• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess

Welcome to Famiboard’s 7th Nintendo Direct Speculation ST! We are back for another wild round of Nintendo Direct speculation and I’m so excited to once again be hosting this amazing thread! This time we are all asking ourselves, what lies beyond the door? The Thousand Year Door hasn’t been opened in twenty years one thousand years and just beyond it lies the future of Nintendo! What that looks like exactly is what we are here to discuss!

We are only a few days away from finally being in the expected year where we will hear about and perhaps actually play the long awaited Switch successor! At thread launch, approximately 116,000 posts have been written so far on Famiboards in just the Future Hardware and Switch 2 STs alone so to say this console has been highly anticipated is an understatement. It’s with this shadow hanging over us now more than ever, that we will embark on this speculation journey! While Switch 2 looms large, and I’ll discuss how that affects the thread’s life and events a little deeper in, we are certainly still largely expecting a software showcase in the next month or two. Nintendo’s current dated release calendar ends in March after all with Princess Peach Showtime and there are only a few undated games from them and third parties beyond that. The next show will likely cover us through roughly July or August. Will it also be the home of the Switch 2 announcement? We shall see!

RESOURCES

This section of the OP will compile a lot of information and resources to help form the basis of good discussion. Let’s start simply with Nintendo’s release calendar which is becoming quite sparse especially as long term DLC has mostly all been completed.

Another Code Recollection January 19th
Mario Vs Donkey Kong February 16th
Princess Peach Showtime! March 22nd
Splatoon 3 Side Order - UPDATE - February 22nd!!
Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD Summer 2024
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door 2024
Metroid Prime 4 TBD

We have here four remakes and three brand new experiences. Of particular note I feel are Princess Peach Showtime, Splatoon 3 Side Order, Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door, and Metroid Prime 4. Both Peach and Side Order were given new trailers in the last Nintendo Direct, but as the two immediate, new experiences we’ll likely get some good final showings. While Side Order mostly needs a release date, Princess Peach Showtime is still somewhat shrouded in mystery as many questions about the game’s structure remain and there are more transformations to be revealed or discovered ourselves! Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door Switch is a little more interesting for speculation than it appears at first glance as we’ve already discovered new NPCs in the game. What other new content will it get beyond the graphical overhaul largely remains to be seen, but I’m personally hoping for a new story expansion of some sort. Finally, we have Metroid Prime 4 which to this day still has virtually nothing known about it. While I of course #trusttheprocess that this game will eventually come out and be amazing, I do wonder exactly what Prime 4’s chances are to be here. Switch 2’s reveal and release plans should greatly inform its likelihood of appearance here especially if it is cross gen or not.

Similar to the more sparse release calendar, our rumored games list is sadly a bit small walking into this thread. Should we get any updates or substantial rumors (no shaky information or accounts) I will of course add games onto the list and threadmark when appropriate. Twitter is pretty unreliable these days, so if you do bring info to share (rumors and actual news) please make sure to transcribe it.

Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War Remake
Donkey Kong
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes

Of the three, the rumored Fire Emblem Genealogy Remake is definitely on top this time as it is allegedly finished and can drop whenever. New Donkey Kong is a longstanding rumor and he is getting a new theme park expansion this year so a new game or port is expected for synergy. Perhaps that is just the Mario Vs Donkey Kong remake or perhaps that’s only the start. I sure hope it’s the latter! Finally, last Summer we did get a fresh rumor on Metroid Prime 2 Echoes that so far hasn’t panned out. Depending on when Prime 4 drops, this rumored remaster might not fit in, but I know I’d love to see it. Before I wrap up this part of the rumor section, I will mention there was technically a Zelda remake rumor from Serkan Toto in a now deleted tweet that dated it in 2023. That obviously didn’t happen so while I don’t want to give it a full spotlight, I will say this is good grounds for speculation regardless as Zelda is traditionally an annual series and the Wii U versions in particular seem like great cross gen releases.

While we are on the subject of rumors, I just want to remind you all of good guidelines and practices to always remember when discussing rumors and insider information. Make sure you do not randomly AT message and beg insiders who post on our boards for information as that is deeply awkward for all parties involved. Whenever is safely possible, please point people to the direct sources of information to avoid games of telephone and the hurt feelings that come with them. If Hide or Reply Tags are in use, please use them as well for all related discussion as we do not want to get people in trouble. If you are sharing sensitive info yourself, consider using higher limit Hide and Reply tags if you want to limit the spread of information, but please know it’s not a perfect solution. In general with all rumor talk, please keep in mind we often only have a fraction of the information that may no longer be true if it ever was at all. There’s no reason to be dismissive and rude to others or to be weirdly attached both in favor of or against video game news, rumors, speculation or even games themselves that may not pan out. The golden rule above all else is to always be kind to each other so we can have a fun time discussing games and hanging out together!

Before I get to our thread games and close out the OP, I do want to add one last section to the Resources section in regards to the frequently asked questions regarding thread life as well as Direct spoilers. If no Pyoro-style leaks happen, this thread will run until the next major game showcase from Nintendo is announced. That means either the standard Nintendo Direct, a Mini Direct, or a Partner Showcase as well as a potential unique ending if a Switch 2 presentation is announced that announces and covers games. If we just get some Switch style reveal trailer dropped that only shows a few seconds each of a few games, that does not count and the thread will remain open or be reopened if necessary. If Pyoro-style leaks do occur for a presentation, this thread will run until the end of the actual event as it did for ST 6. At any time, anyone is welcome to make a leak free Direct Speculation thread though I do highly encourage it to be made after Pyoro-style leaks occur since we don't want to split the community if possible. Personally, I hope we can all stick together to the end this time, but we’ll see what happens!

THREAD GAMES AND EVENTS

To close out this OP, we do of course have thread games and events! First, we will have polls that will shift over the thread’s life. To kick things off we have the classic #TeamJanuary, #TeamFebruary, and #TeamMarch etc. showdown, but with a twist! This time the three main positions are split in half for a total of six teams! That’s because we are adding one other variable to the mix with a simple question, will your Direct Month Team also have the Switch 2 announcement as well? We are counting some kind of public announcement here so it could be a video, a tweet, a press release etc. Choose wisely, rep your team proudly, and have fun seeing where everyone winds up!

Weekly thread questions of course return as well and will aim to cycle out every Wednesday into Thursday night Pacific Time since that worked out well for the last thread. I’ve prepared seven questions for the start of the thread, but will add more if needed. You can get a preview of upcoming questions below if you so choose. Question 1 will be formally announced shortly after we get settled in.

1: What are you most looking forward to and hoping for from Nintendo in 2024? (Thread launch through January 3rd)

2: What’s going on with Donkey Kong in 2024 and beyond? (January 4th – January 10th)

3: What four games would you like to see most in Year 1 for Switch 2 and why? You can pick either realistic or dream guesses. (January 11th – January 17th)

4: What other IP revival remakes like Another Code would you like to see and why? Can be first or third party. (January 18th – January 24th)

5: In celebration of Under Night In-Birth II and the Apollo Justice collection, what are your favorite fighting games and visual novel / story heavy games on Switch? What fighting game and visual novels / story heavy games would you like to see return with rereleases and new entries? (January 25th – January 31st)

6: What new content do you expect to see and what would you like to see from Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door? Are there any other upcoming remaster / remakes you hope will get some brand new content? (February 1st – February 7th)

7: What do you most want to see from this Nintendo Direct both realistic and otherwise and why? Also, what games will shadowdrop if any? (February 8th – February 14th)

Our first major thread event, The Great Direct Date Guess Event - Featuring Switch 2 has started! It's an event where you can win up to two badges for correctly predicting the air date of the next Direct and the announcement of Switch 2. More info can be found in this post and please note the registration window ends on December 31st at 11:59 PM Pacific Time. I'm tracking the predictions in the chart below here, so check it out!

Direct Air Date Guesses

January 10th - LuckyNumber69
January 11th - MissingNo. , RealUncleNintendo
January 17th - crazybenjamin
January 18th - Magic-Man
January 23rd - ZephyrPhoenix
January 24th - Brofield, rêverie
January 25th - Barely Able
February 7th - Joe, hk-rara, SammyJ9, shoptroll, unit 9s, SirArthur, Gamer_G, Derachi
February 8th - Hero of Hyrule, gijose, Pillydillsy
February 9th - meatbag
February 13th - uboijohnnee, Gabev
February 14th - Josh5890, TriGen, Concernt, bixente, Marce-chan, Stephen
February 15th - xghost777, Giancarlo
February 16th - Legion of Primes, Lemonfresh
February 21st - Bobo, the_marmolade, ohlawd

Switch 2 Announcement Guesses

January 4th - uboijohnnee
January 11th - Legion of Primes
January 15th - RealUncleNintendo
January 18th - Concernt
February 15th - xghost777
February 22nd - MissingNo. , Marce-chan, ZephyrPhoenix
February 25th - crazybenjamin
March 6th - Joe, Bobo
March 7th - Meelow, SirArthur
March 13th - rêverie, Josh5890, Magic-Man
March 14th - gijose
March 18th - the_marmolade
March 19th - ohlawd
March 20th - SammyJ9, unit 9s, Stephen
March 22nd - TriGen
March 28th - Gamer_G
April 18 - Pillydillsy
April 19 - Barely Able
May 3rd - Lemonfresh
May 6th - Giancarlo
June 12th - Gabev
June 20th - LuckyNumber69
June 26th - meatbag

I will also announce upfront The Last Call Summon The Direct Event where we share YouTube videos as we count down to an expected announcement is planned to return provided Nintendo doesn’t blindside us all, as that was a ton of fun last time. More details will be announced when it occurs.

That’s it for this OP then, so let’s bring the hype and enjoy speculating together!

UPDATE 2/16/2024

On post 15,588 we entered Act II of this long running thread! Check out what's essentially a new OP here for the next part of our journey together!

Last edited:
The best time of the season is here- Direct Season. Plus, with Switch 2 coming next year it’s another big layer to the cake. It’s going to be a great year for Nintendo fans. I can not wait to see all the games Nintendo has been holding back to reveal with the Switch 2! This only comes once every 6-7 years.

The best time of the season is here- Direct Season. Plus, with Switch 2 coming next year it’s another big layer to the cake. It’s going to be a great year for Nintendo fans. I can not wait to see all the games Nintendo has been holding back to reveal with the Switch 2! This only comes once every 6-7 years.
Heck yeah! There's so many possibilities for where this journey will go, but for sure I can't wait to see all of the big games ahead! It's going to be awesome :)

wrestler-woo.gif

Whenever it happens, I'm here for it

I just got a Wii U for Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and Xenoblade Chronicles X, so there are the next three ports Nintendo will end up announcing.

ITS THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR
WITH FAMI DIRECT HYPING
AND MEMBERS ALL SAYING SWITCH 2 IS NEXT YEAR
OH ITS THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME………OF THE YEAR!

January direct focuses on Switch, and then February or March announcement for Switch 2; it could be February for the trailer and then March for the presentation. Or It could be March for the announcement and then June for the presentation, with a September release.

Late Feb/Early March before Showtime, after Mario v Donkey Kong - Switch 2 later in the year (let's say June reveal, September direct - Nov launch)

Last edited:
I'm going with the boring option of a good old February Switch Direct and nothing on the new console until after that's out of the way in March or April.

But I do hope we get plenty of rumors and whispers in the meantime to keep us satiated.

Glad to see that there's a thread this year despite the shift of focus towards Switch 2.

I think that the transition will be delicate and result in some odd outcomes, one among them being no Direct until March or April. Currently I'm leaning towards the week before or after Peach, but there's something appealing about early April, too. I think that Direct will outline spring and summer, including release dates for Paper Mario (June?) and Luigi's Mansion 2 (July?). The new system coming early in FY 2026 will be acknowledged officially in the May investor briefing. There will be some sort of presentation in June if publishers are expecting one, but a Partner Showcase would suffice. A Direct later in the summer, or even in September, will handle the remaining holiday software; Pokémon will have been announced separately. Then in January 2025 the next system is revealed, it is detailed in early March, and launched in late April.

I don't believe the Switch 2 reveal will be in January but I voted for January because that's what heroes do.

I just got a Wii U for Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and Xenoblade Chronicles X, so there are the next three ports Nintendo will end up announcing.
Thank you for your service 🫡

I'll probably commit to my predictions first week in January, but I think my early guesses are for the Direct to happen in February and either it ends on teasing the Switch 2 with a game or two (Mario and Metroid) or we get a separate announcement later in the month that confirms it after everyone preorders whatever they show in the Direct (I'm leaning towards the latter). Hard locks for the show are Peach, Side Order, Paper Mario, and Luigi's Mansion 2 from the announced games with Fire Emblem Genealogy the other hard lock.

I think I'm going to commit to predicting New Donkey Kong will be one of the big games of the show. It's long overdue given a decade has passed since Tropical Freeze, the new theme park encourages a new release for synergy, and it's a series that's big enough to handle being caught in the console transition year. Beyond that, a new Tomodachi game might be something that could hang as well and of course a random slate of remasters and remakes.

Metroid I'm super conflicted about as we are so close to the Switch 2. I think Prime 4 is a cross gen launch title at this point so I think the only way it'll be here is if Switch 2 is announced beforehand or at the show. Prime 2 I'm very torn on. It made so much sense to be at the Direct or at the Game Awards. If it's here awesome, I love that game. It just seems like it is getting too close to Prime 4, but maybe it'll be fine.

I can only pray to whatever higher beings there are that Prime 2 gets a full remaster treatment like 1 and it shows up in February.

Anyways I don't see anything happening in January, just too early imo, and now that their Nintendo Live event in Japan got cancelled they don't exactly got a place to show off some of their announcements. We'll definitely see Peach, Luigi's Mansion, and Paper Mario, but aside from that I'm not sure what else? I don't see any big hitters showing up, from Nintendo at least, since the Switch 2 is certainly on its way. Maybe that Professor Layton game gets a cinematic trailer for the story? I guess there's that Fantasy Life game coming up too? I think something Tomodachi Life-sized could show up, but I don't believe we'll get a giant "Just one more thing" ending because the Switch 2 needs some stuff to advertise with, even if it's crossgen.

Nintendo Switch 2 being announced alongside a new 3D Mario would be a killer combo in March after a final Switch focused Direct in February. And of course, a Metroid Prime 4 rereveal to close out the final Direct with no mention of the Switch 2 until it’s revealed the following month.

Let’s do this, 2024. #trusttheprocess

A January/February direct showing what we know and announcing Metroid Prime 2/3, Fire Emblem 4 and ending with a new DK game releasing sometime in August or later. Pokémon February direct announcing something Black and White related for holiday release.

March we get the Switch 2 reveal and teases the new 3D Mario game and Metroid Prime 4.

I think we'll have a Switch focused Direct. In January or February, but it'll probably be the last one.

I expect to see :

• Princess Peach: Showtime!
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
  • Paper Mario TTYD

Also, Nintendo will finally unveil Fire Emblem 4 Remake. I'm sure at 99.99% ! :p

The question I'm asking myself : Metroid Prime 4 will be present? There's nothing to say it will be cross-gen. Although it's likely, there's a lot of uncertainty on this point. So I wouldn't be surprised to see this game in the next Direct.

Now I've only one hope : a new Donkey Kong.

It will most likely be a cross-gen game because the license needs the 140+ millions Switch. And also because Switch deserves a new game, Nintendo shouldn't settle for Tropical Freeze.

Hoping for something F-Zero related, as always. If it's a significant update to 99, that's fine and what should be mostly expected. But I'm still holding out hope for GX HD being real, even if it's just a HAGI port.
Probably shouldn't expect that, but at least it'd be more likely than Nintendo finally fixing X's sensitivity and framerate on NSO.

I'm probably over-reading into the weird timing of certain NSO things / other random maintenances at the 10th Jan mark or thereabouts, so I'll toss an optimistic vote to an early Direct (or even Mini) in January; don't think it'll be Successor time quite then however.

Failing that old reliable patterns of February as the standard tentpole but mainly as a final OG Switch cleanup.

I trust the process™ to process itself whenever the time is right - it's folly to think otherwise.

Here we go again.
Personally I think we'll get new console info later in the year, but you never know.

They never announce new hardwares in Directs. So I'm with team February which has won like 3 times in a row? Switch 2 will probably be announced in March for either Summer release or late 2024.

I'm finally expecting to see FE4 Remake within 2 months now. It has to be shown off in the next direct.

Not sure what to expect in terms of 3rd party, I think everyone is holding back for Switch 2.

Ahh. Nothing like waking up, checking Fami and seeing that fresh Direct Speculation Thread pop up! ❤️

I'm Team February General Direct, giving us dates for Showtime, TTYD HD and Luigi's Mansion 2, possibly Prime 4 (dare I say shadow drop of Prime 2 HD). I think it would be funny if the next console won't be acknowledged until march or april :D

Normal February direct to go over Switch 1 software planned for 2024. Nintendo may tease their new hardware in January, but I expect Switch 2 marketing fully begins in March.

You can put me down for Donkey Kong holding up the last Switch 1 holiday alongside Prime 4, Unova Pokémon, and something from NDcube. If we're very good next year 2D Zelda might make an appearance as well.

Nate was hearing from developers something about March at Gamescom. It’s what makes me more confident March will be the reveal for Switch 2.
I would imagine that the announcement and the full presentation would be couple of months apart, just like with the OG.

For example: a trailer in January of people playing the new console on rooftops or wherever. Then a full presentation in March with games from devs being showcased.

You can plop down a Direct with “this will focus on Switch 1” disclaimer in February too.

According to my sources who I shall not name, the chatter in the industry and amongst those in the know, is that there might be a Nintendo Direct in the coming months, it has been claimed.

I am hoping and not quite praying that Golden Sun Dark Dawn is remade for the Switch, or a new Golden Sun game is made and is releasing this year with development help from Monolith.

I would imagine that the announcement and the full presentation would be couple of months apart, just like with the OG.

For example: a trailer in January of people playing the new console on rooftops or wherever. Then a full presentation in March with games from devs being showcased.

You can plop down a Direct with “this will focus on Switch 1” disclaimer in February too.

Most likely June would be the full games blowout but with the console reveal before then and from March or after. Maybe even a tease at the end of the final Switch 1 Direct in February.

I think we will get a Direct at mid february like 14th or 15th.

With solid dates for LM2HD and Paper Mario TTYD, in addition to details for spring and summer Switch 1 lineup, like the long rumored Fire Emblem 4 remake.

in a dream world, February direct with switch 2 reveal as the final announcement with a march full presentation. But this is reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom