• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Although Nintendo's new hardware probably won't use UFS 4.0, this is still very fascinating.
BARCELONA, Spain, Feb. 27, 2024 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Mobile World Congress -- Micron Technology, Inc. (Nasdaq: MU) announced today that it is delivering qualification samples of an enhanced version of its Universal Flash Storage (UFS) 4.0 mobile solution with breakthrough proprietary firmware features delivered in the world's most compact UFS package at 9x13 millimeters (mm). Built on its advanced 232-layer 3D NAND and offering up to 1 terabyte (TB) capacity, the UFS 4.0 solution provides best-in-class performance and end-to-end innovation, enabling faster and more responsive experiences on flagship smartphones.

Micron UFS 4.0 accelerates data-intensive experiences with up to 4300 megabytes per second (MBps) sequential read and 4000 MBps sequential write speed, twice the performance of previous generations.1 With these speeds, users will be able to launch their favorite productivity, creativity, and emerging AI apps more quickly. Large language models in generative AI applications can be loaded 40% faster2, resulting in a smoother experience when initializing conversations with AI digital companions.

"Micron's latest UFS 4.0 solution enables world-class storage performance and reduced power in the world's smallest UFS package," said Mark Montierth, general manager and corporate vice president of Micron’s Mobile Business Unit. "Supercharged with breakthrough firmware advancements to keep smartphones running like new, Micron UFS 4.0 raises the bar for mobile storage with enhanced performance, flexibility and scalability to accelerate the rollout of generative AI-capable smartphones."

Compact package design lays the foundation for energy-efficient, ultra-slim smartphones
Since introducing its UFS 4.0 solution last June with an 11x13 mm package, Micron has reduced the footprint for its UFS 4.0 solution to offer the world's most compact managed NAND package size at 9x13 mm. These significant space savings result in an optimal size for next-generation foldable and ultra-slim smartphone designs and free more real estate for manufacturers to provide a larger battery. In tandem with the solution's 25% increase in power efficiency3, these benefits enable extended battery life for users, even when running power-draining features such as AI, augmented reality, gaming and multimedia apps.

Micron raises the bar for mobile flash storage with proprietary firmware innovation
This launch builds on Micron's ramp and high-volume production of UFS 4.0 storage last year with custom firmware updates such as:

• High-Performance Mode (HPM): This proprietary feature optimizes performance during intensive smartphone use by prioritizing critical tasks over background tasks. This results in over 25% improvement in speed when launching multiple applications thanks to twice-as-fast storage access during heavy usage.4
  • One Button Refresh (OBR): OBR allows consumers to reap top performance from their devices longer by automatically cleaning and optimizing data so smartphones can continue operating in a like-new state. Users will benefit from faster read/write performance, resulting in 10% faster app launches5, snappy camera roll access and seamless multi-tasking.
  • Zoned UFS (ZUFS): Micron UFS 4.0 now allows the host to specify different zones where data can be stored, improving the usefulness of the device over time. This ZUFS approach reduces write amplification to maximize the finite cycles of data that devices can program and erase without degrading device performance — ultimately extending the smartphone life span while keeping devices feeling like new for longer.
Micron's teams of engineers architected these innovative firmware features in its global labs by anticipating emerging use cases, running real-world simulations and collaborating with customers to incorporate feedback. In its joint customer labs across the U.S., China and Korea, Micron works in lockstep with smartphone OEMs to understand critical pain points and develop bespoke solutions to break down these bottlenecks.

Availability
Micron is now shipping samples of its upgraded UFS 4.0 in capacities of 256 gigabytes (GB), 512GB and 1TB. These expansive capacities unlock the benefits of AI by allowing flagship smartphones to accommodate all the data analyzed and generated by on-device AI assistants in addition to users’ growing photo libraries, ensuring greater security versus the cloud. With all their data stored locally, consumers will also benefit from always-on access to their personal data and powerful AI features, even while offline or in places with spotty service.

Resources
Solution page:
Ultra-fast UFS

4 As compared to devices with UFS 4.0 without HPM enabled
5 As compared to devices with UFS 4.0 without OBR enabled

it feels doubtful we'll get a Drake exclusive Pokemon anytime soon, it'll surely be the last remaining cross-gen franchise years from now.

Z-A Press Release said:
"Pokémon Legends: Z-A, an ambitious new entry to the Pokémon video game series, will launch on Nintendo Switch systems in 2025!"
S/V Press Release said:
Embark on an open-world adventure in Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet, arriving on Nintendo Switch in late 2022.
7CCP.gif

It's strange how it felt Nintendo's being straightforward with what they want from nVidia and all, and now appear to be literally this:

jfdDrk.gif

I think Nintendo is in fact being straight forward with what they want. It might actually be something related to Nvidia in this case for all we know.

Say for example t239 was taped out back in 2022 like what we've heard, but Nintendo, knowing they won't launch a new system until 2024/2025, decides they don't want T239 (make up any reason), and asks Nvidia to design an even better custom SoC that gets taped out in late 2024.

This of course would be rather unprecedented, and timing wise might be even more tight (and for all I know, some might say is impossible given the time constraints).

While Pikmin's characters are quite cartoony, the environments are about as realistic as the Switch can get.
pikmin-lead.jpg
I see what you are saying but I wouldn't call that realistic. I guess I was speaking on a game where the characters, world, and all things associated with it are realistic. I don't thinks that's Nintendo's thing and we won't see anything like that from them.

Hello I've never spoke before in this thread but regarding the pokemon annoucement it make me wonder if Pokemon legends ZA is the game that Nintendo want to launch with Switch 2. Like we get a Switch version but also a Switch 2 with better framerates and graphics. This situation reminds me of BOTW wich was 720p 25~30fps on Wii u whereas the Switch version was 900p 30fps (except Korok forest). Generally Pokémon games releases on november, a great timing for a launch console (Playstation, Xbox,...) so what if the Switch 2 was supposed to release on November 2024 but was pushed back because Pokemon Legends ZA would have not be ready by this time ? Pokemon Legend Arceus released on January so we can possibly get this game on March 2025 as the big (cross platform) launch title ala BOTW.

Maybe Pokémon Legends Z is 2025 because it was originally supposed to launch as cross gen on Switch/Switch 2 in late 2024. Now it’ll launch on both in March 2025 instead.*

*Post created purely to create Switch 2 Pokémon conspiracy theory.

Nintendo confirmed that Legends ZA will be set entirely in the city.

So we’re looking at either

1. An extremely deserted Paris
2. A completely redone engine that fixes the many draw call and other CPU problems plaguing SV.
3. This game is targeting Switch 2 with a Switch 1 version maybe being in less good shape.

Pokémon SV’s engine set in an open city just cannot handle many things on screen as it starts to blow up the CPU.

Nintendo confirmed that Legends ZA will be set entirely in the city.

So we’re looking at either

1. An extremely deserted Paris
2. A completely redone engine that fixes the many draw call and other CPU problems plaguing SV.
3. This game is targeting Switch 2 with a Switch 1 version maybe being in less good shape.

Pokémon SV’s engine set in an open city just cannot handle many things on screen as it starts to blow up the CPU.
Agree, but it could be 2 and 3 at the same time.

Great post! I actually didn’t realize how crazy the numbers for Switch are in comparison to the Wii and DS generation.
I honestly didn't either. I mean, i knew at a high level, but till I had the two overlaid, I didn't see how drastic it was.

Maybe Pokémon Legends Z is 2025 because it was originally supposed to launch as cross gen on Switch/Switch 2 in late 2024. Now it’ll launch on both in March 2025 instead.*

*Post created purely to create Switch 2 Pokémon conspiracy theory.
I wondered too. I made a sarcastic-but-meant-to-be-silly comment after the video over in the Presents thread saying “Switch 2024 saved 🫠” which got me thinking that maybe Legends Z-A was TPC’s 2024 game until the Switch 2 slipped into ‘25.

That said, if I had to bet money on it, I’d say that the fairly-intense negative (online) reaction to their last few big releases is why they don’t have a 2024 game. I think (hope?) they want to start giving their games some extra time for polish in an effort to put out something that people don’t say looks and runs like dog poop.

(EDIT: I should note that I enjoyed Scarlet quite a bit. I played it right after I had to put one my cats/best friends down and bawled during the Path of Legends cutscenes, which doesn’t sound fun when I type it out, but somehow ended up being a positive and very real-feeling experience for me.)

Last edited:
at worse, the game will play smoothly, at best, there's a Drake version waiting for the system to be announced. in the middle is a BC+ mode that allows for higher resolution/frame rate

either way, I can see Pokemon Legends 2 being sold alongside Drake a lot

Hello I've never spoke before in this thread but regarding the pokemon annoucement it make me wonder if Pokemon legends ZA is the game that Nintendo want to launch with Switch 2. Like we get a Switch version but also a Switch 2 with better framerates and graphics. This situation reminds me of BOTW wich was 720p 25~30fps on Wii u whereas the Switch version was 900p 30fps (except Korok forest). Generally Pokémon games releases on november, a great timing for a launch console (Playstation, Xbox,...) so what if the Switch 2 was supposed to release on November 2024 but was pushed back because Pokemon Legends ZA would have not be ready by this time ? Pokemon Legend Arceus released on January so we can possibly get this game on March 2025 as the big (cross platform) launch title ala BOTW.

Mainline Pokémon games with two editions usually launch in November yes, but the first Pokémon Legends game launched in January 2022. This could be another January title or could be some other time in 2025. While mainline games are usually a lock for November ever since they started doing (almost) simultaneous worldwide releases with X and Y, we only have a sample size of one game for Legends, so we can't really draw a pattern from that. I don't think they would push back the Switch 2 just for one game.

I can't tell if you all are joking or not but "launching on Nintendo Switch systems" is very standard Nintendo wording and there is nothing about that sentence that even remotely implies Switch 2. There is not only one communal Nintendo Switch system in existence that everyone plays, it is more grammatically correct and sounds more professional to say that it is launching on Switch systems than "launching on the Nintendo Switch" or something like that. It's like saying "coming to cinemas near you" or "coming to DVD players soon".

I can't tell if you all are joking or not but "launching on Nintendo Switch systems" is very standard Nintendo wording and there is nothing about that sentence that even implies Switch 2. There is not only one communal Nintendo Switch system in existence that everyone plays, it is more grammatically correct and sounds more professional to say that it is launching on Switch systems than "launching on the Nintendo Switch" or something like that.
Also, there's this this

So, now that we can cross-out the "Pokemon game for holiday 2024" list point ... there's literally only a price drop left to (imo) keep Switch afloat in 2024.

If they're really stubborn about announcing ReDraketed this year, kinda feels like they're forced to do that.

Dunno, if i was at Nintendo, i would've poured shittons of money to make a launch this year happen.

I keep reading here that “better” nodes would actually be cheaper for Nintendo.

Is that not correct?
In general, "better" nodes are cheaper, after you get past the initial rollout. But Nvidia/Nintendo don't have to pay the full sticker price, if that makes sense. Samsung's foundry business has been listing for a bit, and they've shown willingness to cut pretty extreme deals. That's how other Nvidia chips got on 8nm in the first place.

I personally don't think 8nm will work period for the chip that Nvidia has designed. But if I'm wrong about that, and 8nm is viable, and it makes the product significantly cheaper I think it would be rad that Nintendo uses it.

Like I said before, I don't see Nintendo delaying it past March. There are third parties developing games on it, which would be heavily affected if they delayed it again.

It's one thing delaying the Switch 2 4-6 moths, but it's another thing delaying it past that.
If Nintendo has real choice in the matter. It's a physical object, their capacity to launch is constrained by their ability to make the dang thing.

I'm not convinced that whatever is driving the schedule is software related, personally.

I can't tell if you all are joking or not but "launching on Nintendo Switch systems" is very standard Nintendo wording and there is nothing about that sentence that even remotely implies Switch 2. There is not only one communal Nintendo Switch system in existence that everyone plays, it is more grammatically correct and sounds more professional to say that it is launching on Switch systems than "launching on the Nintendo Switch" or something like that. It's like saying "coming to cinemas near you" or "coming to DVD players soon".
This is not meant to come off as rude in any way, but who is “you all?”

I could have missed some posts, but I think one person pointed out the phrasing (along with the fact that ScarVi was stated as “coming to Nintendo Switch” post Lite/OLED.) After that, a few other people pointed out TPC used “Switch systems” in reference to Detective Pikachu Returns, to which the original person replied with a “well there does that dream” gif. That was it.

This is not meant to come off as rude in any way, but who is “you all?”

I could have missed some posts, but I think one person pointed out the phrasing (along with the fact that ScarVi was stated as “coming to Nintendo Switch” post Lite/OLED.) After that, a few other people pointed out TPC used “Switch systems” in reference to Detective Pikachu Returns, to which the original person replied with a “well there does that dream” gif.
I think people in the thread for the game were pointing it out too.

I'm not convinced that whatever is driving the schedule is software related, personally.
Curious what your thoughts are on why you don't think it's software related.

Unless I'm mistaken, the orig Switch had its launch internally delayed from Summer 2016 to March 2017 because BOTW wasn't ready. Likewise for N64.

Not saying this is also the case for Switch 2 as well, but curious what led you to that personal opinion. I cannot figure out where it's coming from (Brazil? Bloomberg?) but it sounds almost like the internal delay was to ensure a good launch lineup (software-related).

Curious what your thoughts are on why you don't think it's software related.

Unless I'm mistaken, the orig Switch had its launch internally delayed from Summer 2016 to March 2017 because BOTW wasn't ready. Likewise for N64.

Not saying this is also the case for Switch 2 as well, but curious what led you to that personal opinion. I cannot figure out where it's coming from (Brazil? Bloomberg?) but it sounds almost like the internal delay was to ensure a good launch lineup (software-related).

Software only works if the hardware is ready to do so. Playing devil's advocate here, maybe there really has been issues on the hardware front that Nintendo wants to solve prior to launch? Maybe they're STILL working on how much Ram to use, or internal storage even, and continue to receive feedback from other developers on their thoughts relating to the hardware...which would also relate towards software.

Maybe it's a mix of both? Who knows?

EDIT: Just to add a small bit to this, maybe there's been issues regarding cross-gen titles for Switch 1 and Switch 2? Maybe it isn't so straight forward to design a game for two different systems, and it's showing?

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom