• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

You know what, I was abandoning this thread because the same topics had been going around for months, by now I was getting tired of listening to them for the thousandth time, only with Nintendo's announcement on Switch 2 and the discoveries of the memories that I changed my mind, I'm staying in this thread.

I can't tell if you're sarcastic 😅

But last I checked I had 7 new pages to go through, then the site crashed. So I went to bed. Woke up and it grew to 16 new pages. I did some morning chores and now it's 18.
I'm not being sarcastic. I'm skipping pages.

It's good to know that I managed to post something that had ambiguous sarcasm. :D

if i read thraktors stuff right, this is just the gpus power draw estimations, so the full switch2 would be drawing more power than this when you add in screen, cpu, ram, and other components. its more to show just how much extra power is required because of this fat gpu
Even so, what that chart shows is that don't matter if it is 4NM or 8NM, the final product still can be very powerful.

Be in 4NM and have 4/2 Tflops and consumes 6.35W or be in 8NM and have 3.4/1.7 Tflops and consume 7W. Both are too close and looks good for me.

Another thing I noticed was the high power consumption when on Dock. I mean 29W or 24W? That is more than double the switch 1 uses. This thing is going to get a lot hotter than the Switch. This will end up needing a fan on the dock in the end.

Interesting 🤔 , you'd suggest there would be some recency bias considering the current system has bespoke and optimised ports for certain 3rd party games. Thus, a successor potentially being more in line with modern standards, competent upscale and better hardware for RT, allow for ports that may not have to cutback as much to achieve a certain fidelity.

Moreover, it's odd how one can say that console optimizations don't make a meaningful difference, when we literally had a GDC conference regarding Avatar:Frontiers of pandora where they specifically optimize their RT GI + reflection and denoising to achieve the performance target. The slide is literally called GI + Reflection optimisation. This goes for countless games, especially the PS5 whose API has been more production ready and is also the primary development target as DF has mentioned before.

The Switch will be likely no different, and that's something different from all these PC-based handhelds. When Steam Deck 2 or w/e stronger pc based handheld comes along the road, there'll be close comparisons being made, and I have no doubt that the Switch 2 will punch above its weight.
Unless NVIDIA does a funny thing and releases their own handheld 😂 .
I think we have to understand that a lot of people in the hardcore gaming crowd have a certain view about Nintendo and specs. So they will probably challenge any notion that Switch 2 would challenge the Steam deck in performance not to mention even be superior in some ways to the steam deck pretty hard. It will probably take digital foundry making a video where they break it down after Switch 2 release to get those guys to accept that kind of reality when it comes to Switch 2.

I think we have to understand that a lot of people in the hardcore gaming crowd have a certain view about Nintendo and specs. So they will probably challenge any notion that Switch 2 would challenge the Steam deck in performance not to mention even be superior in some ways to the steam deck pretty hard. It will probably take digital foundry making a video where they break it down after Switch 2 release to get those guys to accept that kind of reality when it comes to Switch 2.
Not in "some ways", that notion is well outdated now that we know it's memory configuration. It will eat it for breakfast before any of the optimization and Nvidia tricks, try to put that on perspective.

Even so, what that chart shows is that don't matter if it is 4NM or 8NM, the final product still can be very powerful.

Be in 4NM and have 4/2 Tflops and consumes 6.35W or be in 8NM and have 3.4/1.7 Tflops and consume 7W. Both are too close and looks good for me.

Another thing I noticed was the high power consumption when on Dock. I mean 29W or 24W? That is more than double the switch 1 uses. This thing is going to get a lot hotter than the Switch. This will end up needing a fan on the dock in the end.
yeah i mean hey they could go for a 15w portable tdp or something and bank on releasing a 4nm shrink a few years down the line, who knows tbh. we still dont know battery size afterall.

Real question is can run GTA V..
YARN | - Think it'll scare the kids? - This will give the parents  nightmares. | Jurassic World Trailer | Video clips by quotes | 42b93557 | 紗

GTA V?
It'll run GTA VI

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Apologies for the late reaction. I just read your post. Yes, I'm 17 pages behind.

Not in "some ways", that notion is well outdated now that we know it's memory configuration. It will eat it for breakfast before any of the optimization and Nvidia tricks, try to put that on perspective.
we’ll that notion depend on where you are, for example if your in Reddit or PC spaces, you’ll see people who will in the end of time undermine the Switch 2 performance and specs, even after it launches.

We even see that with some noticiable influencer always saying ,, We might never know, because Nintendo’’ despite the Switch being one of the most advanced handheld of its time and pretty much paved the way for PC handhelds.

Like heck man even Digital foundry believe it’ll be 8NM, mostly because overhyping a Nintendo hardware can always bite them in the ass from people online.

But I’m quite optimistic of either a 4 TSMC or the second best node available, but not 8NM if we’re reading the reports right.

we’ll that notion depend on where you are, for example if your in Reddit or PC spaces, you’ll see people who will in the end of time undermine the Switch 2 performance and specs, even after it launches.

We even see that with some noticiable influencer always saying ,, We might never know, because Nintendo’’ despite the Switch being one of the most advanced handheld of its time and pretty much paved the way for PC handhelds.

Like heck man even Digital foundry believe it’ll be 8NM, mostly because overhyping a Nintendo hardware can always bite them in the ass from people online.

But I’m quite optimistic of either a 4 TSMC or the second best node available, but not 8NM if we’re reading the reports right.
I'm speaking from what we know objectively, we shouldn't really care about the opinions that aren't necessarily grounded on reality.

I know the thread has blown up since the new shipping info was posted, but I saw that some people were concerned about the memory bandwidth situation compared to other consoles, so I thought I'd do some calculations using the new numbers and compare them to the known memory bandwidth of desktop Ampere GPUs. For reference, I chose the 3070, 3080, and 3080 12GB (all stats taken from techpowerup).

Here are the relevant specs for the three cards, and the ratios of memory bandwidth (GB/s) to compute performance (TFLOPS):

GPUCompute (TFLOPS)Memory Bandwidth (GB/s)Bandwidth/TFLOPS (GB/s)
RTX 307020.3144822.06
RTX 308029.77760.325.53
RTX 3080 12GB30.64912.429.78

Now, using the Bandwidth/TFLOPS stats on the right, we can calculate what would be an appropriate GPU performance for the 120 GB/s maximum bandwidth of the LPDDR5(x) parts from the shipping manifest, which gives us 5.44 TF using the 3070's numbers, 4.7TF using the 3080's numbers, and 4.03 using the 3080 12GB. I'm going to assume here that the 3070 and base 3080 are not significantly bandwidth starved, which means that the T239 GPU should have plenty of bandwidth for an Ampere GPU of its performance level, unless they're running it incredibly fast in docked mode.

I also did some calculations with a few theoretical T239 performance levels, using the numbers from the 3080 as a baseline:

GPU performance (TFLOPS)Required Memory Bandwidth (GB/s)
1.69 (550MHz portable mode, from Thraktor's guess)43.15
3.07 (1GHz, roughly equivalent to DF's tests, likely too low)78.38
3.37 (1.1GHz, based on Thraktor's guess)86.04
4 (~1.3GHz, very high estimate, from MLID's maybe-leak)102.12

Now, obviously the GPU isn't the only component that needs to use the memory bus, but I think it's fairly safe to assume it's the most bandwidth hungry component, while the CPU is going to care more about latency. Given these results, I don't think the lower bandwidth than other consoles will matter, as in all these situations, the GPU has plenty of bandwidth available for an Ampere GPU of its expected performance level.

they better have a lite out in time for animal crossing and pokemon gen 10
Wait, since when you've been pro-Switch Lite?

Anyway, it's great to see more people are joining in our ranks! Viva la Lite!
Switch 1 can run GTA V, and run it well, if they bothered to port it.
Switch 1 still alive and well and I have reasons to believe it still can get GTA5. And/or GTA4. Yes, in its 8th year.

my sister: "the regular switch is already a bit heavy for me"

bro it is so fucking over

they better have a lite out in time for animal crossing and pokemon gen 10
I maintain that the Switch Lite is the comfiest handheld I have ever held (That includes game systems, phones, tables, etc)

I prefer docked more so I could never justify the investment, but in a few years if they made a Switch 2 that's the size of the Lite, doesnt sacrifice docking, and has an OLED screen....it would be perfection

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom