• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

It's clear that Nintendo's redacted hardware is ready, but they're waiting when they have enough games to announce it.

Obviously I have no sources, but considering that in this thread he is talking about things that have nothing to do with Nintendo I just wanted to share my thoughts.

It's clear that Nintendo's redacted hardware is ready, but they're waiting when they have enough games to announce it.

Obviously I have no sources, but considering that in this thread he is talking about things that have nothing to do with Nintendo I just wanted to share my thoughts.
The soc is definitely ready. We know nothing about the rest of the hardware.

Ehh, they announced five GaaS shooters with little gameplay, with some of them looking either really bad or giving no clue what the game was about. They did not have a single announcement for any genre other than GaaS shooter and have seemingly one first-party game scheduled for pre-2025 that isn't a GaaS shooter. Their GaaS shooter that people were most excited for also got a near cancellation report the day after and closed the GaaS shooter company they started two years ago just recently.

That's all pretty bad actually.
I mean when Sony fanboys say it was bad I'm going to think my initial reaction of "it's bad" is right lmao. There were good games but from a PLAYSTATION perspective, it's very meh.

The GaaS games will likely fail. Maybe one or two will be a flavor of the week or month type thing like we've seen happen over the last year but they will likely fizzle. The reality is that the current main games of Valorant, Warzone, Fortnite, CS:GO, and I guess Apex having a dominant stranglehold on this market. Is Siege still doing well? And I feel Overwatch has gotten snuffed out by the others but I could be wrong.

GaaS games that have a better chance of succeeding are when they do something that isn't shooting or even extraction because everyone is chasing that trend now it seems. You also need to invest in influencers to play the game unless you have a brand that is massive.

ok calm down there
Let him cook!

Though 2 is my favorite in the series, it still had awful tutorials and those field skills were not it. I also feel that the writing for early chapters was a tad incohesive at times. Iirc each chapter alternated between three different writers and they seem to have not shared what they wrote until the game was nearly finished.

Oookay… tackling different subjects:

• BOTW: It’s a Wii U game that was later decided to be made into one of the Switch’s launch titles. In order to fulfill a promise, they made it crossgen, but at the cost of gutting the Wii U version to make the Switch version look better.

• Sony’s State of Play: It was an okay presentation, even with MGS3 remake and Spiderman 2. There weren’t a lot of super, high profile games, but it had interest content.

• Games as a Service: Gamers need to stop looking at the bright side of what these corporations are trying to force feed gamers. A FULL game getting DLC is fine. But purposely making a game barebones to later fill it with content? No thanks. Unless said game is $19.99 or $29.99, then fine. But a $59.99 or $69.99 barebones games to later pay $29.99 or $39.99 for an expansion pass? Get the hell outta here with that. Hypothetically, if Mario Kart 9 comes out with a $59.99 and sells 20 million units in its first year, that’s $1,199,800,000 in revenues. If later they sell a $29.99 Expansion Pass and 10% of those 20 million owners buy it (2 million) they’d get a $59 million revenue from that. Gaming is one of the categories of entertainment that has remained profitable. Too profitable, perhaps. These corporations are so deep into making profits, that they’ve raised their price tags by $10, and gamers stupidly justify this. Guess what? Your hobby that you use as a means of distraction and stress relief is getting more expensive, but your wage is either stagnant, or if raised, it got eaten by inflation.

Now, don’t give me that argumentation of inflation, foreign exchange costs, etc. That’s not my problem as a consumer. My issue as a consumer is to continue enjoying games just as they are, not subsidize your profits in order for you to be able to buy back stocks, inflate stock value and look good to investors just to get a heavy bonus and retain your position.
Yeah its definitely getting to the point where not just video games, but media in general is being overmonetized and its leading to a massive decline in quality. Maybe it'll improve eventually but so long as fandom culture becomes too susceptible to reactionary culture and FYGM attitudes (which make worker solidarity more difficult) I assume it'll continue to get worse.

At this point it's one of two possibilities:

1) Hardware is ready but the first party software isn't and they have learned that its better to delay hardware until they have a good lineup of first party software ready to go than to launch earlier but without enough first party system sellers, especially now that they aren't as directly competing with Sony/MS these days.

2) Hardware was very close to ready around 2022 but there was some major problem found after tape out that lead to them having to go back to pre-tape-out stages of SoC development so they have had to stretch out things (such as delaying TotK to fill in 2023 that normally was supposed to have had their next hardware already)

objective language was used!

It's not like there is an objective best game ever lol. Obviously an opinion :p

I mean when Sony fanboys say it was bad I'm going to think my initial reaction of "it's bad" is right lmao. There were good games but from a PLAYSTATION perspective, it's very meh.

The GaaS games will likely fail. Maybe one or two will be a flavor of the week or month type thing like we've seen happen over the last year but they will likely fizzle. The reality is that the current main games of Valorant, Warzone, Fortnite, CS:GO, and I guess Apex having a dominant stranglehold on this market. Is Siege still doing well? And I feel Overwatch has gotten snuffed out by the others but I could be wrong.

GaaS games that have a better chance of succeeding are when they do something that isn't shooting or even extraction because everyone is chasing that trend now it seems. You also need to invest in influencers to play the game unless you have a brand that is massive.

From an organizational perspective, you wont know if your game is going to fail until you attempt to make it. I don't really believe that there isn't room for more GAAS but I agree to an extent they have to do something unique to craft an audience.

But from a content perspective that didn't strike me as some abomination of a presentation. They have more games in the pipeline and I don't only judge these things by what Sony announces and what is exclusive.

VK_EXT_dynamic_rendering_unused_attachments is the new extension and was worked on by Nintendo, Valve, Arm, Imagination, Huawei, Igalia, and AMD. Lead VKD3D-Proton developer Hans-Kristian Arntzen was the one at Valve who contributed to this specification.

VK_EXT_dynamic_rendering_unused_attachments is for lifting some restrictions in place on Vulkan's dynamic rendering (VK_KHR_dynamic_rendering). With VK_EXT_dynamic_rendering_unused_attachments it allows for render pass instances and bound pipelines within those render pass instances to have an unused attachment specified in one but not the other. This new extension also allows pipelines to use different formats in a render pass if the attachment is of null type.

This isn't the first time Nintendo contributed to a new Vulkan extension, right? Wonder what the reason is. Iirc some emulators on the Switch use Vulkan and it is built into the SDK, but still. Kinda strange they've been contributing a fair amount to Vulkan extensions when the bulk of their software is on NVN.

Would this maybe help with third parties when porting to Drake and allow them to use Vulkan if they're more familiar with that than NVN?

Am I correct in interpreting this as a potential solution to the backwards compatibility problem?
IMO, yes. Not going to recap it all but I think it's a reasonable interpretation that these Vulkan changes would be very helpful in creating the kind of dynamic translation system you would need to run NVN-baked games on different hardware. The only other purpose I've seen speculated is just "improving Vulkan support/performance" which Nintendo never cared about before, and the majority of developers don't use on Switch.

Doubt it very much. It's probably not even primarily for Nintendo.
For what reasons do you doubt it?

it's probably just optimizing extensions for some SoC that they could make use of. trying to divine specific uses from this isn't really possible
Nintendo doesn't use Vulkan, they use NVN(2). And they're not just optimizing some use cases, they invented an entirely new paradigm for Vulkan graphics pipelines with a focus on dynamic flexibility with minimal overhead.

IMO, yes. Not going to recap it all but I think it's a reasonable interpretation that these Vulkan changes would be very helpful in creating the kind of dynamic translation system you would need to run NVN-baked games on different hardware. The only other purpose I've seen speculated is just "improving Vulkan performance" which Nintendo never cared about before, and the majority of developers don't use on Switch.

For what reasons do you doubt it?

Because Valve, Arm, Imagination, Huawei, Igalia, and AMD also worked on this, and the only person that's mentioned is some Proton engineer.

Couldn't it also be for improving Proton, for the exact same reason you mentioned?

Because Valve, Arm, Imagination, Huawei, Igalia, and AMD also worked on this, and the only person that's mentioned is some Proton engineer.

Couldn't it also be for improving Proton, for the exact same reason you mentioned?
https://famiboards.com/threads/futu...-staff-posts-before-commenting.55/post-626104

The "unused attachments" extension is just the latest of several that have been primarily developed by Nvidia and Nintendo going back a few years. The principal contact on this one is the same Nvidia employee as before. The list of other contributors would be people who were contacted to provide input on their use cases and experience in the field, to make sure the feature would suit as many people's needs as possible (Valve) or work on as many kinds of hardware as possible (AMD). Of those other companies, the only one besides Nvidia to be a primary contact on an extension (probably the biggest one) was a Nintendo NTD employee -- for which they wrote a whole blog post. And incidentally another Valve developer, one of the listed contributors on that extension, commented on it and stated that the feature was "developed by Nintendo."

Obviously we don't know for sure, but I would guess that either Nvidia began developing all these dynamic state extensions purely as an attempt to improve the Vulkan paradigm for modern usage, then Nintendo noticed and decided to invest heavily in it because of their own use case (leading to their creation of the aforementioned big paradigm-shifting extension), or Nintendo and Nvidia began developing it all together, spurred by Nintendo's use case but willing to do the work to make it a broadly applicable part of the Vulkan spec because that's how Vulkan membership is meant to work.

Last edited:
ARMS fans represent

qatsajknbtqkta3yuvxvv9phnfm8smozmpbenotyte9hytfycc08quoqdjmyo85v.jpg

That's one of the biggest things I'm excited about with each new generation: New IPs that display a new era of Nintendo. Hoping to see ARMS 2 with bigger and better mechanics and more content + single player

nipguezoqgicd7opmiez.gif

Yeah its definitely getting to the point where not just video games, but media in general is being overmonetized and its leading to a massive decline in quality. Maybe it'll improve eventually but so long as fandom culture becomes too susceptible to reactionary culture and FYGM attitudes (which make worker solidarity more difficult) I assume it'll continue to get worse.
Which is a point I forgot to mention: not everything has to be profitable. There’s something called breaking even. Investors need to calm down with that profit attitude, because the constant desire of profits is gonna run quality down and kill/exhaust a company.

By the way, if the hardware isn’t ready because it’s something with the hardware, what could it possibly be?

It's not like there is an objective best game ever lol. Obviously an opinion :p

From an organizational perspective, you wont know if your game is going to fail until you attempt to make it. I don't really believe that there isn't room for more GAAS but I agree to an extent they have to do something unique to craft an audience.

But from a content perspective that didn't strike me as some abomination of a presentation. They have more games in the pipeline and I don't only judge these things by what Sony announces and what is exclusive.
This showcase showed us a lot of GaaS but not enough of them. It was very CG heavy when it shouldn't have been. Am I writing them off? No. But before they were announced they have a very tough hill to climb. This showcase was Sony putting oil on that hill, imo. That's how I saw it. They did these GaaS games a disservice. There were plenty of games to be interested in but all but a couple were going to Xbox as well.

And we all know they have more games in the pipeline. We know the devs who did not show up and then there is a game like Wolverine that may be 18+ months out, who knows. But it terms of convincing people to buy the PS5 now? I think they genuinely failed. I also think excitement for the future is a little more lukewarm. We know games are coming but when. It doesn't feel a close as it did maybe before the presentation. And yes that is an expectations issue but this is also something that Sony is good at dealing with outside of the PS3 generation.

On a personal level, I wanted them to say "you're going to want to buy a PS5 this year," and all I got was, "Spiderman is cool but you can wait another year." And ultimately, I will be waiting. Either for a good deal or a nice limited edition console haha. I just don't feel the excitement for the Playstation brand like I did in that first showcase this gen. Maybe I'm just off and there is a bias playing a role but I do own every main playstation console before the Ps5 lol.

I'm sure that's why Valve was involved, but @LiC has made the compelling case in the past that Nintendo is investing in Vulkan work to make driver translation layers easier/faster.

That said, the key motivator could be NERD porting work, rather than Switch->REDACTED BC. NERD's emulators use Vulkan instead of NVN, likely for portability reasons. Making Vulkan a more appealing base for dynamic translation could really lower the barrier to getting GameCube/Wii games onto modern hardware.

By the way, if the hardware isn’t ready because it’s something with the hardware, what could it possibly be?
Depends on what you mean by "not ready."

If by "not ready" you mean "Nintendo's schedule is dictated by a hardware related thing that they cannot accelerate" then it's probably in acquiring sufficient numbers of Boring Part Q. A good example would be the cooling set up - the Switch is an actively cooled tablet, which is a rare beast. Steam Deck sold less than a million units it's first year, and Valve still needed to source two fans with radically different performance profiles (which is why some Decks have to run the fan at the extreme end of it's tolerance, resulting in that awful whine).

If by "not ready" you mean "what could Nintendo still be doing on hardware that is under their control" - there are hundreds of fit and finish things. Projects like this tend to hire lots of contractors at the end to cross the finish line - consider things like validation. Factories have physical machines that they stick a Joy-Con in to validate that they work properly. Likely a separate machine for the left Joy-Con and the right Joy-Con, and a third machine (or set of machines) for the tablet.

You need to create final assembly instructions, validate things like heat tolerance, file with various regulatory bodies in multiple countries blah blah blah. Manufacturing Uncles for Entertainment Purposes Only(tm) have implied that Nintendo is slow rolling some of these final stages. If Nintendo knows they have a decent runway, it is cheaper and better to keep your hardware team at a sustainable size long term, and let your permanent employees do this work.

If the servers close down, however, you could lose the games you've bought forever. And from an ecological point of view, dematerialization has both advantages and disadvantages, since the ecological impact of servers is not neutral.

I don't know if the situation will change in the future, but the last two Nintendo games I bought in physical form were Totk and Prime Remaster, which cost me much less in physical form than their eshop prices.
How likely is it that Nintendo Servers close down forever?
The ecological impact of servers is not neutral but most decent companies will be powering theirs with renewable energy (apple already does) and manufacturing unecessary plastic is pretty crazy in this day and age.

My point was that there are good reasons to buy digitally, it's some unfathomable choice as initially suggested,

This isn't the first time Nintendo contributed to a new Vulkan extension, right? Wonder what the reason is. Iirc some emulators on the Switch use Vulkan and it is built into the SDK, but still. Kinda strange they've been contributing a fair amount to Vulkan extensions when the bulk of their software is on NVN.

Would this maybe help with third parties when porting to Drake and allow them to use Vulkan if they're more familiar with that than NVN?
Vulkan is usable on the Switch, but it's not used enough where one could easily imagine Nintendo going in and fundamentally altering core abstractions like they've done recently. There's likely to be at least a minor uptick in usage in the near-ish future now that Godot 4 has arrived and there's been new investment into official console ports of the engine (unless W4 decides to do a NVN backend, but that seems considerably less high priority than getting DX12 in place for Xbox), but that's a very recent development, and Nintendo's been working on this for a while.

The more likely scenario is that Nintendo has some internal purpose for Vulkan enhancements. So far, their internal use of Vulkan has been for emulation (in cases where full software rendering won't cut it), and that seems unlikely to change with a second generation version of NVN seemingly in development. As for what specific project that may be, it's hard to say. It seems reasonably likely this is for some project where each individual game isn't getting the level of attention as say, VC or an NSO app. @LiC's theory that it's related to a GPU compatibility layer to run Switch games on Drake seems particularly compelling.

This showcase showed us a lot of GaaS but not enough of them. It was very CG heavy when it shouldn't have been. Am I writing them off? No. But before they were announced they have a very tough hill to climb. This showcase was Sony putting oil on that hill, imo. That's how I saw it. They did these GaaS games a disservice. There were plenty of games to be interested in but all but a couple were going to Xbox as well.

And we all know they have more games in the pipeline. We know the devs who did not show up and then there is a game like Wolverine that may be 18+ months out, who knows. But it terms of convincing people to buy the PS5 now? I think they genuinely failed. I also think excitement for the future is a little more lukewarm. We know games are coming but when. It doesn't feel a close as it did maybe before the presentation. And yes that is an expectations issue but this is also something that Sony is good at dealing with outside of the PS3 generation.

On a personal level, I wanted them to say "you're going to want to buy a PS5 this year," and all I got was, "Spiderman is cool but you can wait another year." And ultimately, I will be waiting. Either for a good deal or a nice limited edition console haha. I just don't feel the excitement for the Playstation brand like I did in that first showcase this gen. Maybe I'm just off and there is a bias playing a role but I do own every main playstation console before the Ps5 lol.
I concur with you here. I wanna play FFXVI, but I’m not dying to do it. I’d also play PS5 version of PS4 games. I’m more excited for a Switch successor than a PS5 lol

Depends on what you mean by "not ready."

If by "not ready" you mean "Nintendo's schedule is dictated by a hardware related thing that they cannot accelerate" then it's probably in acquiring sufficient numbers of Boring Part Q. A good example would be the cooling set up - the Switch is an actively cooled tablet, which is a rare beast. Steam Deck sold less than a million units it's first year, and Valve still needed to source two fans with radically different performance profiles (which is why some Decks have to run the fan at the extreme end of it's tolerance, resulting in that awful whine).

If by "not ready" you mean "what could Nintendo still be doing on hardware that is under their control" - there are hundreds of fit and finish things. Projects like this tend to hire lots of contractors at the end to cross the finish line - consider things like validation. Factories have physical machines that they stick a Joy-Con in to validate that they work properly. Likely a separate machine for the left Joy-Con and the right Joy-Con, and a third machine (or set of machines) for the tablet.

You need to create final assembly instructions, validate things like heat tolerance, file with various regulatory bodies in multiple countries blah blah blah. Manufacturing Uncles for Entertainment Purposes Only(tm) have implied that Nintendo is slow rolling some of these final stages. If Nintendo knows they have a decent runway, it is cheaper and better to keep your hardware team at a sustainable size long term, and let your permanent employees do this work.
Thanks for the clarification. So it all be supply chain management and manufacturing for probable slowdowns.

Whatever reason being.
  • Digital Games can't be lost or damaged
  • Digital Games are better for their environment
  • Many don't want to fill their house with plastic boxes.
-Digital Games are always instantly available and more practical.

I've been digital only for years on all platforms and usually pay less than RRP.
For me, where I live physical is cheaper so that's what I get when it comes to Switch games.
But I get digital whenever it's cheaper.

For me, where I live physical is cheaper so that's what I get when it comes to Switch games.
But I get digital whenever it's cheaper.

Yeah, for me I used to wabt physical over digital but as I have gotten older I honestly just care about price. Whatever is cheaper is what I buy. I don't replay games often and old systems just collect dust so I am in it for price.

What about Final Fantasy 16

if Nikkei Asia report are correct, the Switch sucessor is nearing it final stages of development or it complete, it would means Nintendo is aiming for a early/holiday 2024 launch for the console, and they will try to replicate 2017 or even surpass it for Switch sucessor, they will problaby waiting on it internal studios and subsidiaries, to check what amazing games, they can focus on the console launch and third party too, all to aligh for a perfect console launch or close to it.

I think Nintendo would gain quite a lot in going the cosmetic microtransaction route, or marketplace route. It's a big market to tap into. There are a lot of kids wasting their parents money for trivialities. Not to mention all the necessary NSO subscriptions.
You got piled on a bit for this statement but I would contend that Nintendo has already implemented this in their own way with Amiibo. Take a look at all the outfits you can unlock more easily through Amiibo scanning in ToTK. It's not in-your-face like in an game marketplace and could even be more profitable.

• Games as a Service: Gamers need to stop looking at the bright side of what these corporations are trying to force feed gamers. A FULL game getting DLC is fine. But purposely making a game barebones to later fill it with content? No thanks. Unless said game is $19.99 or $29.99, then fine. But a $59.99 or $69.99 barebones games to later pay $29.99 or $39.99 for an expansion pass? Get the hell outta here with that. Hypothetically, if Mario Kart 9 comes out with a $59.99 and sells 20 million units in its first year, that’s $1,199,800,000 in revenues. If later they sell a $29.99 Expansion Pass and 10% of those 20 million owners buy it (2 million) they’d get a $59 million revenue from that. Gaming is one of the categories of entertainment that has remained profitable. Too profitable, perhaps. These corporations are so deep into making profits, that they’ve raised their price tags by $10, and gamers stupidly justify this. Guess what? Your hobby that you use as a means of distraction and stress relief is getting more expensive, but your wage is either stagnant, or if raised, it got eaten by inflation.
Honestly, while this is shitty, it's nothing compared to Battle Passes.

ARMS fans represent

qatsajknbtqkta3yuvxvv9phnfm8smozmpbenotyte9hytfycc08quoqdjmyo85v.jpg

That's one of the biggest things I'm excited about with each new generation: New IPs that display a new era of Nintendo. Hoping to see ARMS 2 with bigger and better mechanics and more content + single player

nipguezoqgicd7opmiez.gif
I'd much rather a new Punch Out.

This game was meh.

Has anyone given any thought to headphone jack support? Lots of phones discarding them for wireless and/or usb c options now. Maybe a possible (small) money saver to remove it on redacted?

Possible chip for Mariko style stealth revision of Drake later on?
has nothing to do with Nintendo.

what's interesting is how there's a marginal improvement gen on gen, but only when you bump up the size, do you start seeing better increases. there's a limit to the architecture we're seeing or something else is at play

Has anyone given any thought to headphone jack support? Lots of phones discarding them for wireless and/or usb c options now. Maybe a possible (small) money saver to remove it on redacted?
I don't see any reason for Nintendo to do it given they have much higher margins thanks to not paying licensing fees and whatnot. it wasn't a space issue on phones and I imagine the savings bein meager because there's nothing fancy about headphone jacks. I think it's more to inflate the price of phones through add-on bluetooth buds and whatnot

Wait, I'm confused. Why exactly is it too late?
When a chip's taped out, the design of the chip is practically complete. Therefore, no physical changes can be made to the chip's design after a chip's taped out.

So assuming Drake's taped out during 1H 2022 (here and here), the Cortex-A720 design was completed well after Drake's taped out.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom