• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Jeff Grubb: Metroid Prime 2 Remastered coming "relatively soonish", and "Something unrelated to TotK is happening with Zelda later this year"

yeah, this was leaked a year ago

zelda-lego_leak.jpg
A separate Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom Deku Tree sets? Does that mean we'll also get separate sets for each of the Zelda games?

A separate Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom Deku Tree sets? Does that mean we'll also get separate sets for each of the Zelda games?
It's a single set where you can make either Deku Tree. That's why OoT Young Link and BotW Link/Zelda are in both pics rather then just with their respective Deku Tree.

If there's anything I've learned with Grubb (or just prominent Nintendo journalists in general) is to trust the games and not the timeframes. I fully buy that MP2 is close to finished, and that something Zelda that isn't TotK was planned for 2023 at some point. But given Nintendo's track record of sitting on games and shuffling their schedule, I'm not gonna get my hopes up for either actually hitting these respective timeframes.

If they do, awesome. Just gonna keep my expectations in check given how it's gone in the past.

Yeah the Zelda is something brand related more then game related

Also as many said Prime 2 can exist but it does not mean we are going to see it this year

I think Metroid Prime 2+3 can happen, with MP4 coming in March/May 2024.

I don't see MP2 being a standalone release unless it's the same effort as MPR. And if that's the case, I think it'd better be saved for after MP4 releases.

MP3, due to the controls needing major reworking, might be a case for a standalone release. For example, the graphical upgrade to Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD is miles above that of Skyward Sword HD. But Skyward Sword HD probably took more time to make with the amount of work required to translate the pointer controls to dual analogue and gyro.

But again MPR was a major effort with full graphical remake and dual analogue controls and was 40$ and shadowdrop. If MP2/3 are similar efforts in controls but a level below in visuals, it might make a case for a double pack like Pikmin.

In the end, we'll just wait and see. I'm maintaining my prediction of Metroid Prime 4 reveal/release date trailer followed by Metroid Samus Returns shadowdropped, with Metroid Prime 2 and 3 Remastered in 2025.

MP3 needs more than a controls-reworking, the hand-holding and extremely easy combat make it come off as very dated (from that very specific 2005 to 2011 era) and there's too many uninteresting mini-games.

If Prime 4 was early 2024, I think Nintendo would have shown it at replacement e3 so I imagine it's 2H 2024 at earliest.

Some comments on this thread made me want a "Ocarina of Time Anniversary"(OoT 3D HD) to be shadowdropped in September with a December physical release. Damn why can't it happen lol.

Also I'm now wondering what would be the Zelda release of 2023 when TotK was supposed to be 2022. 2022 ended up having no Zelda game so I think the 2023 game would be better slipping to 2024 than pushed forward to 2022.

Ocarina of Time Anniversary would be a hell of a release tho.

Some comments on this thread made me want a "Ocarina of Time Anniversary"(OoT 3D HD) to be shadowdropped in September with a December physical release. Damn why can't it happen lol.

Also I'm now wondering what would be the Zelda release of 2023 when TotK was supposed to be 2022. 2022 ended up having no Zelda game so I think the 2023 game would be better slipping to 2024 than pushed forward to 2022.

They have Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD ports ready to release at any time when they have a year without a Zelda game. Guessing they'll release those separately to fill in two separate years moving forward.

I'd love that too although after so many replays I'm not looking that much forward to it unless they put some effort.
Things is that would probably require lot of work, I don't think the 3DS assets are good enough.

MP3 needs more than a controls-reworking, the hand-holding and extremely easy combat make it come off as very dated (from that very specific 2005 to 2011 era) and there's too many uninteresting mini-games.

If Prime 4 was early 2024, I think Nintendo would have shown it at replacement e3 so I imagine it's 2H 2024 at earliest.
NIntendo announced and showed off a bunch of stuff for this fall during the June Direct so I see no reason they won't "announce" (as in finally show some footage of) a March/April 2024 MP4 in September.

MP3 with reworks just needs:

• replace the ship missle ammo upgrades with more energy tanks
  • make x button grapple and + button hypermode for dual analog controls (since the MP3 pause menu and map menu are the same button)
  • replace motion control prompts with button/stick prompts
  • reduce the damage of hyper mode and reduce the health of hypermode enemies (or just increase non-hyper-mode damage)

? If anything it’s easier because of more precise controls lol

Metroid prime 3 is still more complex than prime 1 was, and they didn't touch the combat in that.

Seriously, Prime 1 combat is such a joke, the most complex it gets is colour coding enemies. Otherwise, you've seen practically everything it has in complexity before you're off the tutorial space station.

Metroid prime 3 is still more complex than prime 1 was, and they didn't touch the combat in that.

Seriously, Prime 1 combat is such a joke, the most complex it gets is colour coding enemies. Otherwise, you've seen practically everything it has in complexity before you're off the tutorial space station.

Prime 3 has a lot of potentially interesting interactions and mechanics (and has very well designed platforming and puzzles), they just did a terrible job balancing hypermode and put way too much handholding in the game.

I mean, the game would barely function with the weak spot enemies without very aggressive aim assist towards the weak spots so I assume that there will be extremely aggressive aim assist.
i don't mean the aim assist, I mean that mogenar is a much harder when you don't have the ability to move the cursor around while still locked on to mogenar. And the Ridley column fight is basically just a lightgun boss fight which is going to be much harder on dual analog for obvious reasons.

i don't mean the aim assist, I mean that mogenar is a much harder when you don't have the ability to move the cursor around while still locked on to mogenar. And the Ridley column fight is basically just a lightgun boss fight which is going to be much harder on dual analog for obvious reasons.
Why wouldn't you have that ability?

You can actually enable moving the crosshair while locked on in Metroid Prime Remaster.
It works better with the Gyro than the Stick and the wii pointer is obviously better than the gyro in handheld mode, but it's very doable.
In TV mode with gyro its pretty much on par with the Wii version.

Missile cancelling and Super Missiles are a lot of fun in Prime 1. I otherwise agree, for the most part.

Why wouldn't you have that ability?

You can actually enable moving the crosshair while locked on in Metroid Prime Remaster.
It works better with the Gyro than the Stick and the wii pointer is obviously better than the gyro in handheld mode, but it's very doable.
In TV mode with gyro its pretty much on par with the Wii version.
And you can do it on Primehack on Steamdeck but it's still terrible for both of those MP3 boss fights. Dual Analog works better than the original controls for Prime 1 and Prime 2 but does not work nearly as well for Prime 3.

Yeah, im very worried about how Prime 3 will turn out. The motion controls on Prime R are garbage, and dual analogue ain't gonna + gyro ain't gonna cut it with so much of Prime 3 designed around the lock on free aim.

I love the wii controls, but sadly I also couldn’t get them to work very well on the Remastered version. Some people say they feel great but I just couldn’t get it right.

I opted for dual stick and low sensitivity gyro. Felt great.

I love the wii controls, but sadly I also couldn’t get them to work very well on the Remastered version. Some people say they feel great but I just couldn’t get it right.

I opted for dual stick and low sensitivity gyro. Felt great.
The issue is that pointer controls will inevitably drift horizontally if they dont have an external reference. The wiimote had the infrared sensor bar for an external reference that, combined with internal accelerometer, was enough for consistent driftless pointer controls. The joycons only have internal references (gyros and accelerometers).

It's really dumb how people keep insisting that an MP2 remaster would be "lower effort" than MPR, while still supposedly being anything like MPR. Either they replace all the art assets or they don't. There's no middle ground between a "simple" remaster/rerelease (which Nintendo would more likely do via emulation, like they just did with Pikmin, if that's all the effort they were willing to undergo) and MPR. I've yet to see someone even try to define what that would be.

Unrelated: the motion controls in MPR are good, actually. It's gyro so it requires recentering sometimes, but that's about it. Otherwise it works very well. I played entirely with separated Joycons, and having been a big fan of the Trilogy controls back in the day, it was a good substitute.

It's really dumb how people keep insisting that an MP2 remaster would be "lower effort" than MPR, while still supposedly being anything like MPR. Either they replace all the art assets or they don't. There's no middle ground between a "simple" remaster/rerelease (which Nintendo would more likely do via emulation, like they just did with Pikmin, if that's all the effort they were willing to undergo) and MPR. I've yet to see someone even try to define what that would be.

Unrelated: the motion controls in MPR are good, actually. It's gyro so it requires recentering sometimes, but that's about it. Otherwise it works very well. I played entirely with separated Joycons, and having been a big fan of the Trilogy controls back in the day, it was a good substitute.
Well, I think there's a whole jump from full asset remaking a game or going for a simple remaster that includes new textures or lighting and leaves the models/world unchanged or just tweaked.

Twilight Princess HD, Wind Waker HD, TLOU Remastered, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, and many more have gone for that approach of making new textures or reworking textures, going for better lighting, some examples do make new models but maintain some of the world building the same(I think Majora's Mask HD didn't go for remarking every asset and terrain?). It's a monumentally higher effort than emulated or up res remasters like Pikmin 1+2 or the 3D All Stars. We also have Skyward Sword HD that while was mostly an upres + texture filtering graphically, had to heavily rework the controls.

I think TLOU Remastered vs TLOU Part I vs simply playing PS3 TLOU at 1080p should clarify what I mean. TLOU Remastered being what some of us expect from MP2/3, TLOU Part I being the Metroid Prime Remastered effort and emulating/upscaling TLOU being the "simple port" like Pikmin 1+2.

Well, I think there's a whole jump from full asset remaking a game or going for a simple remaster that includes new textures or lighting and leaves the models/world unchanged or just tweaked.

Twilight Princess HD, Wind Waker HD, TLOU Remastered, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, and many more have gone for that approach of making new textures or reworking textures, going for better lighting, some examples do make new models but maintain some of the world building the same(I think Majora's Mask HD didn't go for remarking every asset and terrain?). It's a monumentally higher effort than emulated or up res remasters like Pikmin 1+2 or the 3D All Stars. We also have Skyward Sword HD that while was mostly an upres + texture filtering graphically, had to heavily rework the controls.

I think TLOU Remastered vs TLOU Part I vs simply playing PS3 TLOU at 1080p should clarify what I mean. TLOU Remastered being what some of us expect from MP2/3, TLOU Part I being the Metroid Prime Remastered effort and emulating/upscaling TLOU being the "simple port" like Pikmin 1+2.
TPHD isn't anything like MPR. It's just drop-in replacements for higher res versions of textures, a few extra polys on specific models, and new lighting. Personally I don't see that happening for Prime 2 or 3, and I think a Hagi rerelease would be more likely if Nintendo wasn't interested in a major remaster, but that's not really the point. The point is that TPHD is a "simple" remaster and MPR is a "remake-level" one and there simply is no in-between, but Grubb and others who claim to know what's happening are still saying there is. They don't say it will just be a simple HD reskin, but that it will be like MPR but "less effort." And that doesn't make any sense.

In regards to Metroid Prime 3, that one certainly can’t be “less effort”. It would need a complete rework much like Skyward Sword to make it playable without motion controls.

Yeah I too cannot see the middle ground, is either like MPR or not, how can you even do a lesseer MPR?
I imagine something like TP HD. Geometry stays the same, some textures are refined and the game runs at 60fps HD. I'd be disappointed but I'd gladly take it, the only Prime I haven't played.

I imagine something like TP HD. Geometry stays the same, some textures are refined and the game runs at 60fps HD. I'd be disappointed but I'd gladly take it, the only Prime I haven't played.
Fuck if they want me to triple dip on TP, they need more effort than a simple port from Wii U. What TP HD really needs on switch/2, is the Xenoblade DS treatment. The polygons are awful. Especially Link's hair. Better they redo them. And yes, more consistent HD textures.

Fuck if they want me to triple dip on TP, they need more effort than a simple port from Wii U. What TP HD really needs on switch/2, is the Xenoblade DS treatment. The polygons are awful. Especially Link's hair. Better they redo them. And yes, more consistent HD textures.
I was talking about what I'd expect for MP2 if it's remade like the first and used TP HD as a reference. But since you mentioned it, I honestly think we are getting a straight Wii U port of TP HD no extra work.

I honestly don't think we'll see WWHD or TPHD since both games would need to be reworked for the Switch.

On top of that they would need to remove the Miiverse features from Wind Waker and that could be a pain in the ass to do.

I honestly don't think we'll see WWHD or TPHD since both games would need to be reworked for the Switch.

On top of that they would need to remove the Miiverse features from Wind Waker and that could be a pain in the ass to do.

Isn't re-working Wii U games for the Switch something we've seen on a regular basis?

I wonder what they could replace the Tingle Bottle with.

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that seeing Sanctuary Fortress with HD treatment would make me giddy.

Then I started thinking about Wind Waker HD on the OLED.

… I like these rumors.

TPHD isn't anything like MPR. It's just drop-in replacements for higher res versions of textures, a few extra polys on specific models, and new lighting. Personally I don't see that happening for Prime 2 or 3, and I think a Hagi rerelease would be more likely if Nintendo wasn't interested in a major remaster, but that's not really the point. The point is that TPHD is a "simple" remaster and MPR is a "remake-level" one and there simply is no in-between, but Grubb and others who claim to know what's happening are still saying there is. They don't say it will just be a simple HD reskin, but that it will be like MPR but "less effort." And that doesn't make any sense.

Dropping in of NVIDIA AI generated textures (and maybe AI generated shadow maps) would probably be viewed more positively than a Pikmin 1+2 remaster visually while not being as impressive as MPR. IDK.

They reworked goddamn Tokyo Mirage Sessions' dual screen features to work on one single screen, I think they will take the time to do more for Zelda.

I imagine something closer to Xenoblade definitive edition?
That was certainly lower effort than MPR, retaining the old maps but replaced character models.

It's more effort than a texture replacement remaster like Twilight Princess but less tha Metroid Prime.

I imagine something closer to Xenoblade definitive edition?
That was certainly lower effort than MPR, retaining the old maps but replaced character models.

It's more effort than a texture replacement remaster like Twilight Princess but less tha Metroid Prime.
Belmont said that nintendo was looking for replacements for retro and that mp1r would be used as a basis.

So i think this might be right.

I think it's delusional to expect any actual remasters for MP2, MP3. I think it's realistic to expect a port of the 16:9 wii editions upscaled. Just like Galaxy, and PIkmin 1+2. Prime 1 got the higher budget treatment, but no way the rest follow anything other than quick budget ports if at all.

I think if it's called "Remastered" we would have to expect a remaster like MP1. Nintendo is very honest in how they name their games. When it's just a port they just name the game the same (Pikmin1+2), when it's a port with HD textures (and sometimes improved lighting) they call it HD (TPHD, WWHD, SSHD), and when it's a remaster they call it "remastered" with the obvious example of MPR.

Prime 1 remastered didn't sell that wild. Would a barer Prime 2 and 3 even sell at the same price that game got, which was already pretty discounted.

HD ports would be a lot cheaper than recreating the entire games in the new engine so they probably don't need a high amount of sales to make a profit.

Prime 1 remastered didn't sell that wild. Would a barer Prime 2 and 3 even sell at the same price that game got, which was already pretty discounted.
It was showdow dropped, had no physical release for 2 weeks, and said physical release was extremely limited, yet it still sold a million in a month, I don't know what the hell your expectations were but I'm pretty sure Nintendo is happy

Pikmin 1 and 2 are $25 or equivalent each while Prime 1 was $40, yeah? I dunno why anyone would assume they'd be priced the same if they're significantly lower effort.

It was showdow dropped, had no physical release for 2 weeks, and said physical release was extremely limited, yet it still sold a million in a month, I don't know what the hell your expectations were but I'm pretty sure Nintendo is happy
People can be snobby about others expectations now all they like, but before we got numbers, the vast majority of the forum thought it would do a lot better than 1m. Given how front loaded sales like this are, it's probably not going to get to 2m. It was a 1.09m in almost 2 months anyway (51 days), not a month.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom