• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Seeing Fami regulars on Era because they can't post on here during a pivotal moment

220px-Michael_Jordan_crying.jpg

Hello? Is this thing on? Am I all alone? Is anyone there? I need a bigger gun...
The site is barely holding up lol, it keep telling me I need to certify I wasn't a robot lmao
Yeah, not stupid at all. The question is more complicated than it looks!

Consoles reserve OS memory because anything interactive (games, OS UIs) value latency (how fast you start reacting to a button push) over throughput (how fast can you go once you get started). Having a reserve means you're always ready to go.

Desktop/server OSes generally value throughput over latency, so they allocate on-demand. They also swap - that means that they can technically allocate more RAM than they have, and "swap" some of the contents of RAM to disk. You put parts of the system that aren't active onto storage, and then swap them back in when needed. This increases throughput because you effectively have more RAM, but increases latency as some operations have to wait for the swap to happen, and storage is slow.

SteamOS eats about 2 GB of memory on it's own, but it's not a reserve. It can get swapped out. However, that swapping can cause game stutters. In fact, a pretty common tweTak for Steam Deck is to turn swapping off entirely, so that those stutters never happen (at the cost of SteamOS always being in memory).

The other RAM difference on SteamDeck is that while the hardware has one single pool of RAM, just like consoles do, PC architecture expects a seperate pool of RAM for the GPU, like VRAM on a desktop or laptop. SteamDeck solves this by reserving RAM, not for the OS, but for the GPU, and acting like they are separate pools.

But that means the GPU can't access data in the System pool, even though it's the same chip on the motherboard. So games still need to do a (admittedly, very fast) RAM copy every time they want to send data to the graphics hardware. That means two copies of resources exist at a time, at least briefly.

Switch doesn't need to do this copy. Games on Switch can just tell the GPU where the data is. That eliminates a copy, which is not only faster, but more efficient in RAM usage.

So where Switch/Switch 2 has "RAM for the OS, RAM for the game", SteamDeck has "RAM for the OS and the game logic, RAM for the game graphics". Switch/Switch 2 has hard limits, SteamDeck has flexible ones, but in exchange for those flexible limits, you have ineffeciency.
Thank you a lot for the explanation! I can't say I understood everything (and I'm grad in Computer Science lol) but thanks for spending time and expertise to explain this :)

Btw my guess for the name of the Switch successor is either Switch 2 or Switch Next, I really like the latter name

Do we have a timeline for when the other Switch units started stockpiling -> mass production? Could be useful for predicting an announcement now.
that's kind of the strange thing - it looks to us like things started getting into pre-mass-production timeline last September - you can VERY easily tell the difference between September 2023 and the entire history of T239/Switch 2 shpments before that, if you know what to look for.

And it've been like that ever since. Still in sort of the same pattern we have seen since September 2023.

Remember when we were discussing the 6 month timeline, we thought November might be the reveal month, with January to March 2024 as a possible release window? This was based off Switch and SWOLED timeline, we were able to see some of data for those BEFORE they entered mass production.

That of course never happened. This is why I felt so confused when the internal delay to March 2025 was announced. So they've been doing all this stuff since September 2023.. and will continue to do that I guess until they finally enter mass production?

I asked a member (who has sub to the shipment data) if shipment numbers are relatively the same, he said yep, still relatively the same as September. No "mass production numbers" yet.

Keep in mind the data we're looking at now is March. Would be interesting to see what's new in the months of April, May, and the future months. We'll find out more and more, including hopefully confirmation of what Switch 2 screen is, if not 8" TFT-LCD screens (we saw those at nvidia India, but cannot tie to Switch 2 100%)

Edit: TLDR, we're in uncharted territory here lol.

Last edited:
Hello? Is this thing on? Am I all alone? Is anyone there? I need a bigger gun...
The site is barely holding up lol, it keep telling me I need to certify I wasn't a robot lmao

Thank you a lot for the explanation! I can't say I understood everything (and I'm grad in Computer Science lol) but thanks for spending time and expertise to explain this :)

Btw my guess for the name of the Switch successor is either Switch 2 or Switch Next, I really like the latter name
I'm really f'n hoping for Switch 2, but I think the worst we can expect is new Nintendo Switch.

Please work now, I much prefer talking about specs stuff in here, I get less of a headache. I literally read a post elsewhere that said console optimization doesn't make a meaningful difference. 😵‍💫
lol i think i just read that same post a moment ago. yeah, this place seems to have a more informed pool of people discussing tech. the other place also has people explaining the ins and outs of all of this, but often read some really weird takes from some members 😶.

Was wondering why Fami was down, should’ve know it was you crazies making another discovery. I may not know a lick of specs stuff, but I gotta say what ya’ll do is insane, searching out manufacturing plants and sorting through endless listings, somehow figuring out which ones relate to switch 2, and actually dissevering the specs and features of the new console years before they were even rumored? A+ work here

lets pour out a little liqour for our friends/arch-adversaries the Nintendo Ninjas. for their efforts were not in vein, many a Funcle & Buncle were silenced by their shadowy, imposing presence. there's no shame in their game as they haven't dishonoured their masters but it's time to retire and live out a life of peace in the mountains. and maybe tell us the T239 process before setting off up the foothills...

lol i think i just read that same post a moment ago. yeah, this place seems to have a more informed pool of people discussing tech. the other place also has people explaining the ins and outs of all of this, but often read some really weird takes from some members 😶.

The number of times I typed something into the comment box, only to delete it before submitting, thinking "it's not worth it" on that site in the last hour. Ugh.

It's a holiday here in Germany, so I have a day off and aren't really checking in here, but I noticed there's 25 pages since yesterday ... So I feel urged too ask if I missed finishing?
Shipping data regarding parts and identifications (regarding RAM and storage) for what is believed for the Switch 2 have gone "viral" across them interwebs many places linking back to this thread (source) of the findings that detailed everything else gathered over the weeks/months/years.

Last edited:
It's a holiday here in Germany, so I have a day off and aren't really checking in here, but I noticed there's 25 pages since yesterday ... So I feel urged too ask if I missed finishing?
We got RAM and Storage confirmation.

12GB Ram
256GB storage
Also the system will be using UFS 3.1

Edit: Also importantly it seems like it’ll be using LPDDR5X? Modules.

You missed the big leak. Well, one of the big leaks.

Well, probably a leak. But it is big.

Well, pretty big.

A leak, anyway. Probably. Definitely big.

Bring popcorn before you start reading.

To add to the previous reply, pie-in-the-sky expectations have been shot down. It looks as though it's as good as a PS4 Pro (if not a little better) as a base, then throw in all the bells and whistles on top to push it further. So, smack bang in the middle of estimations.... It sounds like a great machine, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Nintendo can do with it.

PS4 Pro + bells and whistles with more modern architecture sounds incredible to me! Never expected more than that. Considering most current gen games run well on the PS4 and the AAA industry is imploding, I doubt we would need more.

There ware findings on shipment data by LiC, Luigi and the rest of the company. The system will feature ram: 12GB 7500 MT/s and 256GB storage of UFS 3.1 storage

I'm honestly thrilled to see the RAM and storage numbers. Much higher than I expected and it seems like a huge jump from the Switch. It's so cool to see Nintendo go back to using more cutting edge specs for their hardware again as well. Don't get me wrong, the Switch was pretty good spec wise at launch but it was still somewhat dated technically and still adhered to the Gunpei Yokoi philosophy of getting the most out of older tech.

We‘ve found RAM and Storage amount in shipping data (among other things).

There was some discussion earlier about realistic and unrealistic expectations. So what do you all think are more realistic expectations to set? I do think saying that the switch 2 is at minimum going to be a PS4 Pro is crazy. If the Switch 2 easily clearing the PS4 Pro doesn't come true this place is burning to the ground. Personally I'm expecting that to kind of be the maximum? Unless we get lucky with clock speeds and the node size, I think that's where this thing is gonna sit in docked mode. And PS4 Pro being where the Switch 2 tops out ain't bad either. I mean the PS4 is still getting games and I'm sure if it had memory as fast as the Switch 2 it could get current gen games. Anyways what do y'all think?

We got RAM and Storage confirmation.

12GB Ram
256GB storage
Also the system will be using UFS 3.1

Edit: Also importantly it seems like it’ll be using LPDDR5X? Modules.

Oh nice. I would've hoped for 16GB to absolutely future-proof it, but 12 is fine too.

Internal storage site is okay, and faaaaast.

Thanks!

Bring popcorn before you start reading.

Thanks, will catch up from the start as my work schedule tomorrow, it's going to be a slow day to begin with.

There was some discussion earlier about realistic and unrealistic expectations. So what do you all think are more realistic expectations to set? I do think saying that the switch 2 is at minimum going to be a PS4 Pro is crazy. If the Switch 2 easily clearing the PS4 Pro doesn't come true this place is burning to the ground. Personally I'm expecting that to kind of be the maximum? Unless we get lucky with clock speeds and the node size, I think that's where this thing is gonna sit in docked mode. And PS4 Pro being where the Switch 2 tops out ain't bad either. I mean the PS4 is still getting games and I'm sure if it had memory as fast as the Switch 2 it could get current gen games. Anyways what do y'all think?
Well, the CPU will be alot faster, more RAM, more modern tech, DLSS, RT cores, FDE…

On the other hand PS4 Pro has higher memory bandwidth and potentially slightly higher Raster Performance than Switch 2 docked.

It just isn’t Apples to Apples, but I expect Switch 2 to be generally more performant than PS4 Pro.

Deep down I fear for if they pull something like...

"Nintendo Switch (2025 Model)"
"Nintendo Switch with Enhanced Processing"

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

With all the past leaks, neither 8 or 7nm can be used.
I don’t know why some people still think.
Pessimism is understandable, when Nintendo is transition off of one of the biggest gaming console in recent memory.

Personally I feel like 6nm might happen, but 4 TSMC would be an absolute dream.

The best we can do is wait and see if we’ll hear more rumours or confirmation from Nintendo.

Well, the CPU will be alot faster, more RAM, more modern tech, DLSS, RT cores…

On the other hand PS4 Pro has higher memory bandwidth and potentially higher Raster Performance than Switch 2 docked.

It just isn’t Apples to Apples, but I expect Switch 2 to be generally more performant than PS4 Pro.
Switch 2 will be more current gen that old gen.
Modern tech , DLSS etc…
I am personally confident 😁

I'm not the biggest fan of estimates given in terms of last gen consoles like PS4-like or whatever. I know it has its use, but there's just so many differences in architecture, RAM type and capacity, storage, GPU feature set... there are certain PS4 titles that the Switch 2 would eat for breakfast. And it's also weird when a common comparison is to a Pro console, which had no exclusives and its raster power was used to render PS4 games at higher resolutions, so the discussion just gets muddy. Like if we're saying 'its a PS4 in handheld but much better CPU, more RAM, better GPU' then the comparison starts to lose its potency. But I also personally don't like when the Switch is called a portable Xbox 360, so I'm particularly finicky.

These comparisons have been useful in the context of this thread where there's an ongoing consensus but now that they've been regurgitated across the Internet without the benefit of having others clarify, there's just been a mess of expectations. That and we don't even have clock speeds yet to further ground these estimates.

Pessimism is understandable, when Nintendo is transition off of one of the biggest gaming console in recent memory.

Personally I feel like 6nm might happen, but 4 TSMC would be an absolute dream.

The best we can do is wait and see if we’ll hear more rumours or confirmation from Nintendo.
Let us dreaming my friend!

That is true. I think the only thing that was underwhelming at the time was the internal storage. Which ironically enough is another point of contention with the Switch 2 specs.
Well, at least I hoped they would launch on 16nm. 20 nm is a really bad node, which led to low clocks.

We got 16nm 2 years later, but none of the performance benefit since they wanted to keep parity.

Storage makes a lot of sense and RAM sounds perfect though am sure Ninty is going to be reserving some of both of that so we’ll see. They haven’t needed to be an all in one device so I honestly hope it’s still a gaming specific device.

Was wondering why Fami was down, should’ve know it was you crazies making another discovery. I may not know a lick of specs stuff, but I gotta say what ya’ll do is insane, searching out manufacturing plants and sorting through endless listings, somehow figuring out which ones relate to switch 2, and actually dissevering the specs and features of the new console years before they were even rumored? A+ work here
tenor.gif

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom