do you really want to tell me that SQEX would release a Mana game and have no intentions to have a version for the successor of the system ready where the last few Mana games sold best?

Really?

the fact that Nintendo delays the Switch 2 due to first party games not bekng ready could also indicate that Nintendo is unsure themselves about the kind of third party ports that will be released in the launch window? Red dead redemption 2 and other older games? Yeah the Wii U launch window already shows that you don't want your new console launch to be dominated by ports of pretty old games.

Realistically, how many games does Nintendo need? Remember the console isn't free, so it's not like people have unlimited budget for launch month and the month(s) after.

If they would manage to have a 3D Mario, one or two smaller game(s) and a "4K port" of one of their evergreens ready for the first 2-3 months, i'd say that's enough if there's also 3rd party games available.

I doubt that situation's so dire that there wouldn't even something from the above be ready for a 2024 release. If that were the case, something went HORRIBLY wrong at their dev teams. But that wouldn't just happen suddenly, so even if this was the case, they could've re-adjusted some of their recent and upcoming releases accordingly.

It's not necessarily about what's ready for day 1. Having an 8 month gap afterwards like the Wii U had is a big no-no.
They have Switch games still coming in '24/'25 for sure, and its back compat so I kind of don't see the issue where there would be an 8 month gap - its not like there was ever going to be a first party Switch AND Switch 2 game every month... the only thing that could have delayed this game wise imo is the big launch title not being ready and needing more time - as seen with Xbox Series X - that would be a mistake to launch without

Again, imo of course, if they would've problems that would lead to no new game release for months after the launch, then something went horribly wrong, and Nintendo completely mismanaged the situation by not adjusting releases (recent and upcoming) accordingly.
That wouldn't be something that suddenly happened, that's something you can notice in advance and react.

Doubtful that Nintendo would've made a blunder like this.

Game was announced for a summer release for every non Nintendo platform before Nintendo even knew of the delay. It was never planned around Switch 2.
So you're telling me that the system that revived the mana series will not potentially release on that system's successor but instead will be released on the system that killed it?

Again, imo of course, if they would've problems that would lead to no new game release for months after the launch, then something went horribly wrong, and Nintendo completely mismanaged the situation by not adjusting releases (recent and upcoming) accordingly.
That wouldn't be something that suddenly happened, that's something you can notice in advance and react.

Doubtful that Nintendo would've made a blunder like this.
That's also my opinion. Nintendo has been obviously sitting on games in the past and is still doing so (MP4). I also don't think that the Jump from Switch 1 to Switch 2 is less of a deal than the jump from SD to HD in terms of development hurdles. It's a much more predictable situation for Nintendo.

So you're telling me that the system that revived the mana series will not potentially release on that system's successor but instead will be released on the system that killed it?
Seiken Densetsu 2 (Secret of Mana) remake is not on the Switch what are you talking about ?

Mana series is not tied to Switch - or Nintendo ecosystem - at all.

Seiken Densetsu 2 (Secret of Mana) remake is not on the Switch what are you talking about ?

Mana series is not tied to Switch - or Nintendo ecosystem - at all.

Personally, i don't think a (shitty) remake from 2018 is a valid example when every Mana console game after was on Switch.
Plus, Switch has the exclusive Collection of Mana, from around the same time.

Personally, i don't think a (shitty) remake from 2018 is a valid example when every Mana console game after was on Switch.
Plus, Switch has the exclusive Collection of Mana, from around the same time.
and Echoes of mana is not a console at all, I don't know...

You're free to make the conclusions you want, but if there are IP that indeed seems tied to an ecosystem - like Atlus Shin Megami Tensei usually were on Nintendo, while Personna were on Playstation -, in Square Enix Mana doesn't follow the logic. A case could eventually be made around Dragon Quest that has been somewhat devoted to Nintendo while Final Fantasy is more a Playstation thing but ... There are also absolutely not this kind of logic there.

Square Enix just makes money where it pleases, and they certainly didn't pull a dull 3D remake and an ok collection of Rom classics thinking "well, there they'll get the message: we spend more money on Playstation to make bad games because truthfully, we're tied to Nintendo "

"I'm announcing the Switch 2 launch in the one place that hasn't been corrupted by '2026'...SPACE!"

Space has already been corrupted by capitalism tho :<
that is how long it should take to produce the video and have it ready to publish.
Video shouldn't take that long. Not even with casting calls and filming in other countries.

But yes, reveal trailer should be more than ready.

Assuming it's even a reveal trailer and not something else.

Space has already been corrupted by capitalism tho :<

Video shouldn't take that long. Not even with casting calls and filming in other countries.

But yes, reveal trailer should be more than ready.

Assuming it's even a reveal trailer and not something else.
any video with multiple 3rd party projects for Switch 2 hardware in it, would have to be a public video of some sort IMO.

You missed Dawn of Mana which is exclusive to the PS2 failed so much that they stopped releasing on consoles.
Heroes of Mana 2007 on DS a year after Dawn of Mana, also Adventures of Mana 2016 on PSVita and Rise of Mana 2014 (japan exclusive) on PSVita.
They've not stopped releasing on console.

Don't get me wrong, I get your general point though, Mana should perform better on Nintendo ecosystem. But Square is currently trying to find their pace and Mana series is in the center of it, with anime, a lot of games, ... It goes well beyond the Switch ecosystem, it's a fondamental IP they want to rely on for the future.

Me if Switch 2 isn't announced in May or June as Zombie is predicting:

popcorn_yes.gif

At this point, I'm here to watch the world burn. :devilish:
Relax, weā€™ll hear somethingā€¦ hopefully in the coming months since I want new hardware. Especially from Nintendo.
But at least Iā€™ll have xenoblade blade to distract me.

Yā€™all think the switch might have an issue when it comes to oversaturated ports. Like weā€™ll have some heavy hitterā€™s ports, but do you think itā€™ll come a time when switch 2 will have too many ports (not saying itā€™s a bad thing) like how would you market it to people to rebuy games that people have already played on the ps4-Xbox one, like early switch port had that magical feeling of playing it on the go. Reason why Skyrim sold pretty well.

Like I personally think that third party developers will have the difficulty of having to much competition with each other this time around.

Interested what yā€™all think. Since RPG will in my opinion dominate the switch 2 market, since handheld and RPG fits so well together.

Yā€™all think the switch might have an issue when it comes to oversaturated ports. Like weā€™ll have some heavy hitterā€™s ports, but do you think itā€™ll come a time when switch 2 will have too many ports (not saying itā€™s a bad thing) like how would you market it to people to rebuy games that people have already played on the ps4-Xbox one, like early switch port had that magical feeling of playing it on the go. Reason why Skyrim sold pretty well.

Like I personally think that third party developers will have the difficulty of having to much competition with each other this time around.

Interested what yā€™all think.
It's not like the concept of playing on the go ever lost its utility. A lot of people would pay top dollar to be able to play a game like FF7R without being attached to a console moonlighting as a model skyscraper.

popcorn_yes.gif

Those predictions are not taking into account that Nintendo has a major release in May, still mostly unvailed: the Donkey Kong theme park. Nintendo wants us to be hyped about the theme park and the potential new DK game. They don't want to divert our attention (and money) to a new hardware now. Announcing Switch 2 the same month as the theme park opening is literally the worst possible option.

Those predictions are not taking into account that Nintendo has a major release in May, still mostly unvailed: the Donkey Kong theme park. Nintendo wants us to be hyped about the theme park and the potential new DK game. They don't want to divert our attention (and money) to a new hardware now. Announcing Switch 2 the same month as the theme park opening is literally the worst possible option.

"People won't go to the theme park if we do a press release saying we plan to release a new Nintendo Switch in the coming fiscal year" which people.

Announcement will happen by September ie within the next 6 months, i think that's the only thing we can say for sure right now. Would be nice for it to be sooner though.

Ok, Nate's podcast has some info about Nintendo collecting 3rd party media of Switch 2 projects. If this is as recent as it sounds, the reveal is probably 2 or 3 months away, that is how long it should take to produce the video and have it ready to publish. There is the chance this is info from before the delay, in which case, it could be September/October, but I'd think Nintendo and 3rd parties want to actually talk about their games coming to Switch 2 this time, even with the Switch, we knew games were coming to "NX" like DQ11, that hasn't happened yet for Switch 2.

Expect an announcement and reveal in May and June. With 3rd parties using Gamescom and TGS to further announce more titles.

I thoughts that's what I heard during the podcast but I wasn't paying too much attention at the time.
Yeah if they are currently active asking for media samples, then something must be in the works...

popcorn_yes.gif

I don't really care when it comes anymore, I wanted it with Zelda Tears of the Kingdom. Since that didn't happen, until the next big game from Nintendo is releasing on current Switch hardware, I'm just going to enjoy my games on other platforms for now. However, we are in a speculation thread, so I'm just trying to speculate on new information.
Announcement will happen by September ie within the next 6 months, i think that's the only thing we can say for sure right now. Would be nice for it to be sooner though.
We can't say that with much more certainty. This is a speculation thread, I know we have real info from an illegal leak, and that provided proof of T239's involvement as Switch's successor SoC, so public Linux info is now involved in this thread. Speculation threads are not news threads, speculating about real info is the entire point of threads like these.

I think knowing so much about the Switch's successor is great, and can make our speculation richer, but we are not in here simply to share the news. Make predictions, be wrong, just follow your logic to make your conclusions, that is the point if this thread. If you are just waiting on news, check the OP daily or weekly.

Last edited:
Realistically, how many games does Nintendo need?
They will be stuck with NG for at minimum 5 years, but probably much more. They will almost certainly rather err on the side of the caution than trust they don't need to try as hard this time and regret for years.

Nintendo published 12 packaged releases in the first 12 months (including DQ Builders and Bayo 2) and 3 digital-only releases (snipperclips, flip wars and Bayo 1).

I imagine their goal is at least repeating that feat.

It's not like they can just upgrade the Zen 2 cores though, it'd absolutely compromise feature parity between models and end up as a discount PS6 which Sony doesn't want. At best, they should have increased the clocks further but a CPU upgrade was never in the cards.
Oh 100%. Don't get me wrong, I understand the limitations with doing a Pro model, especially on the CPU side. Just dubious re: the raytracing uplift when a big part of RT won't be getting much improvement on the hardware side.
I don't view non-mandatory ray tracing as interesting at all and I don't think it matters much to consumers or developers either so RT is either on in the base model or won't make much of a difference imo.
It doesn't matter to consumers but it might to devs. We've seen a push towards more RT stuff lately. Obviously the limitations of the base model will influence the what they can do with the Pro model, but there were times last gen where the PS4 Pro's hardware was just not enough for what the devs wanted to do with the upgrade. A lot of these issues were later patched, but still. I could see something similar happening with the PS5 Pro.

There are only so many games Nintendo can realistically have lineup up and prepared for release. The Wii U was such a flop that it allowed them to recycle the bulk of Wii U's first party titles and release them on Switch. Nintendo did have a lot of brand new titles prepared for Switch, but if you were to remove all the Wii U ports, the release schedule would not have been nearly as consistent. Is it possible or reasonable to think that Nintendo can have a dozen first party games lined up for the first year on the market? I'm doubtful that they can. I also do not think they really need to have the same pacing they did with Switch in order for it to be successful. Third parties will be on board from the start this time, and while I do still believe that it is up to Nintendo to make sure the system gets off to a great start, it will really only take a few high profile games to make that happen. Secure a few high profile third party games for the first year, something like Elden Ring and Red Dead Redemption 2 would be perfect. The flood of third party ports is basically certainty at this point. Switch has been a smash success and third parties wont be playing the wait and see game this time.

Assuming Nintendo was planning for a 2024 release and has decided to push that back to March 2025, we are looking at a roughly six month delay. Sort of inconsequential when we consider games generally take many years to develop, but it does move up their entire lineup of games being developed by six months. Perhaps Nintendo has six to ten games currently in development for SNG all at various stages of development. If they were to launch the system in 2024, only five of them would be done and ready to ship within the first eighteen months on the market, requiring them to space them out accordingly. By releasing six months later than originally planned, these same five titles will all release within twelve months of launch. Basically this allows them to create a stacked condensed lineup of big hitters in the first year on the market.

Another possibility is that Nintendo sees an opportunity to squeeze every last drop out of the Switch before moving on to the successor and because Switch has still been selling well, they feel confident they can do this without any negative consequences for the new hardware. Regardless if SNG launches in late 2024 or in early 2025, this will not have a meaningful impact on the success of that new platform.

Capcom says that DD2 is CPU bound, oh that's not good.

"Dragon's Dogma 2 currently has high demands on hardware, with the Steam Deck struggling to run at playable rates and even high-end machines of an RTX4090 paired with an AMD 5800X3D CPU can drop into the 30s whilst in the denser populated towns."

I'm super curious to see how this affect sales because most of DD2's preorders are on PC but PC gamers get furious about bad performance.

Samsung press release, UFS 5.0 in 2027

The roadmap states that Samsung intends to release UFS 4.0 4-lane CS next year before jumping to UFS 5.0 in 2027. According to Samsung Semiconductor, UFS 4.0 4-lane will improve speed from around 4GB/s to 8GB/s.

Meanwhile, the big UFS 5.0 update to Samsung non-volatile memory, set to be introduced in 2027, could increase speeds above 10GB/s.

Capcom says that DD2 is CPU bound, oh that's not good.

"Dragon's Dogma 2 currently has high demands on hardware, with the Steam Deck struggling to run at playable rates and even high-end machines of an RTX4090 paired with an AMD 5800X3D CPU can drop into the 30s whilst in the denser populated towns."

I'm super curious to see how this affect sales because most of DD2's preorders are on PC but PC gamers get furious about bad performance.
Iā€™m curious to see how dragon dogma 2 will too, because from what Iā€™ve heard itā€™s mostly bad optimisation, plus weirdly there isnā€™t a capped 30fps mode on console, which I find weird. So itā€™ll either be a polished masterpiece or something akin to Jedi last survivor (forgot the games name)

"Dragon's Dogma 2 also offers ray tracing as a graphics option, but other than mildly improving the ambient lighting, the hit to the performance isn't really worth it. For example, with the RTX 4070 Ti, the average fps drop was around 20% without any upscaling, which is pretty good and it's a smaller drop in the city area, but you'll probably not want to bother with it."

Another game with no interesting use of RT.

Overall, assuming that the MH Wilds trailer is accurate for being an open world game with many monsters on screen with AI routines, it's not looking good for the Switch 2.

image.png

My point is that we don't know as of yet how long it will take to make Switch 2 ports of current gen games, will these ports be fast and easy to make? If so, many studios will probably want to make Switch 2 day and date ports. If it takes longer, Switch 2 ports will probably not come out the same time as the PC, PS and Xbox releases. Doesn't mean that Monster hunter wilds will never release on Switch 2, but its not set in stone that the release date will be the same for the Switch 2 as the other versions.

PS and Xbox have similar architecture, which was a conscious decision to make it easy for third party developers to release games on both systems day and date, Switch 2 have a separate architecture, which means that all third party developers that aim to make games for PS and Xbox have to have a separate development pipeline for their Switch 2 ports. That means that the developers that are aiming for the Switch 2 market more heavily will make the effort to have day and date releases if they can, while others who are more heavily into the current gen market will probably see the Switch 2 as more of a bonus market where they, like they did during Switch 1 focus on the Switch 2 port after they have already completed and released the game to current gen consoles and PC.

Another thing to consider, how much feedback did Nintendo take from third party developers when they and Nvidia set out to design the Switch 2? Did they like Sony and Microsoft listen to third party developers wishes when they design new hardware? Or did Nintendo mostly just listen to feedback from internal Nintendo EPD developers when they made the Switch 2? That matters because it shows how involved big third party developers where in the making of the Switch 2 and thus, how easy it will be for third party developers to make ports to the Switch 2 and develop games for the Switch 2.

The bigger point is clearly there would be a lot of motivation here to get the port out fast, if not day and date. Switch is a leading platform for the Monster Hunter series, it sells way, way, (way) more than the XBox for example. If it requires a little work to get it done, I would assume Capcom would be fairly motivated to get it done.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom