• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Rumour Jeff Grubb: Metroid Prime 2 Remastered coming "relatively soonish", and "Something unrelated to TotK is happening with Zelda later this year"

Aurc

Trust The Process
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him

Jeff Grubb said:
Metroid Prime 2 Remastered is probably coming out relatively soon-ish. That is happening. [...] It's gonna be mostly what people want, right. It's gonna have the modern controls, and it's gonna be in HD and things like that, but it's not gonna get the love and care that Metroid Prime got.

[...]

This next phrase I'm afraid to say. Listen, I don't know what it means. I'm gonna tell you what they told me: if you take this and you spin it into something else everybody, it's on you, okay? Something not related to Tears of the Kingdom is happening with Zelda later this year.

Can you add this part too Jeff said for Prime 2?

It's gonna be mostly what people want, right. It's gonna have the modern controls and it's gonna be HD and things like that but it's not gonna get the love and care that Metroid Prime got, no.

Following the last Direct and the shadow drop trend, I feel most have an expectation of Prime 2 being a shadow drop at a potential September Direct. It works as a nice marketing piece for Prime 4 and lets people get introduced to the characters and story in the build up to Prime 4's release.

Following the last Direct and the shadow drop trend, I feel most have an expectation of Prime 2 being a shadow drop at a potential September Direct. It works as a nice marketing piece for Prime 4 and lets people get introduced to the characters and story in the build up to Prime 4's release.
Tbh I think a lot of people expected F-Zero GX to be the shadow drop in a September direct.

Metroid Prime 2 makes sense too in the lead up to Prime 4.

The info about Metroid Prime 2 being a basic HD port fits what we're heard before from Belmont and others: Retro too busy with Prime 4 to work on remastering the rest of the original trilogy, so a support studio that helped on Remastered might be doing it instead.

As for Zelda? Grezzo just released Jet Dragon for Apple Arcade, but I have no idea what the development load for that title was, so it's possible that they could have something. Tantalus Media could also have been put to work on another Zelda remake project as well.

I've made my peace with Prime 2 and 3

if it's remastered like Prime 1 day one buys to build my hype for Prime 4

just HD ports? be slightly disappointed and just wait until Prime 4 and hope for a proper remastered of 2 and 3 one day

The info about Metroid Prime 2 being a basic HD port fits what we're heard before from Belmont and others: Retro too busy with Prime 4 to work on remastering the rest of the original trilogy, so a support studio that helped on Remastered might be doing it instead.

As for Zelda? Grezzo just released Jet Dragon for Apple Arcade, but I have no idea what the development load for that title was, so it's possible that they could have something. Tantalus Media could also have been put to work on another Zelda remake project as well.
Me thinks that Zelda movie deal that was rumored last month might be getting announced this year. That could count for something

Belmont said that prime 2 and 3 would use MPR as the blueprint, it was jeff and other insiders saying HD ports of prime 2 and 3

Next Direct will be all GameCube remasters: Prime 2, F-Zero GX, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess

If it ends up being true that Echoes and Corruption are getting more barebones ports compared to Prime Remastered, that'll bum me out, but I guess I'd understand. I just really would've wanted to see Sanctuary Fortress and SkyTown at a quality comparable to that of MPR.

Trying to think what Zelda thing we could see, I don’t think it’s the WW/TP ports as they make more sense to hold off releasing in years without a big Zelda release.

Does it have to be a game? Could he just be referring to that rumoured Lego set?

A brand new Four Swords Adventures with online play would be fantastic

I’ll be thrilled if we get Metroid Prime 2 on Switch, not fussed if it looks like Remastered or not. Prime 3 though will be less than ideal without IR so hopefully that gets proper attention if it happens.

Trying to think what Zelda thing we could see, I don’t think it’s the WW/TP ports as they make more sense to hold off releasing in years without a big Zelda release.

Does it have to be a game? Could he just be referring to that rumoured Lego set?

A brand new Four Swords Adventures with online play would be fantastic
Four Swords Adventures with online play is the dream. It’d be so cool!

Yes this pleases me

I doubt any character or story elements from 2 will be brought up in 4, as much as I like U-Mos/the Luminoth.

