• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Okay but do yall have any way of knowing it's the actual, final codename and not just a placeholder? Considering what that word means in Japanese it really seems like a placeholder. A native Japanese speaker even said so.
IMO, if you're typing shit into code, I question if you're making "placeholders". otherwise you're gonna have to go back and replace all that. and pray you haven't passed the name itself to some system you haven't touched

UE5.4 write up

-Significantly improves CPU performance
-Improved lighting though it comes with flickering that must be improved on.
-Interesting use of Nanite for character models though this is very far away from being used
-Traversal stutter is not fixed

Video version for any interested. Worth nothing that the CPU performance improvements are more noticeable on lower end systems. Food for thought, considering Switch 2's limitations in comparison to the big boy machines.

Out of curiosity, how is @LiC pronounced? Is it like "el eye see", or more like (switch 2) "leak"? Is it an acronym maybe?
I'm a child of the 80s so I've been pronouncing it like DiC

So I guess like "leak"

Yeah I'd like to know the proper way too 😅

Also, am I the only one that recognizes Fami users by their avatar pictures, and then get super confused for a while when they change it to something else?
Oh you're not alone, I'm the same way.

And it's not just us, either. You shoulda seen how people in other threads were reacting when I simply made my Sonic plushie frown for a while. Or when I made it a Sonic Wohoy for a while. 🤣

Now that I'm all caught up, can someone expound on what the lpddr5x controller means? For instance, can it be used to more easily put in faster (>7500mt/s) memory down the road for a potential mid generation refresh?
Maybe it supports a faster 5X, but it doesn't matter for Nintendo.

If they decide to do a stronger Switch they will have to modify/shirnk the SoC and they can change the controller at that point, like Mariko added LPDDR4X support.

And if the revision isn't meant to be stronger, they will keep the RAM clock the same despite using a module which could go faster. Once again, like Mariko using 4X modules at 4's speed.

50 minutes?? I find GVG to be pretty alright so hopefully they didn't feed their viewers "It's a portable Series S!". I'd be pretty disappointed if so.

edit: 10 minutes in. Not too bad... but they brought up the Capcom increasing the Switch's ram story lol.

They got some wild takes. 3gb OS??? Dock with expandable storage?? They don't seem to know about the MicroSD Express stuff.

Steve seems pretty convinced the OS will need to be big for social features like VC, messaging, etc. Imo, I don't see Nintendo adding those features in for awhile. It's a big safety hazard for children and, maybe this is just a personal anecdote, most people just use 3rd party apps to communicate anyway.

Ok honestly there's not much to this video at all. Watched it at 1.5x speed. I think I'm gonna make a forum post asking a question about a major part of this video tho.
I had to turn that video off lmao

IMO, if you're typing shit into code, I question if you're making "placeholders". otherwise you're gonna have to go back and replace all that. and pray you haven't passed the name itself to some system you haven't touched
I do that kind of stuff regularly though.. search & replace. It's no biggie, and if the code has good test coverage, errors should crop up if renaming is missed somewhere.

But yeah, I agree in principle if the screenshot of code we saw was for something that had already went live (went int production). Potential ripple effects that could get ugly if one does actually have to replace "Muji" with something else after the code have already went live. Although I don't think it matters that much either particularly if it's something that doesn't go beyond an API endpoint. Underlying code can change as much as it wants to as long as API responses don't change.

(disclaimer: I don't know where the code in screenshot came from, I'm assuming it's part of Unity library/SDK? based on other context in the screenshot)

Last edited:
Okay but do yall have any way of knowing it's the actual, final codename and not just a placeholder? Considering what that word means in Japanese it really seems like a placeholder. A native Japanese speaker even said so.

At this point, is there really any difference between a placeholder and a codename? If Muji is being used internally and referred to by the devkit for years up until the hardware release, it's a codename.

Out of curiosity, how is @LiC pronounced? Is it like "el eye see", or more like (switch 2) "leak"? Is it an acronym maybe?

Also, am I the only one that recognizes Fami users by their avatar pictures, and then get super confused for a while when they change it to something else?
You know, that's a good question. I think when I first made the handle it sounded like Hi-C (the juice) in my head, but "el eye see" is what it is now.

It's not an acronym, but it is an abbreviation.

At this point, is there really any difference between a placeholder and a codename?
If the placeholder is "placeholder," then yes. That's why the word's Japanese meaning is what some of us have been trying to sus out. It'd be like if someone uncovered code from an english-speaking dev that said "codename=tbd" and the internet decided the codename is literally "TBD"

It may be a bit offensive, but what I'm trying to say is that I really hate the auto-on microphone forced communication scheme on the ps5.And while I've encountered several instances of very poor quality Chinese and American students in online play (Japan is better due to its overly public etiquette), I don't want to shoehorn a microphone into switch2 to result in voice attacks on each other similar to the Splatoon pvp, and I'd prefer to still not have a voice chat system implanted into the game.

If they are putting in a microphone are we thinking a complete reworking of online play to make it more in line with PSN/Xbox's online stuff? Can't really see any other reason to include a microphone in this.

I could see Nintendo embracing voice chat more with the rise of automatic offensive language detection via machine learning.

If they are putting in a microphone are we thinking a complete reworking of online play to make it more in line with PSN/Xbox's online stuff? Can't really see any other reason to include a microphone in this.
Well considering the microphone is only on the console itself, it would probably be used for something like DS games on NSO, rather than voice chat. I'm guessing people's set ups don't have their Switches right next to them, so trying to VC by screaming at the Switch several feet away while sound comes through the TV... That just seems like the Wii Speak all over again. And we know how well that went.

Nintendo used the microphones in the DS/3DS for quirky stuff like Mario Party mini games and Miitomo - I could see them wanting one in the Switch 2 for similar reasons.

If the placeholder is "placeholder," then yes. That's why the word's Japanese meaning is what some of us have been trying to sus out. It'd be like if someone uncovered code from an english-speaking dev that said "codename=tbd" and the internet decided the codename is literally "TBD"
That's only true if "muji" is actually used as a placeholder in Japanese, like "TBD" is in English. TBD is also not the name of an American retailer.

Well considering the microphone is only on the console itself, it would probably be used for something like DS games on NSO, rather than voice chat. I'm guessing people's set ups don't have their Switches right next to them, so trying to VC by screaming at the Switch several feet away while sound comes through the TV... That just seems like the Wii Speak all over again. And we know how well that went.

Is it on the console or on the joycons.

So far the evidence suggests it is only on the console itself. In other words, the tablet.
I'm pretty sure LiC found mic in other place too, probably the joycon. double checking his post now.

edit: don't see any other place. my overactive imagination.

That's only true if "muji" is actually used as a placeholder in Japanese, like "TBD" is in English.
Which is why I assumed it was significant that a Japanese speaker came in here and almost immediately said it struck them as a placeholder.
TBD is also not the name of an American retailer.
But the reason the Muji retailer is even named that is because of the meaning of the word being "plain or unbranded." And why would Nintendo pick the name of a retailer as a codename?

If it really is the actual codename then okay, rad. I just really feel like there's a possibility that we're jumping on something without understanding the language it came from.

Which is why I assumed it was significant that a Japanese speaker came in here and almost immediately said it struck them as a placeholder.
That's not the same thing as it being a word that's actually used as a placeholder. If it's actually used as a placeholder, there should be some examples to point to.

And why would Nintendo pick the name of a retailer as a codename?
Why did they pick the name of an airport as the codename for the 3DS?

Last edited:
Why did they pick the name of an airport as the codename for the 3DS?
I keep seeing mention of this but I don't know what the 3DS codename was. So I googled it and apparently it was "Citrus?" Seems more in line with the codename Cafe than with Nintendo literally naming it after an airport.

Unless I'm really missing something

Which I probably am, to be fair 😅

You got a point but all I can see is people at Nintendo having conversation like,

"How progress going on placeholder?"
"Not bad, our third party partners really wanted 16gb but I don't think that's possible if we want to keep placeholder at $400"
"Oh really? Did you manage to fix the problem with NintendoPlaceholder.KLinkedListNode ?"
"Yes. There was a problem with NintendoPlaceholder.KObjectAllocator"
"Great. I will present that at the placeholder meeting at 11"

Re: Codename

I think ya'll can tell I've been kinda avoiding the conversation. Some of you may remember the troubles I had the last time I tried to play leaker, and I vowed to not do it anymore (at least not directly, only sending my info on to others and only when I thought it would be safe). Please don't ask me any follow up questions about this, just laying it out to clear the air. Not putting in hide tags because all it does it encourage people to copy it elsewhere, and I'm not gonna say anything that's gonna risk anyone's job.

Yes, I knew about Gimle, and I've known about it for a couple of years, actually. It was pretty easy to infer that the name did not refer to the whole console, but that it was the equivalent of Switch's Odin, the Nvidia code name for the motherboard. The Nvidia Shield motherboard also had a Norse myth codename associated with it, but I can't recall, but regardless, it was obvious what that's what it was.

Yes, I knew about Muji. I have thought the placeholder theory always made sense, but I also have a reason to believe (which I will not discuss here) that it is a legitimate project name. I personally don't care one way or the other. We've said that it was useful as a shibboleth but that's not actually what made me interested in the name. Data about internal Nvidia projects winds up in the public source code or documentation all the time, but if you don't know what the string of letters refers to, then you can't infer anything from it. And Nvidia has gotten better about realizing when the internet has caught on and rehiding that information.

To my knowledge, nothing showed up in public records attached to Muji. Shrug.

There was the silliness a while back with "NX2" and a certain YouTuber using a post I made to claim I had confirmed that as the codename. That was the beginning of this whole thing getting extremely silly in a way that affected me IRL. I'll clarify now that I had heard NX2 used as a reference to Switch Next... but not by developers who seemed to be working on projects for Switch 2. It was just a shorthand that some devs I knew were using to refer to "whatever devkit Nintendo sends out for the next thing" and not a name that (to my knowledge) was ever used by Nintendo.

The Switch itself came out of something at Nintendo called Project Indy. The code name NX seems to have been applied after the name Switch was picked! That name was used to communicate with partners and with the public, without divulging anything about the still-in-progress hardware. Nvidia used Odin to refer to the Switch's motherboard, and Erista and Mariko were used as codenames for the chips inside.

I think you can see from this there is no "one" code name. Whether "Muji" is the equivalent of "Indy" or "NX" or a third thing (like a placeholder) I do not know. A friend, who is a Buddhist, refers to the concept of "Mu" in Buddhism as roughly corresponding to "a question so silly it doesn't deserve an answer." The question "what is the codename" in a world where there are project names, product names, board names, chip names and possibly even "different translations of the name" I think is pretty, well, mu.

Now that it is in the open, the most useful thing "Muji" can do for us, as fan-detectives, is give us a name for the device that isn't "Switch 2" and isn't stuck in some kind of constant spiral about whether its a good name, or accurately describes the device. I find it more than a little ironic that this means we can effectively replace the word [REDACTED] with a Japanese word that roughly means [NOTHING TO SEE HERE].

You got a point but all I can see is people at Nintendo having conversation like,

"How progress going on placeholder?"
"Not bad, our third party partners really wanted 16gb but I don't think that's possible if we want to keep placeholder at $400"
"Oh really? Did you manage to fix the problem with NintendoPlaceholder.KLinkedListNode ?"
"Yes. There was a problem with NintendoPlaceholder.KObjectAllocator"
"Great. I will present that at the placeholder meeting at 11"
If people at Nintendo were referring to it in conversation as placeholder then I agree that'd be weird.

But do we know how Nintendo has been referring to it in conversation?

2Hnz3Hh.png

Was it literally named after an airport, or was CTR an abbreviation for Citrus?

We literary don't know. There's a chance that the switch uses those, but those are ..

Let's say it this way: SD express 7.1 is 2018, SD express 8 from 2020.

I still haven't seen them in real life.
There are a handful SD express cards available (256gb 100€), but it's normal SD...not micro.

The adaptation of that standard is so extremely slow that 6 years where not enough to get it into the mainstream.

People here talk as if it will be released soon. Na, it's a solution waiting for a problem, that problem may be switch 2 and you'll see adoption of that standard pick up.
But for now nothing is clear, and your best bet is for a short period deleting a hand full of games if you really need the space till we for sure know
Oh...
So either Nintendo managed to "share" data between main storage and microSD, reserving cold storage in microSD, or we're limited to 256GB for full performance and load. And then there's the unknown about Switch 2 game cartridges, which imo, with all the specs info about Switch 2 we got, should be the "main concern" now (cost, efficiency, capacity etc.) instead of clock speed

I keep seeing mention of this but I don't know what the 3DS codename was. So I googled it and apparently it was "Citrus?" Seems more in line with the codename Cafe than with Nintendo literally naming it after an airport.

What Feet said. For the longest time it was thought that 3DS CTR codename meant Citrus and the emulator was even named after it. But in the Gigaleak files, it was found an 2006 e-mail that showed that CTR actually meant Centrair.
2Hnz3Hh.png

Was it literally named after an airport, or was CTR an abbreviation for Citrus?
CTR = Centrair. Citrus is wrongly made-up and actually was thought to be what CTR meant

The officially communicated 3DS codename is just CTR. People speculated for a long time what that meant, with Citrus being a common assumption. But there was a contemporaneous e-mail in the gigaleak that reveals it was based on Centrair, the name of an airport. They shortened it to CTR to pattern it after NTR (the abbreviation of Nitro, the DS's codename). All models after the original Nitro (so Lite, DSi, 3DS, 2DS, etc. etc.) were officially abbreviated to three letters for whatever reason instead of having full codenames like Nitro or Cafe.

There was "confirmation" of Citrus from SciresM because some testing application's icon file was called "CiTRus," I think? But you can see from the capitalization they're just riffing on "CTR."

Was ODNX01-A2 ever used in retail units or was it pre-production?

All of the 20nm models I've seen or worked on had ODNX02-A2
It was exclusively pre-prod.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
I'd say it's more likely they made revisions/changes to T239 than a total swap (I just noted a total swap as a possibility since that's what happened w/ mariko), such as the hypothetical swap to LPDDR5X.

As far as I can tell, wherever NX appeared behind the scenes, in the SDK or documentation, Muji is what appeared for the new console. This is a very strong indication.
If Muji is being used internally and referred to by the devkit for years up until the hardware release, it's a codename.
We don't know any of this. It's a name mentioned in a single tool, which is given to all switch devs & they must have known would leak, in like two places in a very incomplete fashion.

"Leaky pros at Centro Leaks"

200.webp
Whats funny is that I know the person behind centro leaks personally, he is behind "centro pokemon" which is like the spanish version of cerebii, we studied together in college, he basically reads forums like 4chan, reddit, famiboards all day compiling "leaks" I cant imagine he has any sources of his own.

What Feet said. For the longest time it was thought that 3DS CTR codename meant Citrus and the emulator was even named after it. But in the Gigaleak files, it was found an 2006 e-mail that showed that CTR actually meant Centrair.
Gotcha, thanks for that (y)

Edit: thanks also to @LiC and @LuigiBlood for the added context, whose posts didn't pop up on my side until after I had already replied 😅

But the reason the Muji retailer is even named that is because of the meaning of the word being "plain or unbranded." And why would Nintendo pick the name of a retailer as a codename?

If it really is the actual codename then okay, rad. I just really feel like there's a possibility that we're jumping on something without understanding the language it came from.

Meaning & History
From Japanese 夢 (mu) meaning "dream" combined with 治 (ji) meaning "govern, regulate, administer". This name can be constructed from other kanji combinations as well.

Imagine Nintendo doing a play on a past game console and this stands for "Dream Regulator"... 😆

We don't know any of this. It's a name mentioned in a single tool, which is given to all switch devs & they must have known would leak, in like two places in a very incomplete fashion.
See this ☝️ is what I'm talking about when I ask if we know Nintendo is actually referring to Mugi internally or if it's just a placeholder in a couple spots of code.

Meaning & History
From Japanese 夢 (mu) meaning "dream" combined with 治 (ji) meaning "govern, regulate, administer". This name can be constructed from other kanji combinations as well.

Imagine Nintendo doing a play on a past game console and this stands for "Dream Regulator"... 😆
OMG with the new Sega revival games coming maybe this really is the Dreamcast 2 I've been hoping for ❤️

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom