• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

So it's either always 720p or 1080p?
Steam Deck’s resolution is because it’s not the same shape as a TV. There are options other than 720p and 1080p, but the Steam Deck’s weird resolution isn’t one of them.

I think the Form Factor will be roughly the same size, it kinda has to be to maintain compatibility with Joycons.
We need to let Joy-Con/Dock compatibility go as an assumption. There is no strong rationale for it.

Not saying that compat will definitely break but maintaining compatibility is unlikely to be a higher priority to Nintendo than good thermals, good batter life, and adding any new control tech they want.

Very sad to see all these high-powered handhelds not having oled screens, it's why I've basically ignored my steam deck after initially being very excited for it. I'll probably even pick up some games on Switch 1 after Switch 2 is out due to this. Not a perfect example but why get something like Ace Attorney trilogy 2 on Switch 2 when Switch 1 is gonna offer the better handheld experience.

SUMMARY

LAUNCH TALK
- Nate has been hearing late 2024 (Says could launch in september - early october)
  • Thinks we will be getting a lot of chatter due to events coming up
  • Nothing from GDC at all (MVG)
- Nate has multiple developers saying they know about devkits (Last week/few Weeks)
- Seemed pretty certain it'd launch with 3d mario (a prediction but he sounded stern lol)
- Nate has heard chatter about production in Q1

DISPLAY TALK
- Nate thinks it's going to launch with an LCD screen
- Has been told it will launch with an 8 inch LCD Screen (isn't certain calls, it informed speculation)

STORAGE TALK
- Has heard chatter about a 'fairly significant amount of internal flash memory' has heard 512GB ceiling figure (informed speculation)

GAME CARD TALK
- Thinks card format will change (3D NAND) (speculation)

BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY TALK
  • Can definitely be solved for, MVG thinks they will solve for it in some way
  • No new info

ANNOUNCEMENT TIMING
  • Nate thinks they will wait till FY ends before they announce it
  • Could be any time though

512GB of internal memory for the Switch sucessor? that massive considering Switch only have 32GB and 64GB of internal memory in Switch OLED case, does this also imply Switch sucessor is gonna have a huge increase in RAM memory like, 512GB of internal memory, with 12/16 of RAM memory?

I'm of the view there will not be dock compatability for practical reasons

New device may be thicker and bigger and most docks don't support anything above 1080p. So Nintendo will not be opening a customer service issue by allowing a new device to dock.

Power draw could also be different and they may want the new device to dock on an approved dock

512GB of internal memory for the Switch sucessor? that massive considering Switch only have 32GB and 64GB of internal memory in Switch OLED case, does this also imply Switch sucessor is gonna have a huge increase in RAM memory like, 512GB of internal memory, with 12/16 of RAM memory?
512 GB us probably a realization next gen games will be much bigger and a concession to 3rd parties who always assume users won't have microSD and want their games download able out of the box.

512 GB us probably a realization next gen games will be much bigger and a concession to 3rd parties who always assume users won't have microSD and want their games download able out of the box.
huge file sizes i can expect for third party games, but for Nintendo own games? what will make Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom that have a file size of 16.4GB jump to 50GB for example in the next Legend of Zelda? given Nintendo is good with otmization.

huge file sizes i can expect for third party games, but for Nintendo own games? what will make Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom that have a file size of 16.4GB jump to 50GB for example in the next Legend of Zelda? given Nintendo is good with otmization.
I'm no expert, but if there will be ray tracing....

When Mario Wonder is actually the launch game for the new switch.

rs_499x376-160127103130-Best_Oprah_Winfrey_GIFs_1.gif

Remember the Nintendo Switch Wonder rumor from 4chan that ya'll were laughing at??? Who's laughing now...

Nate has heard Gossip (stresses its not confirmed) about an 8 inch LCD.

EDIT: and 512 gb storage as a ceiling (again just gossip)
That would be insane (in a good way). If it's HDR (which I would expect for parity reasons) it'll still be an upgrade over OLED Model.

In regards to MVG on Backwards Compatibility, he was likely just agreeing with SciresM who has reverse-engineered the Switch a bunch and knows the hardware inside and out. So I'd definitely take the BC stuff into consideration as there's a lot of expert insight into the situation imo.

Im usually part of 720p gang when it comes to the screen for these handhelds, for the obvious advantages.
But if its really was a nearly 8inch screen and 1080p - that would be a massive jump from the Switch.

I would be willing to pay up to 500 for such a device, with the right amount of storage and capable hardware.
This device is set up for the long haul and it seems like Nintendo preemptively area already things to the table to stay competitive with whoever might be entering the market - the number of Switch-like devices isnt gonna slow down any time soon.

Man cant wait to play and experience iintendos next gen games on this system.

Nate has heard Gossip (stresses its not confirmed) about an 8 inch LCD.

EDIT: and 512 gb storage as a ceiling (again just gossip)

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but 512GB doesn't seem impossible to me. I would personally expect 256GB, but UFS prices have dropped substantially over the past year, to the point where 512GB may be viable. As a point of reference, between 2014 and 2020, based on Notebookcheck reviews, the average storage capacity in smartphones increased by 49% each year. This growth fell off quite a bit due to the pandemic and chip crunch, but is in the process of correcting itself (possibly over-correcting due to oversupply), so we may be getting back to that 50% annual growth trend-line pretty soon. In fact, if the pandemic and chip crunch never happened, then 512GB would be pretty much bang on the kind of capacity we'd expect 7 years after the 32GB Switch.

Also, perhaps more importantly, we know that storage has been a particular issue for third parties. From the various Microsoft ABK acquisition investigations, we know that storage was a significant factor in Activision's internal decision not to port CoD to the Switch. It's quite likely that it has been the case for other third parties as well, and they've said as much to Nintendo. So it wouldn't be surprising if Nintendo not only put a focus on ensuring Switch NG has lots of storage, but also tell third parties about it in early discussions.

One other thing worth noting; if they do go with 512GB of storage, it would effectively guarantee UFS 3 or better. Although 512GB UFS 2 parts existed in the past, none of Micron, Samsung, Kioxia or SK Hynix produce UFS 2 in capacities larger than 256GB any more, with 512GB+ sizes restricted to UFS 3 and UFS 4.

The StartMenu piece says (And the author clarified on Twitter) Nintendo will likely be unveiling the console to partners in closed rooms at Gamescom, rather than unveiling to the public formally. It's a great chance (Alongside TGS a month later) to get in a room, at the same time, as half the industry. It might be when western publishers receive dev kits and info, outside of the handful of close partners or major publishers (EA, Activision, Ubisoft) who they might make one-off exceptions for, and TGS will be the same for Japanese publishers.

I mean, this is a hell of a clarification lol I suppose they did make it "very clear" in the very last paragraph what they thought their source meant, after they had tossed around multiple other interpretations of it. Which made it not that clear at all, to me anyway.

I mean, this is a hell of a clarification lol I suppose they did make it "very clear" in the very last paragraph what they thought their source meant, after they had tossed around multiple other interpretations of it. Which made it not that clear at all, to me anyway.

This is less clarification and more like backpedaling. The original rumor they got was about a public announcement. And the author understood it as such, but didn't find it credible, hence their own speculation about closed-door stuff at Gamescom instead. Posted my take on why the author is saying this here.

SUMMARY

LAUNCH TALK
- Nate has been hearing late 2024 (Says could launch in september - early october)
  • Thinks we will be getting a lot of chatter due to events coming up
  • Nothing from GDC at all (MVG)
- Nate has multiple developers saying they know about devkits (Last week/few Weeks)
- Seemed pretty certain it'd launch with 3d mario (a prediction but he sounded stern lol)
- Nate has heard chatter about production in Q1

DISPLAY TALK
- Nate thinks it's going to launch with an LCD screen
- Has been told it will launch with an 8 inch LCD Screen (isn't certain calls, it informed speculation)

STORAGE TALK
- Has heard chatter about a 'fairly significant amount of internal flash memory' has heard 512GB ceiling figure (informed speculation)

GAME CARD TALK
- Thinks card format will change (3D NAND) (speculation)

BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY TALK
  • Can definitely be solved for, MVG thinks they will solve for it in some way
  • No new info

ANNOUNCEMENT TIMING
  • Nate thinks they will wait till FY ends before they announce it
  • Could be any time though

The only thing sounds unbelievable is LCD. Why would they switch from led to lcd. That will backfire. Led is so much better, going back to LCD doesn't make sense. I also believe because it's LED, you also don't have a lot of boder.
I don't see LCD screen 8' with a big black border

In regards to MVG on Backwards Compatibility, he was likely just agreeing with SciresM who has reverse-engineered the Switch a bunch and knows the hardware inside and out. So I'd definitely take the BC stuff into consideration as there's a lot of expert insight into the situation imo.
The possibility of digital only backwards compatibility really worries me, I've always gone physical for first party Nintendo games and to not be able to play those on a Switch successor because they are physical instead of digital really bugs me.

The only thing sounds unbelievable is LCD. Why would they switch from led to lcd. That will backfire. Led is so much better, going back to LCD doesn't make sense. I also believe because it's LED, you also don't have a lot of boder.
I don't see LCD screen 8' with a big black border
No, it won’t in the slightest.

I hope they have done the best work for battery life.
The main power draw with more resolution is processing power, rather than the screen. You can reduce processing power with DLSS. In theory, a DLSSed 1080p would look better and consume less energy than a native 720p output.

This is less clarification and more like backpedaling. The original rumor they got was about a public announcement. And the author understood it as such, but didn't find it credible, hence their own speculation about closed-door stuff at Gamescom instead. Posted my take on why the author is saying this here.

Yeah, probably. I also noticed they're a journalism student so that might explain some of the uncertainty.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
In the context of this, and a significant bump in storage(which is probably necessary given digital buy rate, game sizes, game card limitations, etc.), I think the loss of OLED would be acceptable. I'd love if they had two SKUs with one having the OLED and one not. I don't think it would be worth having different storage capacities for two SKUs, it's too important in the current era to have enough storage on the system.

I am mainly a docked player but occasionally play handheld if I’m traveling. Personally, I think the NG Switch could stand to be thicker, or at least have thicker joycons. The current Switch is uncomfortable to play for extended periods of time. I know there are third party joycon attachments to potentially resolve this complaint. But if the next iteration has a larger form factor, I wouldn’t necessarily be against that.

Only to add my tidbit to the Nate podcast
  • The info regarding devkit that I have points to 8 inch too
  • Even being a devkit, still a LCD panel as speculated, but the person told me that is very better in comparison to early Switch model
  • Oh, and 1080p, of course ;)
Thanks for the podcast Nate, nice ep.

Nintendo probably saw how much easy ports they lost out on with the Switch just because of storage size and doesnt wanna repeat the mistake again.
Than you have all these f2p and service games ala Fortnite growing in size with every update as well, they want people to spent money and play these games on their systems as well.
8 inch screen would probably mean a much bigger and heavier form factor. Not sure how much I love that tbh.
Bigger ? Sure. Much bigger ? I dont think so.
It would be a benefit if this result in better cooling, bigger and more comfortable joycons and being able to host a bigger battery.

Lineup Speculation: Let's say that Nintendo releases this system around September or early October. How heavy does the lineup get from a first party stand point for 2024?

Launch (September)- Mario 3D
November- Pokemon

Gotta figure that Nintendo has something else in there. Maybe a racing game like a new Diddy Kong Racing? Another launch title similar to Nintendo Land or 1,2 Switch? Maaaaaaybe a 2D Zelda? Late 2024 seems too soon for Splatoon. A new Donkey Kong Country game? Kirby feels like a Spring 2025 game for reasons I can't explain. A new Mario Party game? That would make sense.

Bottom line, I think we get another launch window title from Nintendo besides Mario and Pokemon.

I mean a bigger, higher res screen is a good differentiator for less informed customers, they can see easily that this is the newer, better model compared to another 7" screen device that looks closer to Switch. So it's a smart decision.

The possibility of digital only backwards compatibility really worries me, I've always gone physical for first party Nintendo games and to not be able to play those on a Switch successor because they are physical instead of digital really bugs me.
It would definitely suck. My main worry is how Nintendo would handle the transition for those with physical games. I hope it'd be straight-forward, buuuut, my guess is Nintendo could overcomplicate it which would suuuuuuck.

Only to add my tidbit to the Nate podcast
  • Even being a devkit, still a LCD panel as speculated, but the person told me that is very better in comparison to early Switch model
Thanks for the podcast Nate, nice ep.
Heck yes 8 inch and 1080ppppppp

Nintendo probably saw how much easy ports they lost out on with the Switch just because of storage size and doesnt wanna repeat the mistake again.
Than you have all these f2p and service games ala Fortnite growing in size with every update as well, they want people to spent money and play these games on their systems as well.

Bigger ? Sure. Much bigger ? I dont think so.
It would be a benefit if this result in better cooling, bigger and more comfortable joycons and being able to host a bigger battery.
6,2-inch-16x9-vs-7,8-inch-16x9.png

It's an extra 1.5 inches in width and ~0.9 inches in height. That's a fairly big change.

This is very reassuring, thanks for sharing!

The OLED has like half inch bezels, so there's plenty of room to work with without increasing the size of the form factor.
Getting rid of the bezels isn't trivial, there are often reasons why bezels need to exist for certain screens. Either way this would be a large change in form factor from the original.

If they needed extra battery room or extra room for T239 then maybe this could make sense, but I do hope they don't add too much to the weight of the thing.

Question for those who know about development of Operating Systems or something like that. Could nintendo introduce a battery saving mode in the system? that limits the games and the screen to 30 Fps, without the need for each developer to introduce this function in their game in the settings, since Nintendo has already done it for you in the system, as well as Steam Deck brings settings for the screen and Power, but obviously in the accessible and direct way of nintendo. (I hope you understand, I use a translator)

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom