• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Rumour Jeff Grubb: Metroid Prime 2 Remastered coming "relatively soonish", and "Something unrelated to TotK is happening with Zelda later this year"

I wouldn’t love to see a return of Four Swords or a remake of the Capcom Zelda games, but I would be happy with WW/TP ports, if it isn’t game related I hope it is that rumored Zelda Lego set.

My guess of most to least probable

1) Zelda lego (already leaked)
2) Zelda TP/WW HD (should still happen, I disagree with the takes that it would "hurt" TotK sales this holiday, especially if physical doesn't drop until December/January)
3) Multiplayer Zelda title (doesn't compete with totk, could also be a nso only game like mario 35)

I prefer to wait for a remaster of the quality of Prime 1. Nintendo should think long term and the type of player of the Metroid saga.

They are likely thinking of the time frame for the release of Metroid Prime 4 and the resources they have available. Remastering all 3 games to the level of Prime 1 and before the release of Prime 4 might not have been possible. They clearly want the games out to build up hype for Prime 4 and the current (alleged) plan of remastering the first game and HD porting (with new controls) the other games likely fits in with their resources and time scales a lot better.

It's also worth noting that the Prime 1 remaster didn't exactly rip up trees on the sales front and putting the same amount of effort into entries that were less popular and less critically acclaimed might not lead to much better sales than an HD port would. I actually think the sales of HD ports for these games wouldn't sell that much less than remasters would because the audience for these types of games will mostly buy them regardless.

If its true, Prime 2 (and maybe bundled with 3 like Pikmin 1/2) can be Gamecube remaster shadowdropped of september or february direct.

But the good news it that we are more near of full Prime 4 reveal.

Prime 2 shadowdrop at a September Direct is plausible. I think people kinda expect the Gamecube shadowdrops to be a trend at least until the end of the Switch's life. I was feeling Luigi's Mansion 1 was a good contender just cause it would line up close to the start of the Halloween season and that they're porting LM2 to Switch.

Zelda stuff besides TotK DLC happening doesn't make a whole lot of sense though. I guess they could announce a Zelda game and hold onto it until 2024 but why even do that and not just hold it as a February Direct reveal?

Metroid Prime Remastered held up on its own because it was such a great remaster.

I wonder with a simpler Metroid Prime 2 announcement they’ll finally show Prime 4 with it too.

Prime 2 shadowdrop at a September Direct is plausible. I think people kinda expect the Gamecube shadowdrops to be a trend at least until the end of the Switch's life. I was feeling Luigi's Mansion 1 was a good contender just cause it would line up close to the start of the Halloween season and that they're porting LM2 to Switch.

Zelda stuff besides TotK DLC happening doesn't make a whole lot of sense though. I guess they could announce a Zelda game and hold onto it until 2024 but why even do that and not just hold it as a February Direct reveal?
The Zelda stuff could just be the Lego set, which would be announced on Twitter and YouTube. No ties to a direct.

F-Zero GX and Paper Mario alway gave me the feel of full fledged release that do not promote anything, maybe those are not shadodrop but Full normal announcment for the 2024 transistion year

Prime 2 was a big leap in graphic quality over Prime (which was already a benchmark for its time). So I would be ok with just an HD upscale and better controls if that means we can have the trilogy before 4, I'm very satisfied with how Pikmin 1+2 and sunshine looks. I loved the game back in the day, it's not as great as Prime as it is a bit more linear, but the oppressive atmosphere is unrivaled as of today imo.

Regarding Zelda, maybe we will get some sort of Zelda 99 to replace Pac-man 99, but I don't think they will announce a big game/remaster so close to TotK. The dream would be Four Swords Adventures for the NSO, of course.

The one thing I would hope if TP's remaster gets released this year is that it means Wolf Link gets added back to TOTK, too.

It really wasn't the same, scanning that amiibo and not getting my lil buddy to materialize again...

I knew this is how the hypothetical re-release of the best Prime game would go but it is what it is.

Just having it again would be nice regardless.

I think there's a mid ground between HD upres port and full asset remake. It not being the same effort as MPR doesn't automatically mean it's gonna be a simple port like the Ragi ports of Pikmin 1 + 2.

I think revamped textures, new lighting if we're lucky and new controls is the way to go, much like the Zelda Wii U remasters. Maybe they even can reuse the Samus model from MPR.

On it being a soonish thing... I have my doubts. Even as more bare bones remasters I'd be more inclined to believe those would come after MP4 is out.

The few possibilities I see:
  • Metroid Prime 4 revealed and dated for early 2024, Metroid Prime 2 + 3 shadowdropped;
  • Metroid Prime 2 HD shadowdropped, Metroid Prime 4 revealed(2024), Metroid Prime 3 HD shadowdropped or announced in advance in February, MP4 releases Fall 2024.

On the Zelda stuff, I think it might be the LEGO set or something unrelated to games, because literally why release a game the same year as TotK??

August being empty and generally having Indie World might point to the exciting possibility of Cadence of Hyrule 2(even tho I honestly would prefer another indie collab with either Mario or Metroid), which could be something that would benefit of coming in the year everyone is talking about Zelda.

Ocarina of Time 25???? Not a remake obviously, an NSO battle royale game of 25 people speed running a procedurally generated dungeon with OoT style.

Maybe a Zelda 99 with NES/SNES graphics can be another possibility. Or a new Four Swords game that's a new addition to the 99 series.

A goofy spin off tho would be the most welcomed possibility tho imo but I think it's the least likely one.

Would be excited for this, especially remastered versions!
I am ashamed to say I've only played Metroid Prime 1 :O

PS: How do people commonly rank these 3?

General opinion would be 1 is the best, and then i really don't know, Echoes has fans, Corruption does too.

If they release TP: HD this gen I’d really like them to review some retextures work. Some of them look like those fan made HD texture packs out there.
I played the original on a GC with CRT and even though the texture were blurry it looked great.

Also I wonder how much work would be remove those hyrule field loading zones.

But if I could choose I prefer them to release TP with a new lighting engine on next gen system.

Boss man Nate keeping out excitement in check lol. The man is right though. Could even be Zelda oracle games coming to GBA
He gets blamed unfairly when expectations are set too high by other leakers, I feel like he has to do this to keep the trolls away.

Hasn't Grubb been wrong in like, a lot of Nintendo-related things lately?
not really. He usually gets word on a direct before most. His biggest blunder was saying WW/TP HD ports were done are probably going to be announced during a september direct either last year or the year before. Obviously that didn't happen but with Nintendo nowadays he could've been right about it being done and ready to go whenever Nintendo wanted. Metroid Prime Remastered he like 5 weeks off but he obviously knew the game was done and likely had a source who had finished work on it many months before release and the expectation at the time was a late 2022 release.

If he's right about MP2 then it seems to me it's because of a shift in the release window for MP 4.

With that said he's definitely not a lock like he is with practically every other dev lmfao.

This is the year that Twilight Princess HD gets ported, right?

5cmhnv.jpg
I can finally sell my Wii U copy
and my Wii one, and my GC one

november 2024 lul

I actually see this coming in Q2 next year. Maybe they put out two GC remasters after next February's direct
i dont think they will announce two games at once, so if they really are dropping echoes only at this time mp4 is probably late 2024

Since it's been 4 years since the remake of Link's Awakening, it's probably a game made by Grezzo, maybe a remake of ALTTP.

Boss man Nate keeping out excitement in check lol. The man is right though. Could even be Zelda oracle games coming to GBA
The Oracle games are already confirmed for GB NSO, but it will be interesting to see if you can play them through the GBA app and therefore unlock the Advance Shop.

Personally, I'd say it goes 1>3>2, but the more common ranking I've seen has 3 as the worst and then usually 1 but maybe 2 as the best.

I think it sorta comes down to how you feel about 2's increased difficulty and dual world mechanic, and 3's introducing bigger set pieces, segmenting the game across multiple planets, and having actual NPCs.

Cadence of Hyrule 2 anyone? Am I the only one who loved this game?
I own a copy of thus. I just haven't gotten to it.
It's on my shortlist of games to get to, sitting right next to the Switch. Game progress has just been ... slow.

But every time I think of it, I'm excited to actually get to it.

August being empty and generally having Indie World might point to the exciting possibility of Cadence of Hyrule 2(even tho I honestly would prefer another indie collab with either Mario or Metroid)
Indie Zelda spinoff thoughts:
A new 2D Zelda is a must, absolutely. One thought I've had on the matter combines some particular Switch functionality with Aonuma's stated desire to rethink single-vs-multiplayer as a series convention, all while answering some certain fan requests.

In this concept, the player controls both Link and Zelda simultaneously, each character mapped to their own Joy-Con™, requiring the use of both to properly solve puzzles, traverse the world, navigate social encounters, and engage in combat -- all while allowing for instant single-to-multiplayer action.

This would, of course, be treated as a full-on mainline 2D title and thus doesn't quite fit into the topic of spinoffs.

One idea that does fit into that category, however, follows from the Cadence of Hyrule school of thought, where an indie title was allowed to translate its concept into a The Legend of Zelda setting.

The title under consideration here is former Apple Arcade exclusive Bleak Sword.

For spinoff purposes, it would likely take its high-octane retro-inspired diorama scene concept and structure it more akin to a Zelda title. Now there are scenes that are focused on combat and scenes that are focused more on puzzle-solving (puzzle dioramas similar to the earlier Zelda-based Captain Toad), put together in a manner that vaguely emulates classic Zelda structure, each diorama scene analogous to the individual rooms of old Zelda games.

Something like this would likely retain much of Zelda's prestige aura, a more indie art house take, if you will.

Curious if you have any sort of thoughts on those Mario and Metroid collabs

In the end, though, there's nothing to say the Zelda news is even a game. There's certainly enough smoke around unannounced fires.

Hmm, so if Prime 2 is expected to be seperate from Prime 3 unlike Pikmin 1+2, then I wonder if Prime 2 is shown in the September Direct then we won't actually see Prime 4 until all 3 games are announced?

Not personally interested in Zelda/Metroid remasters right now tbh. Hoping we get a new 2D Zelda.

Personally, I'd say it goes 1>3>2, but the more common ranking I've seen has 3 as the worst and then usually 1 but maybe 2 as the best.

I think it sorta comes down to how you feel about 2's increased difficulty and dual world mechanic, and 3's introducing bigger set pieces, segmenting the game across multiple planets, and having actual NPCs.
1 is definitely ranked the highest. 3 seems to be ranked higher than 2 reading through online. But it’s probably a small edge

The impression I've generally gotten is that Prime is usually ranked highest, but it's not exactly uncommon for Echoes to take that spot, with Corruption usually being last.

Really, they're surprisingly different from each other, which can dictate how any individual will rank them.

Prime is most analogous to Super in first-person 3D, whereas Echoes goes for more of a Zelda route in some ways, and Corruption is more of your NPC-populated planet-hopping first-person shooter.

Hmm, so if Prime 2 is expected to be seperate from Prime 3 unlike Pikmin 1+2, then I wonder if Prime 2 is shown in the September Direct then we won't actually see Prime 4 until all 3 games are announced?
To me Prime 4 could come between now and when Switch 2 is announced.

Watch it not be a game, rather something official about a movie in the wake of TotK.

Price MP2:E HD at £19.99 or below and you have a deal.

yeah i cant imagine this being a zelda game. Especially after their biggest release in years.

Cadence of Hyrule 2 anyone? Am I the only one who loved this game?
Nah, that game is awesome and needs more love. The developer is making Rift of the Necrodancer right now though, and considering they had to layoff a chunk of staff earlier in the year, I doubt they have a second game in their pipeline, Zelda or no.

People have mentioned that this could be a non-gaming thing, and something like the announcement of a Zelda section of Super Nintendo World feels possible, but would Grubb tease something that isn't a game? Has he done that before?

They released Pikmin 1+2 a month before 4's release, so I don't think they need a large gap between Prime 2/3 and 4. MPR likely got its own space since it was such a big effort compared to other nintendo remasters. Assuming Prime 2/3 aren't as ambitious, I can see them quietly shadowdropping them after MP4 is given a release date. I know Grubb didn't say anything about MP3, but I still believe it will be announced alongside MP2.

I really hope that Nintendo does not announce Prime 2 upscale without any updates on Prime 4. That would just be ridiculous. I can't rule it out, unfortunately.

Remember that the last few things Jeff said were MP and WW/TP at the September 2022 Direct, maybe next Switch this year, and some Nintendo presentation in July (while we had a big Direct in June). I really like him, but I don't think these rumors now are true.

TOTK is more than enough Zelda for this year, I think they're gonna give it a lot more breathing room until something meaningful (port, remake, remaster, 2D title) comes out. They can wait much longer for that, especially with how long mainline Zelda games take. And Metroid, I don't know. I think Prime 4 is too close to have the rest of the trilogy release before it.

My hope is because Prime Remastered was handled by multiple studios, one of which was Iron Galaxy Studios, Retro set the benchmark, plus all the tools necessary to make Prime 2 and 3 happen in full remastered form. Even though Retro are busy with Prime 4, it is still possible for a few members of the team to assist the other studios if needed.

I think if Prime 2 & 3 are announced at the same time for a Switch release during say the September Direct, then they're simply HD ports. But if it's only Prime 2 being shown as Prime 2 Remastered like Prime 1 before it, then it's almost guaranteed the entire trilogy is getting this kind of treatment that it ultimately deserves.

It's our time (to be disappointed again) Wind Waker bros

Back
Top Bottom