• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion How much do you think Metroid Prime Remastered will sell?

How much will Metroid Prime Remastered sell?

• >5m

Votes: 26 7.2%
  • 4-5m

Votes: 33 9.2%
  • 3-4m

Votes: 63 17.5%
  • 2-3m

Votes: 125 34.8%
  • 1-2m

Votes: 103 28.7%
  • <1m

Votes: 9 2.5%

• Total voters
Switch has a different audience then the Wii (just look at software adoption, there where millions of wiis that did not see any other software then Wii sports and maybe mario kart), marketing over word of mouth and social media is way more prevelant
its easiere to just go to the eshop and check if out if youre interested later on.

I expect dread to cross the 4 millions LTS, and i expect Prime to be 3-4M LTS. Will it be the bulk at the start? yeah. Will there be no legs? i just dont think the current gaming landscape (social media, digital storefronts and sales) are comparable to physical retail space 1-2 decades ago. Heck, during the end of the GC times retails space for GC was cut down heavily since PS2 was just selling so much better.

you see indie games and older titles on the regular sell additional hundred tousands over a long period. Heck, just look at Hollow Knights sale over the years. Its an hard indie metroidvania game, without big marketing push. MP (and dread to an extend) will get additional sales when MP4 is released, and going by how it was presented and how it presumable will be looking i assume it will be positioned as a AAA graphics showcase for switch (as far as thats possible anyway)

Nothing you said discredits anything I said though, Metroid has time and again tried to break through its barrier, and anytime people think 'this is the moment' it doesn't happen. Metroid Dread was about as good as a return to form for the 2D series as you could expect and it's struggling to move any units passed its first 3 months of being out, even with sales in post. Admittedly, for a 2D game 3 million is actually quite strong if you contrast it against most other 2D games from Nintendo, but the Prime series has had many times to break this barrier and has failed every single time.

I expect Prime 4 to be the best selling Metroid game if it's a great return to form, but no matter what it sells, it will still likely sell its large bulk within the first few months because that's the kind of fanbase Metroid has. Metroid is much closer to a traditional PS or Xbox IP in terms of its audience draw, and it sells a lot like those as well, very front loaded, unlike a major Nintendo game typically. The only way you could expect otherwise, is if something about the game naturally latches itself onto the conscious of streamers and influencers to keep it in the spotlight, which happened with BOTW, but I'd definitely not go in assuming that will be the case.

Switch has the best audience type for Metroid in a long time, but the draw of Metroid has always been limited due to the very themes that makes it alluring, not everyone wants a lonely isolated space adventure, even if i do.

Add my copy to the bunch!! Couldn't really stop myself and ended up buying it. It's the closest to launch I've ever bought any game and the second Nintendo first party game I bought (first was TMS#FE, all my first party games already came in the console) so hopefully it gives it some luck! Also the 39,99 price made it surely enter the impulse buy territory. I'm telling that as someone directly affected lol.

#2 on the Japanese eShop seems pretty good, considering Metroid hasn't historically performed super well there.

#2 on the Japanese eShop seems pretty good, considering Metroid hasn't historically performed super well there.

Damn that's great!! What's the number one btw? And is the game still #1 on the US?

I think it's great that the series have found its niche in Japan again with Dread, the game did very well there. Hope Prime Remastered does as good too, even tho that seems very hard.

It's still the #1 game on Amazon right? And it's charting very high on most eShops too. I think it's going to be a good seller.

It just went up to #1 on Spanish eShop. I think this is selling WAY better than what Nintendo was anticipating.

Damn that's great!! What's the number one btw? And is the game still #1 on the US?

I think it's great that the series have found its niche in Japan again with Dread, the game did very well there. Hope Prime Remastered does as good too, even tho that seems very hard.

It's still the #1 game on Amazon right? And it's charting very high on most eShops too. I think it's going to be a good seller.
Looks like it moved back down to #3 at the moment. Here's the top six, as of a couple minutes ago:

QggMcFJ.png

Still #1 on the North American eShop, it seems:

6HhkLuM.png

Haven't checked Amazon, but I'm pretty sure it fell from its previously high position.

Wtf the Japanese e-shop logo is way better
You probably know this already, but it's a reversible cover for the Metroid Prime remaster physical edition!
I love how they made the icon for the game as colorful as possible it Japan lol
It's just a remake of the original Japanese box art for the Gamecube:
s-l500.jpg

That being said, your point still stands that the regional difference is fascinating and has a cultural aspect to it.

When will we know if/when it sells a million units? Would we have to wait until the fiscal report in May?
Yeah, we'll probably have to wait until may.
It's only very special cases where a game sells in record breaking levels that Nintendo does PR to tell media(like Pokémon Scarlet and Violet selling 10M on a weekend, Dread and Switch OLED performance until Black Friday, IIRC there was something for Animal Crossing but it was Nikkei or sensor tower idk) or games that would generally struggle to hit 1M or that Nintendo doesn't publish everywhere or third party games like Octopath Traveller and Mario + Rabbids reaching the million milestones and the studios posting art on Twitter.

May we'll know if it did 1M until 31st of March and how much it did beyond that. Other updates on its sales might not happen if it doesn't sell another million on the next FY, but we'll know when CESA White Papers of 2023 come in 2024(I'm waiting eagerly to know where Dread ended up btw).

When will we know if/when it sells a million units? Would we have to wait until the fiscal report in May?
Bowser told us before the report that dread had sold 800.000 copies in the US in october, it could happen.

Last edited:
Honestly it was lower on the JP shop earlier when it released, so good to see it being stable/rising a bit

So... The game's been 2 weeks straight at #1 on US eShop. If Kirby doesn't surpass it, oh boy, those sales are being big. It's also pretty high all around the world and stable. Would be surprised if it didn't make 1M digitally already, before the physical version released today.

Also have to leave this here:

Insane it had a lengthy line lol. Can't wait for the quarter results. Hoping that it sells really well, the game is amazing.

So... The game's been 2 weeks straight at #1 on US eShop. If Kirby doesn't surpass it, oh boy, those sales are being big. It's also pretty high all around the world and stable. Would be surprised if it didn't make 1M digitally already, before the physical version released today.

Also have to leave this here:

Insane it had a lengthy line lol. Can't wait for the quarter results. Hoping that it sells really well, the game is amazing.

The hype during that announcement in this video is beautiful to see. 🥲 Thanks for sharing!

On Thursday, my friend in San Diego could not buy the game in WalMart or Gamestop.
Also I voted 3-4 million.

Don't underestimate what a 95 Metacritic score can do for a game in this day and age. That is a very high / prestige review score that really gets people to notice, and it's a bigger deal than it was back the early 2000's when there weren't a ton of us online reading game reviews.

Elden Ring doesn't hit 20 million copies sold without those prestige reviews, for example.

Tricky to call at the moment tbh. A year or so ago I would have a remaster of this quality would clear 3-4m easy, but current market indicates that software sales are weakening a bit, and the platform itself is declining. Additionally it's being released around a bunch of other stuff, and Zelda is around the corner too. I think it definitely outsells the original though, albeit it might not do it immediately like Dread did.

Well the first number was 2.74, then it hit 2.9 in the subsequent quarter. We should get updated numbers from the FY release I think. So hopefully it's had some decent legs.
Nintendo usually only gives updates on games that sold 1 million during the past year. So if Dread sold 2.9 million in year one, and say, 600,000 after that, we wouldn't likely get an update on that 600,000. Unless it hits a major milestone like 5M we may not get another update on it

Don't underestimate what a 95 Metacritic score can do for a game in this day and age. That is a very high / prestige review score that really gets people to notice, and it's a bigger deal than it was back the early 2000's when there weren't a ton of us online reading game reviews.

Elden Ring doesn't hit 20 million copies sold without those prestige reviews, for example.

Nintendo usually only gives updates on games that sold 1 million during the past year. So if Dread sold 2.9 million in year one, and say, 600,000 after that, we wouldn't likely get an update on that 600,000. Unless it hits a major milestone like 5M we may not get another update on it
Yeah you're right, unless they provide an update on it when giving numbers for MP1R. Otherwise we'll get updated numbers from the CESA paper later this year or whenever that hits.

I'm waiting eagerly for CESA white papers to know where Dread ended up. I mean, sometimes we're quite harsh on bringing up how games such as Tropical Freeze and Pikmin 3 DX sold more than it(and mind you, neither MASSIVELY outsold it), while forgetting we only got to know how much those games sold on CESA, and both had way more time to sell than Dread (I mean, the figures we use of Tropical Freeze to compare to Metroid games is what it sold after 4 years, come on).
I believe it's not reaching to expect it sold about 3.5M or something.

I expect Prime Remastered to outsell that for its price alone and from what we're seeing of evidence - game being #1 on US eShop, even with major games getting sales and Kirby releasing, being still on top 5 even in Japan and in most major eShops worldwide, the game selling out in most retailers to the point even pre-orders were delayed.

I'm waiting eagerly for CESA white papers to know where Dread ended up. I mean, sometimes we're quite harsh on bringing up how games such as Tropical Freeze and Pikmin 3 DX sold more than it(and mind you, neither MASSIVELY outsold it), while forgetting we only got to know how much those games sold on CESA, and both had way more time to sell than Dread (I mean, the figures we use of Tropical Freeze to compare to Metroid games is what it sold after 4 years, come on).

I expect Prime Remastered to outsell that for its price alone and from what we're seeing of evidence - game being #1 on US eShop, even with major games getting sales and Kirby releasing, being still on top 5 even in Japan and in most major eShops worldwide, the game selling out in most retailers to the point even pre-orders were delayed.
I believe Dread will have bumps both from Prime Remastered as well as Prime 4. It might even benefit a bit from Fusion and eventually Zero Mission hitting NSO. Remember we now also have vouchers too, which helps it a lot.

I think those things will help it land between 3.5m-4m, which makes it a very solid franchise for Nintendo, and the kind that caters to a different audience and as such important for the software variety.

I believe Dread will have bumps both from Prime Remastered as well as Prime 4. It might even benefit a bit from Fusion and eventually Zero Mission hitting NSO. Remember we now also have vouchers too, which helps it a lot.

I think those thing will help it land between 3.5m-4m, which makes it a very solid franchise for Nintendo, and the kind that caters to a different audience and as such important for the software variety.
I agree!! It also entered it's first sale last BF, and Prime Remastered players will definitely get a "Jesus I need to play more Metroid" vibes, and Dread is just the game they're looking for.

CESA will cover FY ending March 2023 or only calendar year 2022?

I'm pretty sure Pikmin 3 DX did not sell more. It's like on the low end of 2m units.

I'm pretty sure Pikmin 3 DX did not sell more. It's like on the low end of 2m units.
So the whole argument of the worst takes on the thread of whether Metroid was ever big for Nintendo fell apart lol.
I mean even Tropical Freeze hasn't severely outsold Dread... It got to 4M which is 1M over what we know from Dread - with the difference it had 4 years to sell instead of 2 quarters.

I expect it does at least better than Dread since that seems to be around the floor for a major first party Switch release. The meta score and prestige of Prime should offset the fact that it's a re-release.

Wild. Never would I expect Prime to be chilling at #1 on US eshop for weeks now. Every day I check I expect it to fall and it doesn't. I check my other eshops and it's only going up!

So the whole argument of the worst takes on the thread of whether Metroid was ever big for Nintendo fell apart lol.
I mean even Tropical Freeze hasn't severely outsold Dread... It got to 4M which is 1M over what we know from Dread - with the difference it had 4 years to sell instead of 2 quarters.
Everyone knows that the "metroid is a bomb" thing was massively overblown by haters.

I like to say that "but the 3 million that dread sold feels smaller than the 2,5 million that xenoblade 2 sold!"

I picked up my physical copy after buying it digitally at launch, so there’s my two copies for the cause.

It's the biggest install base a full-on Metroid game has ever released for. The buzz remains crazy strong.

I'm with the proud ~7.2% of responders ... 5 million and beyond, baybee (metroid)!!

Changed my vote again for 4-5M. Probably sold a lot digitally, then releases physically and is sold out in every store while keeping its #1 on the US eShop despite Kirby releasing, and will have another bump with Prime 4 announced, another bump after Prime 4 releases, and will keep selling because it's the cheapest Nintendo game out there.

Australian e-Shop Charts
1 Metroid Prime Remastered (since launch)
2 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3 Breath Of The Wild
4 Portal Companion Collection
5 Just Dance 2023
6 LEGO City Undercover
7 Dreamlight Valley
8 Rubber Bandits
9 Stardew Valley
10 Inside

New release Kirby at #14

I've never seen this much buzz about a Metroid game...ever. I think it's gonna do more than 5 million globally. It's perfect for the Switch audience.
If it does break 5 million I wonder what that means for Prime 4. The price also factors into this. It's a weird but fascinating release.

It still being at the top of many regional eshops is about as good of a sign as you could ask for at this stage. Seems pretty likely to hit a million this FY. Though the timing of its release means we probably won't get a subsequent update for a good long while unless it gets incredibly strong legs.

It still being at the top of many regional eshops is about as good of a sign as you could ask for at this stage. Seems pretty likely to hit a million this FY. Though the timing of its release means we probably won't get a subsequent update for a good long while unless it gets incredibly strong legs.
For comparison, Dread sold 800k in the US in 1 month. If MPR sold 1 million in that timeframe worldwide it would be disappointing i suppose.

Prime is Still #1 on the US Eshop Despite Kirby
i think it would be more impressive if it was a new 3d title, but a kirby remaster probably isnt going to do numbers. Still, after 2 weeks and 2 days it is quite impressive that its still holding.

A valid comparison would be to how much dread held, was it less, was it more?

i think it would be more impressive if it was a new 3d title, but a kirby remaster probably isnt going to do numbers. Still, after 2 weeks and 2 days it is quite impressive that its still holding.

A valid comparison would be to how much dread held, was it less, was it more?
i don't think it was as strong since prime remasted had a 2-week exclusivity to eshop where dread was physical day 1

nintendo made like 300 physical copies
There will be more produced, in due time. People just gotta hold out and trust the process, as always. The scalpers are on their scalping game, but folks shouldn't yield to those clowns, tbh.

There will be more produced, in due time. People just gotta hold out and trust the process, as always. The scalpers are on their scalping game, but folks shouldn't yield to those clowns, tbh.
Yup, especially because it's not a limited edition or anything like that. There'll be plenty of copies available

We're well past the 2 week rolling window for eshop tracking and Metroid is still #1 in Canada

I think the sales are much better than expected in a relatively quiet period for releases.

Edit. We'll I was wrong. Just checked again and it's been pushed to #2 by a game that is 99% off

Back
Top Bottom