• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Maybe I am misreading this article, but it seems the goal is to take shaders compiled for different hardware and then recompile them on the fly for new hardware, regardless of what that new hardware is. I could be off track, but it seems like this could be a solution to handling the shader compilation problem for Switch games on Drake. If it can be implemented in Vulcan, then it can be implemented in NVN.
I don't believe the Vulkan extension itself solves the specific issue of the Switch's precompiled shaders, since the feature presumably needs information about the shaders beyond the raw GPU shader binary (which is all shipped Switch games have) in order to do what it needs to do. However, the issue I think it solves is the step where you have a shader either decompiled or transpiled or whatever, in a form you can work with, and you need to submit it to the GPU without incurring additional overhead from shader compilation, specialization, linking/includes, and other such things that gum up a dynamic runtime shader pipeline, and then intelligently caching it for reuse with even less overhead.

And it's not a question of implementing it "in" Vulkan or NVN. This is a Vulkan feature which NVN doesn't share, but even if it did, a copy of Mario Odyssey on a cartridge manufactured in 2017 wouldn't have the extra information needed for the NVN feature. What I think will happen is that old NVN code from 2017 will run on top of a layer that can translate what it gets from old NVN into something usable, then this new Vulkan feature will take over and use that data to create the actual commands and shader binaries to submit to the new GPU.

I'm not sure it does make Vulkan faster. As described, the best case scenario is basically "dynamic approach with no additional performance penalty over the static approach.
I should clarify - Vulkan itself is as fast using this API versus pipelines, on the Nvidia driver (and likely the future AMD driver). However, the common video game use of pipelines required a large front end which was CPU intensive, complex to maintain, and had some really bad memory usage properties.

Games which use those front ends, can scrap them and get a huge increase in simplicity. On non-Nvidia hardware, the performance penalty of the new extension is designed to be lower than the performance win of scrapping the front end. On Nvidia, at least, that should result in a net win.

" On Nintendo hardware, I think would have been very rare for anyone to use the dynamic approach before; they would have just used the static approach for performance and accepted the increased complexity, shader size, etc. Now they can use a dynamic approach which eliminates enough overheads to be worth it.

I could be persuaded that the main goal of this effort was supporting third-party ports using Vulkan, but I'd need to see some evidence that any devs out there are champing at the bit to use Vulkan on Nintendo hardware but being held back by its implementation (and particularly the static pipeline approach). I haven't seen that, although I'm not claiming to be so plugged into Switch development circles that I could necessarily expect to. It just seems that there's a much more major need of Nintendo's that would warrant the -- again -- "years of work" that went into a feature that can recreate shaders for "any compatible physical device without the need to provide the original SPIR-V" and "solve [...] issues with shader compilation and stuttering."

The other side of the coin is I'm not sure this is in anyway a Nintendo priority. This was developed by an intern, after all. In large standards bodies, it's not uncommon for the company attached to a contribution to have no vested interest in the specific contribution. Researchers like to contribute back to their field, letting them do so helps you retain them for other work. And if you do use a standard, contributing to parts of it you might not have immediate use for is both a "maintaining the commons" good, and gives you additional political weight.

I'm also insufficiently plugged-in to do anymore than hand wave here on the Nintendo side. It's entirely possible that Nintendo picked up a Redmond Washington tech internship tax break, hired a kid out of grad school, and let him complete his thesis work in a commercial setting while they decided if they were going to offer him a job.

Or it could be a path to making Vulkan a more appealing alternative for DirectX based games. In the case of the RE Engine, the devs have said the barrier to getting decent performance on Switch was porting from DirectX to NVN, not because of NVN, but because of HLSL to GLSL. Vulkan has been maturing it's HLSL support, which potentially makes Vulkan a more interesting target for Switch ports for DirectX titles.

Or... any other thing!

Quoted by: LiC
There's also the possibility that Nintendo hasn't yet made the final decision on when exactly to release Drake - or hadn't made it at the time of putting together the Feb 8th Direct anyway. Keeping the schedule clear beyond July gives them the flexibility to go either way* (cause yeah, I don't think the SoC would be cancelled and too expensive that delaying the release & just warehousing stuff until 2nd half of '24 would not be preferable). Obviously it couldn't be a last minute decision, but there's a tiny bit of leeway there.

*either way meaning anytime between holiday '23 and mid '24, but can stretch later I suppose, but would be drastic imo)

Last edited:
I should clarify - Vulkan itself is as fast using this API versus pipelines, on the Nvidia driver (and likely the future AMD driver). However, the common video game use of pipelines required a large front end which was CPU intensive, complex to maintain, and had some really bad memory usage properties.

Games which use those front ends, can scrap them and get a huge increase in simplicity. On non-Nvidia hardware, the performance penalty of the new extension is designed to be lower than the performance win of scrapping the front end. On Nvidia, at least, that should result in a net win.
The blog post discusses that, I just don't see anywhere where it says anybody's pipeline is actually going to perform better, just that in the best case it will be the same, and that in general the elimination of the CPU overhead should offset a non-zero loss of performance due to dynamism.

The other side of the coin is I'm not sure this is in anyway a Nintendo priority. This was developed by an intern, after all. In large standards bodies, it's not uncommon for the company attached to a contribution to have no vested interest in the specific contribution. Researchers like to contribute back to their field, letting them do so helps you retain them for other work. And if you do use a standard, contributing to parts of it you might not have immediate use for is both a "maintaining the commons" good, and gives you additional political weight.
The principal contact for the extension is a longer tenured NTD employee whose blog post says the feature is the culmination of years of work. The internship you're referring to only began about a year ago (May 2022 according to LinkedIn), and the intern in question is listed as one of 25 contributors, getting second billing behind an Nvidia employee. So I don't know if it's accurate to say this was just a product of that internship.

I can see why you would think this, and it's not out of the question that the Switch update was just a throwaway prediction by them. But the leaker also shared a couple other DLC details in the leak that were nowhere in the Pokemon Presents, but were later confirmed to be true by a "Riddler" who has been leaking S/V information since at least the middle of last year.

It's not completely convincing, I never take something at 100% until it happens. However I do think we should seriously consider the information since it's rare that someone not only leaks a presentation very correctly, but that their smaller currently unknown details are also corroborated by someone with a notable leak history.
I hope this is true. I'll be the happiest guy in the world if we end up having a Switch 2 by the end of 2023. I'm just not sure about that leak, but I hear what you say. And I also remember that we had no clue about Dread for exemple, during the first semester of the year it released. Not knowing the big holiday game in april is not that unusual and it's not a solid clue in my opinion. Even if we knew about Pokémon S/V last year, this is not directly Nintendo who announced this big holiday game on Switch.

The principal contact for the extension is a longer tenured NTD employee whose blog post says the feature is the culmination of years of work. The internship you're referring to only began about a year ago (May 2022 according to LinkedIn), and the intern in question is listed as one of 25 contributors, getting second billing behind an Nvidia employee. So I don't know if it's accurate to say this was just a product of that internship.
Also, said Nvidia employee is the principal contact for VK_EXT_extended_dynamic_state3, and the NTD employee I mentioned is a contributor there too. This is a feature which the currently discussed VK_EXT_shader_object extension has a dependency on, and whose usage I've also seen speculation about for handling a BC layer with NVN. So I do get the sense of a longer ongoing effort, with both Nintendo and Nvidia involved, to create this extension (following VK_EXT_extended_dynamic_state, VK_EXT_extended_dynamic_state2, and VK_EXT_vertex_input_dynamic_state by Nvidia, going back to 2019).

There's also the possibility that Nintendo hasn't yet made the final decision on when exactly to release Drake - or hadn't made it at the time of putting together the Feb 8th Direct anyway. Keeping the schedule clear beyond July gives them the flexibility to go either way (cause yeah, I don't think the SoC would be cancelled and too expensive that delaying the release & just warehousing stuff until 2nd half of '24 would not be preferable). Obviously it couldn't be a last minute decision, but there's a tiny bit of leeway there.

I think in 2020 and 2021 there was flexibility for Nintendo, strategically deciding when to release a successor, but once your within about 18 months of release, things have to be pretty much nailed down to get all the manufacturing agreements in place. I absolutely believe Nintendo either experienced delays with development for Switch Redacted in 2020-2022, or simply pumped the brakes a bit to see how the semiconductor market was going to shake out. The idea that Nintendo had to nail down a release date for Switch Redacted many years in advance just isnt the the case. Its very possible that when Redacted started development in 2019 Nintendo was aiming for 2022, expecting Switch sales to have started to taper off pretty hard by then. 2020 hits, prices for semiconductors soars along with shortages, Switch sales explode through the roof and suddenly Nintendo is awarded an opportunity to let he dust settle before they make the final preparations to roll out their next hardware.

The blog post discusses that, I just don't see anywhere where it says anybody's pipeline is actually going to perform better, just that in the best case it will be the same, and that in general the elimination of the CPU overhead should offset a non-zero loss of performance due to dynamism.
If I'm reading things correctly, I think it's suggesting that applications may be be able to spend less CPU time setting up the pipeline, but like I said before, this is an area I'm not super familiar with.

Seeing that tweet get reported even more today and how it "confirms" things like mass production being underway. Good way to end the week.

Yep, many of these YouTubers are grabbing things from this message board and a couple others, and just run with it. This is how we end up with a ton of false smoke. Odds are we aren't going to get leaks that really pain the full picture prior to Nintendo actually revealing the new hardware. It will be interesting to see just what information discovered in this forum ends up panning out and being proven correct down the road. I think the biggest mind fuck would be if Switch 2 were to launch later this year, but doesn't use T239 Drake. Heads would explode.

Yep, many of these YouTubers are grabbing things from this message board and a couple others, and just run with it. This is how we end up with a ton of false smoke. Odds are we aren't going to get leaks that really pain the full picture prior to Nintendo actually revealing the new hardware. It will be interesting to see just what information discovered in this forum ends up panning out and being proven correct down the road. I think the biggest mind fuck would be if Switch 2 were to launch later this year, but doesn't use T239 Drake. Heads would explode.
Switch 2 will definitely be a home console and handheld duo powered by AMD and taking advantage of supplemental computing to boost each other up. 🤭

Switch 2 will definitely be a home console and handheld duo powered by AMD and taking advantage of supplemental computing to boost each other up. 🤭
You joke, but there is no question you guys could easily collectively troll these Nintendo YouTubers with bogus info and sit back and watch the fireworks. Its crazy how quick they are to report on random people posting random stuff.

You joke, but there is no question you guys could easily collectively troll these Nintendo YouTubers with bogus info and sit back and watch the fireworks. Its crazy how quick they are to report on random people posting random stuff.
If the misrepresent and misunderstand my lies half as poorly as they do the things I mean, then I think I'd still be pissed off. "That's not even what I was trying to lie about!"

This entire post essentially is agreeing with me but your your putting way too much emphasis on pre-launch. The devices you mentioned both are conceptually flawed devices & it wouldn’t matter if they had better pre-launches. The reason Nintendo struggles is because of that, putting out conceptually flawed devices such as: N64, GC, & WiiU. As we see with their handheld line they are mostly fine when not doing that.

I’m not ignoring what Sony did but claiming that people could have seen the PS5 as “just another model” of PS4 was frankly never gonna happen from even just a bird’s eye view. Your listing things Nintendo has done with their various models already. It stands to reason that with a Switch 2 they would do the same. All that wouldn’t matter if the device itself is conceptually flawed.

Like I’m not seeing how this would add an extra month to their pre-launch. They could do 2-3 months and be fine with the way information spreads now & how fast they can get information out.

We see it differently then, but pre-launch is crucial to the way the Switch 2 will perform. And yes, in an age where there was a successful PS4 Pro that gave 4K resolution and higher framerates to games.... what was the PS5 going to offer? That was the number one question Sony asked themselves and they drove home the point that the PS5 was more than just another PS console or a PS4 Pro Mark 2. I mean how many PS5 and XSX games are there that cant be played on last gen consoles? Its scarily real how consumers can turn just completely turn off to $400+ devices that dont do enough new or different versus what they have and skip it.

You can´t look at gaming forums or enthusiast reactions on Twitter and think that is how the average consumer sees the next big gaming product. If the window is too narrow, the masses can just immediately see it as ¨Another Switch model that I dont need with the one I have¨. Sony is actually really lucky that the demand for PS5s crossed heavily into pop culture because people want one because it seems like everybody does lol

Seeing that tweet get reported even more today and how it "confirms" things like mass production being underway. Good way to end the week.
All it took was one person on era to baselessly claim that person was reliable with zero follow up.

Vetting ain't what it used to be eh?

Correct me if I´m wrong though, but wouldn´t mass production for a holiday 2023 release start in May or June? I remember hearing that is when the PS5 and XSX/S entered their mass production ahead of their holiday launch.

Is Nanite in Unreal 5.2 very demanding or no.
preview version numbers. Nanite uses less resources than temporal super resolution

9uI3DL5.png

Does anyone have a favorite mockup/concept rendering of what they want the Switch 2 to look like?

My favorite is the Switch Up posted on reddit awhile back.

y0mz3wpgbv131.jpg

Only problem is it takes away the removeable controllers which I don't think Nintendo will do. There's other things to nitpick about it (the sticks/button placement.) But in terms of overall vision and being a convincing render, I think it does the best job I've ever seen.

Improving vulkan can make more third party partners support the console. Switch's current support for Vulkan is quite poor and only works well in certain emulated games. For the only known port of a current game using Vulkan on Switch, it's the Ark disaster.
Well, because very few games use it, most of them emulated games

I didn't mean poor performance. forgive me if I've caused any confusion

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

What if we start spreading fake leaks so that the real ones start talking to debunk the lies? 😈

Does anyone have a favorite mockup/concept rendering of what they want the Switch 2 to look like?

My favorite is the Switch Up posted on reddit awhile back.

y0mz3wpgbv131.jpg

Only problem is it takes away the removeable controllers which I don't think Nintendo will do. There's other things to nitpick about it (the sticks/button placement.) But in terms of overall vision and being a convincing render, I think it does the best job I've ever seen.
This is probably my favourite I've seen on the internet too. I'd like it to work like a Wii U Gamepad and cast directly to the TV when not in handheld mode.

This device will be backwards compatible. I'm not speculating anymore, I'm sure of it.

In this case, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will be playable on it, yes? And getting updates until at LEAST the end of this year.

So why not provide a next gen patch to bump up the resolution?

They can have their cake AND eat it. They can keep Mario Kart 8 evergreen across two generations of consoles with a relatively minor patch (relative to how much else they've changed since 2014, like completely changing architecture, possibly twice). AND they can drive sales of the next generation with Mario Kart 10 as an exclusive. REDACTED can be the BEST way to play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe AND the only way to play Mario Kart 10.

Just like how Xbox Series X is the best way to play Forza Horizon 5, and the ONLY way to play Forza Motorsport 23. Cake. And eating it.

Short addendum, I find it kind of amusing how Microsoft ALSO has evergreens, and not small ones either. Forza Horizon 4 and 5, Master Chief Collection and Rare Replay come to mind, but things like Skyrim and FONV (both on Game Pass) also have ongoing audiences. Not as many, perhaps, but still, not to be discounted.

There's also the benefit that courses made for MK8D DLC can easily be reused for Mario Kart Tour and vice versa.

I also think the fact that Nintendo has suddenly been more willing to rebalance MK8D shows they've taken an interest to treating it as one of their primary live service games and hope to continue to sell more DLC for it after 2023.

That’s what I’m talking about and have been waiting on. 👍🏾✊🏾🥃

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulkan-Docs/blob/main/proposals/VK_EXT_shader_object.adoc

New Vulkan extension just dropped. The interesting bit here is that Nintendo appears to be a significant contributor.

It's not immediately clear to me that this would be directly related to new hardware, but that said, I'm certainly not an expert on graphics APIs. It seems like this could potentially have some uses in emulation (something we know Nintendo uses Vulkan for in their N64 emulator), as well as generally increasing flexibility and reducing CPU overhead. Also if I'm reading this right, it might reduce storage costs of shipping precompiled shaders for Vulkan games.

This is very interesting indeed. I don't think it pertains to new hardware at all (ray tracing not being supported yet would certainly be a limiting factor), but it's very interesting not just that Nintendo is contributing to Vulkan directly, but they're contributing a major feature which fundamentally changes one of the key paradigms the API is built on.

I'm definitely no expert on graphics APIs either, but I would be surprised if this relates to emulation or BC in any way. From an emulation perspective, it would absolutely make sense that it could allow the dynamism supported by the graphics API being emulated to be better mapped to Vulkan. However, the only prior Nintendo hardware which would seem to warrant this would be the Wii U, as it's the only console other than the Switch which supports programmable shaders. In my understanding (which may absolutely be wrong), emulation of fixed-function hardware like GC or Wii would map well to the existing pipeline paradigm. And for reasons that should be obvious, I would expect Wii U emulation to be very far down Nintendo's priority list.

In terms of BC, I can't see any good reason to involve Vulkan in Nintendo's BC efforts. The benefit of Vulkan is that it is an open, general purpose, cross-platform API, and the benefit of contributing to it is that you can then depend on that contribution being supported across a variety of hardware and driver implementations. The implementation of backwards compatibility is almost the opposite of this; it is a very specific problem, for which a single implementation is made, to run on a single target architecture, and the entire stack can be (and probably is) proprietary. Nintendo and Nvidia can implement this in any way they wish without any regard for anyone else, so why would they constrain themselves by implementing it on top of a cross-platform API?

My guess is that Nintendo's involvement in Vulkan, and their usage of it in emulators, is a kind of future-proofing or insurance for future hardware. In the case of the emulators, there is probably little to no benefit from using NVN over Vulkan, but if they ever change hardware vendor in the future, then using Vulkan can at least mean avoiding having to re-implement their emulators as they had to do moving from Wii U to Switch. It's very unlikely they'll actually use Vulkan for games, but if they do change hardware vendor, they will have to work with them to implement a new graphics API for the new hardware. Using Vulkan as the starting point for such an API would make a lot of sense, as it's an API Nintendo is already familiar with, and any hardware vendor will also be familiar with and have a mature driver implementation for. Proposing improvements to Vulkan like the one we see here could simply be a way for Nintendo to push it closer to their "ideal" graphics API, and the closer it is to that, the less friction there would be in implementing any new custom graphics API in the future.

I'm not sure there would be a meaningful loss in performance due to dynamism. Again, I'm anything but an expert here, so I'm happy to be contradicted, but my expectation would be that the performance overhead of dynamism in an API like this is policing that dynamism, ie performing validation at run-time to ensure that a particular dynamic combination is a valid one. In this case that would manifest as vkCmdBindShadersEXT validating that the shader objects provided are compatible with each other. However the proposal explicitly states that that's not the case, and that it's the application's responsibility to ensure the set of shaders is valid.

I could also see the dynamism losing some performance compared to a pipelined approach when shader compilation optimisations can be made when a full pipeline is bound, however the option of linking shader objects would appear to give developers the same potential performance improvement in cases where it's found to be meaningful while being much more flexible.

Correct me if I´m wrong though, but wouldn´t mass production for a holiday 2023 release start in May or June? I remember hearing that is when the PS5 and XSX/S entered their mass production ahead of their holiday launch.
Yes.

SX was august though.

We see it differently then, but pre-launch is crucial to the way the Switch 2 will perform. And yes, in an age where there was a successful PS4 Pro that gave 4K resolution and higher framerates to games.... what was the PS5 going to offer? That was the number one question Sony asked themselves and they drove home the point that the PS5 was more than just another PS console or a PS4 Pro Mark 2. I mean how many PS5 and XSX games are there that cant be played on last gen consoles? Its scarily real how consumers can turn just completely turn off to $400+ devices that dont do enough new or different versus what they have and skip it.

You can´t look at gaming forums or enthusiast reactions on Twitter and think that is how the average consumer sees the next big gaming product. If the window is too narrow, the masses can just immediately see it as ¨Another Switch model that I dont need with the one I have¨. Sony is actually really lucky that the demand for PS5s crossed heavily into pop culture because people want one because it seems like everybody does lol
Pre-launch is important but you put way too much emphasis on it. It can start the device on the right foot but is only a small part for the overall performance of the device. If the device is not conceptually sound then it won’t matter. If they cannot sustain past launch then pre-launch won’t matter. The phenomenon you speak of, is one that happens with similar hardware in close proximity to each other. Like if people refer to is as a model then that speaks to issues pre-lunch isn’t gonna fix.

And, is that a joke question? Sony can wax poetic on it not being another PS device but at the end of the day that is what it is. A more powerful device then their previous one; that improves, builds, & enhances previous features while also adding new ones. This notion that somehow people were going to mistake it for a PS4Pro mk2 is ridiculous. It wasn’t luck that created the fervor to buy one. But, Sony capitalizing off momentum & making a conceptually sound device as a follow-up.

I’m not sure why you think I’m only talking about enthusiast Twitter or forums. News disseminates fast & wide nowadays. Especially for the unveil & subsequent information about a new device. It’s not gonna be shocking when mainstream press create stories/articles about [redacted].

My guess is that Nintendo's involvement in Vulkan, and their usage of it in emulators, is a kind of future-proofing or insurance for future hardware. In the case of the emulators, there is probably little to no benefit from using NVN over Vulkan, but if they ever change hardware vendor in the future, then using Vulkan can at least mean avoiding having to re-implement their emulators as they had to do moving from Wii U to Switch.
Not even just vendor changes underneath. Vulkan makes certain API/ABI guarantees that Nintendo themselves don't, with good reason. NVN lives just about as close to the hardware as you can get without making you write a driver yourself, and there will be some breaking changes with the next version of the hardware, even if it's NVN2 and T239 and Nvidia. Vulkan might be the right move there regardless.

Do we have any substantial evidence that the device could still come this year?

Very down or indifferent on Nintendo these days (or realistically months). Starting to come to terms with it not really mattering to them, as they’ll still get most fan money for major releases like Tears, and when something new does drop we’ll be right there to evangelize for them 🫠

In terms of BC, I can't see any good reason to involve Vulkan in Nintendo's BC efforts. The benefit of Vulkan is that it is an open, general purpose, cross-platform API, and the benefit of contributing to it is that you can then depend on that contribution being supported across a variety of hardware and driver implementations. The implementation of backwards compatibility is almost the opposite of this; it is a very specific problem, for which a single implementation is made, to run on a single target architecture, and the entire stack can be (and probably is) proprietary. Nintendo and Nvidia can implement this in any way they wish without any regard for anyone else, so why would they constrain themselves by implementing it on top of a cross-platform API?

My guess is that Nintendo's involvement in Vulkan, and their usage of it in emulators, is a kind of future-proofing or insurance for future hardware. In the case of the emulators, there is probably little to no benefit from using NVN over Vulkan, but if they ever change hardware vendor in the future, then using Vulkan can at least mean avoiding having to re-implement their emulators as they had to do moving from Wii U to Switch. It's very unlikely they'll actually use Vulkan for games, but if they do change hardware vendor, they will have to work with them to implement a new graphics API for the new hardware. Using Vulkan as the starting point for such an API would make a lot of sense, as it's an API Nintendo is already familiar with, and any hardware vendor will also be familiar with and have a mature driver implementation for. Proposing improvements to Vulkan like the one we see here could simply be a way for Nintendo to push it closer to their "ideal" graphics API, and the closer it is to that, the less friction there would be in implementing any new custom graphics API in the future.
I disagree that a specific "Switch 1 to Switch 2" solution is desirable for BC in the same way as NVN is for native games, and I think you're missing that there's a connection between your two paragraphs here (BC and future-proofing). The reason why the NVN approach exists is to wring every bit of performance of something you explicitly will not reuse (natively) on a future platform. That's the opposite proposition of BC, where you want things to remain compatible into the future with changes in architecture and possibly even graphics vendor, and where low overhead and flexibility are more important than bare metal performance. Using a cross-platform API as the foundation for BC means they can reuse it on any future platform that supports Vulkan, which should be all of them, even if NVN doesn't exist anymore. Whereas "implement this in any way they wish without any regard for anyone else" i.e. treating it only as a "Switch 1 to Switch 2" problem would mean that the same effort needs to be undertaken again for every future console.

I'm not sure there would be a meaningful loss in performance due to dynamism. Again, I'm anything but an expert here, so I'm happy to be contradicted, but my expectation would be that the performance overhead of dynamism in an API like this is policing that dynamism, ie performing validation at run-time to ensure that a particular dynamic combination is a valid one. In this case that would manifest as vkCmdBindShadersEXT validating that the shader objects provided are compatible with each other. However the proposal explicitly states that that's not the case, and that it's the application's responsibility to ensure the set of shaders is valid.

I could also see the dynamism losing some performance compared to a pipelined approach when shader compilation optimisations can be made when a full pipeline is bound, however the option of linking shader objects would appear to give developers the same potential performance improvement in cases where it's found to be meaningful while being much more flexible.
I paraphrased it a couple times already, but you can just check out the "Performance" section of the blog post. It states that the best case scenario is no performance penalty, and that in the general case there are performance penalties, which may be offset by CPU performance improvements in handling the pipelines. And rather than listing any performance improvement metrics, a list of maximum permitted regressions which they tested for is cited.

Do we have any substantial evidence that the device could still come this year?
There's lots of reasons to believe it could. When it will is a totally separate question and all anybody has is predictions and gut feelings about that.

Very down or indifferent on Nintendo these days (or realistically months). Starting to come to terms with it not really mattering to them, as they’ll still get most fan money for major releases like Tears, and when something new does drop we’ll be right there to evangelize for them 🫠
Can't relate. I just like playing video games. I post here because the tech side is interesting in its own right, but when I'm playing (or anticipating) games I never feel myself thinking "but what if these polygons were being accelerated by the Ampere™ graphics architecture instead?!"

Yes.

SX was august though.
I do recall that now, was it because of some issue though? That seems pretty late

Pre-launch is important but you put way too much emphasis on it. It can start the device on the right foot but is only a small part for the overall performance of the device. If the device is not conceptually sound then it won’t matter. If they cannot sustain past launch then pre-launch won’t matter. The phenomenon you speak of, is one that happens with similar hardware in close proximity to each other. Like if people refer to is as a model then that speaks to issues pre-lunch isn’t gonna fix.

And, is that a joke question? Sony can wax poetic on it not being another PS device but at the end of the day that is what it is. A more powerful device then their previous one; that improves, builds, & enhances previous features while also adding new ones. This notion that somehow people were going to mistake it for a PS4Pro mk2 is ridiculous. It wasn’t luck that created the fervor to buy one. But, Sony capitalizing off momentum & making a conceptually sound device as a follow-up.

I’m not sure why you think I’m only talking about enthusiast Twitter or forums. News disseminates fast & wide nowadays. Especially for the unveil & subsequent information about a new device. It’s not gonna be shocking when mainstream press create stories/articles about [redacted].

I´ll leave it at this - Being as Nintendo has fumbled their reveals several times, they should take the time Sony took with the PS5 to properly differentiate the new platform from the Switch. Believe it or not, there is a chance that a significant chunk of their audience might write it off if the reveal to launch window is too narrow given it has no game changing form factor like the Switch and can easily be misinterpreted with reactions like ¨Just a Switch Pro, I´ll wait for Nintendo´s REAL next gen console in a few years¨

There's lots of reasons to believe it could. When it will is a totally separate question and all anybody has is predictions and gut feelings about that.

Can't relate. I just like playing video games. I post here because the tech side is interesting in its own right, but when I'm playing (or anticipating) games I never feel myself thinking "but what if these polygons were being accelerated by the Ampere™ graphics architecture instead?!"

I think my bar for acceptable looking on TV has just gone up, and Switch doesn’t hit it anymore. Games often look blurry, dithering on some Switch titles is horrendous, and performance is all over the place. I deliberately play in handheld mode to mask these issues. It’s not that I want top of the line, I just want to be past the sub-1080p (often sub-720p) era for Nintendo.

I’m frankly not fussed about the AAA(A) space of gaming, but cannot get over how clean every single title looks on my XSX. Xenoblade 3 could have no changes in world detail or geometry, just a bump to 4K, and it would literally be a game changer for me.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom