• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

It would change from this:
The highlighted part is what makes all the difference in ergonomics for me

vDET8o6.png

To something like this:
3gEC6os.png

They would need to make others changes so I could appreciate taller joy-cons. Well, whatever design they chose to come with, I can only hope they nailed it. Anyway, I just wanted to praise the current design when used like this (at least for hands mid-size like mine lol)
I see what you're getting at, but there are ways around it. The Joy-Cons are the evolution of the wiimote, where your finger wasn't expected to rest across the top of it (and doing so would block the pointer). As long as they don't separate the shoulders TOO much, a longer Joy-Con could have ZL/ZR as a lower default resting space.
The issue is that if the device is larger in any dimension, that kinda diminishes the appeal of a Mini
Considering how thin Switch is compared to previous portables, I think there's leeway. Something can be paper thin and still not very pocketable if the other dimensions are too much. Other than flamboyant Z buttons, Switch makes GBA look fat.
fWUApmj.png

(Pretty pleased with how this comparison image came out. Much credit to dimensions.com for good source images.)

I was thinking, what if they added a trackpad to the right joycon? Move the Home Button to the Left and the open space could fit something like this.
It wouldn't be the most ergonomic solution in the world, at least in the current joycon size, but it would be put to good use, especially in games like Civilization.

I was thinking, what if they added a trackpad to the right joycon? Move the Home Button to the Left and the open space could fit something like this.
It wouldn't be the most ergonomic solution in the world, at least in the current joycon size, but it would be put to good use, especially in games like Civilization.
If they were really creative, they'd put the touchpad on the back of the joycon and make the entire rear surface capacti- hey wait a sec that's just the Vita again!

I’m assuming it’s more than likely a game or port he may have sleuthed out years ago? Maybe something broader than a specific title like a studio that could be doing or working on X.

You know what the Switch 2 needs to have? Two types of docks. One for streaming to the TV and charging, and a second one that only charges. Like that charging dock of the 3DS. While one is to have next to the TV, the other one sits on your nightstand next to bed. That way it would be much easier for people who play in Handheld Mode. They can play in bed for a couple of minutes before going to sleep, and when the time comes, they just put it in their charging dock, so they have a full battery life when waking up.

3ds-charging-cradle.1136742769.cover.jpg

Imagine this for Switch 2, but as a seperate product from the system/bundle itself.
What do you need a bulky upsold accessory for? Just plug in a USB cable.

I'm hoping for colored buttons. You gotta make the Joy-Cons seem new somehow. Perfect way to showcase these colored buttoned Joycons have no drift/ right?

Some colleagues of mine suggest they will say "We have nothing to announce at this time". Expectations are dropping for us shareholders it seems (I guess I was wrong in some of my earlier posts this week). I wouldn't be surprised if some of them pull their holdings on Monday. With even more events unfolding in the geopolitical landscape (Some today), There is a small possibility that we might need prepared to wait longer than we thought for various parts (tease, announcement, reveal, release). To be clear for anyone who doesn't know, I do not know anything concrete. Just rumors that may or may not come from people insider trading. I'm extremely interested and nervous to see what happens to their stock tomorrow (Hell, All tech for that matter)
I don't know if they really wanna delay things much with the whole mig-switch situation

That's going to happen regardless lol.

"This looks to good for Switch" has become a meme.
After 3-4 years it‘ll turn into „This looks to good for Switch 2“ and people‘ll complain how underpowered it is. People never change.

It‘s also really fascinating how people act like the Steam Deck is a powerhouse and Nintendo never made powerful hardware. The Steam Deck launched literally 5 years after Switch, no wonder it‘s more powerful. It seems like most people on the internet lack any understanding of tech and how it advances over the years. And they‘ll continue like this, even after Switch 2’ll turn out to be quite a bit more powerful then the Deck.

Last edited:
If you're talking in absolute terms, Android has the smallest smartphone on the market. That's different to having the smallest FLAGSHIP, of course, but it's not like the UniHertz Jelly line doesn't exist. The Jelly Star is rocking 3" of multitouch.

Where it's relevant to Nintendo, comfort portability and size interact in the opposite way too, where you can make a device larger so long as it's thin. This is why I don't expect the NG Switch to increase in thickness at all, it would affect portability far too much and introduce a host of other problems. In theory it could decrease in thickness, but I don't think that's likely. Maybe the NG Lite will be thinner this time.
Ha never heard about that phone before. Googled a bit about it and it looks like it has the typical exotic Android phone manufacturer problem, which is not getting regular or any security/OS updates.

I disagree about that getting larger doesn‘t affect the portability (if I understood the first sentence in your second paragraph correct and that is what it means). But I agree with you about thinking the next console will not be thicker. I also really hope so it won’t get thicker, if it stays the same size or gets bigger. Just yesterday I played the Switch in bed and it is just not comfortable for me with the size and the weight of it.

How big can a Switch 2 feasibly be before you say "its not really a handheld/portable" anymore

With recent rumors indicating a slightly bigger Switch, How big is too big, Should they get bigger?
I think there is no correct answer to that question because different people have different preferences.

How big can a Switch 2 feasibly be before you say "its not really a handheld/portable" anymore
The old bulky Macintoshs were advertised to be portable, so I don‘t think there‘s a border for marketing. I personally consider 8-9 inch the border, any bigger and it isn‘t really portable anymore. The ideal size for a handheld is the 3DS XL, even though with a bigger screen.

so do we think they say anything on Febuary 6?
Last time, they announced the Zelda movie just before the investors meeting so all the questions would be centered around their multimedia efforts. I wonder if they can pull off something like that again, but I doubt so. Every investor must be waiting for Switch 2 news by now.

You know what the Switch 2 needs to have? Two types of docks. One for streaming to the TV and charging, and a second one that only charges. Like that charging dock of the 3DS. While one is to have next to the TV, the other one sits on your nightstand next to bed. That way it would be much easier for people who play in Handheld Mode. They can play in bed for a couple of minutes before going to sleep, and when the time comes, they just put it in their charging dock, so they have a full battery life when waking up.
Imo it's not really an issue for most people, who can get up and just dock their Switch before going to bed, though it's always good to have an option for those who really want or need it. But it'd be really nice to have something like that packaged with the "Switch 2 Lite" if they ever make one. It lacks an elegant way to be charged.

Going back to the size comparison discussion, I find it hard to believe that the current joycons will be forward compatible with an 8 inch Switch successor unless Nintendo or a 3rd party steps in with an awkward extender of some sort.

It looks like they just multiplied the OLED image by a factor 8/7, considering even the bezel grew in size. @mjayer made much better mockups imo.

The system will probably be a little bit bigger, but most likely not as big as this mockup suggests.

Going back to the size comparison discussion, I find it hard to believe that the current joycons will be forward compatible with an 8 inch Switch successor unless Nintendo or a 3rd party steps in with an awkward extender of some sort.

Do you mean specifically forwards compatible in terms of sliding on the rails of Switch 2? I’m hoping for software backward compatibility so I certainly expect OG Joy-Cons will still wirelessly connect.

Last time, they announced the Zelda movie just before the investors meeting so all the questions would be centered around their multimedia efforts. I wonder if they can pull off something like that again, but I doubt so. Every investor must be waiting for Switch 2 news by now.
Mario movie sequel, calling it now. It's been long enough in pre-production I could see an announcement by now.

Do you mean specifically forwards compatible in terms of sliding on the rails of Switch 2? I’m hoping for software backward compatibility so I certainly expect OG Joy-Cons will still wirelessly connect.

I'm sure there will be compatibility on the softwareside. Nowadays you could play with every controller if you want.

This is honestly much more accurate of what it’s going to look like if it really is 8 inches.

Last edited:
This is honestly much more accurate of what it’s going to look like if it’s really 8 inches.

Unless they manage to shave off a couple mil from the bezels.

But yeah this is what I’m expecting for now. I’ll be happily surprised if they do better.

I 100% expect the Switch 2 to have thinner bezels than the OLED model. I don't think they will push it very far anyways since this still has to be kid proof and be able to take some hits, but I don't think it will have bigger bezels like we see in this comparison. At least same size bezels, but my take is somewhat thinner bezels: instead of 6 mm, having 5 or 4 mm. The closer they remain to the original size Switch, the better they can assure compatibility with original joycons.

Last edited:
The bigger ReDraketed is just a part of the upcoming Ring Fit Adventure 2, it's passive full time arm workout!

Serious now, while Switch Lite wasn't the biggest seller and sales driver, i could see them follow the Switch 1 route and release a slimmed down, more portable Lite soon-ish (~2 years in) in the gen.
I just hope they keep a TV out at least. It doesn't have to be dockable, but at least being able to connect to a TV via HDMI or something.

Me playing Super Mario Galaxy 3 on my Switch 5

ElhIis2W0AEmm8N

Pull the pants up. So you don't have to juggle between balancing to not have your pants drop down and keeping the Switch 5 up in the air!

What did he hint at a couple of years ago?

I mean, isn't he basically hinting all the time on that account? Gonna be really difficult to find the right thing, especially when it's open just how many years "years ago" actually means. ^^

I just hope they keep a TV out at least. It doesn't have to be dockable, but at least being able to connect to a TV via HDMI or something.

You'll always need some sort of dock to output TV and charge at the same time - even if the new hardware is able to output HDMI directly to the USB-C. Plus, just throwing turned on device on a table without some sort of stand could be problematic for cooling. So some stand similar to one posted earlier in the thread would be bare minimum to enable TV output - and that's basically what a dock, stripped out of all the extra plastic, would look like.

What are the odds of the Switch 2 getting announced at the next Direct?
0%, i higly doubt Nintendo will anounce it next console on the february Direct, they can show games that hint at it next console(but the console itself no, here a game, months later you discover is a Switch sucessor game or a cross-gen for both console,cof cof cof MP4)

0%, i higly doubt Nintendo will anounce it next console on the february Direct, they can show games that hint at it next console(but the console itself no, here a game, months later you discover is a Switch sucessor game or a cross-gen for both console,cof cof cof MP4)
I agree, even though it‘d be possible there isn‘t a direct and Switch 2 gets revealed in February, but it‘s rather unlikely.

After 3-4 years it‘ll turn into „This looks to good for Switch 2“ and people‘ll complain how underpowered it is. People never change.

It‘s also really fascinating how people act like the Steam Deck is a powerhouse and Nintendo never made powerful hardware. The Steam Deck launched literally 5 years after Switch, no wonder it‘s more powerful. It seems like most people on the internet lack any understanding of tech and how it advances over the years. And they‘ll continue like this, even after Switch 2’ll turn out to be quite a bit more powerful then the Deck.
It is annoying and it isn't the Switch alone. There is a lot of people assuming that the PS5 is suppose to do ALL games in 4K120 or 4k60. You have graphics cards that cost 3 times more than the PS5 itself that struggles with that for high demanding games and you think the PS5 can do it?
I talked about a new F-Zero to my friend while we were in a bar back in 2013. Was glad to see F-Zero 99 release to prove I’m truly an insider.
He never claims to be an insider. He just a good detective. Maybe he needs to work on his technical understanding but he is a good guy.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom