• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Maybe the real Drake was the friends we made along the way.
7Y7nzGm.png

Kinda miss the current consensus if we expect a reveal on new Nintendo Hardware soon in light of things that were said recently by Nintendo themselves (which doesn't really mean anything as they can just say A and then do B)

As I said, it's not about costs, it's about margins. The Q will have high margins because it's an accessory, and therefore will look expensive next to a low-margin product like the console itself. Logitech sells a streaming tablet with a 1080p LCD display for $300, probably with similar costs and margins as I'd expect for Sony's version.
Ok. But how much of a margin? Surely there's a limit to the number they pick because of conceived value. How much would something like this cost them? $80? $100? Even going double seems good enough at $200.

If the next Nintendo Switch has different Joy-Con (which seems apparently likely), I hope they go with a different handle style to the Q Lite. The most comfortable large-format device IMO is the Wii U GamePad, and it used rear bumps rather than wings. This would also keep the dimensions reasonable in the X and Y. Less Binbok, more Backbone, you know?

I'd love to see an Nvidia Shield Portable format device, but not as the flagship console with detachable controllers. A Pro Controller-esque shell with reduced wings and a clamshell screen would be pocketable and comfortable.
Switch sucessor need to apply hall effect joystick on it next controller, to avoid, much as possible the dreadful Joy-Con drift

Kinda miss the current consensus if we expect a reveal on new Nintendo Hardware soon in light of things that were said recently by Nintendo themselves (which doesn't really mean anything as they can just say A and then do B)
Nintendo will problaby reveal/show Switch sucessor around E3 2024 time, for a holiday 2024/early 2025 release, they will not reveal/show the console now, if they do this, they will risk losing precious holiday sales

Quoted by: D36
Nintendo will problaby reveal/show Switch sucessor around E3 2024 time, for a holiday 2024/early 2025 release, they will not reveal/show the console now, if they do this, they will risk losing precious holiday sales
Depends on how they market it. If Drake is marketed as a premium product with cross-gen, that would mitigate any potential loss in Switch sales for the Holidays, especially if Drake is factored in Nintendo's 15 million forecast.

You are right, in terms of brand strength they've never been stronger. Personally in terms of my view on their current portfolio, tbh I don't really gel with Sony's focus on 3rd person action adventures with RPG elements that they've had going since the PS4. The PS5 seems to have doubled down on that, although I liked Demon's Souls, Astrobot, Sackboy and GT7 (except for MTX) though. I wish they published more smaller, experimental titles like they did on the PSX, PS2 and even a bit on PS3 though, but the whole industry is heading that way sadly. The race for resolution/scale has impacted all the major developers.
I don't mind it to be honest as every single indie game hits PS day one and they fill those itches perfectly. The only reason you'd want them to do that is for the high budgets that a PS Studios production entails (like Returnal) or some novel gameplay idea, both better fulfilled by indie games. Besides, their old wacky IPs didn't sell well at all and that's why they were systematically canned, a key factor the jaded with Sony never seem to know... Or ignore for their own narrative, who knows (anyone bothered to see how Returnal, Ratchet and Demon Souls sold?)

As much as I like smaller games myself, I'm yet to understand why are enthusiasts so anal about them these days. I'd rather have a ridiculously high effort, big budget single release than a bunch of smaller ones that were never going to realize their full potential because of said reasons. These games already cost 70 dollars and beyond, being AAA isn't an impediment to anything, all the opposite. Smaller devs would kill for the huge financial support and manpower behind those releases, and I can't blame them.

this talk about the Q is extremely weird. just because a product isn’t for you doesn’t mean it’s a bad product, or that it doesn’t have a use for some people. I own a G Cloud, and that thing fits my life extremely well. If I didn’t have a G Cloud, I’d probably consider the Q. I find the excessive hand wringing over this product pretty off-putting - it seems like some folks just don’t like modern Sony and are using the Q to get their potshots in in the latest console war barrage.

As far as the Q’s battery life goes, do folks not remember that the Wii U gamepad, the thing the Q is most often compared to, also got less than five hours before needing a charge?

You really shouldn't be defending this. There's zero defending this product, including the battery life. Just saying.

Hey, uh, maybe you shouldn't make a joke about this to a disabled queer minority member. Because I can't begin to tell you how fucked up this type of "joke" is.

Also, as for the rest of your hostile response, which was completely uncalled for, you don't need to double down on your corporate defense stuff in here, please. The whole product doesn't make any sense to begin with, especially with how Sony already supports streaming to begin with on third party applications, but to have an exceptionally abysmal battery life for a streaming-only product, there is no defending this. Sorry.
I don't know why you got defensive about this product and had an aggressive tone to your post. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a 4 hour battery life. I'm used to portables hardly lasting 2.5 - 3 hrs these days, even my OG Switch is so.

I'm not sure tbh why you're so up in arms about this. No one's defending anything. It's just pure tech talk. Also, some people like myself like it. I'm interested in it. I like gaming hardware tech in general and I like and always curious to see new hardware, whatever it is. And honestly your aggressive tone made me feel uneasy for liking this product. Like I should dare like it. Who cares? I absolutely LOVED the Wii U and its tablet hardly lasted 2 hrs fgs.

I don't know why you got defensive about this product and had an aggressive tone to your post. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a 4 hour battery life. I'm used to portables hardly lasting 2.5 - 3 hrs these days, even my OG Switch is so.

I'm not sure tbh why you're so up in arms about this. No one's defending anything. It's just pure tech talk. Also, some people like myself like it. I'm interested in it. I like gaming hardware tech in general and I like and always curious to see new hardware, whatever it is. And honestly your aggressive tone made me feel uneasy for liking this product. Like I should dare like it. Who cares? I absolutely LOVED the Wii U and its tablet hardly lasted 2 hrs fgs.
I'm wondering too, what does being a queer member have anything to do with this? There's no need for him to victimize like that, much less when the topic is the Q Lite which, IMO, the battery life is fine considering the resolution of the screen and Dual Sense features (which are battery hogs in the real controller, too). It is literally just the PS5 experience in the cloud, nothing wrong with that except for the definitely not-low price it will have. It really feels most people in here are jaded about Sony for the most unfounded reasons imaginable, which you can bring down using google for five minutes.

Last edited:
I wonder what’s the battery hog in project Q exactly, I don’t think it has a battery THAT small given it’s size, what’s the inefficiency here?
the dualsense has terrible battery life to begin with. add on streaming and a big ol screen, and it makes sense that the battery life isn’t great.

but still, 3-5 hours is perfectly fine. if you’re interested in a streaming handheld, you most likely don’t have the time to sit down and play games for five hours straight. and if you did, you would be using the TV.

As far as the Q’s battery life goes, do folks not remember that the Wii U gamepad, the thing the Q is most often compared to, also got less than five hours before needing a charge?
The Wii U Gamepad's battery had a capacity of 1500mAh, if I recall correctly. I can't imagine the PQ using a smaller battery. Even though Wii U streamed at 480p compared to PQ's 1080p, it's also over a decade older in tech.

Ok. But how much of a margin? Surely there's a limit to the number they pick because of conceived value. How much would something like this cost them? $80? $100? Even going double seems good enough at $200.
It’s not clear how much it costs because it doesn’t yet have a complete spec sheet. Cheap 1080p tablets are in the 100+ range, and this is going to need a soc capable of decoding the video stream in real time, plus basically an entire dual sense.

I wonder what’s the battery hog in project Q exactly, I don’t think it has a battery THAT small given it’s size, what’s the inefficiency here?
Video decode is a battery hog, and that’s doing this 100% of the time.

Switch’s battery estimates are based on running in airplane mode, by comparison, this device requires WiFi to function.

I don’t have a PS5 yet, but I was already planning to get the PSVR2 knowing I would barely use it.

If I talk myself into Project Q, please take my video games away. It’s the only way I’ll stop.
I'd offer to take your PS5, but I just got one last week.

I don’t have a PS5 yet, but I was already planning to get the PSVR2 knowing I would barely use it.

If I talk myself into Project Q, please take my video games away. It’s the only way I’ll stop.
I won’t if you enjoy it. Have fun.

There’s no real consensus.

Has Nintendo ever gone this long between hardware releases without some announcement? What are we at… 6 years… and almost 3 months? Nintendo has historically given an announcement by now of a successor.

Has Nintendo ever gone this long between hardware releases without some announcement? What are we at… 6 years… and almost 3 months? Nintendo has historically given an announcement by now of a successor.
We would usually get a codename ~2 years before the system releases. Though that may be a remnant of a bygone era.

Can’t remember a time where the general mindshare of gamers was up for grabs to the degree it is at this very moment. We know the current story with Xbox but for the first time in a while, a lot of questions are being asked about PlayStation after their Showcase. Almost like a perfect storm for Nintendo this year if they were to cap it off with a Switch 2 announcement.

Here's a crazy thought I just had.

What if, Sony knows Switch 2 is coming this holiday, and are releasing their version of "Switch"-ing from TV to portable, this holiday, to try dampen Switch 2's hype?

"Here, play your current library of PS5 games portably. Easily Switching with the press of a button, you have great looking games in your hands."

Which, whether it works or not, further hints at a Switch 2 this holiday? Maybe?

What if, Sony knows Switch 2 is coming this holiday, and are releasing their version of "Switch"-ing from TV to portable, this holiday, to try dampen Switch 2's hype?

"Here, play your current library of PS5 games portably. Easily Switching with the press of a button, you have great looking games in your hands."

Which, whether it works or not, further hints at a Switch 2 this holiday? Maybe?
nah, this is just a way to keep playstation peeps in the ecosystem by providing them more ways to play the system

I concur.

Do we have some hope for a redacted clamshell design or is the current design the way to go? I really like clamshell designs but some Switch mock-ups I saw online don’t look very good.
Clamshell fan too, but hard to imagine how it would work well for at least their primary model. Can't fold the screen down over sticks unless they get replaced with something like circle pads. Would definitely make using Switches in Redacted docks or vice-versa harder to pull off. By and large people seem happy with the current status quo.

Do we have some hope for a redacted clamshell design or is the current design the way to go? I really like clamshell designs but some Switch mock-ups I saw online don’t look very good.
Probably not but I wonder if the Switch brand can grow strong enough to the point where we have a “main” Switch, Switch Pro, & Switch Lite similar to IPhone and the Lite offers a clamshell design

I dunno, sounds a little too niche to compete with Nintendo. If it weren't an accessory that required a PS5, relied on WiFi, and functioned like a Steam Deck (minus the fact that it's a portable gaming PC), maybe. But it probably would've been more expensive, in that case. I wonder what a digital only, portable PS5 would even cost. Hell, I don't think Nintendo is even worried about the Q.

Clamshell fan too, but hard to imagine how it would work well for at least their primary model. Can't fold the screen down over sticks unless they get replaced with something like circle pads. Would definitely make using Switches in Redacted docks or vice-versa harder to pull off. By and large people seem happy with the current status quo.
This might sound crazy, but with the Lite being the last word in cost reduction as far as Switch goes, I don't think that the Lite 2 is likely to be a clamshell. What I COULD see them do is have a clamshell "mini" fit into the market where the V2 Switch sits now, or similar.

A 250$ Switch 2 LITE, a 350$ Switch 2 MINI and a 400-450$ "Nintendo Switch 2” flagship.

The "Mini" clamshell would fit its own niche and be more premium than the Lite. More moving parts and such, higher complexity, and the ability to dock (dock sold separately).

Now I think Nintendo likes to keep their hardware lines at most at 3 devices concurrently, I expect V2 to be dropped well before Drake launches to allow for this, so the possibility of a "Mini" on the market is predicated on the assumption that they don't go in the opposite direction and release a home console only variant.

Sony would be crazy to believe that a streaming device that looks as atrocious as theirs could ever compete at all on any level to a Switch 2. One is a console that can actually play games on the go and the other needs to be connected to your PS5 at all times with an utterly terrible remote play feature (played remote play in the past and the issue comes down to resolution and latency, it just feels downright awful and unplayable to me.)

There's no competition on what the market cares about when a lot of these streaming concepts end up failing miserably because consumers don't care for playing in compromised ways.

Xcloud is the closest but the beauty of that is, you can actually play that on the go as long as your connection is solid.

Sony missed the point of a device like this, phones can already do remote play and cloud stream, hell devices like Steam Deck and Rog Ally can, whilst also running good looking games reasonably. Why would anyone pay for a device like this when they can do it already using a backbone controller or something? Delusional on their part and is just more shareholder pandering from Jim Ryan showing "oooooo look at us, we totally are trying to get into the cloud gaming market too!!!! See???"

Ughhhh...

Last edited:
A bit late, but oh my God, your Metroid Hero Shooter, Mario Kart MX and Gacha Zelda examples are really fucking horrifying, really puts things into perspective within the gaming industry (except indies, i will always love indies). Nintendo is far from perfect but i'm very thankful they haven't implemented any of this garbage into their games and i hope they continue that path for the future.

Thank you!!!! Exactly, it is horrifying and you can see why my disappointment is utterly immeasurable when seeing any publisher/company/Dev/whatever deciding to double down on these things. I don't think they're worth making and I hope Nintendo never goes down that road obsessively trend chasing for one of these.

this talk about the Q is extremely weird. just because a product isn’t for you doesn’t mean it’s a bad product, or that it doesn’t have a use for some people. I own a G Cloud, and that thing fits my life extremely well. If I didn’t have a G Cloud, I’d probably consider the Q. I find the excessive hand wringing over this product pretty off-putting - it seems like some folks just don’t like modern Sony and are using the Q to get their potshots in in the latest console war barrage.

This is the type of stuff I want to see more of from Sony..
Random Gadgets, "that make you go who is this for?" Yet have a quirkiness to them that you wouldn`t mind having them. As in the days of old Sony

I mean Remember the Aibo? Who the heck needs a $2500 (In 1999 dollars) Robot Dog?
The only sold on Playstation website, PS2 immersive head mount display
pudj5a2.gif

PSX.

etc etc..

I`m sure it will sell for $250 or above, there will be about a couple hounded thousand people that will pick it up, and Sony will recoup the R&D costs.

Last edited:

Sony probably knows REDACTED’s real name as well

lol I had the same thought yesterday based on the timing of the announcements and their release window. Not to dampen the hype per se. But if they manage to entice even a tiny fraction of PS5 owners to save up for these new accessories, if Drake does become available this holiday season, even that relatively low amount of $ staying in the Sony ecosystem would still be a win overall.

So at first I did think the timing could be suspect. Why announce optional premium accessories so far ahead of time? But then I checked and Sony gave the DualSense Edge an even longer announcement to release window. They hype it up at first, give people time to salivate over it, then a few months later reveal the price with pre-orders.

While I do think Drake this holiday is still a possibility, this isn't making me change my odds on that happening (which are far, far from a lock anyway).

Does this mean no redacted on TSMC 5nm for a while?

If T239 is using a TSMC 5nm/4nm node, then it would have been decided years ago and already factored into Nvidia's orders with TSMC. Besides, TSMC's 5nm processes were already facing pretty low utilisation rates from the drop in demand in other sectors, so this is a case of Nvidia using up some of that spare capacity, which shouldn't have any effect on other products being manufactured on the process.

Does this mean no redacted on TSMC 5nm for a while?

Before I answer, I want to mention that DigiTimes has a hit or miss track record. So take what DigiTimes said with a very healthy grain of salt.

Anyway, not necessarily if Nintendo and Nvidia decided to fabricate Drake using TSMC's 4N process node when probably taping out Drake in 1H 2022 (here and here).

Speaking about taking a very healthy grain of salt, here's another claim that should be taken with a very healthy grain of salt.

Fortunately, Nvidia's Computex 2023 keynote is tomorrow at 8pm (UTC-07:00).

Confirmation bias aside, the Project Q releasing this Holiday could mean that the Switch 2 is slated for Holiday this year or Spring. If Sony isn’t releasing a Slim or Pro model this Christmas Eve, it means it’ll probably be released for next year’s season. Holiday 2023/Spring 2024 gives Nintendo enough time to cement the successor in the market.

A bit off topic, but this is how I see Sony:
• Holiday 2024 - Slim model
• Holiday 2025 - Pro model

Well, psvr 2 costs $530 on top of a $500 console.

Drake VR wouldn't be anywhere near that.

I'm not saying Nintendo VR would be a success, I'm just saying it's not apples and apples.
What Nintendo tried with VR Labo certainly had its problems, but it was innovative and interesting and I wouldn't like them to stop experimenting in their own way, because I believe Nintendo is capable of coming up with unique ideas to exploit this technology.

The Wii U failed because a lot of people thought it wasn't a new console. Maybe the Sony Q will succeed because a lot of people will think it's a new console.

Confirmation bias aside, the Project Q releasing this Holiday could mean that the Switch 2 is slated for Holiday this year or Spring. If Sony isn’t releasing a Slim or Pro model this Christmas Eve, it means it’ll probably be released for next year’s season. Holiday 2023/Spring 2024 gives Nintendo enough time to cement the successor in the market.

A bit off topic, but this is how I see Sony:
• Holiday 2024 - Slim model
• Holiday 2025 - Pro model
Sony has no relevance in Nintendo’s plans for what or when they’ll release their next system.

So I assume this is relatively close to how Drake could perform with respect to ray tracing in TV mode?

I'd be pretty happy with that ngl. The low FPS in stuff like Portal RTX doesn't concern me. Never expected Drake to do full path tracing anyway, but getting Doom Eternal with RT on at a locked 60 would rule.

The more I think about what's potentially possible with this next system, the more excited I get. For a handheld, I really think this thing is going to be nuts, even if we get it on a bad node or at low clocks. Plus, seeing what Nintendo does now with the current Switch makes me optimistic for the future.

So I assume this is relatively close to how Drake could perform with respect to ray tracing in TV mode?

I think it bodes well GPU wise, can be optimized for a console and it leaves room for further improvement to maintain a 30 or 60FPS target if they choose to or can, also bodes well for the other consoles too. And this is running on windows of all things. Much lower level console environment should be able to help at least.

Makes it not so impossible…. Though this is running at or near the very highest clock frequency.

But my concern is the CPU. zen 4 greatly outclasses the A78 in single and multi threading, and Drake would only have 7 cores/7Threads for games.

This thing has 8C/16T for use…. is what I’d like to finish off at, but then I looked at the footage.

This thing isn’t even near the highest CPU clock frequency…. so idk

I would like to see more 720p tests. I suspect we'll see a lot of what we see now with 540p-720p in handheld mode and 720p-900p in docked mode (and dlss from that). so I'd like to see a lot of these tests at 720p more. but I'm glad someone else tried RT + low settings in Cyberpunk.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom