• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

iWCoyl7.png

(FR, we sure this isn’t the reason why? Haha)

Last edited:
This is just a tangent because codenames don't need to have some significant meaning to their origin, just some thoughts.

The retailer Muji has always reminded me a bit of Nintendo with the vibe of their stationary and supplies. Besides the obvious part of them being both Japanese in origin. Cute, tactile, round, playful, small, some degree of minimalism.

The insides of stores are so peaceful and comfortable and there are kiosks everywhere that encourage you to play with their supplies, to ink with their pens on their adorable little post its and snip it all up with their (child safe) scissors. The name of the brand is 'unbranded' but it's ironically recognizable because of these qualities.

That texture and playfulness has even extended to, funnily enough, a collaboration between Muji and Lego. A combination of papercraft and building block - they specifically sold hole punchers that match up with the dimensions of a Lego stud, so you can make little creations.

It's similar in vibe to Nintendo experimenting with blending physical toys and papercraft with their own technology.

c1077bfe2706b6a82906c37ad8c3a75c.jpg
what-is-the-toy-con-garage-for-nintendo-labo_feature.jpg

Anyways, just a fun little association.

We don't know any of this. It's a name mentioned in a single tool, which is given to all switch devs & they must have known would leak, in like two places in a very incomplete fashion.
Nintendo also must have known Aula would leak from Switch firmware, but they didn't try to hide it. I don't think it matters much to them if the word "Muji" gets out and people start using it when talking about Switch 2, any more than if some other meaningless word, like Aula, gets out and people start using it.

But I do agree that assumptions shouldn't be made about what's going on behind the scenes solely based on what's in that SDK tool. I think the same information is out there in some places where I would be surprised if that was their source of information -- it may not be well hidden, but looking for unused options in an SDK tool is a niche of a niche interest -- but I can't be sure.

Oh...
So either Nintendo managed to "share" data between main storage and microSD, reserving cold storage in microSD, or we're limited to 256GB for full performance and load. And then there's the unknown about Switch 2 game cartridges, which imo, with all the specs info about Switch 2 we got, should be the "main concern" now (cost, efficiency, capacity etc.) instead of clock speed
Oh they definitely will be a concern.

I could also see a storage option in the dock for an m.2 SSD. Or, Nintendo is confident that they can push sd/micro SD express to the market and made some sweet deals with manufacturers cause it's it's in both interests.
Currently we just dont know enough in that regard.

This is just a tangent because codenames don't need to have some significant meaning to their origin, just some thoughts.

The retailer Muji has always reminded me a bit of Nintendo with the vibe of their stationary and supplies. Besides the obvious part of them being both Japanese in origin. Cute, tactile, round, playful, small, some degree of minimalism.

The insides of stores are so peaceful and comfortable and there are kiosks everywhere that encourage you to play with their supplies, to ink with their pens on their adorable little post its and snip it all up with their (child safe) scissors. The name of the brand is 'unbranded' but it's ironically recognizable because of these qualities.

That texture and playfulness has even extended to, funnily enough, a collaboration between Muji and Lego. A combination of papercraft and building block - they specifically sold hole punchers that match up with the dimensions of a Lego stud, so you can make little creations.

It's similar in vibe to Nintendo experimenting with blending physical toys and papercraft with their own technology.

c1077bfe2706b6a82906c37ad8c3a75c.jpg
what-is-the-toy-con-garage-for-nintendo-labo_feature.jpg

Anyways, just a fun little association.
Did you learn any of that from Playfool 😂

Because that's where my mind jumped. They're a channel that's covered Muji products and Nintendo Labo in some really fun ways. Neat to see how things are unfolding.

IMO, if you're typing shit into code, I question if you're making "placeholders". otherwise you're gonna have to go back and replace all that. and pray you haven't passed the name itself to some system you haven't touched
We um, literally have a function called “find in all files” that lets us replace variables across multiple files at same the time.
We literary don't know. There's a chance that the switch uses those, but those are ..

Let's say it this way: SD express 7.1 is 2018, SD express 8 from 2020.

I still haven't seen them in real life.
There are a handful SD express cards available (256gb 100€), but it's normal SD...not micro.

The adaptation of that standard is so extremely slow that 6 years where not enough to get it into the mainstream.

People here talk as if it will be released soon. Na, it's a solution waiting for a problem, that problem may be switch 2 and you'll see adoption of that standard pick up.
But for now nothing is clear, and your best bet is for a short period deleting a hand full of games if you really need the space till we for sure know
I asked a few days ago for someone to link me to a MicroSD Express listing, if one exists, and no one did. It’s hard to imagine Nintendo going with a storage solution that isn’t in the market at this moment, because we know the SoC dates back to about 2022. And I don’t think Nintendo would abandon microSD for a proprietary format since SD compatibility dates back to the Wii era.
Oh...
So either Nintendo managed to "share" data between main storage and microSD, reserving cold storage in microSD, or we're limited to 256GB for full performance and load. And then there's the unknown about Switch 2 game cartridges, which imo, with all the specs info about Switch 2 we got, should be the "main concern" now (cost, efficiency, capacity etc.) instead of clock speed
My guess is that games will need to be installed to Switch 2’s internal storage and the microSD can be used for Switch 1 games and storing extra Switch 2 games. I don’t think Nintendo has technology available to them to make UFS-level speeds possible in a cartridge at a low enough cost. So game installs from cartridge will probably be required.

@Aether I don’t see them putting storage in the dock at all. What happens if you remove your Switch from the dock while a game is running? That’s a big draw of the system which would be lost.

I could also see a storage option in the dock for an m.2 SSD. Or, Nintendo is confident that they can push sd/micro SD express to the market and made some sweet deals with manufacturers cause it's it's in both interests.
Ok got it, thanks for the info!

Did you learn any of that from Playfool 😂

Because that's where my mind jumped. They're a channel that's covered Muji products and Nintendo Labo in some really fun ways. Neat to see how things are unfolding.

Yeahh that's where I learned about the Muji Lego hole puncher.

I've purchased origami paper from Muji before so the papercraft association was always there but it blew my mind that a Lego hole maker existed and that Muji was the one who designed it, but it really all makes perfect sense.

I could see a world in which higher resolution textures and higher definition audio files are downloaded to expandable storage in the dock. These things that would not be needed on the Switch for handheld mode, but I don't know how efficient that sort of thing would really be.

I asked a few days ago for someone to link me to a MicroSD Express listing, if one exists, and no one did. It’s hard to imagine Nintendo going with a storage solution that isn’t in the market at this moment, because we know the SoC dates back to about 2022. And I don’t think Nintendo would abandon microSD for a proprietary format since SD compatibility dates back to the Wii era.
All the major manufacturers announced microSD Express cards just earlier this year that will be released in the latter half of 2024. Perfect timing for Nintendo. There is a very high likelihood that SD Express is the storage solution for the new hardware.

MicroSD Express solutions are to come later this year. By the time Nintendo release the system in 2025, it will be a solution with good availability.

And with a major player using mSD Express (Nintendo), others manufacturers will quickly follow up and release their own solutions to the market, driving prices down and increasing options to consumers.

Your question might have got lost in the mix the last few days, but three different manufacturers announced microSD Express products earlier this year, Samsung, Sandisk and ADATA. All of these should be on the market by the time Switch 2 launches.

When Sony did the presentation showing the PS5 hardware, at the time, they told there wasn't any M2 NMVe that had the specs needed for the external storage solution to it, but that some manufacturers would release in time for the console release. I remeber being really hard to find one to buy when the console released and it was really expensive (at least for the country where I live), so it's not far-fetched to imagine Nintendo doing the same.

About the internal microphone, there have actually been two past firmware updates related to mic functionality. I don't recall if I ever posted about them here; I think a lot of firmware discussion took place on Pipeline and not here, but these went by nearly unremarked upon anyway at the time I did post them.

10.0.0 (Apr 2020) added a system setting called "builtin_microphone_volume", and 16.0.0 (Feb 2023) added "builtin_microphone_analog_boost_gain".

If it was just 10.0.0 it would be tempting to dismiss (canceled Switch Pro amirite), but 16.0.0 adding to it, together with the shipments listings, seems pretty definitive.

