• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Seems like couple of people are now talking about the recent specs information that was found here.
looking at the era thread where someone straight up ripped hidden information here 1:1 without permission and saw:

"id buy it if it had a jailbreak day one"
"256GB... fucking nintendo"

Now I remember why I left that place 😑

It wouldn't make sense to use UFS 3.1 with SD cards, not in the slightest. SD express is basically a lock by now, no way they'll hold themselves back with such a slow storage medium now that we have every current gen system shipping with NVME drives.
Nintendo does something that doesn't make sense every generation.

Does anyone have a link to a microSD express listing that's available right now?

Yeah but keep in mind that inflation plays a role, so they could adjust the price as they would see fit (considering also the weak yen)

How much usable RAM for games has SD? Since I saw speculation about 11GB for Switch Next
Steam Deck does not reserve ram. It's a PC so it will do multipurpose things.
You're right, I'm stupid
No, it's a good question. Especially with all the inevitable comparisons we'll see.
Yeah, not stupid at all. The question is more complicated than it looks!

Consoles reserve OS memory because anything interactive (games, OS UIs) value latency (how fast you start reacting to a button push) over throughput (how fast can you go once you get started). Having a reserve means you're always ready to go.

Desktop/server OSes generally value throughput over latency, so they allocate on-demand. They also swap - that means that they can technically allocate more RAM than they have, and "swap" some of the contents of RAM to disk. You put parts of the system that aren't active onto storage, and then swap them back in when needed. This increases throughput because you effectively have more RAM, but increases latency as some operations have to wait for the swap to happen, and storage is slow.

SteamOS eats about 2 GB of memory on it's own, but it's not a reserve. It can get swapped out. However, that swapping can cause game stutters. In fact, a pretty common tweTak for Steam Deck is to turn swapping off entirely, so that those stutters never happen (at the cost of SteamOS always being in memory).

The other RAM difference on SteamDeck is that while the hardware has one single pool of RAM, just like consoles do, PC architecture expects a seperate pool of RAM for the GPU, like VRAM on a desktop or laptop. SteamDeck solves this by reserving RAM, not for the OS, but for the GPU, and acting like they are separate pools.

But that means the GPU can't access data in the System pool, even though it's the same chip on the motherboard. So games still need to do a (admittedly, very fast) RAM copy every time they want to send data to the graphics hardware. That means two copies of resources exist at a time, at least briefly.

Switch doesn't need to do this copy. Games on Switch can just tell the GPU where the data is. That eliminates a copy, which is not only faster, but more efficient in RAM usage.

So where Switch/Switch 2 has "RAM for the OS, RAM for the game", SteamDeck has "RAM for the OS and the game logic, RAM for the game graphics". Switch/Switch 2 has hard limits, SteamDeck has flexible ones, but in exchange for those flexible limits, you have ineffeciency.

baymax-baymaxohno.gif

I came thirsty for specs, but can't really understand anything people are talking about :( praying for some good soul to dumb down the new info for us 🙏

To add to the previous reply, pie-in-the-sky expectations have been shot down. It looks as though it's as good as a PS4 Pro (if not a little better) as a base, then throw in all the bells and whistles on top to push it further. So, smack bang in the middle of estimations.... It sounds like a great machine, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Nintendo can do with it.

looking at the era thread where someone straight up ripped hidden information here 1:1 without permission and saw:

"id buy it if it had a jailbreak day one"
"256GB... fucking nintendo"

Now I remember why I left that place 😑

If you left why are you looking at that thread :p

damn tf is happening to this site

did the nintendo ninjas catch on to our findings lmfao
I’m guessing the influx of people coming here, since couple of popular Twitter accounts are talking about the leaks.

Or maybe there was some weird code that was found.

...if there aren't 512 ones it's gonna be a problem for me then. Guess I'd better hope they found a compatability solution
MicroSDe readers will be compatible with existing MicroSD cards. No reason Nintendo couldn't let you play your Switch 1 games off your existing SD Card.

I recently bought Alan wake 2 and I absolutely forgot how much GB those bad boys are in the PS5. And how much time is takes to move some games to my storage box (forgot the name, English not my native language)

It makes me curious how third party developers will handle it, heck FF7 rebirth is 150GB.

Also surprisingly the RE remakes are nicely optimises for storage.

Thankfully I don’t see Nintendo having any problems with storage for their physical cartridges, but having to download games for the Switch 2 that will exceeds 100GB is sounding to be an absolute chore.

....there's no chance Nintendo will take action against this site because of this right? Not like anything nefarious was done in these searches

Do we have any proof that T239 is 4N? 4N seems much more cutting edge than Nintendo has used in decades. Going from 16nm to 4nm would be monumental

We don't have any proof on the manufacturing process, it's purely speculation.

Ironically, TSMC's 4N would actually be older than almost any manufacturing process Nintendo has used previously. When the Switch launched in March 2017, it was using a TSMC 20nm SoC. The first products using 20nm chips came to market in late 2014, so you could say the process was two and half years old by the time the Switch 2 launched.

The 4N process is part of TSMC's 5nm class of manufacturing processes, which are all largely the same thing with a few relatively small tweaks here and there. The first device using chips made with a TSMC 5nm process was the iPhone 12, launched in September 2020. So, assuming a March 2025 launch, the TSMC 5nm processes will be four and a half years old by the time Switch 2 launches. Almost twice as old as 20nm was when Switch launched.

Granted, the market is different than it was when Switch launched, and because of both technical and economic reasons new process are being adopted more slowly than they were in the past, and 3nm took longer to hit the market than expected. Still, TSMC's 5nm processes really aren't that cutting edge by 2025 standards.

Give it to me straight Fami, how many Gamecubes taped together is this? What brand of tape as they using? Has Nintendo considered glue instead?
I think my brain was pranking me, but I think i saw something in the 700s. You could build a house with that many gamecubes.

Give it to me straight Fami, how many Gamecubes taped together is this? What brand of tape as they using? Has Nintendo considered glue instead?
Super glue and about 734 GameCube stacked together… Also it’ll be running with hopes and dreams.

The one "because Nintendo" that is likely to happen is calling the successor Switch Attach. (Or another terrible name)
THAT's what people should be worried about, the hardware itself is great.

re: Micro SDExpress

The chip has support for it, despite the fact that Nvidia could cut out literally anything Nintendo didn't want or need.

Nvidia has explicitly tested SDExpress to make sure it's working.

MicroSD Express support is backwards compatible with MicroSD cards.

Several companies have all announced new MicroSD Express cards all at once, Samsung being explicit that they did so at the request of "a customer" so that the cards would be on the market.

It seems extremely likely that Nintendo is going put MicroSD Express support into the hardware. The cost to them is extremely small. They tell partners that they're doing it, so partners can get MicroSD Express cards to market by launch time.

If no one buys the MicroSD Express cards that these partners make, then it's no skin off Nintendo's nose. People can continue to use the cheap MicroSD cards they've got, because the slot supports the existing format. If it causes performance problems, well, so be it. They'll pop a warning on the screen, and people can install to internal storage (or buy physical game cards) and the problem goes away.

If the market catches on, because Nintendo went to multiple partners, then the cards will become cheap, and Nintendo gets fast expandable storage for very little investment.

If the market doesn't expand, but stays just barely big enough for the cards to be made but expensive - well, they're not Nintendo branded, so no one is going to yell at Nintendo for making "expensive proprietary cards" and the cheap MicroSD will remain an option for penny pinchers who just want to rotate through a massive digital library.

It's win/win/win

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

Welcome back Fami, I hope we get Famiboards Pro someday
Not the codename, just a codename.
Ah fair enough. I think the name's meaning goes hard, so I'll definitely use it on occasion, but still interesting to see basically all these findings in the world now.

Why the fuck did it take for the second that Switch 2 to release for basically everything to go crazy. I would've appreciated this sort of chaotic energy a week ago. Eh, we're here now, no skin off my nose.

"Oh my god the YouTube leak was real NL-AM stands for Attach Model"
- someone in the reddit thread

I swear if that is actually the name of the system we're cooked

Do we have the Switch 2 name, since someone mentioned it might actually be called Switch Attach.
Nope, still MIA, I don't believe we'll know for sure unless there's a factory line leak or Nintendo actually reveals it. We're getting closer to it though. Just one more year lads.

"Oh my god the YouTube leak was real NL-AM stands for Attach Model"
- someone in the reddit thread

I swear if that is actually the name of the system we're cooked
I meannnnnn Attach the joy cons to the system....attach the system to the dock maybe. I don't know lmao

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom