• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Thank you!!!! Exactly, it is horrifying and you can see why my disappointment is utterly immeasurable when seeing any publisher/company/Dev/whatever deciding to double down on these things. I don't think they're worth making and I hope Nintendo never goes down that road obsessively trend chasing for one of these.
I think Nintendo has quite a few games where being a live service would probably help the game & their developers more in today’s modern development environment. They already have “teams” for them more less who are dedicated to these franchises.

Similarly I think they put certain off-shoots on mobile, where it would be a live service game anyway, that can make sense.

Whether they would do it is anyone’s question but most likely not in the near future.

Sony probably knows REDACTED’s real name as well
They probably don’t, just for the record. A few years back some Microsoft internal planning documents became public, and it included that they were scheduling games to get out of the way of Breath of the Wild 2… in holiday 2021.

While executives have access to tidbits of info we don’t, they really don’t know each other’s plans anymore than we do. That’s why analysts exist.

I think Nintendo has quite a few games where being a live service would probably help the game & their developers more in today’s modern development environment. They already have “teams” for them more less who are dedicated to these franchises.

Similarly I think they put certain off-shoots on mobile, where it would be a live service game anyway, that can make sense.

Whether they would do it is anyone’s question but most likely not in the near future.
Animal Crossing would seem to correspond very well to this type of Gaas model, Mario Kart could very well lend itself to this too. Both IPs are already available on smartphones.

I hope Nintendo doesn't do stuff like that. But I hoped they'd never do DLC, I hoped they'd never release unfinished games, I hoped there'd never be a day one patch on a Nintendo game, I hoped they'd never release a console with defective controllers, I hoped they'd never give in to their idiot shareholders by publishingmobile games with microtransactions...and so on.

Nintendo is changing, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, even if the people who have no problem with all this crap probably think Nintendo is "too conservative". By the way, I expect that sooner or later they'll give up on physical products too. Digital is cheaper and sells for more than physical, and consumers are going along with it for whatever reason. They'll come around. Even NFTs aren't totally out of question in the long term, in my opinion. It all depends on consumers. They seem pretty docile.

Digital is cheaper and sells for more than physical, and consumers are going along with it for whatever reason..
Whatever reason being.
  • Digital Games can't be lost or damaged
  • Digital Games are better for their environment
  • Many don't want to fill their house with plastic boxes.
-Digital Games are always instantly available and more practical.

I've been digital only for years on all platforms and usually pay less than RRP.

Whatever reason being.

I've been digital only for years on all platforms and usually pay less than RRP.
If the servers close down, however, you could lose the games you've bought forever. And from an ecological point of view, dematerialization has both advantages and disadvantages, since the ecological impact of servers is not neutral.

I don't know if the situation will change in the future, but the last two Nintendo games I bought in physical form were Totk and Prime Remaster, which cost me much less in physical form than their eshop prices.

So I assume this is relatively close to how Drake could perform with respect to ray tracing in TV mode?

Honestly, I consider this irrepresentative of how Drake would perform with RT in Docked mode especially

There are just too many architectural differences (And deficiencies) in RDNA2/3 in RT, especially in the "mobile" variant without Infinity Cache to support.

Can't even argue CPU being the bottleneck as the clocks in the video indicate that the SoC is in fact GPU bound which does track with how AMD's RT works, it takes exponentially more TFLOPs of Raster on RDNA2/3 to get good RT versus Ampere/Lovelace due to how AMD's RT is derived from the Shader Cores versus NV's which the RT cores are more standalone and can do more on their own (At least in workloads that can utilize them)

Animal Crossing would seem to correspond very well to this type of Gaas model, Mario Kart could very well lend itself to this too. Both IPs are already available on smartphones.

I hope Nintendo doesn't do stuff like that. But I hoped they'd never do DLC, I hoped they'd never release unfinished games, I hoped there'd never be a day one patch on a Nintendo game, I hoped they'd never release a console with defective controllers, I hoped they'd never give in to their idiot shareholders by publishingmobile games with microtransactions...and so on.

Nintendo is changing, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, even if the people who have no problem with all this crap probably think Nintendo is "too conservative". By the way, I expect that sooner or later they'll give up on physical products too. Digital is cheaper and sells for more than physical, and consumers are going along with it for whatever reason. They'll come around. Even NFTs aren't totally out of question in the long term, in my opinion. It all depends on consumers. They seem pretty docile.
I doubt they go all in on digital as that is too reliant upon one option. Having both is good for sales & a contingency in case one option fails/does not entirely exist in certain portions of the world. Even in a world where consumers completely switch over to digital purchases they’ll still put out physical products on store shelves.

I doubt they go all in on digital as that is too reliant upon one option. Having both is good for sales & a contingency in case one option fails/does not entirely exist in certain portions of the world. Even in a world where consumers completely switch over to digital purchases they’ll still put out physical products on store shelves.
If this is to happen, it certainly won't happen overnight, you're right. But while you're on the subject of unforeseen events, not having to deal with the imponderables associated with the manufacture of physical support could be a major advantage in the future.

But above all, let's be honest: why bother having a physical medium produced when you can ask the nice consumer to bear the cost of data storage himself, while charging him more and more for digital games at the same time?

I don't think Nintendo will abandon physical games until the 2030s on their flagship model, but I think it's possible, even likely, that the next "cheap" model like the next Lite, or a Mini, or a TV box, would drop the game card slot to save money and offset the upfront cost.

Still thinking Calico is coming.

I don't think Nintendo will abandon physical games until the 2030s on their flagship model, but I think it's possible, even likely, that the next "cheap" model like the next Lite, or a Mini, or a TV box, would drop the game card slot to save money and offset the upfront cost.

Still thinking Calico is coming.
gamecards slots are dirt cheap. The money is in higher margins in the e shop compared to retail.

gamecards slots are dirt cheap. The money is in higher margins in the e shop compared to retail.
Thus "offset the upfront cost", that's what I meant. I should have been clearer.

Also dirt cheap isn't... Entirely true. Sure the physical pins are cheap, but the storage controller for it is on the console, and you have to have the interconnector. It's small beans but every penny counts, especially at scale. It's not just removing one part it's greatly reduced complexity AROUND that part. The SD Card and Headphone Jack ports integrated into the main board, etc

In a small device it means one less thing to worry about, one less hole to cut, one less thing to test. It's not about unit cost of a Game Card reader daughterboard, it's about the cost to the entire supply chain.

I think Nintendo would gain quite a lot in going the cosmetic microtransaction route, or marketplace route. It's a big market to tap into. There are a lot of kids wasting their parents money for trivialities. Not to mention all the necessary NSO subscriptions.

Mario Kart could work, if done well.

In 2020, I saw a lot of people paying rent by selling designs or makeovers in Animal Crossing. An in-game marketplace for any kind of asset or interior/exterior designs would grant Nintendo 30% on every transaction. A novel programmatic system to design mini-games could go a long way as well.

TotK is blowing people's minds right now, mine included. A multiplayer spin-off with co-op adventures and PvP/PvE arenas focused on Ultrahand and the physics engine would be a total cash-grab and I would be a sucker for it.

I think Nintendo would gain quite a lot in going the cosmetic microtransaction route, or marketplace route. It's a big market to tap into. There are a lot of kids wasting their parents money for trivialities. Not to mention all the necessary NSO subscriptions.

In 2020, I saw a lot of people paying rent by selling designs or makeovers in Animal Crossing. An in-game marketplace for any kind of asset or interior/exterior designs would grant Nintendo 30% on every transaction. A novel programmatic system to design mini-games could go a long way as well.

TotK is blowing people's minds right now, mine included. A multiplayer spin-off with co-op adventures and PvP/PvE arenas focused on Ultrahand and the physics engine would be a total cash-grab and I would be a sucker for it.
That sounds absolutely horrible, please let them not.

I wouldn't expect the next Lite to drop the card slot. It's a model with a target demographic that includes kids who don't have credit cards, and who are more likely to be browsing in store to decide how to spend their pocket money or what gift they want wrapped up under the Christmas tree. They don't want to lock that demographic out of physical game sales, and risk selling less games as a result.

g0thisisthedarkesttimeline_g_White.jpg

this talk about the Q is extremely weird. just because a product isn’t for you doesn’t mean it’s a bad product, or that it doesn’t have a use for some people. I own a G Cloud, and that thing fits my life extremely well. If I didn’t have a G Cloud, I’d probably consider the Q. I find the excessive hand wringing over this product pretty off-putting - it seems like some folks just don’t like modern Sony and are using the Q to get their potshots in in the latest console war barrage.

As far as the Q’s battery life goes, do folks not remember that the Wii U gamepad, the thing the Q is most often compared to, also got less than five hours before needing a charge?
Very true and rational take.

Do we have some hope for a redacted clamshell design or is the current design the way to go? I really like clamshell designs but some Switch mock-ups I saw online don’t look very good.
Oh my, a clamshell or dual screen device would make me a day one buyer and I never buy hardware day one. They're totally not doing it though.

If this is to happen, it certainly won't happen overnight, you're right. But while you're on the subject of unforeseen events, not having to deal with the imponderables associated with the manufacture of physical support could be a major advantage in the future.

But above all, let's be honest: why bother having a physical medium produced when you can ask the nice consumer to bear the cost of data storage himself, while charging him more and more for digital games at the same time?
I find the disadvantages of shipping out physical medium to be overblown in this instance. In a presumably all digital future they’ll still be pumping out various physical products for the device; so cutting physical game supply is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things. They have quite a few options to pick from to still keep a retail presence going all digital. If books, movies, & music can still keep a physical presence then I’m not seeing why Nintendo should throw out a useful tool.

I don’t even think you have to go that far:
  • Smash
  • MK
  • AC
  • MP
  • Mario Sports
  • Splatoon
  • Pokémon
Most of these games have an expansion pass + extra content in some form that would for long term content generation. The two that don’t can have feasible ways of doing so.

Last edited:
Can’t remember a time where the general mindshare of gamers was up for grabs to the degree it is at this very moment. We know the current story with Xbox but for the first time in a while, a lot of questions are being asked about PlayStation after their Showcase. Almost like a perfect storm for Nintendo this year if they were to cap it off with a Switch 2 announcement.
Different markets, Nintendo's not competing with Sony and and Microsoft, they can wait as long as they want

Surprised people are on the same page as me lol, agree totally. We simply don't know yet is all, nothings guaranteed (in both ways) and things change fast. Just how the gaming industry is, have to go with the flow or be erased. Animal Crossing, Splatoon and Pokémon are series that I can imagine would be particularly easy to put these sorts of exploitative practices into, but obviously they'd need to be marketed as family friendly. I see my little cousin spend insane amounts on random Roblox cosmetics and rubbish that will be gone forever when the servers are shut down but he doesn't care and doesn't listen to me.

Nintendo could make a killing off that like they have with mobile and charging for online which have opened up multiple, previously non existent revenue streams. And die hard fanboys will rationalize it as "ohhhh well everyone else is doing it nowadays/had to get with the times" just like they did with needing to pay to use your own internet connection with Switch Online (and PS Plus and Xbox Live before that).

Ok why do I actually want that ToTK battle royale spin off that you mentioned what's wrong with me lmao. You just know the lag would be INSANE.

Whatever reason being.

In AU digital is more expensive on consoles most of the time. I can consistently buy new Switch games for $69 AUD at retail, but those same games are $79 or $89 on the eShop. Same thing happens for the other systems. Horizon FW PS5 is $125 digitally and can be purchased for $79 physical at many outlets.

In AU digital is more expensive on consoles most of the time. I can consistently buy new Switch games for $69 AUD at retail, but those same games are $79 or $89 on the eShop. Same thing happens for the other systems. Horizon FW PS5 is $125 digitally and can be purchased for $79 physical at many outlets.
That's wild. I'm on an island in Europe, so maybe it being AN ISLAND doesn't help physical prices, but digital is usually cheaper here depending how you slice it.

I find the disadvantages of shipping out physical medium to be overblown in this instance. In a presumably all digital future they’ll still be pumping out various physical products for the device; so cutting physical game supply is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things. They have quite a few options to pick from to still keep a retail presence going all digital. If books, movies, & music can still keep a physical presence then I’m not seeing why Nintendo should throw out a useful tool.
I sincerely hope you're right, and I'm not just talking about Nintendo or video games here. I'm in no particular hurry to live in a world where Apple or Amazon or whatever will decide when I can no longer access the books, music, films and TV series I've already bought.

The same goes for France, where physical products are constantly cheaper. I paid 50€ for Totk when it was 70€ on the eshop. Yes, I know, with NSO I could have had it for the same price, but digital leaves the cost of storage to the consumer, unlike physical media.

Nintendo could make a killing off that like they have with mobile and charging for online which have opened up multiple, previously non existent revenue streams. And die hard fanboys will rationalize it as "ohhhh well everyone else is doing it nowadays/had to get with the times" just like they did with needing to pay to use your own internet connection with Switch Online (and PS Plus and Xbox Live before that).
As consumers, we also have a responsibility. I've seen more people complain about the quality of Nintendo's online when it was free than complain aboutthe joy con drift, for example. I mean, online is cool, but when Nintendo's philosophy was: "we make games, they're good, play with your friends or alone and fuck the online ", there was archaism it's true, but there was also a respect for the customer and the finished product.

I want the excitement of a new generation of hardware and all that it brings.

I hope Nintendo goes all out and they have a lot of games prepared for the first year like the Switch had, 2017 was magical.

Last edited:
I sincerely hope you're right, and I'm not just talking about Nintendo or video games here. I'm in no particular hurry to live in a world where Apple or Amazon or whatever will decide when I can no longer access the books, music, films and TV series I've already bought.
There will always be a niche for physical media in some form or fashion. It may not be as prominent as before but will still probably exist in some form or fashion. For example we still see various forms of physical print media running around: comics, magazines, newspapers, books, etc.

I want the excitement of a new generation of hardware and all that it brings.

I hope Nintendo goes all out and they have a lot of games prepared for the first year like the Switch had, 2017 was magical.
I didn't own a switch in 2017 so I was kind of out of the loop but afaik I thought they didn't have much for the first year is was cross gen and ports but I could be wrong

I didn't own a switch in 2017 so I was kind of out of the loop but afaik I thought they didn't have much for the first year is was cross gen and ports but I could be wrong

Definitely not the perception I had of that year. Breath of the Wild was not a port, Splatoon 2 was my first entry in that series, and the year ended with Xenoblade 2 and Mario Odyssey.

2017 was an overall fantastic year.

Botw was a cross gen. But I forget Xenoblade 2 came out in 2017 ty for the refresher

Why would that diminish it’s value? The Switch isn’t leaps and bounds more powerful than the Wii U, and I’d argue it’s still one of the best looking games on the platform.

Also at the end of the day the vast majority of consumers saw it as a Switch game. The Wii U version was them fulfilling a promise, and that’s about it.

Botw was a cross gen. But I forget Xenoblade 2 came out in 2017 ty for the refresher
We also got Arms and Mario + Rabbids for new IP. But you're right that the first couple months was riding high on a cross-gen game, and a Mario Kart port
Why would that diminish it’s value? The Switch isn’t leaps and bounds more powerful than the Wii U, and I’d argue it’s still one of the best looking games on the platform.

Also at the end of the day the vast majority of consumers saw it as a Switch game. The Wii U version was them fulfilling a promise, and that’s about it.
Not diminish it's value as a game, but cross-gen might diminish my (totally subjective) excitement. That launch year is often about showing what's possible, and in 2017, the Wii U had been so unsuccessful that HD Nintendo games felt very new and exciting. That is what got me to buy my first TV console since the NES after all.

A 2017 level year of cross-gen games would be rad as hell, don't get me wrong, but it would lack some of that heady New Console Smell.

Not at all, the first year was bangin.

Yeah, there were stretches where there wasn't a huge new game, but in 2017 alone we got BotW, Arms, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, Super Mario Odyssey... and that's just first party...

You're probably thinking 2018, which was like the year of ports. But even then we still got Smash, Octopath, Torna, and Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee

And yeah, outside of Xenoblade 2 being awful, and Arms and 1-2 Switch being whatever, the Switch's first year was great.

2018 was kinda ass outside of Smash though

Lol Xenoblade 2 is one of the best Switch games and 2018 had Torna

But let's not get derailed because someone wants to chime in with the old "BotW is cross gen so it doesn't count" take

I can't even with this take. What the actual hell is this corporate nightmare? I'm sorry but its mindsets like this with these very weird justifications for live services that have allowed them to run rampant because of people buying into glass half full kind of mentalities.

All of that is just terrifying and disgusting to me, you can keep it thanks.

I got the "Monster Hunter should have battle pass" vibes.

Here's a crazy thought I just had.

What if, Sony knows Switch 2 is coming this holiday, and are releasing their version of "Switch"-ing from TV to portable, this holiday, to try dampen Switch 2's hype?

"Here, play your current library of PS5 games portably. Easily Switching with the press of a button, you have great looking games in your hands."

Which, whether it works or not, further hints at a Switch 2 this holiday? Maybe?
Sony has dampened their own hype and momentum with that ridiculous showcase. The current heads are so out of touch, I hope the gaas failures will be a wake up call.

Last edited:

Yeah, this ain’t it…

They probably don’t, just for the record. A few years back some Microsoft internal planning documents became public, and it included that they were scheduling games to get out of the way of Breath of the Wild 2… in holiday 2021.

While executives have access to tidbits of info we don’t, they really don’t know each other’s plans anymore than we do. That’s why analysts exist.
I was thinking that Sony would have seen the unredacted documents that we got the [REDACTED] name from

And yeah, outside of Xenoblade 2 being awful, and Arms and 1-2 Switch being whatever, the Switch's first year was great.

2018 was kinda ass outside of Smash though

The best Xenoblade game was awful? Arms, one of Nintendo's most creative games with superb music and character designs was whatever?

Mario-movie-danny-devito.jpg

Sony has dampened their own hype and momentum with that ridiculous showcase. The current heads are so out of touch, I hope the gaas failures will be a wake up call.
Nah

There’s still, unfortunately for some, notable hype under their wing for FF and SM2 and some of the GAAS and third parties announced that weren’t GAAS titles.

Nah

There’s still, unfortunately for some, notable hype under their wing for FF and SM2 and some of the GAAS and third parties announced that weren’t GAAS titles.

Internet forums are always more dramatic about these tyoes of presentations than the general public. The showcase was fine. Spiderman 2 is going to do well. There was some reasonably interesting content for their playerbase.

I also know people here hate GAAS but lots of people enjoy them and they can be a very good recurrent revenue stream for a business. It isn't surprising that Sony wants to have some in their portfolio. They've more or less plateaued in terms of what their internal studios can do with single player content.

It's not a bad thing for them to have more types of content. They have tons of traditional content slated from both them and their partners.

I got the "Monster Hunter should have battle pass" vibes.

Nope. What are those „GAAS“ failures? We haven’t seen those games and even if all get canceled (big if!) and don’t see the light of day, who cares? Nintendo does bad game prototypes as well. Sony is doing extremely great at the moment, no need for doomposting.

Internet forums are always more dramatic about these tyoes of presentations than the general public. The showcase was fine. Spiderman 2 is going to do well. There was some reasonably interesting content for their playerbase.

I also know people here hate GAAS but lots of people enjoy them and they can be a very good recurrent revenue stream for a business. It isn't surprising that Sony wants to have some in their portfolio. They've more or less plateaued in terms of what their internal studios can do with single player content.

It's not a bad thing for them to have more types of content. They have tons of traditional content slated from both them and their partners.

Ehh, they announced five GaaS shooters with little gameplay, with some of them looking either really bad or giving no clue what the game was about. They did not have a single announcement for any genre other than GaaS shooter and have seemingly one first-party game scheduled for pre-2025 that isn't a GaaS shooter. Their GaaS shooter that people were most excited for also got a near cancellation report the day after and closed the GaaS shooter company they started two years ago just recently.

That's all pretty bad actually.

Oookay… tackling different subjects:

• BOTW: It’s a Wii U game that was later decided to be made into one of the Switch’s launch titles. In order to fulfill a promise, they made it crossgen, but at the cost of gutting the Wii U version to make the Switch version look better.

• Sony’s State of Play: It was an okay presentation, even with MGS3 remake and Spiderman 2. There weren’t a lot of super, high profile games, but it had interest content.

• Games as a Service: Gamers need to stop looking at the bright side of what these corporations are trying to force feed gamers. A FULL game getting DLC is fine. But purposely making a game barebones to later fill it with content? No thanks. Unless said game is $19.99 or $29.99, then fine. But a $59.99 or $69.99 barebones games to later pay $29.99 or $39.99 for an expansion pass? Get the hell outta here with that. Hypothetically, if Mario Kart 9 comes out with a $59.99 and sells 20 million units in its first year, that’s $1,199,800,000 in revenues. If later they sell a $29.99 Expansion Pass and 10% of those 20 million owners buy it (2 million) they’d get a $59 million revenue from that. Gaming is one of the categories of entertainment that has remained profitable. Too profitable, perhaps. These corporations are so deep into making profits, that they’ve raised their price tags by $10, and gamers stupidly justify this. Guess what? Your hobby that you use as a means of distraction and stress relief is getting more expensive, but your wage is either stagnant, or if raised, it got eaten by inflation.

Now, don’t give me that argumentation of inflation, foreign exchange costs, etc. That’s not my problem as a consumer. My issue as a consumer is to continue enjoying games just as they are, not subsidize your profits in order for you to be able to buy back stocks, inflate stock value and look good to investors just to get a heavy bonus and retain your position.

—————

Edit:

Getting back to the subject of the successor:

I think we might get a general Direct in a week or two. Probably mid June

If we don’t get anything, I’ll be getting that sweet Zelda OLED :p

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom