• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Is this the first time they've given a "no comment" when asked about new hardware? I feel like in the past they've always gone with something like "We're always working on new technology, but Switch is doing great, and we have nothing to announce at this time". Not worth reading too much into, but it's interesting if there is a change from their standard response.

Same thing, different year

Do people really expect hardware announcements in a game direct? Those usually have their own directs.
Seems unlikely but shouldn't be 100% out of the question. Hardware announcements, especially with Nintendo have their own rules, or should I say they don't necessarily follow any rule or pattern. They can perfectly find a way to announce/tease it in the Direct if they decided to, and I don't think it'd be the worst time or way to do it.

My suspicions that most games releasing on Nintendo's new hardware probably won't be targeting 4K after enabling DLSS, but rather a range between ~1440p to ~1800p after enabling DLSS, doesn't seem so crazy, especially if 4K DLSS in general seems to incur a high latency penalty cost, and with memory bandwidth likely being one of Nintendo's new hardware's biggest bottlenecks, although probably not to the same extent as with the Nintendo Switch.
I've been working with the Nvidia data, and the reason I didn't put out the revised calculator yesterday as I said I would is because I have discovered very intersting things with the way DLSS scales with tensor performance. Changes that make the predictions significantly more optimistic.

I still have some stuff to finish before I can publish the new calculator, but to sum up : 4K 30 DLSS is perfectly realistic, 1440p is a breeze at 30 and totally possible at 60, 1080p 60 is no problem.

Also, iirc HUB tested the latency thing and DLSS doesn't add any latency; it stays related to framerate, as it would without DLSS.

I don't think there's any one usual answer, or something that makes this one different. The previous time In November was Shiota saying "we're not at a stage where we can talk about next-generation hardware" (where, to be clear, "next-gen hardware" was just repeating the phrasing used in the investor's question).

I meant more along the lines of a change in the type of answer, rather than them having a specific answer. Previously they've at least answered the question, usually along the lines of "we're not at a stage where we can talk about it" or "we have nothing to announce at this time". Basically acknowledging the question, and responding in a way which implies they're not going to announce anything soon, without being specific.

If Furukawa literally said "I would like to refrain from making any specific comments." this time, though, that is definitely a change in the way he's responding. It's moving from answering the question in a non-committal way to simply refusing to answer the question altogether.

Of course it's possible that this isn't a verbatim quote from Furukawa, it may just be paraphrasing. Or it may be missing some context. And as I said I don't think it's worth reading too much into either way, but it is kind of interesting.

Same thing, different year
I think that article (and the tweet it's sourced from) is misrepresenting what was actually said there. Nintendo's transcript of that briefing has the specific question, which was about how they would manage a smooth transition to new hardware, not about when that new hardware would be announced, and Furukawa does answer it (by taking about Nintendo Accounts). It's definitely not a "no comment" answer like this one (apparently) is.

I think that article (and the tweet it's sourced from) is misrepresenting what was actually said there. Nintendo's transcript of that briefing has the specific question, which was about how they would manage a smooth transition to new hardware, not about when that new hardware would be announced, and Furukawa does answer it (by taking about Nintendo Accounts). It's definitely not a "no comment" answer like this one (apparently) is.
Seconded. That article, and many others like it, was based on Mochizuki's wild mischaracterization of Furukawa's answer. No other newspapers, not even the Japanese version of the same Bloomberg story, contained any similar descriptions, and certainly not in Nintendo's official transcript.

My rule of thumb is that when Mochizuki reports something that no one else does, I'd try to check the primary source.

Seconded. That article, and many others like it, was based on Mochizuki's wild mischaracterization of Furukawa's answer. No other newspapers, not even the Japanese version of the same Bloomberg story, contained any similar descriptions, and certainly not in Nintendo's official transcript.

My rule of thumb is that when Mochizuki reports something that no one else does, I'd try to check the primary source.
He really does seem to wildly color his reporting with personal beliefs and interests, a lot more than most tech reporters.

It's odd how unreliable he's been getting lately.

Hardware takes years and years to make. The Switch took 2.5 years from the time the chip was out to launch, and they were going as fast as they could to replace the Wii U. We know Nintendo is getting a custom chip this time, so that process is even longer. Whatever schedule they're on for new hardware, it was laid before the pandemic.
The chip had little to do with Switches release timing though. They had to build a toolset (which by all accounts was unusually mature at launch), build nvn, get games ready, design the thing.

This time all that happens simultaneously as they are making the chip.

He really does seem to wildly color his reporting with personal beliefs and interests, a lot more than most tech reporters.

It's odd how unreliable he's been getting lately.
I agree. He seemed to have a great reputation and reliability track record previously. But his reporting on Nintendo in the past couple of years has been spotty and seems colored by bias. This is not me hating on journalists doing their job but I’d take any reporting from Mochi with more grains of salt than in the past.

I agree. He seemed to have a great reputation and reliability track record previously. But his reporting on Nintendo in the past couple of years has been spotty and seems colored by bias. This is not me hating on journalists doing their job but I’d take any reporting from Mochi with more grains of salt than in the past.
Sony too, they've been publicly calling out his reports also.

I don't genuinely believe this is the case, but it's entertaining to imagine that all this misreporting on hardware is chaff thrown out by Nintendo to impede leaks and reporting. Getting Mochizuki to publicly say a forecast increase to 21m was coming two weeks before they actually downgraded again to 18m. Getting certain other sources to say new hardware had just been cancelled in the year where new hardware actually finally gets announced.

The last year in May the didn't comment because they didn't know if the new Switch was going to able in the fiscal year. In August, the confirmed they won't launch a new sistem this fiscal year. In September they announce Zelda in May 2023 (out of the fiscal year). And now they refuse again to make comments.
Tomorrow they will announce the new system allong with Zelda TotK.

optimal time to have the new system out was always with Zelda, the biggest title with the widest audience, before the decline phase really sets in. presumably something happened or a decision has been made to push it back further but that doesn't mean it's a good decision.

strike while the iron is hot. Nintendo is clearly nervous about this next trasnsition but a wait till well into 2024 is a fumble. it's not a disaster it'll still sell like hot cakes but Nintendo are far from infallible. they've made worse decisions but having the Switch limp along for it's last year or two is not a good look. the giant success & userbase was always something that begged for a large cross-gen window to maximise sales from all angles and keep everyone happy.

tomorrow's Direct is the last chance for H1 2023 and depending on what is shown maybe 2023 period.
I wouldn’t say tomorrow is the last chance. Post-pandemic they like to use Twitter as a platform to announce/shadow drop things. They did it with OLED and I could see them doing the same thing, but a successor would warrant a bigger stage/spectacle IMO. However, if this is really part of the switch family with a similar aesthetic and beefed up internals/tech then maybe that is the way to go.

It’s clear, however, they need something bigger than Zelda or other software to drive a strong Q1 and throughout their next FY. As it looks they’re going to have a putrid finish to the current FY ending in March.

The last year in May the didn't comment because they didn't know if the new Switch was going to able in the fiscal year. In August, the confirmed they won't launch a new sistem this fiscal year. In September they announce Zelda in May 2023 (out of the fiscal year). And now they refuse again to make comments.
Would be so fucking out of nowhere if that actually happened.

I don't genuinely believe this is the case, but it's entertaining to imagine that all this misreporting on hardware is chaff thrown out by Nintendo to impede leaks and reporting. Getting Mochizuki to publicly say a forecast increase to 21m was coming two weeks before they actually downgraded again to 18m. Getting certain other sources to say new hardware had just been cancelled in the year where new hardware actually finally gets announced.
All that R&D money went into developing a fake leak department at NCL.

It’s clear, however, they need something bigger than Zelda or other software to drive a strong Q1 and throughout their next FY. As it looks they’re going to have a putrid finish to the current FY ending in March.

Have a feeling that "as it looks" will be very different in 28 hours and roughly 40 minutes.

Have a feeling that "as it looks" will be very different in 28 hours and roughly 40 minutes.
Meaning you expect new hardware announced? Otherwise what software are you expecting them to announce for release between now and March 31? Only rumored first party title is Metroid Prime 1 remake and Metroid typically doesn’t do gangbusters for them based on what has been shared here previously.

Any potential third party announcements won’t move the needle either.

Ok so just saying this here now but looking over the Nintendo IR report and how adamant they are to showcase the success of the Switch over all of their other hardware. I kind of now feel that we may not hear about a new console until the current model is about to, or very close in surpassing the DS. I really feel that they want to reclaim that crown of the best selling console of all time again!

Meaning you expect new hardware announced? Otherwise what software are you expecting them to announce for release between now and March 31? Only rumored first party title is Metroid Prime 1 remake and Metroid typically doesn’t do gangbusters for them based on what has been shared here previously.

Any potential third party announcements won’t move the needle either.

No no. Just meant it's way too soon to think the upcoming FY will have "a putrid finish" like you say. I think TotK can carry the 1st half and there will be some light-to-medium hitters for the 2nd half. Plus I've come around on the idea of some kind of price drops/bundles/actual discounted games, along with another special edition OLED for holiday '23 (Metroid/Mario/Pikmin/F-Zero/whatever).

They can’t decide to time new hardware to some kind of sales milestone like reaching the best selling console or such, and oldpuck already explained why pretty well.

optimal time to have the new system out was always with Zelda, the biggest title with the widest audience, before the decline phase really sets in. presumably something happened or a decision has been made to push it back further but that doesn't mean it's a good decision.

strike while the iron is hot. Nintendo is clearly nervous about this next trasnsition but a wait till well into 2024 is a fumble. it's not a disaster it'll still sell like hot cakes but Nintendo are far from infallible. they've made worse decisions but having the Switch limp along for it's last year or two is not a good look. the giant success & userbase was always something that begged for a large cross-gen window to maximise sales from all angles and keep everyone happy.

tomorrow's Direct is the last chance for H1 2023 and depending on what is shown maybe 2023 period.
To be fair, I don't think TotK was ever expected to launch this late. Probably it was supposed to launch back in like 2021 or something. COVID delays plus typical Zelda delays assuredly threw it's schedule off. It launching with new hardware was always a nice thought, but that may have been intended for the launch of the OLED not upgrade hardware.

At the same time we can look at the current FY, and see that Nintendo misread the market. It's possible they were making other decisions on the faulty premise that the Switch was going to hold up better than it actually is. The idea that they may have postponed/canceled hardware now looms kind large if they did so under the impression that they would be able to coast on the Switch for a longer period of time. I'm not sure how much stock I put in the rumor though, at least not in the timeframe and details that were presented. If new hardware was actually intended for 2023, and they instead pushed it to 2025 or whatever, then they've probably made a big mistake. That said, I'm inclined to believe that outside of direct dates and piece of software here and there, a lot of rumors around Nintendo are increasingly inaccurate. Perhaps the product was simply delayed 6 months to deliver something better with a wider array of software.

The recent return of vouchers for North America would indicate Nintendo is definitely now reacting to negative market/platform conditions. Software sales in NA had been dropping off more precipitously than other regions. In light of that move, which came nearly in tandem with the rumors of a "light" 2nd half to 2023, it makes me think that Nintendo has been seeing the writing on the wall for some time now, and pushed back some software to be cross gen/next gen, rather than just coasting. Similarly if there was any thought to just delaying hardware while they milked the Switch for all it's worth, that idea should be dead now.

They can’t decide to time new hardware to some kind of sales milestone like reaching the best selling console or such, and oldpuck already explained why pretty well.
Also, Nintendo does not plan their business around these types of product milestones or anniversaries. They have to generate revenue and profit first and foremost. The number of sales relative to other consoles is nice for fans to compare but it’s not a primary driver for their business.

I mean, of course he knows something we don't.

But that tweet isn't indicative of anything.
INDICATORS?

Nintendo Switch - CAR Model launching next fiscal year.

That's right, Drake is a car again. You heard it here first.

Is this the first time they've given a "no comment" when asked about new hardware? I feel like in the past they've always gone with something like "We're always working on new technology, but Switch is doing great, and we have nothing to announce at this time". Not worth reading too much into, but it's interesting if there is a change from their standard response.
The classic "no comment" says to me things are in the works behind the scenes but they don't want to jeopardize hardware sales in the meantime.

Ok so just saying this here now but looking over the Nintendo IR report and how adamant they are to showcase the success of the Switch over all of their other hardware. I kind of now feel that we may not hear about a new console until the current model is about to, or very close in surpassing the DS. I really feel that they want to reclaim that crown of the best selling console of all time again!
I have heavy doubts regarding what you said.
Nintendo doesn't care about arbitrary trophies like that. They care about finances. Having the best selling console of all time means jackshit to them if they have to sacrifice their financial wellbeing for the next few years.

If having the best selling console of all time was that big of a priority, they'd just drop the price significantly such as they would barely break even.

Even among hopefuls, I feel I may be among the most hopeful.

But even I dare not hold such hope. A reveal this month, maybe, but I don't have any hope of it showing up at the direct.

That said, it would not be unprecedented, and the timing would suit. After all, when they want to say software only, they say software only. When they say "mainly" or "primarily", usually that means something more. Whether that is hardware, a controller, or a game launching in late 2023 to early 2024, we cannot know.

But I have my doubts.

It would, however, be amazing if it happened, but I dare not get excited.

All that R&D money went into developing a fake leak department at NCL.
Maybe not as far from the truth as one might think at first blush.

Nintendo HAS been plugging leaks, HAVE been using decoys.

Are these those? Maybe. Maybe not. It's certainly strange how rumours as of late have been so contradictory.

Facts:
In May 2022 Nintendo refuses to make any comment concerning the new Switch.
In August 2022 Nintendo confirms there won't be a new Nintendo Switch this fiscal year.
In September 2022 Nintendo announce the launch date for Zelda TotK (May 2023 out of the fiscal year).
In February 2023 Nintendo refuses to make any comment concerning the new Switch again.

Explanation:
Nintendo didn't make any comment in May because they didn't know if the hardware was going to be able for this fiscal year. In August they already knew and because of that in September the announce the launch date of Zelda. The new Switch will be allong with Zelda.

Facts:
In May 2022 Nintendo refuses to make any comment concerning the new Switch.
In August 2022 Nintendo confirms there won't be a new Nintendo Switch this fiscal year.
In September 2022 Nintendo announce the launch date for Zelda TotK (May 2023 out of the fiscal year).
In February 2023 Nintendo refuses to make any comment concerning the new Switch again.

Explanation:
Nintendo didn't make any comment in May because they didn't know if the hardware was going to be able for this fiscal year. In August they already knew and because of that in September the announce the launch date of Zelda. The new Switch will be allong with Zelda.
Or the fact that they're saying the same thing they said last year means it's also not happening this year.

Or it's shadowdropping this Friday like the Sega Saturn

Or the fact that they're saying the same thing they said last year means it's also not happening this year.

Or it's shadowdropping this Friday like the Sega Saturn

If it's not coming, why would the president refuse to make any comment? In May 2022 they did because they didn't know clearly. A few months later, they confirmed. If they refuses to answer, it's because they don't want to or they don't know.

Even among hopefuls, I feel I may be among the most hopeful.

But even I dare not hold such hope. A reveal this month, maybe, but I don't have any hope of it showing up at the direct.

That said, it would not be unprecedented, and the timing would suit. After all, when they want to say software only, they say software only. When they say "mainly" or "primarily", usually that means something more. Whether that is hardware, a controller, or a game launching in late 2023 to early 2024, we cannot know.

But I have my doubts.

It would, however, be amazing if it happened, but I dare not get excited.
I completely agree with you. It's safer not to get excited. However, think about it... They haven't shown almost nothing about Zelda. The game is coming in three months.
For me, there are so many suspicious decisions about the marketing, the comments...

If it's not coming, why would the president refuse to make any comment? In May 2022 they did because they didn't know clearly. A few months later, they confirmed. If they refuses to answer, it's because they don't want to or they don't know.
As always, wait for the official translation before you draw conclusions.

Zelda will get it's own Direct but if the Uncles aint talking and there's nothing tomorrow a hypothetical May launch is on it's very last legs. we might get some idea whether 2023 is still possible but perhaps not if it's exclusively about the first half of 2023.

While we wait for the official Q&A transcript, I found a couple hardware related quotes by Nintendo via Japanese press:

Mainichi Shimbun:
Fans have high expectations for the next-generation console. The interval between the release of the previous generation machine “Wii U” and the release of the switch is about four years. The release interval from “Nintendo DS” to “Nintendo 3DS” was about six years. At a press conference on the 7th, Furukawa said, “I would like to refrain from making any specific comments.”

NHK:
Nintendo said, “Switch has sold more than 120 million units in total, and although it will not be easy to sell at the pace we have seen so far, we will continue to propose unique ways to play and promote sales.”
Aside from the two quotes above, I found a few more.

Bloomberg Japan (another instance of reporting divergence; the Japanese and English editorial standards seem to differ):
President Furukawa commented on the hardware, which is now in its seventh year on the market, “It is difficult to grow beyond the previous year’s sales. It is truly an uncharted territory.” Regarding the future, he stated that software sales are still going strong and that “The Switch business as a whole can be revitalized.”
Hmm, the President of Nintendo officially admitted to the investors that the Switch hardware sales will continue declining. The company nonetheless believes that the business can be “revitalized”… but how?

Mainichi Shimbun updated their report to include more quotes:
President Furukawa said, “As we enter the seventh year, we are entering uncharted territory in the history of Nintendo’s game consoles. It is not easy to sell hardware in the seventh year at the same pace as before.” On the other hand, he added, “We would like to continue to sell as many units as possible by proposing new software and other measures.”
So Nintendo plans to “revitalize” the Switch sales by releasing more software (but VGC/IGN told us Nintendo has no games?), and “other measures”… it can’t be just vouchers and TotK OLED SE, can it?

Notes: My Japanese reading is not very good. All translations above were spliced together from DeepL and Google, plus my own edits. They may not be accurate.

Bloomberg Japan (another instance of reporting divergence; the Japanese and English editorial standards seem to differ):

Hmm, the President of Nintendo officially admitted to the investors that the Switch hardware sales will continue declining. The company nonetheless believes that the business can be “revitalized”… but how?

So Nintendo plans to “revitalize” the Switch sales by releasing more software (but VGC/IGN told us Nintendo has no games?), and “other measures”… it can’t be just vouchers and TotK OLED SE, can it?

Notes: My Japanese reading is not very good. All translations above were spliced together from DeepL and Google, plus my own edits. They may not be accurate.

If they literally said “The Switch brand as a whole can be revitalized”, software is not the answer. Price cuts during economic downturn might be the answer but, pardon my confirmation bias, it continues to feel like a uniquely positioned refresh (or successor) is the only answer here.

If anything it just tells me whatever is next is almost assuredly still ‘Switch.’

President Furukawa commented on the hardware, which is now in its seventh year on the market, “It is difficult to grow beyond the previous year’s sales. It is truly an uncharted territory.” Regarding the future, he stated that software sales are still going strong and that “The Switch business as a whole can be revitalized.”

President Furukawa said, “As we enter the seventh year, we are entering uncharted territory in the history of Nintendo’s game consoles. It is not easy to sell hardware in the seventh year at the same pace as before.” On the other hand, he added, “We would like to continue to sell as many units as possible by proposing new software and other measures.”

Also, if they were going to try to revitalize the current Switch models through software, it wouldn't be with GameCube ports, lol.

Also, if they were going to try to revitalize the current Switch models through software, it wouldn't be with GameCube ports, lol.
Don’t you rain on my parade for WW and TP ports.

Or Metroid ports.

Or Fzero ports.

Or an Eternal Darkness icon in the rewards store.

Don’t you rain on my parade for WW and TP ports.

Or Metroid ports.

Or Fzero ports.

Or an Eternal Darkness icon in the rewards store.
All of those could be in the pipeline, but my point is that a few ports are not the full lineup or the "theme of the year" as some people have been predicting, if Nintendo is expecting a turnaround in Switch sales driven by software (i.e. not launching new hardware in FY24). And what I'm really doing is just mocking the IGN/VGC reporting some more, since I don't even expect the software turnaround scenario, but it would be yet another eventuality that proves them wrong.

Upgraded Switch hardware would be an obvious answear.
Looking from another angle, maybe they have another Labo/Ring Fit Adventure idea. Something you can add on to Switch to get additional functionality. Though, unless it was super revolutionary, it wouldn't dampen the hardware decline.

Its not exactly the same though. Nintendo did comment that there was no plans for new hardware for their fiscal year which ends March 31's 2023. The April investors meeting will be more telling. The questioning surrounding new hardware will only continue to increase as sales for OG Switch continue to decline. I suspect Q4 will be a hefty decline year over year and Nintendo may not hit their 18 million sold goal. Switch 2 with TotK is pretty much a pipedream, but Christmas 2023 is absolutely on the table.

If anything it just tells me whatever is next is almost assuredly still ‘Switch.’

The idea that Nintendo would abandon the concept that is closing in on their best selling hardware ever was always bordering on fearmongering. Nintendo has gone in wildly different directions after some of their failures/let downs, but to completely upend the table when something has been as successful as Switch is crazy talk. What Nintendo wants to happen, and I think its what Furukawa is alluding to, is that they want to garner the same type of response from Switch 2 as they did with Switch. Even though Super Nintendo was successful, it was a significant drop from how well the NES did. GameBoy Advance was successful, but a drop from how well the GameBoy did. 3DS did well, but a huge drop from how well the DS did. This is the trend Nintendo is trying to buck. How do you roll out a Switch 2 and make sure it doesnt follow up the Switch in the way the 3DS followed up the DS.

Rough 1080p DLSS and 4K DLSS Frame Time Cost Estimation Calculator for Drake (T239)
Introducing the DRAKE DLSS ESTIMATOR 6000 :

This new version has some massive changes from the last one, and the results are quite different.
Significantly more accurate (probably) and significantly more optimistic than the last one.
For 4K, the new calculator indicates usually around a 35% smaller time than the old one. Reasons for that detailed in the technical section below.

Let's go quickly over the main changes before going into the details.

Patch notes :
-Complete replacement of all DF data by official Nvidia data
-less variables, which means a smaller margin of error
-Introduced 1080p, removed 1440p
-Linear function used previously replaced by a 3rd degree polynomial (most important)
-Making it look slightly cooler

First thing I want to talk about is a correction : I claimed in a "technical stuff" section in a previous post that DLSS was not just linked to output resolution; I was wrong. This assumption came from the DF data in their second video, but the data in that video turned out to be... meh. Main issue is that the methodology worked perfectly for the purpose of the video, which was comparing FSR to DLSS, but the data is just not good for our use case.

The old calculator was entirely based on that DF data, and that data has been completely phased out of the calculator. Now the calculator uses the data from the document I linked and said was "The One document to rule them all". First advantage is, as said previously, that less variables are involved, reducing the number of ways this can go wrong. But that's not really what's important. That document is from Nvidia, and has data for a lot more GPUs, although only Ampere has been used here for reasons I'll detail later. This means the data is more accurate, but the most important is that the bigger number of GPUs tested allows us to verify if the cost of dlss scales linearily with performance, as supposed until then.
It does not.
It is hard to come to a conclusion as the data is still not as much as I'd like, but using Excel, we can see the curves are akin to a polynomial. I have, as such, asked Excel to make polynomials out of the curves. They ended up being of the third degree, simply because there’s only 4 GPUs whose data I can use.
Here are the curves, with the X axis being the tensor performance and the Y axis the speed of the DLSS calculations (not how long it takes, but the speed; a higher value means faster so a lower ms count).

That change in the way scalability is calculated makes a MASSIVE difference to the results, and is the main factor of change compared to the old calculator.
Here is an illustration : the intersection is the 3080; X coordinate is tensor performance, Y coordinate is the speed of the DLSS calculations.
The orange curve is how I previously thought it would scale, blue curve is how it actually scales.

To give you an idea, Drake would be around 0.07 on the X axis. We see that this new method of calculation heavily benefits Drake.

Using this data, I discovered a lot of things. First of all, the scaling of DLSS speed depending on resolution. It scales kinda linearily, but very loosely. I’ll first talk about the 1080p to 4K difference. I have noticed that the more powerful a GPU is, the smaller the difference between 4K and 1080p speed is; and the less powerful a GPU is, the more that difference tends to be the same as the difference between the number of pixels (so 4x). For example, For Drake, the difference between 1080p speed and 4k speed is very close to 4x because Drake is very not powerful, but for a 3090 it's more like 2.9x.
4K to 8K is significantly weirder. It starts at around 4.3x, then goes up, then down. At first I thought this was some proof the Excel predictions were just not working, but after looking at the Nvidia data, we do see 4k to 8k going up then down.

It isn’t shown in this graph, but I also made 1080p to 1440p, which also looks very weird : starts at 2.2x difference, goes down to 1.5x then starts going up again. So 1080p to 4k looks normal and makes sense, but 4k to 8k and 1080p to 1440p are much weirder for not apparent reason. Btw, talking about 1440p…

I removed it because I’m not sure how accurate it is. Even just looking at the raw data through a graph, the 1440p speed as a function of tensor performance looks... wacky (cf first graph, the orange curve). It looks like the other curves but on steroids. And the fact that the 1080p to 1440p difference curve also looks wacky does not convince me of the validity of my results. I do think in the future I might add back 1440p; but I want to be more sure of what’s going on before, and I want to first put in place the enhancements I mention towards the end.

Now is the time to explain why I didn't use Turing to improve the prediction. I mean, I say now's the time but any point could be the time, it's not linked to any of the other points. In the document, 3 Turing GPUs are benched : 2060 super, 2080 laptop and 2080 TI. First problem : laptop GPUs have special power limiting software that makes it probable the laptop gpu was not running full speed. And we don't know what speed it's running at. This is also reflected in the graphs below, where we see the 2080 laptop is way closer to the 2060 super than it should be.

But that means for Turing we only have 2 GPUs left. How do you infer a curve out of that ? You don't really. That's not enough. 4 is already limiting, so 2? Don't even think about it. And that is why I didn't take into account Turing GPUs in the calculator.

I'll now talk about the sparsity improvement. You may recall that earlier, we used DF's data with a 2060 to estimate the improvement from sparsity. Turns out that improvement massively depends on the card : the faster the card, the smaller the difference. The resolution also plays a role, but a minor one. As such, at the 2060 performance level, we see a 25% improvement from sparsity. 25% is what was found with DF data with a 2060, so that was close. On the other hand, at the 2080 ti performance level, the improvement is merely 9%.

Now let’s talk limitations of my simulations.

First of all, because of the data itslelf. We are talking about official data from Nvidia, but they said they mesured that experimentally by running a command prompt. But anyone who has ever done physics knows that experimental measurements will always be imperfect. Who knows if the GPUs were boosting as they should. Who knows if the antivirus was running in the background. We can never rule out the possibility that the data is not perfect, even if it comes from Nvidia.

This problem may be the reason why some of the behaviors in the graphs are really weird. Or it's not. I do not know. Maybe the wackiness of the 1440p results come from there. Maybe the weird 4K to 8k speed difference is also caused by that. We’ve talked about how the weird 4K to 8K curve isn't some product of Excel hallucination, but is actually in accordance with what the data shows – and maybe that’s how it behaves in real life. Or maybe there is some slight error in the data, that snowballed into those curves. That’s ultimately something we can’t really know, unless we can have extensive testing from several sources.

The second problem is simply that the Excel predictions take only 4 GPUs into account, limiting the precision. We can already see it in the first picture, the predictions don't completely line up. This is even more apparent if I show you what the predicted curves look like when extending further :

As you see, it goes to shit very, VERY quickly. At around 1.6 it starts becoming unrealistic ; and to give you an idea, on this scale 1=RTX 3080 tensor performance, and the highest actual data from nvidia we have is the 3090 at around 1.2. So it goes to shit real quick. I don’t think that means that what comes before in the curve is useless; the curve still has to intersect at the origin. 0 tensor performance means 0 speed. And there aren’t infinite ways to go to that (I mean yes there are, but shut up you got the point) ; meanwhile, on the right side of the curve Excel doesn’t have any indication of where to go and this explains how the curve can become so unrealistic.

Can this be improved ? Yes.

What we need is more GPUs. Ideally, less powerful and more powerful than what we have now. I have no clue of where to find info about slower GPUs, but I do know where to start with higher end GPUs : I know techpowerup has done some testing on a 4080 for DLSS. This would allow us to see an actual data point at like 1.6, which would go a long way for improving the predictions. Important thing to note is that we can’t rely on Turing to extend the graph, because Turing doesn’t benefit from sparsity, and the improvement gains from that are unpredicatble as we've seen before; on the other hand, Lovelace tensor cores are basically Ampere tensor cores but with FP8. Considering DLSS most likely does not use that, we can use Lovelace cards to extend the graph. Although what would be best would be a lower end card as, you know, we’re trying to predict the performance of Drake. 4080 results may help for that, but 3050 results would be significantly more appreciated, as it would be much more relevant.

In the next version of the calculator, I will try adding 4080 data to make the predictions more accurate, and I will also continue searching for more data that could help us in our quest of predicting Drake DLSS performance.

You have finally reached the end of the technical stuff. Hope you enjoyed it and if you have any question, don't hesistate. There are many things I glossed over, and I’d be happy to give you more details if you want.

Introducing the DRAKE DLSS ESTIMATOR 6000 :

This new version has some massive changes from the last one, and the results are quite different.
Significantly more accurate (probably) and significantly more optimistic than the last one.
For 4K, the new calculator indicates usually around a 35% smaller time than the old one. Reasons for that detailed in the technical section below.

Let's go quickly over the main changes before going into the details.

Patch notes :
-Complete replacement of all DF data by official Nvidia data
-less variables, which means a smaller margin of error
-Introduced 1080p, removed 1440p
-Linear function used previously replaced by a 3rd degree polynomial (most important)
-Making it look slightly cooler

First thing I want to talk about is a correction : I claimed in a "technical stuff" section in a previous post that DLSS was not just linked to output resolution; I was wrong. This assumption came from the DF data in their second video, but the data in that video turned out to be... meh. Main issue is that the methodology worked perfectly for the purpose of the video, which was comparing FSR to DLSS, but the data is just not good for our use case.

The old calculator was entirely based on that DF data, and that data has been completely phased out of the calculator. Now the calculator uses the data from the document I linked and said was "The One document to rule them all". First advantage is, as said previously, that less variables are involved, reducing the number of ways this can go wrong. But that's not really what's important. That document is from Nvidia, and has data for a lot more GPUs, although only Ampere has been used here for reasons I'll detail later. This means the data is more accurate, but the most important is that the bigger number of GPUs tested allows us to verify if the cost of dlss scales linearily with performance, as supposed until then.
It does not.
It is hard to come to a conclusion as the data is still not as much as I'd like, but using Excel, we can see the curves are akin to a polynomial. I have, as such, asked Excel to make polynomials out of the curves. They ended up being of the third degree, simply because there’s only 4 GPUs whose data I can use.
Here are the curves, with the X axis being the tensor performance and the Y axis the speed of the DLSS calculations (not how long it takes, but the speed; a higher value means faster so a lower ms count).

That change in the way scalability is calculated makes a MASSIVE difference to the results, and is the main factor of change compared to the old calculator.
Here is an illustration : the intersection is the 3080; X coordinate is tensor performance, Y coordinate is the speed of the DLSS calculations.
The orange curve is how I previously thought it would scale, blue curve is how it actually scales.

To give you an idea, Drake would be around 0.07 on the X axis. We see that this new method of calculation heavily benefits Drake.

Using this data, I discovered a lot of things. First of all, the scaling of DLSS speed depending on resolution. It scales kinda linearily, but very loosely. I’ll first talk about the 1080p to 4K difference. I have noticed that the more powerful a GPU is, the smaller the difference between 4K and 1080p speed is; and the less powerful a GPU is, the more that difference tends to be the same as the difference between the number of pixels (so 4x). For example, For Drake, the difference between 1080p speed and 4k speed is very close to 4x because Drake is very not powerful, but for a 3090 it's more like 2.9x.
4K to 8K is significantly weirder. It starts at around 4.3x, then goes up, then down. At first I thought this was some proof the Excel predictions were just not working, but after looking at the Nvidia data, we do see 4k to 8k going up then down.

It isn’t shown in this graph, but I also made 1080p to 1440p, which also looks very weird : starts at 2.2x difference, goes down to 1.5x then starts going up again. So 1080p to 4k looks normal and makes sense, but 4k to 8k and 1080p to 1440p are much weirder for not apparent reason. Btw, talking about 1440p…

I removed it because I’m not sure how accurate it is. Even just looking at the raw data through a graph, the 1440p speed as a function of tensor performance looks... wacky (cf first graph, the orange curve). It looks like the other curves but on steroids. And the fact that the 1080p to 1440p difference curve also looks wacky does not convince me of the validity of my results. I do think in the future I might add back 1440p; but I want to be more sure of what’s going on before, and I want to first put in place the enhancements I mention towards the end.

Now is the time to explain why I didn't use Turing to improve the prediction. I mean, I say now's the time but any point could be the time, it's not linked to any of the other points. In the document, 3 Turing GPUs are benched : 2060 super, 2080 laptop and 2080 TI. First problem : laptop GPUs have special power limiting software that makes it probable the laptop gpu was not running full speed. And we don't know what speed it's running at. This is also reflected in the graphs below, where we see the 2080 laptop is way closer to the 2060 super than it should be.

But that means for Turing we only have 2 GPUs left. How do you infer a curve out of that ? You don't really. That's not enough. 4 is already limiting, so 2? Don't even think about it. And that is why I didn't take into account Turing GPUs in the calculator.

I'll now talk about the sparsity improvement. You may recall that earlier, we used DF's data with a 2060 to estimate the improvement from sparsity. Turns out that improvement massively depends on the card : the faster the card, the smaller the difference. The resolution also plays a role, but a minor one. As such, at the 2060 performance level, we see a 25% improvement from sparsity. 25% is what was found with DF data with a 2060, so that was close. On the other hand, at the 2080 ti performance level, the improvement is merely 9%.

Now let’s talk limitations of my simulations.

First of all, because of the data itslelf. We are talking about official data from Nvidia, but they said they mesured that experimentally by running a command prompt. But anyone who has ever done physics knows that experimental measurements will always be imperfect. Who knows if the GPUs were boosting as they should. Who knows if the antivirus was running in the background. We can never rule out the possibility that the data is not perfect, even if it comes from Nvidia.

This problem may be the reason why some of the behaviors in the graphs are really weird. Or it's not. I do not know. Maybe the wackiness of the 1440p results come from there. Maybe the weird 4K to 8k speed difference is also caused by that. We’ve talked about how the weird 4K to 8K curve isn't some product of Excel hallucination, but is actually in accordance with what the data shows – and maybe that’s how it behaves in real life. Or maybe there is some slight error in the data, that snowballed into those curves. That’s ultimately something we can’t really know, unless we can have extensive testing from several sources.

The second problem is simply that the Excel predictions take only 4 GPUs into account, limiting the precision. We can already see it in the first picture, the predictions don't completely line up. This is even more apparent if I show you what the predicted curves look like when extending further :

As you see, it goes to shit very, VERY quickly. At around 1.6 it starts becoming unrealistic ; and to give you an idea, on this scale 1=RTX 3080 tensor performance, and the highest actual data from nvidia we have is the 3090 at around 1.2. So it goes to shit real quick. I don’t think that means that what comes before in the curve is useless; the curve still has to intersect at the origin. 0 tensor performance means 0 speed. And there aren’t infinite ways to go to that (I mean yes there are, but shut up you got the point) ; meanwhile, on the right side of the curve Excel doesn’t have any indication of where to go and this explains how the curve can become so unrealistic.

Can this be improved ? Yes.

What we need is more GPUs. Ideally, less powerful and more powerful than what we have now. I have no clue of where to find info about slower GPUs, but I do know where to start with higher end GPUs : I know techpowerup has done some testing on a 4080 for DLSS. This would allow us to see an actual data point at like 1.6, which would go a long way for improving the predictions. Important thing to note is that we can’t rely on Turing to extend the graph, because Turing doesn’t benefit from sparsity, and the improvement gains from that are unpredicatble as we've seen before; on the other hand, Lovelace tensor cores are basically Ampere tensor cores but with FP8. Considering DLSS most likely does not use that, we can use Lovelace cards to extend the graph. Although what would be best would be a lower end card as, you know, we’re trying to predict the performance of Drake. 4080 results may help for that, but 3050 results would be significantly more appreciated, as it would be much more relevant.

In the next version of the calculator, I will try adding 4080 data to make the predictions more accurate, and I will also continue searching for more data that could help us in our quest of predicting Drake DLSS performance.

You have finally reached the end of the technical stuff. Hope you enjoyed it and if you have any question, don't hesistate. There are many things I glossed over, and I’d be happy to give you more details if you want.

@Dakhil imo this should be in the OP.

All of those could be in the pipeline, but my point is that a few ports are not the full lineup or the "theme of the year" as some people have been predicting, if Nintendo is expecting a turnaround in Switch sales driven by software (i.e. not launching new hardware in FY24). And what I'm really doing is just mocking the IGN/VGC reporting some more, since I don't even expect the software turnaround scenario, but it would be yet another eventuality that proves them wrong.
I agree. I was being facetious.

Short of some new IP that drives new user adoption, software at this point in time will not drive too many new Switch sales.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom