• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Jeff Grubb: Metroid Prime 2 Remastered coming "relatively soonish", and "Something unrelated to TotK is happening with Zelda later this year"

homer-simpson-snoring.gif

Mfw prime 2 and 3 are only going to be HD and not remade visually (i don't play graphics before 2008)

Does Jeff have a good track record?
On the whole, he's been right a hell of a lot more than he's been wrong, and he's had some big swings that turned out to be true; for example, he talked about Kojima and Xbox collaborating on a cloud game a year before it was announced, and he had accurate details last summer about EA's Black Panther game that got announced like a week ago. And he's been right about the date of multiple directs, including one that ended up getting shadowdropped.

He definitely doesn't have a flawless track record though; when it comes to games, he's much more reliable on "what" than "when" (and realistically, "when" would be the hardest part to nail down, esp. for Nintendo who we know will sit on finished games). And he had 2 pretty big misses last year that really hurt his credibility, especially with the crowd on this site: The first was he said Windwaker/Twilight Princess ports would be at the September direct, and they weren't. The second was he bet his hair that Prime Remastered would be out Holiday 2022, and ended up having to shave his head like a month before it got shadowdropped in early 2023.

IMO a big problem for him is he's on a million podcasts and shows where he speaks off the cuff for like 2 hours, and a lot of times when he's speculating or just mentioning something he's been hearing but can't confirm, it ends up getting picked up by news sites and presented as a "confirmed leak". But in my experience, I'd say 9 times out of 10 if he actually is explicitly saying "I can confirm, X is definitely happening", and not "I think probably X" or "I've heard X, but I'm not sure about the source so please don't go write a story about this", he ends up being right.

If we get Echoes, and it's a more low-key upres type deal like Grubb is alluding to, I think we're absolutely getting Corruption at the same time. I'm betting on a $50 or $60 physical for both games together, same as Pikmin 1 + 2.

Does Jeff have a good track record?

He rarely misses.

Also, Metroid Prime 2 is the best Metroid Prime game. Maybe even the best Metroid game. Looking forward to diving back into it again. Haven’t played it since the MPT release on Wii.

No idea what to expect for Zelda. Has there been any rumors aside from the TP/TWW ports? Very curious about what it could be.

All I want is Wind Waker and Twilight Princess on the Switch so I can finally play them. Someone make it happen please!

I'm pretty much lukewarm on Metroid Prime and its sequels. I played Prime for the first time this year and thought it was a very confusing and tedious experience.

I hope not, is time for Prime 4, Prime 2 and 3 should be after Prime 4 in moments with no Metroid games

Also is fucking time to show Prime 4

2D Zelda...? Would be weird getting that so soon.

More realistically: Link's Horse Brushing Simulator? Bolson Sim City? Ganondorf Rhythm Game? Bokoblin Cooking? Mipha Underwater Exploration?

If we get Echoes, and it's a more low-key upres type deal like Grubb is alluding to, I think we're absolutely getting Corruption at the same time. I'm betting on a $50 or $60 physical for both games together, same as Pikmin 1 + 2.
if they do the same exact kind of marketing by talking about Metroid Prime 4 then MP2 and 3 ports coming that'd be neat. But then again trying to establish any kind of pattern to those kind of things seem pointless.

As much as I love MP2 and 3, I think Metroid Prime Remastered has spoiled me, without all the amazing visual improvements I'll probably skip them.

I look forward to a new generation of players getting filtered by the ammo system in Prime 2 while I'm blasting and having a great time with the best Prime game.

I'm also looking forward to enjoying Prime 3 again. Has lower lows in terms of exploration, but the combat and bosses have been further improved so it evens out enough.

Nintendo & timing is tough to predict. I do believe & feel that FY was the play but Nintendo can pivot so easily on timing to find a more suitable spot that it makes it hard to answer.

I could see:

Prime 1 - February 2023
Prime 2 - September 2023
Prime 3 - February 2024
Prime 4 - Late 2024 (Switch 2 cross gen)

2 & 3 could also come together leading to a closer Prime 4 release.

He’s just OK. Metroid Prime 2 (and 3) we heard before him. He’s just giving more of a timeframe now. Reminder he said Metroid Prime was supposed to come before the end of 2022 and he was wrong.
Dates can change, I think he knows.
Also I'd expect Prime 2 to be shadow dropped. Sounds like it won't be a remake
We will see.

Also exciting if we get another Zelda this year!
Does anyone else think “relatively soonish” is so incredibly vague that it could mean literally anything?
I think August / September are pretty empty on first party releases.

Would've preferred it if they gave Prime 2 and 3 the same attention as 1.
Yeah, agreed. My concern after Pikmin 1 and 2 dropped with minimal work at a relatively high price was that'd happen with Prime 2 and 3. We'll have to wait and see, but September is empty and that's very unusual for Nintendo in the Switch era. I feel like something is due then.
Trying to think what Zelda thing we could see, I don’t think it’s the WW/TP ports as they make more sense to hold off releasing in years without a big Zelda release.

Does it have to be a game? Could he just be referring to that rumoured Lego set?

A brand new Four Swords Adventures with online play would be fantastic
I'd put Zelda Lego as high up the list of possible things. That being said, it'd be really fun to get something different with the franchise. I can't see it being another mainline release, new or old, in the same calendar year as TotK. Maybe we get something really wild, though:

• NSO Four Swords Adventures (Pacman 99 is getting closed down in October)
  • Hyrule Valley (Zelda x Stardew Valley crossover)
  • Tingle Collection
  • Tetra's Trackers HD
Edit - we also shouldn't forget Nintendo are in the movie/theme park business now. Perhaps one of those gets announced?

Last edited:
Either or. Of course, neither could just as easily happen.
Or both. or a completly unrelated game... =P

(yeah, one of those sounds about right for a september direct, depending on what the plan with mp4 is and when next year they want to launch new hardware)
----

Im mixed on grub in regards to zelda. And im sometimes not a fan of his takes. So...eh.
If there is something zelda, i hope: not another reemaster/port. (except a good online port fo FSA)

A new 2D zelda, a new spin off thats not a warriors game, those i would like.
I dont care for toys, movies or such stuff.

I'm not sure Nintendo releases Prime 2 and 3 without the same tlc as Prime 1 got. Not that they have not released bare-bones ports for other franchises in the past (Pikmin most recently), but the lack of consistency within the same franchise seems slightly un-Nintendo to me. Then again they are being released much later than Prime 1 so who knows?

He’s just OK. Metroid Prime 2 (and 3) we heard before him. He’s just giving more of a timeframe now. Reminder he said Metroid Prime was supposed to come before the end of 2022 and he was wrong.
Eh, I feel like it definitely was planned for the end of 2022, since it's so close in early 2023. Giving him the benefit of the doubt on that one

if Metroid Prime 4 is early 2024, a Metroid 2+3 shadowdrop like Pikmin had in June is entirely possibile in the next Direct

If it ends up being true that Echoes and Corruption are getting more barebones ports compared to Prime Remastered, that'll bum me out, but I guess I'd understand. I just really would've wanted to see Sanctuary Fortress and SkyTown at a quality comparable to that of MPR.

The mere thought of a revamped Sanctuary Fortress has me all giddy.

Eh, I feel like it definitely was planned for the end of 2022, since it's so close in early 2023. Giving him the benefit of the doubt on that one
Well as Jeff said, people do not like to hear plans change, even though plans do change. I already had several projects move from initial dates even a few weeks before the release. This does happen and "inside info" sometimes lags a bit behind.

Thinking further about it, i'm leaning Zelda spinoff.

A remaster/remake on the scale of Link's Awakening would've been announced earlier (likely during the last Direct), if we're talking about a 2023 release of said TotK-unrelated Zelda thing.

Similar to Age of Calamity, which also had a really short announcement to release timeframe.

To be fair someone suggested that Nintendo might not shadowdrop F-Zero GX because of added online, something that basically no ther possible shadowdrop have

The way Grubb mentioned Metroid Prime 2 as if it’s coming separately and not part of a double pack with 3, if it is a bare bones port they can’t expect to sell that at the same price point as Prime remastered?

Unless 2 and 3 come to eshop separately but after 3 comes out we get a physical double pack

The most obvious window for a Prime 2 drop is September. There'll be a Direct before Tokyo Game Show, and Nintendo have launched a game every September on Switch apart from this year.

The Zelda thing is highly likely not game related. It’s probably just the Lego set. Put little hope into it being gaming related.

As a Nintendo player since day one I have never played a Metroid game, I was waiting for prime 4 but I just downloaded the remaster of Prime and wtf have I been sleeping on… wowwww thanks Geoff and poster haha

Last edited:
The most obvious window for a Prime 2 drop is September. There'll be a Direct before Tokyo Game Show, and Nintendo have launched a game every September on Switch apart from this year.

Technically, they are still releasing a game in September: the physical edition of Pikmin 1&2 HD. So can’t really say that there isn’t anything.

August, however… currently empty for Nintendo.

I prefer to wait for a remaster of the quality of Prime 1. Nintendo should think long term and the type of player of the Metroid saga.

August, or rather GamesCom time is usually for a Indie Showcase, though.

Technically, they are still releasing a game in September: the physical edition of Pikmin 1&2 HD. So can’t really say that there isn’t anything.

A physical release of bare bones ports isn't all that important. And, really, an eShop drop of another bare bones port wouldn't be all that significant either, to be fair.

The more important point is that September is a regular fixture for a combined physical/digital release on Switch from Nintendo themselves (I don't think Prime 2 is the guaranteed title or only option for September). August isn't, so it isn't surprising to see that month blank.

Nintendo’s done empty August months. The direct will be September so if it’s coming this year they’ll shadow drop it then.

A physical release of bare bones ports isn't all that important. And, really, an eShop drop of another bare bones port wouldn't be all that significant either, to be fair.

The more important point is that September is a regular fixture for a combined physical/digital release on Switch from Nintendo themselves (I don't think Prime 2 is the guaranteed title or only option for September). August isn't, so it isn't surprising to see that month blank.

Nintendo’s done empty August months. The direct will be September so if it’s coming this year they’ll shadow drop it then.

I’m not trying to imply that they won’t release Metroid Prime 2 or some other surprise in September. I’m just saying that’s not empty and does have a Nintendo first party release, regardless of how significant it is or isn’t.

I’m not trying to imply that they won’t release Metroid Prime 2 or some other surprise in September. I’m just saying that’s not empty and does have a Nintendo first party release, regardless of how significant it is or isn’t.
Sure. Nintendo have form for doubling up a late physical release with another title - 2021 had WarioWare as the new game as well as the physical release for Game Builder Garage in Europe. Cadence of Hyrule got its physical release in October 2020, the same month as Mario Kart Live and Pikmin 3 DX, too.

The way Grubb mentioned Metroid Prime 2 as if it’s coming separately and not part of a double pack with 3, if it is a bare bones port they can’t expect to sell that at the same price point as Prime remastered?

Unless 2 and 3 come to eshop separately but after 3 comes out we get a physical double pack
Well they released emulated versions of Pikmin 1, 2 for 30$ each so they could definitely do the same for Prime 2. I'd prefer 40$ and remade graphics but I will also take the HD with dual controls since I never played it before.

It’ll be $30 the most

Hyrule Warriors: The Imprisoning War

If it’s canon, sure. Nothing against Hyrule Warriors (they’re great games!) but I would want to see an official backstory being told for that era. And I’m still not even sure whether Age of Calamity is canon or not. It sure felt like it was the way it was marketed, but don’t believe it was ever confirmed either way that I’m aware of.

As mentioned in a different thread, Universal closed the“Lost Continent” attraction at their Islands of Adventure Park in Florida and there is serious smoke that it’s being replaced with a Zelda themed area. I could see that, potentially paired with a Zelda movie reveal, being the big announcement that Grubb is referring to.

Rumor is there will be two main attractions in the area, one centered around OoT and the other WW. If true, perhaps we could see the rumored WW & TW ports be announced at the September direct to coincide with the above announcement but for release in 1H 2024. Doesn’t really seem necessary with TotK less than a year old, but could see it happening to add further hype to a theme park (and possible movie) reveal.

As mentioned in a different thread, Universal closed the“Lost Continent” attraction at their Islands of Adventure Park in Florida and there is serious smoke that it’s being replaced with a Zelda themed area. I could see that, potentially paired with a Zelda movie reveal, being the big announcement that Grubb is referring to.

Rumor is there will be two main attractions in the area, one centered around OoT and the other WW. If true, perhaps we could see the rumored WW & TW ports be announced at the September direct to coincide with the above announcement but for release in 1H 2024. Doesn’t really seem necessary with TotK less than a year old, but could see it happening to add further hype to a theme park (and possible movie) reveal.
Zelda Lego also got leaked some time back. I definitely think the Zelda news is more likely to be on the movie/theme park/merchandise side of things rather than another release. If there is another Zelda title in 2023, I'd expect it to he small scale and digital only.

As much as I'd love a new 2D Zelda - and as much as I think Hyrule Warriors 3 is practically guaranteed to happen - I can't see either happening in 2023. Nintendo have 5 or 6 years to fill before the next open world Zelda is ready, in all probability, so doubling up Zelda releases in 2023, before Tears has had a holiday season to sell, seems extremely unlikely to me.

Back
Top Bottom