Nintendo also must have known Aula would leak from Switch firmware, but they didn't try to hide it. I don't think it matters much to them if the word "Muji" gets out and people start using it when talking about Switch 2, any more than if some other meaningless word, like Aula, gets out and people start using it.

But I do agree that assumptions shouldn't be made about what's going on behind the scenes solely based on what's in that SDK tool. I think the same information is out there in some places where I would be surprised if that was their source of information -- it may not be well hidden, but looking for unused options in an SDK tool is a niche of a niche interest -- but I can't be sure.
They do care to some extent. They tried to hide various aspects of Aula, including its name, but their attempt was half-assed.
It's possible they made a mistake in NNPM and Muji is a real name. We just don't know much, and like you said, shouldn't assume what they're doing outside of NNPM based on this.

CBFrBYV.jpeg

can Switch sucessor run a open world Legend of Zelda game at 1080p 60fps?
Switch 1 could do that if they wanted. Switch 1 can get pretty near that with the games they made instead with enough overclocking.
As of right now, are we able to figure out a rough range of the clock depending on the node and such, or not enough to even figure out a range?
Too many unknowns to get very close, really. Beyond the node, we don't know... how long do they want the battery to last in portable? What battery capacity is there? What kind of cooling will they have to allow higher performance at safe temperatures?
Yea that's exactly what I was expecting. Still hoping it'll be $350 max 😬
I think you gotta give up the dream of something significantly better than the mid-gen OLED model coming in at the same inflation-unadjusted price ~3.5 years later.
Is there any reason people suspect it will be Samsung 8NM besides "Because Nintendo"?

That's the thing I still don't understand. It's been talked many times over how inefficient 8NM, how it will have negative impacts on performance, battery life, and so-on, but some people are still really confident that's what Nintendo will go for because...reasons?

Please humor me. Is there any reason some people are convinced it'll be 8NM besides "Because Nintendo"?
Simplest reason: Every other Ampere product is 8nm.
So getting this straight, Muji as a codename is in doubt, despite it being thought to be the codename for months?

We're less than 10 months from supposed Switch 2 release, shouldn't there be a codename by now?

NX was a codename already at this point of time in relative to NX (Switch) release
Obviously they've been referring to it as something for years already. What we the public hear is pretty irrelevant.
I'm talking more about how Nintendo will need to make it clear whether or not microSD Express cards can run Switch 2 games, and they would need to make it simple. I can absolutely see UHS-1 microSD cards usable for cold storage and playing BC Switch 1 games, while microSD Express can play everything directly. But I don't think they can realistically have a situation where most games play on microSD Express, but certain games that need faster speeds can only run on faster classes of microSD Express.
That's basically already how things work on Switch, though. You can buy any old microSD card and it will function, but Nintendo and certain specific games gives a minimum recommended speed. Go below that, get a worse experience.

If the placeholder is "placeholder," then yes. That's why the word's Japanese meaning is what some of us have been trying to sus out. It'd be like if someone uncovered code from an english-speaking dev that said "codename=tbd" and the internet decided the codename is literally "TBD"

Same vibes with some people deciding that the console is actually called "Switch NG" after Activision (? I forgot lol) talked about it in their internal comms.

I don’t buy the placeholder theory. Why would they do it, I don’t think they really care if someone finds the codename in the code. Either it’s the codename or something entirely else.

I wouldn't be surprised if in time for the launch there was a licensed MicroSD Express card from Samsung, similar to the licensed micro SD Cards.

I was wondering if there would be proprietary storage considering how slow Micro SDs are compared to that 3.1 Flash. Or if you can only play games off the internal storage and only store games off an SD card or even a external SSD plugged into the dock? I just think the speed of the flash storage is there for a reason and Micro SD wouldn't cut it.

Nintendo being a driving force behind new tech still seems strange to me but I guess as long as it's not mandatory, it doesn't hurt.
I am certain Nintendo made a nice bit of revenue from Mario and Zelda branded SD cards that have no functional difference from normal ones, so to do that again but with undoubtedly more expensive MicroSD Express ones would make sense.

I was wondering if there would be proprietary storage considering how slow Micro SDs are compared to that 3.1 Flash. Or if you can only play games off the internal storage and only store games off an SD card or even a external SSD plugged into the dock? I just think the speed of the flash storage is there for a reason and Micro SD wouldn't cut it.
I don't think there will be any external memory options that interrupt the simple "dock and play/undock and play" function of the Switch form.

I know we are just starting to get scraps but man the codename is like the lamest topic of discussion to possibly have. Doesn't mean anything unlike specs or price etc
And this is why Nintendo agents injected it into the conversation so that we wouldn't try to find more parts and specs.

Nintendo being a driving force behind new tech still seems strange to me but I guess as long as it's not mandatory, it doesn't hurt.
Nintendo will be a driving force due to the volume of sales their device can generate for accessories. Switch being so successful and adopting mSD as the external storage of choice made for a revival of the mSD UHS-I format, with multiple vendor and options.

Switch 2, if adopting mSD Express, will generate the same for mSD Express availability, offerings and adoptions just by being the biggest player in the market having it as the standard. Vendors will want to meet the demand.

I know we are just starting to get scraps but man the codename is like the lamest topic of discussion to possibly have. Doesn't mean anything unlike specs or price etc
While most of the discussion have since moved on already, codenames are a regular part of the speculation diet around here. You don't have to participate if you don't think the topic is interesting.

No need to police something that's on topic and is part of the "speculation" umbrella in this thread regarding Switch 2 hardware.

I am certain Nintendo made a nice bit of revenue from Mario and Zelda branded SD cards that have no functional difference from normal ones, so to do that again but with undoubtedly more expensive MicroSD Express ones would make sense.
Nintendo will be a driving force due to the volume of sales their device can generate for accessories. Switch being so successful and adopting mSD as the external storage of choice made for a revival of the mSD UHS-I format, with multiple vendor and options.

Switch 2, if adopting mSD Express, will generate the same for mSD Express availability, offerings and adoptions just by being the biggest player in the market having it as the standard. Vendors will want to meet the demand.
Fair point. I'm just worried these things will cost a fortune. I hope a 256GB isn't like $50.

Not necessarily lame if discussing it helps others focus on things to search for in order to uncover other possible details about Switch 2.

For some reason the special guest will still believe it’s a 8NM.

Excited to see discussion surrounding that.
homelander-the-boys-season3.gif

giphy.gif

He'd find some explanation to make it work in his head. "That's how you can get 8NM and still have 12SM, and smaller than Steam Deck, etc"

About the internal microphone, there have actually been two past firmware updates related to mic functionality. I don't recall if I ever posted about them here; I think a lot of firmware discussion took place on Pipeline and not here, but these went by nearly unremarked upon anyway at the time I did post them.

10.0.0 (Apr 2020) added a system setting called "builtin_microphone_volume", and 16.0.0 (Feb 2023) added "builtin_microphone_analog_boost_gain".

If it was just 10.0.0 it would be tempting to dismiss (canceled Switch Pro amirite), but 16.0.0 adding to it, together with the shipments listings, seems pretty definitive.
Doesn't this kinda confirm the successor will use the same OS unless they let you pair the new controllers to the Switch 1?

Given that the Xbox Series S is sold for a cheap $300, do you think it's possible that the Switch 2 won't actually be around $400 and be sold for $300 like the current Switch? It certainly would make it very affordable like the current Switch and help ensure that there are multiple consoles in a single household.

$400 makes sense with inflation and the expense of more modern parts. The entry-level Steam Deck with a similar LCD screen and 256gig of storage is priced at $400. But given what the XSS costs and wanting to keep the Switch2 affordable for families, I wonder if it'll actually be cheaper.

I wouldn't be surprised if in time for the launch there was a licensed MicroSD Express card from Samsung, similar to the licensed micro SD Cards.
I think Western Digital's more likely to partner with Nintendo on officially licenced microSD Express 7.0 cards than Samsung, considering Western Digital has partnered with Nintendo on officially licenced external flash storage since the Wii, and Western Digital's the first to launch microSD Express 7.0 cards (summer 2024 vs later in 2024).

I don't think there will be any external memory options that interrupt the simple "dock and play/undock and play" function of the Switch form.

True, I do think there's a chance of a proprietary flash memory at 256GB, 500GB and 1TB that you plug into the Switch over MicroSD or the "only play off the internal memory" and anything else on a MicroSD can be stored only, but not played. Just thinking it'll be jarring going from a cheap MicroSD to such a fast internal memory as far as game performance.

Doesn't this kinda confirm the successor will use the same OS unless they let you pair the new controllers to the Switch 1?
Pairing the new controllers doesn't really have anything to do with this since the controllers don't have the microphones. The tablet is the thing with the mic. As for using the same OS, it's almost definitely going to be built on top of the Switch 1. So having features be pushed to the Switch 1 it will never use isn't out of the realm if possibility imo.

Given that the Xbox Series S is sold for a cheap $299, do you think it's possible that the Switch 2 won't actually be around $400 and be sold for the same price like the current Switch? It certainly would make it very affordable like the current Switch and help ensure that there are multiple consoles in a singe household.

$400 makes sense with inflation and the expense of more modern parts. The entry-level Steam Deck with a similar LCD screen and 256gig of storage is priced at $400. But given what the XSS costs and wanting to keep the Switch2 affordable for families, I wonder if it'll actually be cheaper.

The Series S lost around or more than $200 per unit at launch and was subsidized by Microsoft Azure and Windows profits with the hope that Xbox was finally going to become popular this gen.

... This is probably one of the reasons why Microsoft seems to be moving to being third-party.

The successor will 100% definitely use the same OS, which is why it's been getting massive updates for the last several major versions, even though Nintendo is adding barely anything in the way of new features for the current models.

But it's important to note the distinction between OS, meaning the kernel and firmware that runs the system, and "OS" as in "home menu and applets and features and stuff." The latter can still change anywhere from a little to a lot with the successor, even though the underlying operating system is really the same.

No, we linked you to better evidence ;)

Here is the documentation of Nvidia engineers adding SD Express support to Drake. Remember, it's a totally custom chip, there is no need to dedicate an entire PCI-e lane to a technology they don't intend to use.
soc: tegra: fuse: enable apbmisc_base access for T239

Enable apbmisc_base register space access for Tegra239 chips,
as this is required for various API's in SD express mode.

Here is the press release from Samsung saying they were launching MicroSD Express cards to the open market at the explicit request of an unknown "customer"
For the first time in the industry, Samsung introduced a new high-performance microSD card based on the SD Express interface. The development was the result of a successful collaboration with a customer to create a custom product.

The 256GB SD Express microSD card will be made available for purchase later this year,
and the 1TB UHS-1 microSD card is set to launch within the third quarter of this year.

Here is the Western Digital press release with similar target launch dates.
SanDisk SD and microSD Express cards are expected to be available at authorized retailers, e-tailers and the Western Digital store this summer.

And like I said at the time, if Nintendo didn't want to support fast storage, they'd just continue to use the hardware and technology they already have to support microSD cards, with which microSD express cards are intercompatible. Nintendo can simply wire up the extra PCI-e lane to the hardware they already have, tell their existing storage partners (Samsung is one of the sources of current game cards and Muji game cards, San Disk makes the Nintendo branded micro SD cards now) "we plan on shipping 100 million microsd express readers over the next 7 years" and let the market sort it out.

It's a very low cost solution that totally bypasses the engineering complexity of "hot/cold" storage or the customer backlash of forcing manual storage management, or proprietary cards.

True, I do think there's a chance of a proprietary flash memory at 256GB, 500GB and 1TB that you plug into the Switch over MicroSD or the "only play off the internal memory" and anything else on a MicroSD can be stored only, but not played. Just thinking it'll be jarring going from a cheap MicroSD to such a fast internal memory as far as game performance.
Considering that it will come with 256 GB of internal memory, I do not think there will be a huge initial demand for memory expansion.

Also I think we forget how much more expensive micro SD was in 2017 when the Switch launched compared to today, the prices have come down massively in that time.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom