• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I don't believe we will get a reveal until January 25... "IF" it's releasing in March. If it's releasing later than that then maybe Feb-Mar reveal. Many you guys are going to be talking specs for a long time.
Er, nope.

Nintendo's not going to start mass production and also somehow keep that a secret for months.

I don't believe we will get a reveal until January 25... "IF" it's releasing in March. If it's releasing later than that then maybe Feb-Mar reveal. Many you guys are going to be talking specs for a long time.
This one is going into doomy doom dooms of doom with going into next fiscal doom.

Yeah no. This isn't realistic at all.
Okay. There was also people saying it wasn't realistic to expect the switch 2 to release in 2025 until these reports came out. Anything can happen to change plans. All i heard people say for the longest is Nintendo would announce a new console and mess up holiday sales of the current console. So when do you expect them to announce it "assuming" they don't want to mess up current holiday sales for switch?

Okay. There was also people saying it wasn't realistic to expect the switch 2 to release in 2025 until these reports came out. Anything can happen to change plans. All i heard people say for the longest is Nintendo would announce a new console and mess up holiday sales of the current console. So when do you expect them to announce it "assuming" they don't want to mess up current holiday sales for switch?
There's already articles saying Switch 2 is slated for March 2025.

Anyone doing the slightest bit of due diligence during the holiday season will know it's around the corner.

Nintendo has to rip the band aid off. And if they don't, leakers will.

The strategy for not messing up holiday sales is via promotions. Either price drops, bundles, or other incentives.

Nintendo doesn't care about messing up the holiday sales this year. Consoles are always announced long before they come out. Like that's not an opinion that's an actual fact.

There's already articles saying Switch 2 is slated for March 2025.

Anyone doing the slightest bit of due diligence during the holiday season will know it's around the corner.

Nintendo has to rip the band aid off. And if they don't, leakers will.

The strategy for not messing up holiday sales is via promotions. Either price drops, bundles, or other incentives.
We will see

https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...ce-ai?utm_source=nr_twitter&utm_medium=social

SD-Express-microSD_main1_F.jpg

Samsung Electronics, the world leader in advanced memory technology, today announced that it has started sampling its 256-gigabyte (GB)1 SD Express2 microSD card with sequential read speed of up to 800 megabytes per second (MB/s) and has commenced mass production of its 1-terabyte (TB)3 UHS-1 microSD card.

For the first time in the industry, Samsung introduced a new high-performance microSD card based on the SD Express interface. The development was the result of a successful collaboration with a customer to create a custom product.

Thanks to its low-power design as well as firmware technology optimized for high-performance and thermal management, Samsung’s SD Express microSD card offers performance equivalent to SSDs in a small form factor. While read speeds for traditional microSD cards based on the UHS-1 interface were limited to 104MB/s, SD Express was able to boost it to 985MB/s, although commercial availability of the latter were not viable in microSD cards until now.

Now just who is this mysterious customer...

We will see
You mean see if Furukawa lied to shareholders when he said those exact words?

"Furthermore, concerning the preparation of new hardware which takes a long time, it is something that we want to properly plan and proceed with, thus our other businesses (Nintendo Switch, mobile, etc) do not affect our plans for new hardware."

Trying to remember what read/write speeds was for Switch.

100 MB/s? I know read speed is much more relevant here compared to write speeds (because game binaries get written to memory card once, and then read many times). If I recalled correctly, if those cards are for Nintendo Switch 2, then the read speeds would be around 8x faster
Technically the card reader on Switch could hit 90-100MB/s, but with compressed game assets, it's more or less limited to the rate that the data goes through the CPU to decompress them (unless offloaded to RAM first if there's space?). But for Switch 2 and having hardware FDE, even at a rate of 800MB/s may be a non-issue. I do wonder just how much power would be required for the decompressor to decompress at a rate of 800MB/s input.

I am kind of disappointed in the initial capacity though, but I guess they can only work with what they have atm. Wonder how long it'll take before they can hit 1TB SD Express microSD and more.

I seriously think this unspecified customer is Nintendo. Like... everything lines up and this solves all the storage quandaries Nintendo would've been facing for Switch 2. Internally they'd use an UFS 3.1 + LPDDR5 uMCP from Samsung and for expanded storage, users can buy this microSD card and presumably other manufacturers will follow suit in the future.

I seriously think this unspecified customer is Nintendo. Like... everything lines up and this solves all the storage quandaries Nintendo would've been facing for Switch 2. Internally they'd use an UFS 3.1 + LPDDR5 uMCP from Samsung and for expanded storage, users can buy this microSD card and presumably other manufacturers will follow suit in the future.
im think there is big chance for even LPPDR5X, since Switch 2 is March 2025

SSD-Like speeds MicroSD. Kinda solves Switch 2 expansion cards.

Allow me to a bit overzealous, but:
I guess this should be definitive for the expanded storage discussion haha.
Pricing will probably be high initially, but 100 - 150 USD for 1TB shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Also;
The development was the result of a successful collaboration with a customer to create a custom product.
To ensure stable performance and reliability for the small form factor, Dynamic Thermal Guard (DTG) technology maintains the optimum temperature for the SD Express microSD card, even during long usage sessions.

Are we totally sure Samsung 5nm is out of the question? If that was the choice it would kind of mirror Tegra X1 being 20nm Maxwell while all other Maxwell GPUs were 28nm.
No, we can't be totally sure of anything. But Nvidia tends to group their products on a few nodes. I believe 20 nm was also planned to have more products on it.

Hmm, SD Express... Now where have i heard that one before? Right, it was here. I distinctly remember reading discussions months ago here about the possibility of SD Express being used and it was quickly disregarded because nobody uses or buys those cards. Oh how the tables have turned... (Maybe)

Yeah I'd been saying if Samsung was going to bring back UFS cards, they'd be shouting about it, I guess they're shouting about SD express instead. 'Custom Product' has me wondering exactly what it means for Switch though.

Nintendo's not going to wait two months before the console releases.

And no, I don't want to hear "but Holiday!", the whole thing would get leaked.

Honestly, with Pokemon being a no-show in 2024, the "but holiday" argument is completely done for i'd say. It feels even Nintendo anticipates a "shitty" holiday.

Even speculating that MP4 actually releases this year near the holidays, that game won't carry the console like a Mario, Zelda or Pokemon game would.

maybe the shadow drop it off at my house because i've been such a good boy

... Would you tell me if they'd do?

The Steam Deck uses an SSD.

This would give Nintendo their own equivalent while maintaining their current SD card approach.

Pretty smart.

I mean ... technically ... simply by semantics ... even the Switch uses solid state storage. ;D (I know you mean fast storage.)

A quick refresher on the microSD Express standard:

emJsRTa.png

On paper, microSD Express may support either PCIe Gen 3 x1 lane (SD7.1) or Gen 4 x1 lane (SD8.0), for the max speed of 985MB/s or 1969MB/s.

NVIDIA’s AGX Orin and Orin NX support PCIe Gen 4, and the Orin Nano supports PCIe Gen 3. I don’t recall if the L4T commit revealed what T239 will support; my money is on Gen 3 though, for power and thermal reasons.

According to the Samsung PR, this new microSD Express card only interfaces with Gen 3, hence the 800MB/s sequential read speed. I’d think that it leaves the door open for a future upgrade to Gen 4 to double the bandwidth.

As already identified by others, the PR made an interesting disclosure that “the development was the result of a successful collaboration with a customer to create a custom product”. I do wonder what could make a product built to an industry standard “custom”?

The answer might lie further down the article: “Dynamic Thermal Guard (DTG) technology maintains the optimum temperature for the SD Express microSD card, even during long usage sessions.” AFAIK, thermal management for SD Express wasn’t introduced until SD9.1. The combination of SD7.1 speed and SD9.1 thermal management just might be the customization that Samsung tailored for this mystery customer.

Oh hey, we have what looks like closure on the expandable storage situation?
Considering how my feelings on that topic were starting to look like this meme, this is nice to hear.
b2e.png

I mean, every expandable storage solution is okay as long as it's not a proprietary one like back with Vita.
Proprietary cards actually wasn't the only pitfall I had in mind. For one thing, there was one point where I was seriously considering the possibility that Nintendo would just keep around the current SD cards but as cold storage only.

Ssd from the Steam Deck LCD (s:resetera)

Screenshot-20220328-213705.png

There is still a big difference but i guess a x8 is really good. Anyway, its better using the internal storage if it ends using ufs 3.1.

Internally they'd use an UFS 3.1 + LPDDR5 uMCP from Samsung and for expanded storage, users can buy this microSD card and presumably other manufacturers will follow suit in the future.
I disagree.

I don't think Nintendo's new hardware's as area constrained as smartphones.

And I think heat's definitely a concern, especially if Nintendo's new hardware requires the RAM and the internal flash storage to run at very high frequencies for sustained periods of time, whereas smartphones probably have the RAM and the internal flash storage run at very high frequencies at very short bursts of time, similar to with the performance CPU cores on smartphone SoCs.
Gamers Nexus has shown that the LPDDR4 modules operate at very similar temperatures as the Tegra X1 on the Nintendo Switch, which is in the range of 59°C-60°C.
And on a bit of an off topic note, outside of using newer process nodes, there's no inherit power efficiency advantage of using LPDDR5X vs LPDDR5.

800MB/sec would probably work well for Nintendo possibly, that said what is going to be the price of these cards.

From what I remember even the big UE5 Lumen in the Land of Nanite demo only really demanded about 300MB/s - well beyond HDD or microSD card speeds, but easily handled by most SSDs and these microSD express cards.

Last edited:
From what I remember even the big UE5 Lumen in the Land of Nanite demo only really demanded about 300MB/s - well beyond HDD or microSD card speeds, but easily handled by most SSDs and these microSD express cards.
10 MB/s per frame more specifically. So at 30 FPS it requires 300MB/s. At 60, 600MB/s.

So we're looking at decent sd card speeds but far superior speeds with ufs 3.1?
Hypothetically yes. But there's a possibility UFS 2.1 could be used, especially if Nintendo wants to offer 512 GB of internal flash storage at <$500.

Apparently, but that hasn’t to be a problem, since Switch‘s internal storage is also 3 times faster than the normal SD card speed.
Just to add context, the eMMC 4.1 on the launch Nintendo Switch has an actual sequential read speed of ~320 MB/s max, whereas microSD cards on the launch Nintendo Switch has an actual sequential read speed of ~96 MB/s max.

How likely is it that Nintendo is delaying Switch 2 due to emulation and piracy concerns?

Well, i'm not saying it's impossible, there's few things that are ... but i have some massive doubts that nVidia, who were the reason behind the whole mess on Switch 1, would have fucked up this big again.

@Dakhil I saw your post the first time. There's little information to corroborate your argument so I don't really see the point in discussing it. uMCP is possible unless proven otherwise IMO.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom