• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I work with this sort of stuff on a daily basis and can instantly tell (way too heavy utilization of adjectives), but you can also use tools that check writing for signs of being AI-generated like GPTZero and immediately see that it's absolutely written by AI. GPTZero, in this case, is highly confident that it is AI-written.

If that's not enough, though, one look at the profile tells you that they utilize AI-generated imagery in many posts, and their website is rife with AI-generated garbage.

The posting was written by AI and is unimportant in the larger conversation about Nintendo's next gen.
Anyway, it does not affect anything whether they use AI or not in the matter that they are hiring for a medium-sized project that will be released on the next Nintendo console.

As you said, the AI detail is not relevant to any part of the conversation.

On the other hand, the fact that they are hiring for the next generation of Nintendo is relevant.
We just don't know the studio but since they are talking about an AA project and they have used a recruiter to find employees, it is most likely a medium or small independent studio.

Last edited:
The reason for avoiding the Gamescom is apparently because Nintendo is confirmed to have a new console launch in the fall, probably September or October.
Please refrain from such statements unless you add some sort of context or info you have from a source.

Don't take this personally, but the last thing we need here is another round of rumors based on nothing.

Please refrain from such statements unless you add some sort of context or info you have from a source.

Don't take this personally, but the last thing we need here is another round of rumors based on nothing.
Sorry, it was an inaccurate expression, I have edited it and the statement was merely speculation on my part.

In the latest Digital Foundry Direct Weekly, Rich flat out states that the Switch 2 will be less powerful than the Steam Deck and Series S, but it won’t matter since ports will be built specifically for the hardware.

It was question 8 of this week’s podcast

I don't envy the position they're in. Every estimation they'd make would be taken as a gospel and it'll create a string of articles by multiple outlets (e.g. too big for Switch). I think one positive effect of underestimations is that;
  • If the Switch 2 hardware in reality is better than expected, then it'll be a positive surprise for many and any relative comparisons would be Nintendo magic, because of the advantage of bespoke hardware and software.
  • If it's as expected or a bit worse, then they were right in lowballing the expectations and they won't have a negative feedback loop by the audience if they expected more.

Was TSMC 7nm that terrible of a node for game consoles and desktop GPU hardware, resulting in newer PS5 & Xbox models jumping so quickly to TSMC 6nm?
Nah, TSMC 7nm was actually a pretty great node. Much better than Samsung 8nm in terms of power efficiency and performance. The reason that Nvidia and Sony jumped away from it was cost savings, but for completely different reasons.

The last few big node jumps have not been what they used to be. Nodes have taken longer to mature, and offered smaller and smaller jumps for higher and higher costs. TSMC 7nm was a great node, but the yields - the number of chips per wafer that were usable - were not great at launch. Nvidia didn't like that, and they don't like relying on just one foundry partner, it gets them stuck.

Samsung offered Nvidia a deal where they didn't pay by the wafers - which is standard - instead, they paid by the usable chip. If the yields were bad on 8nm (which they apparently were at the beginning) Nvidia wasn't left holding the bag, and if Samsung got their yields up (which they did) they stood to make a huge profit. Nvidia's designs were already more power efficient than AMD's at the time, so Nvidia could afford to get the less power efficient node and still deliver comparable performance.

The reason that Sony jumped to TSMC 6nm wasnt about the cost of the chip, but the cost of the whole PS5. TSMC 6nm is "just" an optimized version of TSMC 7nm. It's slightly smaller and slightly more power efficient. I dunno if the chips themselves are cheaper, but they're definitely cooler and Sony pays a lot of money for the huge cooling system in the PS5. It's expensive to buy, it's heavy, which makes it expensive to ship, and it's large, which makes PS5s expensive to store.

TSMC 6nm helps shave off some of those costs. As does the change to a removable optical drive, and the other half dozen revisions that Sony has made internally. It's the same logic as the Slim models in the past - sell the console at a loss, wait for a node shrink, use node shrink to make smaller, cheaper model. The Slim was cheaper to buy for consumers, but the cost cut internally was much higher than the price cut, so Sony actually made more money on them.

That wasn't happening this gen, so Sony has been stuck trying to shave off pennies here and there. Microsoft saw the writing on the wall earlier, and realized the only way to offer a cost cut was to make the device less powerful. You can't make a device less powerful mid-gen, old games won't work. That's why MS launched with the Series S and X at the same time.

In the latest Digital Foundry Direct Weekly, Rich flat out states that the Switch 2 will be less powerful than the Steam Deck and Series S, but it won’t matter since ports will be built specifically for the hardware.

It was question 8 of this week’s podcast
Technically yeah, but it’ll have DLSS, some Nvidia magic and developers will make dedicated ports for the switch 2.

Like there’s so much we don’t know about the switch 2, like bandwidth, Ram and Node.

Like the discussion of Nintendo NG will always come to ,, because Nintendo’’

Even if Nintendo provides a console that has exceeded our expectations, there will always be controversies of it being the weakest consoles of the big three.

Maybe I'm just a painfully optimistic person, but I don't get the dooming from Nintendo not showing up at Gamescom 2024. It's in summer 2024. While it's entirely possible they're skipping because they have nothing to show, I think it's equally as likely that they're skipping because they'll be going all out for Switch 2's launch and marketing. Maybe they didn't have room in their schedule or their budget to make it.

Regardless of what it is though, I definitely think the leaks scared them off. On the bright side, I guess that might mean they're true?

Nah, TSMC 7nm was actually a pretty great node. Much better than Samsung 8nm in terms of power efficiency and performance. The reason that Nvidia and Sony jumped away from it was cost savings, but for completely different reasons.

The last few big node jumps have not been what they used to be. Nodes have taken longer to mature, and offered smaller and smaller jumps for higher and higher costs. TSMC 7nm was a great node, but the yields - the number of chips per wafer that were usable - were not great at launch. Nvidia didn't like that, and they don't like relying on just one foundry partner, it gets them stuck.

Samsung offered Nvidia a deal where they didn't pay by the wafers - which is standard - instead, they paid by the usable chip. If the yields were bad on 8nm (which they apparently were at the beginning) Nvidia wasn't left holding the bag, and if Samsung got their yields up (which they did) they stood to make a huge profit. Nvidia's designs were already more power efficient than AMD's at the time, so Nvidia could afford to get the less power efficient node and still deliver comparable performance.

The reason that Sony jumped to TSMC 6nm wasnt about the cost of the chip, but the cost of the whole PS5. TSMC 6nm is "just" an optimized version of TSMC 7nm. It's slightly smaller and slightly more power efficient. I dunno if the chips themselves are cheaper, but they're definitely cooler and Sony pays a lot of money for the huge cooling system in the PS5. It's expensive to buy, it's heavy, which makes it expensive to ship, and it's large, which makes PS5s expensive to store.

TSMC 6nm helps shave off some of those costs. As does the change to a removable optical drive, and the other half dozen revisions that Sony has made internally. It's the same logic as the Slim models in the past - sell the console at a loss, wait for a node shrink, use node shrink to make smaller, cheaper model. The Slim was cheaper to buy for consumers, but the cost cut internally was much higher than the price cut, so Sony actually made more money on them.

That wasn't happening this gen, so Sony has been stuck trying to shave off pennies here and there. Microsoft saw the writing on the wall earlier, and realized the only way to offer a cost cut was to make the device less powerful. You can't make a device less powerful mid-gen, old games won't work. That's why MS launched with the Series S and X at the same time.
I see, thank you for all the explanations so far! You know it's kind of amazing how much i've learned about all this stuff being discussed and speculated here just from lurking and occassionally posting. If someone asked me what a process node or a wafer is, i definitely wouldn't have been able to give an answer but now i can, somewhat at least. I hope you didn't mind putting so much time into answering any of my questions i might've been able to google myself haha.

ah, so that's what the wedge is for (stacking). Interesting design for sure (obviously since it's a devkit, they can take liberties)
Yeah we (devs) stack them on shelves and run multiple instances of the game and run automation tests
So it’s like a room of systems and big fans haha

I see, thank you for all the explanations so far! You know it's kind of amazing how much i've learned about all this stuff being discussed and speculated here just from lurking and occassionally posting. If someone asked me what a process node or a wafer is, i definitely wouldn't have been able to give an answer but now i can, somewhat at least. I hope you didn't mind putting so much time into answering any of my questions i might've been able to google myself haha.
Not at all! My background had nothing to do with games, and I've learned a lot of this from the thread myself!

Did he frame it as speculation on his part, or did he state that with complete certainty?
His discussion around pricing (believes it’ll be $399) sounded like speculation. His answer on power sounded definitive
I think that section of the video is worth seeing in full, for the whole nuance. I think some people are taking him to refer to the Steam Deck when he was referring to the Series S in one place. Here is a lightly edited transcript, emphasis mine

Rich: We've already covered the concept of basically transferring Series S performance into a handheld. It can't be done for a long, long, time.
This is just fact. Worth noting that the question is asking about a "console priced $399" device. I'm sure someone is going to make a 10 pound, handcrafted Series S handheld one day, but that's obviously not what Rich is taking about

However when you're looking at Switch 2, you're looking at a very different type of device which is an Nvidia powered machine which is built on a very, very different architecture. That has ray tracing support hardware built into it, you know, it should scale quite nicely. It's got DLSS which means that um you can render from much lower resolutions and it will still look decent. So yeah I don't buy this concept that it's going to be more powerful than a Steam Deck or even you know close to Series S it's just not going to happen,
Rich is speaking from his own benchmarks, and I think he's completely right. AMD has that huge raster advantage, and overcoming it on Drake would take a handheld clock somewhere in the neighborhood of 750 Mhz for Steam Deck and a 1.7GHz docked close for a Series S. It's just not feasible. But r

but it shouldn't need to, because you'll be getting bespoke ports built to the quality level afforded by the hardware capabilities of the Switch 2. And if you look at what the Switch 1 did in comparison to the to the, you know, the poverty nature of the specification that it had I think it was a triumph, and I expect to see the same thing happening with Switch 2.
Yeah, but who cares if the games look just as good, or arguably better. Oliver follows up
Oliver: Yeah I think with the Super Switch - or Switch 2, or whatever you want to call it - I wouldn't think of it as like a static quantity.
This is a point that a lot of folks don't always see - AMD/ATI's technology has dominated the console space for so long, you really could think of consoles as one number and compare them, when it came to performance. Switch upended that - not only was it Nvidia tech instead of AMD, it was also solid state storage while the other consoles were spinning hard drives. That matters.

I would say the raw rendering power is one thing, and we could say that's maybe roughly in the ballpark of last gen consoles.
Just a reminder that the Xbox One was 1.3 TFLOPS and the One X was 6 TFLOPS. That's a big ballpark.

Then you have storage, the CPU, the GPU features
Oliver isn't just talking about DLSS and RT here, or even mesh shaders. The full DX12 Suite is basically defined by "what is in the current Xbox console" but DirectX is adding machine learning capabilities in prep for the next Xbox console, and Nvidia already has it
and those are all ahead of last gen consoles to some degree or another and might be able to be exploited to some degree depending on the game and that might let it punch up above its weight. But it will depend on the game. It might be viable for some titles targeting certain resolutions, may not be viable for others when it comes to technologies like DLSS for instance.
Yeah, this is another thing that AMD's dominance of consoles makes it hard to see - some games really favor these technologies, some don't. There isn't one number tha
So I would say, like, is it more powerful, is it as powerful as a series S? I don't think those combinations of technologies will allow it to be as powerful as the series S, I really doubt that. But could it punch above its weight, could it achieve a better result than a steam deck? Sure but, I wouldn't call that being more powerful necessarily I would just say it's using its power differently, sort of, that's how I would think
I might disagree a little with Oliver here, as I think Series S lookalikes are more achievable than he thinks, but as we've discussed, the questions about "what mode are we talking about" can make this conversation tricky. On to Alex

Alex: Absolutely, that's all I would say too, like, it's going to be using different technologies to achieve its results than what a series s would have. And itt's also going to have extremely different - you know Steam Deck has a limited battery life, the OLED is better at this, but I think Switch is going to be targeting better battery life than even a steam deck OLED.
This is an important point - they're speculating slightly based on the idea that Nintendo wants a sane battery life for this thing. You know, maybe Nintendo really could crank this chip up to 11 and deliver steam deck power + nvidia tech, but Nintendo doesn't want a "handheld" you can play for only an hour. And that's a good thing!

like how long you can play a game for - I presume based on the the OG Switch. So it's constraints are different, and you have to balance that always into the equation like the power is not the only thing that matters and it's more about the experiences it allows and also how how long can I actually play this thing while uh jetting across the Atlantic or Pacific
As someone who leaves his Steam Deck behind while travelling, this is a big one to me. I would prefer that extra 20% battery life and a slightly lighter, smaller device over that extra 20% of performance.

This made me think: what's stopping nintendo on switch 2 from following the ps5's physical media approach? (that is, taking the media from a slow cartridge and installing it into the console's internal storage).

They could go for a 128 and 256GB model switch 2 or 256/512GB and have cartridges that are cheap because they're slow (but just updated enough with new security features so people can't dump them using the MIG dumping tool). And the UFS 3 storage inside the switch would be as fast as the expandable sd express card.
Anything that involves managing the fridge becomes pretty unappealing pretty fast for the people who would spend the most on games. Wii eventually updated with a system where it could automatically transfer downloaded games to the internal storage before running them, but WiiWare games maxed out at 40MB versus potentially 100+GB.

What? That logic doesn't follow.

If they have a new console to reveal, it wouldn't be at GamesCom, and if it's not out for nearly a year, they wouldn't be up to demoing it ar GamesCom. If anything this means they're pulling back from events where they'd normally push Nintendo Switch.

GamesCom just isn't a good fit for a new console that isn't even out yet. Nintendo would much prefer to control their own demonstrations of it, control their own marketing, and depend on no-one else. Once it's out in the wild, then show it off at next GamesCom.
It's not about making a big announcement and show for consumers at gamescom it's about the opportunity it provides for nintendo to show off development tools for the new console to devs.

Would be extremely weird for nintendo to skip an important place to show off those development tools to devs for a console that's been announced, so it's safe to assume it won't be announced this summer.

Late 2025 onward and this system does start to look very outdated.

A cutting edge 2026 system would have three generations (!) of NVIDIA architectural improvements and LPDDR6 and mobile OLED screens seem to be getting cheaper as well.

Late 2025 would just come off as a massive fuckup compared to just designing a system that launched in 2026. Missing FP4 in particular I could see being a really big deal for the Switch 2 as DLSS is fairly expensive and ray reconstruction is extremely expensive for its core count and I wouldn't be shocked at all to see a faster DLSS being made using FP4.

A cutting edge 2026 system would have three generations (!) of NVIDIA architectural improvements and LPDDR6 and mobile OLED screens seem to be getting cheaper as well.

Late 2025 would just come off as a massive fuckup compared to just designing a system that launched in 2026. Missing FP4 in particular I could see being a really big deal for the Switch 2 as DLSS is fairly expensive and ray reconstruction is extremely expensive for its core count and I wouldn't be shocked at all to see a faster DLSS being made using FP4.
I personally think missing late 2024 is already a mistake. I used to think 2025 was next to impossible.

Re: Switch 2 with be outdated because the direct comparison will be with the OG Switch. For all intents and purposes, the successor is a tech wonder compared to the Switch, and will forever be deemed weak when compared with Xbox/PS5 and now the Pro

and will forever be deemed weak when compared with Xbox/PS5 and now the Pro
It's a portable console so anyone who makes a comparison like this is silly. The gap between Switch 2 and the other 9th gen consoles is much smaller than Switch 1 and the 8th gen consoles anyway, and we also now have Steam Deck to compare Switch 2 with.

I do think there's a decent chance they will not release this system until Mario Next and Pokemon ZA are ready and they're just really uncertain about when those two will release.

The total silence about anything has been a bit worrying as this needs to be announced in a press release within a month if it's releasing before April 2025.

It's not about making a big announcement and show for consumers at gamescom it's about the opportunity it provides for nintendo to show off development tools for the new console to devs.

Would be extremely weird for nintendo to skip an important place to show off those development tools to devs for a console that's been announced, so it's safe to assume it won't be announced this summer.
They showed it off last GamesCom and have direct communication channels with their developers.

This train of thought just doesn't make sense to me. By this logic, they were at GamesCom last year, so it should have been announced that season, and wasn't.

Nintendo doesn't need GamesCom to maintain their relationship with developers, anyone on board for launch is on board, it's likely less than a year. The courting for launch games is over, the support for games post launch happens behind closed doors with select developers.

That and the confidentiality concerns from last GamesCom, how on earth can this mean... Anything?

imo, I think people underestimate Machine Learning models potentially getting better and being updated overtime. Even on existing Tensor Core hardware. I think that means the Switch 2 is slightly, slightly future-proof.

I do think there's a decent chance they will not release this system until Mario Next and Pokemon ZA are ready and they're just really uncertain about when those two will release.

The total silence about anything has been a bit worrying as this needs to be announced in a press release within a month if it's releasing before April 2025.

Starting to accept that the closest we'll get is some bullshitty vague (or vaguely bullshit) note/remark at or in the briefing.

Really hoping there's a fun gimmick at least. Power upgrade that in the grand scheme is outdated makes things seem a lot less exciting. Especially if Xbox and Playstation are entering back into the handheld market.

Ok here's a hot take, Nintendo should maybe announce this thing soon perhaps.

I think we're panicking too much about Nintendo not going to Gamescom. All that really matters regarding when the Switch 2 releases is whether or not Nintendo releases a PR statement before their May 7th earnings release.

If Nintendo says nothing by the end of the month, then y'all can lose your minds and start talking about this thing being a 2026 system and how Furukawa is a hack.

Rich is speaking from his own benchmarks, and I think he's completely right. AMD has that huge raster advantage, and overcoming it on Drake would take a handheld clock somewhere in the neighborhood of 750 Mhz for Steam Deck and a 1.7GHz docked close for a Series S. It's just not feasible. But r

I wonder how much part of the equation or discussion point would shift if Rich's had his hand on an Ada laptop with the RTX 4050 (even despite it's larger size)
I think there's some serious power efficiency that could put it closer to the "Series S" performance level on the CPU & GPU front. Both of these components, going by the data that's out there, could present a handheld where no one would say that it's outdated at launch IMO.

However this point would be based on an ideal scenario where the T239 is on a smaller process node TMSC's 4N (NVIDIA) and the known certainty for the T239 is that it's Ampere, which is produced on Samsung's 8nm process node (consumer products). So it's more fantasy speak unless there's a rumour that gives some more hope for a smaller process node.
I guess that's just the fact that I want to know the most, even if it's just to give more battery life and provide less thermal output for a slimmer thermal design
😂 . I think it can really shake up the discussion.

Last edited:
The amount of dooming and creation of expectations to justify X or Y scenario has certainly seen an uptick today.

Whenever this ends up releasing, it was already considered in the timetable. Contracts have already been signed and I presume there are warehouse/storage contracts as well.

This is the most news we've gotten in around 3 months. Holy shit we're desperate.

Anyway, let's dissect some of the small things here:
  • "Must live in Canada" - Bit weird, but okay. If it's a Nintendo studio, it's likely Next Level Games, but it could be another company like Ubisoft or Drinkbox (Guacamelee). However, this is a listing for Unreal Engine, something that Nintendo is going to jump to with this next system in all likelyhood. NLG is my best guess.
  • "a new casual, cooperative party game that's set to dazzle on Nintendo's upcoming next-gen console" - 1-2-Switch 3: Switch Harder. Probably going to be the tech demo or something similar.
  • "you will create the technical backbone of our brand-new AA multiplayer game" - Smaller scale, def along the lines of 1-2 Switch.

Ubisoft is also one of the publishers who loves to leak consoles, and they mention NG in a Job offering. Things add up./s

I feel like with this much information and the fact they state where you need to be located, will probably end up leading to this game being leaked before they get a chance to show it off...

There are only so many studios in Canada that would make a game in this category, so come on Wal-Mart Canada now its your turn!

Personally I wouldn't expend a lot of energy on what DF says, when they frequently have extremely dumb takes, and in general their discussions often come across to me like a more polished version of a thread on a forum like Beyond3D, where people know all the technical terms and understand them well enough, but have no practical context for how hardware or game development works, and can't help but view everything through the lenses of marketing specs and broad handwaves, even when they're trying to be technical.

My issues with DF specifically aside, it's wild to attempt to make comparisons at all when 85% of Switch 2 specs have to be assumed because core counts are the only thing we know even close to for sure.

microsoft also doesnt really need to do a redesign because their series x cooling solution is shit simple but super effective, chip directly to vaporchamber directly to large mass heatsink, with every other heat producing component is connected to a solid metal skeleton. its crazy how much metal is in a series x actually

Anyway, it does not affect anything whether they use AI or not in the matter that they are hiring for a medium-sized project that will be released on the next Nintendo console.

As you said, the AI detail is not relevant to any part of the conversation..
It kinda is. Any respectable company isn't going to be so lazy as to have AI write their job listings for them.

Currently, Thor's design isn't very suitable for Nintendo's purposes. Designing a custom SoC that inherits aspects of Thor's design takes at least a couple of years, especially if T239 is any indication, since T239 was a custom design that happen to inherit aspects of Orin's design, and T239 probably wasn't taped out until 1H 2022 if some LinkedIn profiles (here and here) were any indication. (Also, tape out ≠ final physical verification.)

And considering Thor's scheduled to be released in 2025, and Samsung mentioned that LPDDR6 won't be coming until 1H 2026 at the earliest, I think Thor, in the best case scenario, supports up to LPDDR5X-8533. (I don't know about LPDDR5X-9600 since JEDEC hasn't formally approved LPDDR5X-9600 as far as I know.)

May be outdated compared to your hypothetical system that's a fantasy, but compared to anything else on the market in its pricebracket it's going to have games that outshine them all.

Edit: of course I'm talking about portable tech.

Last edited:
until someone decides to go hog-wild with RT.

Hmmm you recon that like on consoles, devs will opt to do RT effects at a fraction of the of the render resolution, but due to NVIDIA’s superior RT hardware the frametime cost would be a lot lower and you’d put the demand back to rasterisation. Obviously it’s a trade-off as the RT effect will deteriorate, but I think it’s an optimisation that would make sense especially if it’s enabled for handheld mode.

Hmmm you recon that like on consoles, devs will opt to do RT effects at a fraction of the of the render resolution, but due to NVIDIA’s superior RT hardware the frametime cost would be a lot lower and you’d put the demand back to rasterisation. Obviously it’s a trade-off as the RT effect will deteriorate, but I think it’s an optimisation that would make sense especially if it’s enabled for handheld mode.
I don't know if this is what you meant, but the relative frametime cost of RT compared to rasterization will probably be a lot lower on Drake compared to something like a ps5.

I don't know if this is what you meant, but the relative frametime cost of RT compared to rasterization will probably be a lot lower on Drake compared to something like a ps5.

Yes pretty much, I presume the general expectation may be that; the quality of RT is be higher compared to the PS5 (or Series S in the select amount of games it is available in). Sadly we don’t really have granular control of rays per pixel on PC to estimate and also there are a lot of parameters at play to discuss this in detail. Moreover there!s no hardware out there for me to get some baseline for it (as I’m mostly VRAM limited on my 3050 laptop 🥹 ).

Yes pretty much, I presume the general expectation may be that; the quality of RT is be higher compared to the PS5 (or Series S in the select amount of games it is available in). Sadly we don’t really have granular control of rays per pixel on PC to estimate.
The series s is really memory starved, which really limits its RT potential. NG shouldn't be as memory starved.

I wasn't saying NG will be better at RT than the ps5, I was saying it's better relative to raster.

Totally making up these numbers but if razterization takes 5ms on ps5, rt may take 9. If rasterization takes 5ms on Drake, RT may take 7.

Good. If Nintendo thinks going to E3 is too much of a hassle, then they have no right to go about galavanting around Europe for a convention that's far less prestigious.

Gamescom is and has been quite a good conference for gaming.
Yes it may not have the same legacy as E3, but Nintendo has been at Gamescom for many years. I have no idea where you’re coming from lol.

Edit; compare Nintendo presence E3 2017 v.s. Gamescom 2017.
The series s is really memory starved, which really limits its RT potential. NG shouldn't be as memory starved.

I wasn't saying NG will be better at RT than the ps5, I was saying it's better relative to raster.

Totally making up these numbers but if razterization takes 5ms on ps5, rt may take 9. If rasterization takes 5ms on Drake, RT may take 7.

Oh haha I wasn’t implying that you were saying NG > PS5, I was just speaking generally.
Moreover iirc, with respect to RT. AMD’s hardware also require more memory compared to NVIDIA for RT, so even if the switch has more memory available than the Series S, due to NVIDIA’s superior RT implementation it also requires less memory and bandwidth.

edit; for the latter statement I’ll try to find the exact analysis of where I got that from.

Last edited:
FF16 drops as low as 720p in performance mode

Immortals of Aveum is 720p standard

Avatar can go as low as 864p in performance mode

There are some more I might be forgetting that drops as low as 720p
That's just the internal resolution though. We see a scaled image targetting 4k.

I am curious as to why we haven't seen some more pointed questions to DF. For example, how do you square 8nm with a 1536 core GPU in a portable system that will target 3+ hours of battery life? They also speak of performance being less than Steam Deck, but again, how do you square that with a 1536 core GPU? They speak of T239, seem to agree that its the SOC to power SNG, but then somehow gloss over the fact that even with low clock speeds, its going to surpass Steam Deck by a decent margin, at least in docked performance. It seems like they are failing to connect a lot of the dots here and are not calling into question certain "accepted truths" that they seem to share. 8nm is not just big, but very power hungry, something that Nvidia would have known from the beginning. From the power curves we have seen for Orin, it seems impossible for a 8nm T239 to reach low enough power draw for it to meet the requirements from Nintendo. As soon as you look at T239 with the possibility its actually a 4N chip, suddenly the size and power draw situation falls right into place and the ceiling for performance goes way up.

Im going to guess that they really do not have any inside information that gives them any clarity on these details. I suppose as long as you remain convinced its 8nm, some of those opinions seem obvious, but even then they dont really do a good job when talking about performance. Its important when comparing it to something like Steam Deck, are we referring to portable or docked performance for SNG? Could Steam Deck be more powerful than SNG in portable mode? Sure, but docked mode its basically impossible.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom