• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

How big can a Switch 2 feasibly be before you say "its not really a handheld/portable" anymore

With recent rumors indicating a slightly bigger Switch, How big is too big, Should they get bigger?
I think Switch 1 already passed the thereshold of what I would consider a traditional handheld.
At this point a slight size increase doesn't make too much of a difference as long as it's confortable to hold in your hands.

d217e8c1c57948509dce1af7b66fcfd0awsaccesskeyidakiatclmsgfx4j7tu445expires1698023925signatureh8yygn6uidtwsbx2beys9iwqsnak3d-9e106092648f042d4f16954319485368-1024-1024.webp

For some reason my cell phone crashed and only posted the photo LOL.
But what I wanted to say in the post was:

I was thinking, if Nintendo puts good Wi-Fi on the Switch 2, it would be possible to implement a second screen mode using the cell phone screen. Today, Smartphones can maintain a connection to WiFi and serve as a router at the same time. With a QR Code and its own app, it would be possible to connect a Smartphone to the switch via the WiFi network created by the console and thus stream a second screen and even accept touch input.
Perhaps the Grip and Pro Controler could already come with a "hook" like these Android controlers to fit the smartphone.

For some reason my cell phone crashed and only posted the photo LOL.
But what I wanted to say in the post was:

I was thinking, if Nintendo puts good Wi-Fi on the Switch 2, it would be possible to implement a second screen mode using the cell phone screen. Today, Smartphones can maintain a connection to WiFi and serve as a router at the same time. With a QR Code and its own app, it would be possible to connect a Smartphone to the switch via the WiFi network created by the console and thus stream a second screen and even accept touch input.
Perhaps the Grip and Pro Controler could already come with a "hook" like these Android controlers to fit the smartphone.
No. Games would rarely use it and it‘d be to complicated to set-up. They could just make it a dualscreen, With the second screen having a lower resolution and less features (no HDR) it wouldn‘t cost much more and would be far more practical.

No. Games would rarely use it and it‘d be to complicated to set-up. They could just make it a dualscreen, With the second screen having a lower resolution and less features (no HDR) it wouldn‘t cost much more and would be far more practical.
I really think adding a second screen doesn't get more practical than this. In addition to the price, it wouldn't work for TV mode.
This technology for streaming the second screen would be the same as the Playstation Portal technology. Better done by connecting directly to the console and not the home's Wi-Fi network, and used for gameplay purposes instead of just being a mirror of the console's screen.
It's a technology that has been on the market for years, and would only require a good Wi-Fi chip and antenna.

I really think adding a second screen doesn't get more practical than this. In addition to the price, it wouldn't work for TV mode.
This technology for streaming the second screen would be the same as the Playstation Portal technology. Better done by connecting directly to the console and not the home's Wi-Fi network, and used for gameplay purposes instead of just being a mirror of the console's screen.
It's a technology that has been on the market for years, and would only require a good Wi-Fi chip and antenna.
This patent with a dualscreen device whichs screens can be detached from each other Nintendo has filed recently, would solve the issue with TV mode easily. You see that Nintendo has already experimented with it, and if we get dualscreen, that‘s the way to go. It would use WiFi in docked mode of course. It would be the perfect combination of Wii U, Switch and 3DS. I already thought about combining them like that before the patent, but it seemed unlikely it‘d happen. Since the patent is published, I‘ve more hope.

Last edited:
Nintendo's explored this with Wii U and continues to explore the idea of a companion screen. I would absolutely love the "Next Gen" Joy-Con grip to go insane and expand out into a console grip, twist into a phone grip, and so on and so forth, but being realistic, they'll keep doing what they're doing.

Fact is the NSO App already provides a second screen experience for games that want them, and if they desire they can make that include a video stream. Strong "if they desire". For video streaming latency, Nintendo Switch already has adequate wireless performance even over a home network as we see with the quality of Mario Kart Live Home Circuit.

If they wanna do it they can, and they can do it through the NSO app. Just please. No QR codes.

Nintendo's explored this with Wii U and continues to explore the idea of a companion screen. I would absolutely love the "Next Gen" Joy-Con grip to go insane and expand out into a console grip, twist into a phone grip, and so on and so forth, but being realistic, they'll keep doing what they're doing.

Fact is the NSO App already provides a second screen experience for games that want them, and if they desire they can make that include a video stream. Strong "if they desire". For video streaming latency, Nintendo Switch already has adequate wireless performance even over a home network as we see with the quality of Mario Kart Live Home Circuit.

If they wanna do it they can, and they can do it through the NSO app. Just please. No QR codes.
Why are you all ignoring the detachabel dualscreen patent from Nintendo. Not saying it has to be used, but if we get dualscreen then it‘ll most likely use the technique from the patent.

Why are you all ignoring the detachabel dualscreen patent from Nintendo. Not saying it has to be used, but if we get dualscreen then it‘ll most likely use the technique from the patent.
as I understand it, if a Nintendo patent is published before a related product releases, it generally means it's not going to be used.

generally speaking, if a Nintendo patent is published before a related product releases it means it's not going to be used as-is.
I know, but it‘s still a much superior solution to using Smartphones and all that clunky other suggestions. Every rule has exceptions. Whenever they release a hybrid with two screens they‘ll definitely use this patent. Using Smartphones for anything related to a console is very inconvenient and annoying. And to exclude that patent discussion about dualscreens for Switch 2 just because the patent rule doesn’t seem right. By that logic any hope for Scrollwheel Shoulder Buttons is lost but we are still discussing them. Does anyone know if there was a exception for the patent rule at any console?

Last edited:
I think all this talk about some more or less exotic ways to include another screen on a Switch-like-system are best saved for the Switch 3 speculation.

It's of Nintendo's best interest to keep gimmick stuff on ReDraketed at a minimum, to ensure they're having stable console sales for two generations.
Would also bring some mind-peace to a lot of third parties.

Imo, of course.

I think all this talk about some more or less exotic ways to include another screen on a Switch-like-system are best saved for the Switch 3 speculation.

It's of Nintendo's best interest to keep gimmick stuff on ReDraketed at a minimum, to ensure they're having stable console sales for two generations.
Would also bring some mind-peace to a lot of third parties.

Imo, of course.
Now then we‘ll have to wait 7+ years for Xenoblade X Definitive Edition and Nintendo Land Deluxe./s

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

I do remember hearing some time ago that Sharp and Innolux were merging their display business, so I wonder in searching if that makes a difference. Not sure if Sharp actually puts their name on products anymore, or if they are just the tech house behind display ideas...

This patent with a dualscreen device whichs screens can be detached from each other Nintendo has filed recently, would solve the issue with TV mode easily. You see that Nintendo has already experimented with it, and if we get dualscreen, that‘s the way to go. It would use WiFi in docked mode of course. It would be the perfect combination of Wii U, Switch and 3DS. I already thought about combining them like that before the patent, but it seemed unlikely it‘d happen. Since the patent is published, I‘ve more hope.

The Patent isn't quite clear on this, or perhaps I missed it, but would that mean the hardware itself is on the bigger main screen? That way when you detach it, and dock it to your TV, the hardware is now running in its "docked" profile with more horsepower. And then you're left with the secondary smaller screen where the controls are ala Wii U Gamepad, but hopefully with much better battery life.

Either way though, my thought is this would make the system rather complex compared to what we have with the current Switch. You would need two batteries, one for each side of the clamshell, plus the Controller portion would need a bespoke connection like what the Wii U had via proprietary Wifi protocol. The downside of all this is Joy-Cons wouldn't really be a thing anymore

I personally do not like this approach, and would much prefer a Switch 2.0. Perhaps this is something Nintendo may experiment with down the road, but we also know they submitted the patent for the Supplemental Computing Device about a decade ago, and I'm still waiting for that.

I do remember hearing some time ago that Sharp and Innolux were merging their display business, so I wonder in searching if that makes a difference. Not sure if Sharp actually puts their name on products anymore, or if they are just the tech house behind display ideas...

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

The Patent isn't quite clear on this, or perhaps I missed it, but would that mean the hardware itself is on the bigger main screen? That way when you detach it, and dock it to your TV, the hardware is now running in its "docked" profile with more horsepower. And then you're left with the secondary smaller screen where the controls are ala Wii U Gamepad, but hopefully with much better battery life.

Either way though, my thought is this would make the system rather complex compared to what we have with the current Switch. You would need two batteries, one for each side of the clamshell, plus the Controller portion would need a bespoke connection like what the Wii U had via proprietary Wifi protocol. The downside of all this is Joy-Cons wouldn't really be a thing anymore

I personally do not like this approach, and would much prefer a Switch 2.0. Perhaps this is something Nintendo may experiment with down the road, but we also know they submitted the patent for the Supplemental Computing Device about a decade ago, and I'm still waiting for that.
Why should Joy-Cons not being a thing anymore? Patents only show things that are relevant to the system in question (they are abstract). I also think most big games will only use the second screen for menus and‘ll be playable on a Single Screen (however that would work, maybe with the mainboard being detatchable). Nintendo probably would incorporate it in a very easy and practical way.

Why should Joy-Cons not being a thing anymore? Patents only show things that are relevant to the system in question (they are abstract). I also think most big games will only use the second screen for menus and‘ll be playable on a Single Screen (however that would work, maybe with the mainboard being detatchable). Nintendo probably would incorporate it in a very easy and practical way.

Because if the Joy-cons are on the rails of the where the secondary screen are, then what's the point of removing them to begin with? It serves no purpose as you could do tabletop mode with the Main screen detached, and propped up. The only other option would be to put a rail onto the main screen that can be detached ala Switch, but at that point, you're left with this other piece of hardware with a smaller screen and controls like the Wii U Gamepad, and IMO good luck convincing Developers to utilize it in this day and age.

I just don't find any substance into the patent being relevant to the Switch 2 is all I'm saying. I think it overcomplicates the system for not much of a gain. IMO, Dual Screen gaming is all but dead.

You mean Switch? My model is definitely an IPS panel, wich btw. is the best technology for gaming LCDs. VA has its drawbacks too. I hope its not really TFT o_O!
...IPS panels still use Thin Film Transistor elements.

They're sometimes even called "Super TFT", much like how we had TN and STN panels.

Because if the Joy-cons are on the rails of the where the secondary screen are, then what's the point of removing them to begin with? It serves no purpose as you could do tabletop mode with the Main screen detached, and propped up. The only other option would be to put a rail onto the main screen that can be detached ala Switch, but at that point, you're left with this other piece of hardware with a smaller screen and controls like the Wii U Gamepad, and IMO good luck convincing Developers to utilize it in this day and age.

I just don't find any substance into the patent being relevant to the Switch 2 is all I'm saying. I think it overcomplicates the system for not much of a gain. IMO, Dual Screen gaming is all but dead.
The Patent would serve the purpose to bring back the feature of a dualscreen to a hybrid system, bringing back features was one of the most important things at the development of the Switch, as was noted in the Jenuary Presentation. I expect them to continue that. Back in 2016/17 there were similar concerns for the Swith and look how it turned out. There still would be enough use for the Joy-Cons, alone for BC (while still having more use). I think it‘s not it wouldn‘t work, but rather that you just don‘t want dualscreen back, which is okay but keep in mind it‘s easy to play songle screen games on a dualscreen device (especially if you can take one screen away) but it isn‘t as easy to get dualscreen games on a singlescreen device. There are always people who want Nintendo to stop innovating on hardware (because of the fear of loss of convenience and existing features) but they probably‘ll be disappointed: NG definitely won’t be a Switch 2.0, it‘ll innovate in one way or another. Sorry if I come over as rude, I just really like dualscreen.

Last edited:
I know that its technically a TFT with a different subpixel alignment, but back in the days, everyone was refering to TFT while comparing the older LCD models (with bad reaction time/bad viewing angles) to IPS and VA and i thought, that you meant that 😅.
Maybe thinking of TN panels?

The Patent would serve the purpose to bring back the feature of a dualscreen to a hybrid system, bringing back features was one of the most important things at the development of the Switch, as was noted in the Jenuary Presentation. I expect them to continue that. Back in 2016/17 there were similar concerns for the Swith and look how it turned out. There still would be enough use for the Joy-Cons, alone for BC (while still having more use). I think it‘s not it wouldn‘t work, but rather that you just don‘t want dualscreen back, which is okay but keep in mind it‘s easy to play songle screen games on a dualscreen device (especially if you can take one screen away) but it isn‘t as easy to get dualscreen games on a singlescreen device. There are always people who want Nintendo to stop innovating on hardware (because of the fear of loss of convenience and existing features) but they probably‘ll be disappointed: NG definitely won’t be a Switch 2.0, it‘ll innovate in one way or another.

That's fair. I'm more of the thought that this will be the time when Nintendo does not "innovate" in the traditional sense like they have, and instead will be an Evolution rather than a Revolution of the Switch.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom