• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

alienware gaming pcs when trying to play emulated switch 2 games:
operation-teapot-nuke.gif
Nah bruh, this is just the average 4090 Laptop experience.

That being said, I managed to play through the entirety of Persona 3 FES (PS2) on a GPU-less laptop with an i5 joke CPU, so it can't be as hard as y'all claim it to be.

clueless-meme.png

It's actually worth constantly reminding people that we haven't even gotten PS4 emulation down pat yet. There are some games that boot on specific hardware, but they're mostly 2d titles like Undertale, Super Meat Boy, Dead Cells and Sonic Mania. Spine (a Linux emulator) has 4 playable games (Cursed Callista, Deltarune Chapter 1, Undertale and WE ARE DOOMED) with 350 that are "in game" for however much that's worth.

Even on compatibility layers, the best we have is around 259 titles that are ingame or playable, with the most interesting title on that list being Final Fantasy 9... that's the state we're in.

Switch 2 emulation is going to be a pain in the ass, even if we have insane hardware that can handle the load.
I'm not sure if the lack of interest is to blame but PS4's GPU has tons of custom Sony microcode that nobody has quite figured out yet (despite being jailbroken years ago). It doesn't help the OS is huge so dumping it, let alone emulating it is incredibly difficult. NVN is somehow well known which definitely helps, but who knows what other baremetal optimizations Nintendo exclusives will rely on that nobody will understand for a while.

God free me from that hell of an alternate universe. No thanks.

I may not care that much for Splatoon but those are the last three series I'd ever want to see pursue the GaaS route.
i thought splatoon 3, smash ultimate and mk8dx were already like a gaas system cuz they were receiving new content with dlc and app updates 😮

Mario Kart, Splatoon, and Smash are Games as a Service/Live Service games, just in a more limited/traditional pre-2017 meaning where they have like two years of DLC and a bit longer in terms of bug fixing and balance updates.
Certainly there would be a better way to describe those types of GaaS pre-2017 compared to the shit that's thrown on digital storefronts now.

I'd simply call them a complete package, that even if you don't want to spend on microtransactions you're not left wanting beyond what's included.

There's more content proportionately speaking included in a $60 Smash Bros game without having to buy additional DLC compared to what you get for free from downloading Fortnite and then wanting all the extra DLC skins.

But I'm getting off-topic from hardware so I'll drop this.

Okay. There was also people saying it wasn't realistic to expect the switch 2 to release in 2025 until these reports came out. Anything can happen to change plans. All i heard people say for the longest is Nintendo would announce a new console and mess up holiday sales of the current console. So when do you expect them to announce it "assuming" they don't want to mess up current holiday sales for switch?
If they're set on launching in March, that's the corner they've chosen to put themselves into. And less to lose from harming holiday 8's sales than holiday 7 or holiday 6.

They should just bite the bullet and force always online gaming to verify all users every time they play Nintendo games. Sure gamers would hate that but it would kill off the growing piracy scene entirely.
I mean we already know how well that turned out. Just ask any Xbox fan when the Xbox One was revealed to have this.

Mario Kart, Splatoon, and Smash are Games as a Service/Live Service games, just in a more limited/traditional pre-2017 meaning where they have like two years of DLC and a bit longer in terms of bug fixing and balance updates.
i thought splatoon 3, smash ultimate and mk8dx were already like a gaas system cuz they were receiving new content with dlc and app updates 😮
[...]
I'd simply call them a complete package, that even if you don't want to spend on microtransactions you're not left wanting beyond what's included.
[...]
But I'm getting off-topic from hardware so I'll drop this.

Remember when the GaaS model was based on full-on expansions you would buy and install? We can return to those days with Nextendo's additional cartridge ports.

Hardware is only enjoyed if there's software for it.

If the stars of the Switch 2 launch lineup isn't ready, it's understandable why Nintendo would delay.

I'm not sure there is any evidence of delay being hardware related, but to be fair, there's not any real evidence of this being software related either, other than to say that seems to be the general vibe going on (delay is software related)

Seems pretty unlikely to be hardware related. We know T239 development was completed back in 2022 and dev kits were going out to select third party partners in mid 2023. Recent rumblings suggest that dev kits are being distributed to a wider variety of third party developers within the past couple months. This is actually a pretty long runway for third parties getting dev kits prior to release. A lot of what third party developers are going to bring early on will be ports of older titles from the PS4/X1 generation. Now that we are seemingly looking at a March 2025 release, that is plenty of time for these ports to be developed.

This delay is most likely to sure up their lineup of first party titles for SNG's first nine months on the market. Im sure some games are closer to completion than others, but by changing the release date by roughly 6 months, this allows titles to release within the launch window rather than many months after the hardware's release. Nintendo doesn't have the lineup of Wii U games to port over this time, so having games further along in development and some even completed and waiting to release for strategic reasons will require additional time and planning. Another thing to consider is that Nintendo may not be planning to do many cross gen games and needs to ensure that the SNG userbase grows fast enough to ensure software releases have the opportunity to sell big numbers.

Lastly, the Switch is not dead and has afforded Nintendo this opportunity to be patient and wait until they have all their ducks in a row before launch. They can ride out the year with Switch. Yes, its on the decline, but its still selling at a better rate than many consoles ever do, even on their best years. There are enough evergreen titles still selling and while the lineup of new titles might be mostly made up of remasters, they will sell pretty good as well. Nintendo is in a great spot and for the long term success of SNG, waiting an additional 6 months to launch may end up being a brilliant move.

If they're set on launching in March, that's the corner they've chosen to put themselves into. And less to lose from harming holiday 8's sales than holiday 7 or holiday 6.
drop a codename for Nintendo next console and silent until near launch, launch the console and sucess, try to anounce the console in the most vague way ever, i cant imagine Nintendo making a huge fuss over it next console, they will still treat Switch as it main console, Switch sucessor will be treated more like a aftertrought

Live service titles closer to Fortnite are an extremely bad idea in general at this point, but especially bad for Nintendo as they can't dedicate so many devs to one game in post launch support as that won't sell consoles.

drop a codename for Nintendo next console and silent until near launch, launch the console and sucess, try to anounce the console in the most vague way ever, i cant imagine Nintendo making a huge fuss over it next console, they will still treat Switch as it main console, Switch sucessor will be treated more like a aftertrought

Probably would need literally any major titles released for the Switch 1 before we say they'll focus on the Switch 1 over 2, lol.

Princess Peach and Side Order were/are their only original games so far announced for this year.

Hey! I haven’t stayed updated on this topic for a week or two since life got in the way.

Is there any insight on whether we should still expect a reveal in March now that the console’s supposedly been delayed? I take it the reveal is delayed as well?

Probably would need literally any major titles released for the Switch 1 before we say they'll focus on the Switch 1 over 2, lol.

Princess Peach and Side Order were/are their only original games so far announced for this year.
i meant, Nintendo Switch sucessor will be in the market, but Nintendo will still focus on Switch as it main business

Hey! I haven’t stayed updated on this topic for a week or two since life got in the way.

Is there any insight on whether we should still expect a reveal in March now that the console’s supposedly been delayed? I take it the reveal is delayed as well?
Personally I wouldn't expect a March reveal anymore - I cannot see Nintendo starting mass production and stay on that for a year, it costs money and space to store units that's several months away from launch day.

I think Brazil also said March reveal seems to be off the table as well (not 100% sure) but did say to look for June reveal (maybe). 9 months still seems like too much of mass production IMO but it's better than a full year worth.

Maybe a reveal in August-September makes more sense - gives slightly longer mass production time compared to Switch's October 2016-March 2017 period.

we are still in february, so we cant claim we know Nintendo entire line up for this year, nearly 7 years of Switch and still people dont seen to understand Nintendo never reveal it entire line up in a single go, is always trough waves in the Nintendo Directs.

I mean, yes, but they usually have a February Direct to reveal their Q2 games and usually announce a Pokemon game for November this February too.

We're basically in March with one game announced for Q2 (and it's Endless Ocean) and no Pokemon game announced for the year either.

Personally I wouldn't expect a March reveal anymore - I cannot see Nintendo starting mass production and stay on that for a year, it costs money and space to store units that's several months away from launch day.

I think Brazil also said March reveal seems to be off the table as well (not 100% sure) but did say to look for June reveal (maybe). 9 months still seems like too much of mass production IMO but it's better than a full year worth.

Maybe a reveal in August-September makes more sense - gives slightly longer mass production time compared to Switch's October 2016-March 2017 period.
with the amount of delays spoken of in the switch successor's speculation cycle, idk what to expect anymore 😮

I don't think "Dynamic Thermal Guard" is a reference to any SD thermal management spec. It seems to be something Samsung advertise for many/all of their NVMe SSDs, so likely got carried over to their microSD Express controller. I feel like it's custom just by virtue of being something Samsung wouldn't have bothered making without a customer lined up.

It's quite possible that this is for Nintendo, but two things give me a bit of a pause. Firstly, if Switch 2 is launching in March next year, then it would be odd for Samsung to start shipping "custom" microSD Express cards this year, leaving them on the market for months before the only device which supports them launches. It's also a little strange that they've only announced a single capacity. If Switch 2 were launching with a new storage standard, I'd expect there to be enough demand to have a range of capacities available at launch. Having only a single capacity on the market makes me think they might be intended for a product with lower sales expectations, like a drone.

Also, I fully expect T239 to support PCIe 4. Nvidia have supported it in their SoCs since Xavier (Orin Nano is limited to PCIe 3 for binning/product segmentation reasons, but it's the same silicon as Orin), and they were taping out products with PCIe 5 support (Grace) alongside T239, so there'd be very little reason for them to revert back to the PCIe 3 controller they last used on Parker. Particularly so when there are areas, like external storage, where Nintendo could benefit from PCIe 4 speeds.
I think PCIe 3 is just the thermal reality for microSD at the moment, at least going by the other few attempts out there at SD Express. T239 will almost certainly have PCIe 4 support, but that doesn't mean Samsung can easily make a card for it.

I expect a PR statement in March or April about the successor dropping by the end of the FY25 fiscal year, but no reveal.

Hardware is only enjoyed if there's software for it.

If the stars of the Switch 2 launch lineup isn't ready, it's understandable why Nintendo would delay.

I'm not sure there is any evidence of delay being hardware related, but to be fair, there's not any real evidence of this being software related either, other than to say that seems to be the general vibe going on (delay is software related)

Development on Switch 2 would probably be a bit of a learning curve for dev studios used to working with Switch 1 hardware. Not sure I would term that as "issue", except only to say it could be an issue with launch timing, sure. By the way, this scenario would make the delay software-related.

Seems pretty unlikely to be hardware related. We know T239 development was completed back in 2022 and dev kits were going out to select third party partners in mid 2023. Recent rumblings suggest that dev kits are being distributed to a wider variety of third party developers within the past couple months. This is actually a pretty long runway for third parties getting dev kits prior to release. A lot of what third party developers are going to bring early on will be ports of older titles from the PS4/X1 generation. Now that we are seemingly looking at a March 2025 release, that is plenty of time for these ports to be developed.

This delay is most likely to sure up their lineup of first party titles for SNG's first nine months on the market. Im sure some games are closer to completion than others, but by changing the release date by roughly 6 months, this allows titles to release within the launch window rather than many months after the hardware's release. Nintendo doesn't have the lineup of Wii U games to port over this time, so having games further along in development and some even completed and waiting to release for strategic reasons will require additional time and planning. Another thing to consider is that Nintendo may not be planning to do many cross gen games and needs to ensure that the SNG userbase grows fast enough to ensure software releases have the opportunity to sell big numbers.

Lastly, the Switch is not dead and has afforded Nintendo this opportunity to be patient and wait until they have all their ducks in a row before launch. They can ride out the year with Switch. Yes, its on the decline, but its still selling at a better rate than many consoles ever do, even on their best years. There are enough evergreen titles still selling and while the lineup of new titles might be mostly made up of remasters, they will sell pretty good as well. Nintendo is in a great spot and for the long term success of SNG, waiting an additional 6 months to launch may end up being a brilliant move.
nintendo wanting super mario galaxy 3 to run at a perfect 1 million K with 1000 fps, 0 frame drops with pokemon z-a bringing the pokemon franchise to ps2 graphics

/s

reveal around Aug/Sep time makes perfect sense and when mass production will likely kick-off IF March is the date. the June thing, if it holds any weight will probably be a soft-announce ie the next generation of Switch is coming 2025 and if we're lucky confirmation of 'early 2025'.

remember the last Funcle to speak said something about July, which fits in perfectly with things kicking off at the tail-end of Summer. hopefully our good friends the Funcles start popping out the woodwork around this time.

remember the last Funcle said something about July, which fits in perfectly with things kicking off toward the tail-end of Summer. hopefully our good friends the Funcles start popping out the woodwork around this time.
if the teaser reveal or full reveal is at june that'd be an entire month before mass production if its at july? :unsure:

with the amount of delays spoken of in the switch successor's speculation cycle, idk what to expect anymore 😮
Actually, I kind of forgot about the new FY2025. Nintendo is bound to have to say something about the successor, because of the costs factored in that and also I would have to assume they'd have to make estimates based on Switch 2 sales numbers unless they're just going to say "the forecasts does not include any new hardware" bit again.

Start of FY2025 is April. I think someone said investor meeting in May?

Actually, I kind of forgot about the new FY2025. Nintendo is bound to have to say something about the successor, because of the costs factored in that and also I would have to assume they'd have to make estimates based on Switch 2 sales numbers unless they're just going to say "the forecasts does not include any new hardware" bit again.

this is exactly what they're going to say. no mention of it in coming projections (yet).

I would assume a blowout reveal for March is off the table at this point, but I wont rule out a possible tweet acknowledging its existence and informs the audience that they will share the details in June (or whenever the full reveal is planned). If Brazil is correct and Nintendo will have a general Nintendo Direct in April, that clears the way for SNG reveal in June. They can lay out the Switch lineup for the remainder of the year ahead of the investors meeting in early May. Nintendo will have its projected forecast prepared by the time they have their investors meeting in May, and this is why I have a high level of confidence Nintendo released some sort of statement on SNG leading up to that meeting. Even if Nintendo doesn't provide the forecasted SNG numbers at that meeting, they will be fielding questions left and right from investors. Lets face it, Nintendo will be forecasting a significant decline in Switch sales for both hardware and software, investors are going to be pressing Nintendo on when they can expect new hardware.

As far as stocking hardware in advance of launch, I would be curious to know how many units Nintendo keeps warehoused at any given time? I would assume this number goes way up prior to the holiday season. Switch manufacturing reportedly started in October of 2016 but we do not know why type of volume Nintendo secured with its manufacturing partners. Lets assume that Nintendo had roughly 3 million units ready to go for launch back in 2017, was that the absolute maximum they could manufacture, or is that the number of units Nintendo ordered for launch? Could they have supplied 6 million units in that time frame if need be?

i do remember the month of may always having an investor meeting each calendar year. it's most likely that meeting will be at that month this year as usual

It's quite possible that this is for Nintendo, but two things give me a bit of a pause. Firstly, if Switch 2 is launching in March next year, then it would be odd for Samsung to start shipping "custom" microSD Express cards this year, leaving them on the market for months before the only device which supports them launches. It's also a little strange that they've only announced a single capacity. If Switch 2 were launching with a new storage standard, I'd expect there to be enough demand to have a range of capacities available at launch. Having only a single capacity on the market makes me think they might be intended for a product with lower sales expectations, like a drone.
Perhaps this is implausible, but I was thinking that perhaps Samsung's releasing 256 GB SD Express microSD later this year to get the ball rolling in terms of having the SD Express microSD card prices decreasing before Nintendo's new hardware launches at March 2025 at the earliest and before higher capacity microSD Express cards can be introduced.

In fact, back in May 2016, Samsung unveiled the 256 GB UHS-I EVO+ microSD card, which Samsung said was the highest capacity for a UHS-II microSD card at the time. And then a little over a year later on August 2017, Western Digital unveiled the 400 GB UHS-I SanDisk Ultra microSD card, which was the highest capacity at the time until Integral unveiled the world's first 512 GB UHS-I microSD card on January 2018.

Also, many laptop manufacturers (e.g. Asus, Lenovo, MSI, etc.) have started releasing handheld PCs that also happen to have a microSD card slot. So I wouldn't be surprised if future handheld PCs from these laptop manufacturers start to support microSD Express 7.0 cards in the future, especially at the prices asked for currently for handheld PCs (~$600 to ~$800).

And there's at least one device currently that has a slot for SD Express 7.0 cards (e.g. ThinkPad P16v Gen 1, ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 5, etc.). And I'm sure there's at least one person who's willing to pay to be an early adopter of Samsung's SD Express microSD cards.

I have not upgraded to an expandable SSD in my PS5/Series X at all. I just used my existing cold storage HDDs and move games around when I need space.

Switch 2 will be the first time I buy more expensive storage lmao.

My assumption is that Samsung saw no reason not to just release their cards on schedule, even if their partner had to delay out of H2 2024. It doesn't seem like there's any downsides to them doing so; the cards will still work with existing tech that uses microSD, even if said tech can't utilize the improved read/write speeds.

I have not upgraded to an expandable SSD in my PS5/Series X at all. I just used my existing cold storage HDDs and move games around when I need space.

Switch 2 will be the first time I buy more expensive storage lmao.
insta buy for that 1 terabyte SD card storage for 3d mario, metroid, mario kart 10, smash bros 6 and xenoblade chronicles x each taking up 50 gb space 😂

Reveal will be in October. Just repeat the Switch cycle which worked very well. Some meaty reporting by good outlets with actual sourcing will maybe start in June. We'll know stuff like RAM that are expressible in one number from June, maybe? But expecting anything speedier than this is probably a recipe for frustration imo.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom