• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion How much do you think Metroid Prime Remastered will sell?

How much will Metroid Prime Remastered sell?

• >5m

Votes: 26 7.2%
  • 4-5m

Votes: 33 9.2%
  • 3-4m

Votes: 63 17.5%
  • 2-3m

Votes: 125 34.8%
  • 1-2m

Votes: 103 28.7%
  • <1m

Votes: 9 2.5%

• Total voters

Leo

Inkling
Pronouns
He/Him
The fabled Metroid Prime remaster being shadow dropped caught everyone off guard and we're navigating uncharted waters now in regards to its sales potential.

The original release sold 2,8m on the Game Cube. The most recent Metroid game (Dread) sold 3m on the Switch. Some say Prime has a better chance of selling more because it's a 3D game. Although this one in particular didn't have much of a marketing campaign or a hype cycle. Then again, it's 40 dollars, so it might be an easier sell. So many variables to consider!

So I thought it would be very interesting to see what people think about how much the game will sell. Not an easy prediction, and I honestly feel like any of the poll options could happen.

Personally, I believe it will end up selling less than Dread, so between 1 and 2 million. I think since no marketing, it will be restricted to enthusiast circles. I really hope I'm wrong, though!

What do you think?

Last edited:
I've never been much of a participant in sales discussions, but I'm optimistically guessing 2-3 million. Overall, I think the positive buzz, the quality of the remaster, and the $40 price point will help it get to that range.

Metroid sales seem to be very front-loaded, however, so we will probably have a good idea where it will end up after the next report. I certainly don't want to guess too high of a number right now.

about the same as Dread although Prime remastered sales will be from over a long time unlike dread which got most of it's sales in the first 3 months

Difficult to say. I think early sales might be lower but i think with strong word of mouth it might pick up. I dont want to give a number.

Better then your expectations.

Far better then Nintendo will be happy with

And lastly.

I don’t think they’re losing any sales with the shadow drop. The lower price of entry is what makes me feel this shadow drop is a good idea

Nearly went 2-3m but ended up going 3-4. The price point, plus the rave reviews and impressions it's getting, are making me optimistic.

3 million. I am willing this into existence.

I want it to sell more, of course. But I need it to at least reach 3 million.

In a just world, it would be doing well over 5 million and beyond. But sadly, Metroid is one of Nintendo’s biggest niche titles that just doesn’t catch on for some reason. So I’d reckon around 2-3million, and I feel I’m being generous there… which is even more sad with that $40 price tag.

I don’t think they’re losing any sales with the shadow drop. The lower price of entry is what makes me feel this shadow drop is a good idea
Yup the shadowdrop + lower price combo will help MP remake’s performance a ton.

I think 2-3 million is the safe bet. The important part about this remake is laying the groundwork for Metroid Prime 4.

I think just shy of the original release, so a little over 2 million. If it ends up surpassing it I’ll be very happy, and if it passes Dread I’ll be in awe.
Regardless, it really feels good that Metroid is truly back and between Dread and Prime Remaster it’s doing better than ever.

Tricky to call at the moment tbh. A year or so ago I would have a remaster of this quality would clear 3-4m easy, but current market indicates that software sales are weakening a bit, and the platform itself is declining. Additionally it's being released around a bunch of other stuff, and Zelda is around the corner too. I think it definitely outsells the original though, albeit it might not do it immediately like Dread did.
Did we ever end up hearing how much Dread actually sold past the first report of 2.9mil?
Well the first number was 2.74, then it hit 2.9 in the subsequent quarter. We should get updated numbers from the FY release I think. So hopefully it's had some decent legs.

Tricky to call at the moment tbh. A year or so ago I would have a remaster of this quality would clear 3-4m easy, but current market indicates that software sales are weakening a bit, and the platform itself is declining. Additionally it's being released around a bunch of other stuff, and Zelda is around the corner too. I think it definitely outsells the original though, albeit it might not do it immediately like Dread did.

Well the first number was 2.74, then it hit 2.9 in the subsequent quarter. We should get updated numbers from the FY release I think. So hopefully it's had some decent legs.
When was the last FY release?

plus the only include updated FY for games if they sold 1M or more during that 12 months

Last edited:
When was the last FY release?

plus the only include updated FY for games if they sold 1M or more during that 12 months
Right that's true, unlikely for it to show up then. I was actually also thinking the CESA white book would have an update for us, but the next release of that would only cover up till the end of 2021 I believe, so that wouldn't tell us anything new either. We might get an update from Nintendo due to MP1R sales numbers though.

Previous FY release was in May 2022 btw.

1-2m. A little more if it's lucky.

Minimal advertising and a delayed retail release will hurt the opening sales and it's never been a particularly long legged franchise.

Hard to gauge since it’s a premiere title that was shadowdropped at a 40 dollar price tag. 2-3 million sounds about right, it’s still a 20 year old game that’s been playable in multiple formats and consoles so you’re not gonna get a ton of mileage out of it but it will definitely fill a niche for more hardcore action/adventure Switch gaming until Zelda. Will be curious where it’s at in the next fiscal quarter.

It's probably gonna sell about the same level as Dread, the original NES game and the original Prime, so 2-3M(even tho I think Dread will end up on 4M).

The already lower price, that on sale will go below 30 US$, will make it WAY leggier than Dread tho. I think by the end of the FY we'll learn shipped + digital was about 1M(being conservative in order not to be disappointed lol). But we'll learn eventually it's gone way beyond that.

We have to take into account the ~95 MC it got, the great WoM, the effect the surprise drop had(everyone talking abou this), it's #1 on the US eShop (let's how long it stays on the top 10 and we might have a clue, if it charts on NPD it'll mean it did incredibly well), and, to me the crucial point - it's the cheapest Nintendo game available alongside Switch Sports. When the physical version comes, it'll be the literal cheapest Nintendo game on stores. Being the cheapest Mario game available made Mario + Rabbids sell extremely well on the long run. I expect the same for MPR.

I'm going to be pessimistic and say 1-2 million, with 1.5-1.6 mil being the most realistic outcome. That's still pretty good for a Metroid shadow drop but, no marketing plus all the other franchise circumstances will limit it.

I’m going with 4.4 million. It depends on if they market it much ahead of its retail release, as a sort of soft re-launch.

I’m also guessing it’s already exceeded one million digitally.

All I know is I haven’t bought it yet and it’s making me feel guilty

It looks amazing Nintendo, you’re doing great

I think, like Dread, it's going to land in the 3 to 4 million range. I think the release strategy from Nintendo shows a lot of confidence in the product - they know people have wanted this on Switch for years now, and they know the game is great enough to speak for itself. The digital first surprise release generates easy buzz; I even wonder if one reason the Direct was low on new announcements from Nintendo was because Prime R was launching that day and Nintendo wanted focus on it. Even without reviews, gaming websites are raving about it, and those first few days and weeks of digital sales grants the game some easy visibility and positive word of mouth ahead of it hitting store shelves and online retailers.

So I'm optimistic on this one. Lower price point, the legendary reputation of the original, renewed interest in the series after Dread, high quality remaster, pent up demand for the title on Switch, and the buzz generated by the nature of the release will hopefully power it along. It might even get renewed sales if we get further news on the Prime series later this year...

I'm actually really interested in this, not just as a Metroid fan, but to see whether shadowdropping a game has a positive impact on game sales, especially if it's in impulse buy territory. I'd expect 2-3m like most best selling Metroids, but if it breaks the 3M mark that'll be ace.

I'm just glad a new generation of gamers get the chance to play this magnificent game

Real answer? I don't care as long as it's enough to make Nintendo reconsider and give Echoes and Corruption a similar remake/remaster treatment.

Before or after Prime 4, i don't care.

I think (and hope!) that it will outsell the original GC release, possibly all previous releases combined. That is what they and the franchise deserve at least.
The word of mouth seems amazing but the shadowdrop completely cut any marketing the release may have had and I do think many Switch owners don't really now about Metroid yet.

However seeing that Dread sold almost 3 million (?), Prime should be able to match and exceed that.

you people seriously overestimate how well metroid sells if you think its gonna pull in 5 million copies
Maybe so. But the original almost made it to 3 million, and that was on the GameCube. If we take into account that good old Switch sales boost, then perhaps 4 million isn't so crazy.

you people seriously overestimate how well metroid sells if you think its gonna pull in 5 million copies

I think if the game had a normal marketing cycle, 5 million would be very doable.

As it is, I honestly don't know, but I think it's unlikely.

I'm still remembering when people were convinced Dread was going to do way better than it did, and despite it surely having the highest revenue of any metroidvania in history, hyped themselves in to a spiral of disappointment.

I suspect a similar pattern to dread's sales but less, big opening but no legs. 2 million is my guess

I'm a bit more optimistic and think it'll sell a little over 3 mil in its lifetime. Lower price point + the usual critical acclaim + word of mouth can get it there.

I doubt it'll get close to 4 mil though.

Metroid series sales are kind of weird in that the series doesn't sell nearly as badly as fans make it sound like it does (most franchises don't have multiple games that sold over 1 million copies, for instance), but Metroid also never lights the world on fire in terms of sales either. I think around 2 million sales is a pretty safe bet. I personally don't see it outselling Dread, but I would love to be proven wrong.

I do think it's interesting that Metroid fans always act like the Metroid series sales are abysmal when they aren't really that bad. If I had to guess why that is, it's because we believe Metroid should be selling Zelda numbers at least. It's every bit as worthy as that series and it's kind of sad to see the series do "pretty good" instead of amazing.

Metroid series sales are kind of weird in that the series doesn't sell nearly as badly as fans make it sound like it does (most franchises don't have multiple games that sold over 1 million copies, for instance), but Metroid also never lights the world on fire in terms of sales either. I think around 2 million sales is a pretty safe bet. I personally don't see it outselling Dread, but I would love to be proven wrong.

I do think it's interesting that Metroid fans always act like the Metroid series sales are abysmal when they aren't really that bad. If I had to guess why that is, it's because we believe Metroid should be selling Zelda numbers at least. It's every bit as worthy as that series and it's kind of sad to see the series do "pretty good" instead of amazing.

I think it's because, in terms of Prime at least, the series budget is much higher than the average Nintendo franchise.

But yeah, Dread was a success and so will Prime. Prime 4 had a troubled development and it's hard to gauge how much that game would have to sell for Nintendo to be willing to keep investing in the franchise, but Metroid in general sells on par with other Nintendo b tier franchises.

I think this will have better legs than Dread, Prime 4 marketing will keep it going especially at that price point

Back
Top Bottom