Personally, I have a hard time believing the Zelda piece unless it's potentially the announcement of a new Zelda orchestral tour or something similarly adjacent. Releasing two Zelda games in the same year doesn't seem too likely when I think they'll want to maximize TOTK's sales as much as possible. So, whatever it might be, I expect any Zelda news to be something that could only increase TOTK's profile during the holiday season. EDIT: I like NateDrake's LEGO suggestion below.

Depending on the release and marketing schedules for Metroid Prime 4, putting out just Metroid Prime 2 in the fall could be an interesting way of releasing a new Metroid Prime game about every six months via a Direct before a Fall 2024 launch for Metroid Prime 4. To lay it out:

February Direct 2023: Metroid Prime 1
September Direct 2023: Metroid Prime 2
February or June Direct 2023: Metroid Prime 3
Fall 2024: Metroid Prime 4

Personally, I was expecting both 2 and 3 to release simultaneously if the updates made to the games aren't as substantial as Prime 1's (similar to PIkmin 1+2 releasing simultaneously) and potentially F-Zero GX to release this September. However, I do find spaced out individual releases to be an interesting and viable approach for Nintendo to present each Prime game as a classic prestige title and slowly build up Metroid Prime 4's launch as a big deal.

Last edited:
I played through Metroid Prime Remastered and didn’t think it aged that gracefully. Still good, just not as good as it was 21 years ago.

That said, if Prime 2 and 3 don’t get the same level of care Prime 1 did, I’m less likely to double dip. The appeal to me would be seeing the fantastic art in those games updated with better tech.

Trust the process?
IMG-9762.gif

Pikmin 1 and 2 have no story connection to Pikmin 4 yet Nintendo still released them before Pikmin 4 to build up hype
oh yeah there's definitely a marketing angle to it, but given what we know story connections to prime 2 are unlikely unless there was a massive change post-reboot

I don’t care about the graphics, just PLEASE keep the same control options as Prime Remastered. If I can’t do dual stick and gyro at the same time I’m out.

I expect:
  • Upscaled textures
  • Updated controls
  • the HUD from Prime Remastered copy-pasted.
And if we're lucky also new models for the characters, especially Samus... If we're lucky...

Echoes needs it to be good looking
Corruption nedds it to make it even better good looking.

In any case both need it.

The Zelda thing will be totally be a 25th anniversary of Ocarina of Time HD remake shadow dropped. Don't @ me.

Online Multiplayer Zelda is my top pick, but can we get a Zelda Fishing Spinoff too please? It’s been forever since Twilight Princess.

doesn't sound like a certain thing at all then.
Metroid Prime 2 and 3 aren't nearly as beloved compared to 2 and 3 so I could definitely see them not receiving as much attention as the first game.

But again, last time Grubb predicted releases of older games during directs it ended badly (for his haircut).

And Metroid Prime Remastered had been reported already pretty extensively prior to him talking about it (from Emily Rogers or the Belmont poster on ResetEra which ended up being pretty accurate)

I wouldn't expect a Zelda game since TotK and Mario will be the big topics this holiday.

If it is game related and not something like a Lego set, then my money is on Soulcalibur II with Link coming back.

Yes this pleases me

I doubt any character or story elements from 2 will be brought up in 4, as much as I like U-Mos/the Luminoth.

Retro are so obsessed with world building I expect the Luminoth to at least be referenced. It would actually be pretty badass to see all the Luminoth warriors you saved on Aether in action, but not really expecting that.

If it ends up being true that Echoes and Corruption are getting more barebones ports compared to Prime Remastered, that'll bum me out, but I guess I'd understand. I just really would've wanted to see Sanctuary Fortress and SkyTown at a quality comparable to that of MPR.

Yup. Those are the two best world's Retro has crafted (shoutout to Juicy Jungle). We can only hope to get something as wildly imaginative and immaculately designed in Prime 4...

just going to wait and see what's going on with prime 2 and 3, because the only reason I've seen so far that they might not be proper remasters is that there being handled by third parties and not retro themselves

Back
Top Bottom