• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST29 Feb. 2024| Two Handhelds, Both Alike In Dignity

What Is Your Burning Desire? — Read the ST First

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hear the gif.

tenor.gif

Just finished Super Mario RPG. Lovely little game. Though I don't quite get the hype about Geno :LOL:
Same here. He was a cool character. Fun to play as.

And that's just about it. Might be a fandom's hyper fixation on a character, a character featured on a spinoff, and a character that was left to obscurity for decades

So I've been on a Castlevania mood lately and remembered I still haven't played Bloodstained. I really don't wanna do it on the PS4, though. Is the Switch version good these days or does it still have performance issues?

No. Laggy, bad performance, some muddy visuals still. Can't recommend, personally.

Damn, that's a bummer :( Guess I'll have to play on the PS4.

Whaaa that’s rad. Also there’ll be more in the collection too

Better have dungeon dice monsters

Seems unlikely this will come to the west, since the two confirmed games were never localized. Would be very cool to get a GBA + DS collection, though. I still have the GBA games, but it's been ages since I've played Nightmare Troubadour.

I hope Konami keeps the retro collections coming, we are still sorely missing a Bomberman collection or two and of course the Castlevania DS collection.

Nothing announced for the west, but this is sick. I still have Scared Cards physically for gba.

Oh boy! We doing Yugioh Collection?

Gotta get

1. Forbidden Memories
  2. Falsebound Kingdom
  3. Capsule monsters
  4. Dungeon Dice Monsters
  5. Dualist of the Roses
  6. The Eternal Dualist
  7. Worldwide Edition Stairway to the Destined dual
  8. Spirit Caller

Sweet memories. Dualist of the Roses was the strangest and most unique of these games

So I've been on a Castlevania mood lately and remembered I still haven't played Bloodstained. I really don't wanna do it on the PS4, though. Is the Switch version good these days or does it still have performance issues?
It's... okay. It's not unplayable, as it was when it was originally released, but yeah, if you can play it on another system, I would recommend to do that.

(But sheesh, writing this reminded me of what an absolute shitshow the Switch port originally was and how 505 Games used every scummy trick in the book to try to hide it and it still annoys me.)

Damn, that's a bummer :( Guess I'll have to play on the PS4.

Seems unlikely this will come to the west, since the two confirmed games were never localized. Would be very cool to get a GBA + DS collection, though. I still have the GBA games, but it's been ages since I've played Nightmare Troubadour.

I hope Konami keeps the retro collections coming, we are still sorely missing a Bomberman collection or two and of course the Castlevania DS collection.
Nah the Castlevania and contra collections had untranslated games, they’ll include any equivalent translated ones too usually

Quoted by: Leo
If we're talking classic Yu-Gi-Oh! games here, I want the one that was a blatant self-insert fanfic (forgot the title, sorry), because at the time I thought it was wild that such a thing existed in an official manner.

Nah the Castlevania and contra collections had untranslated games, they’ll include any equivalent translated ones too usually

Castlevania and Contra are very playable in japanese, Yu-Gi-Oh is completely unplayable.

Bought Persona 3 Reload and LAD: Ishin for Xbox One but can't be bothered to actually get up and play it. I'm kinda spoiled in a "play anywhere" way by Switch 😩

Last edited:
Didn’t get to play Tekken 8 so I’m coping by watching T8 matches on Youtube

And damn even just watching has got me hyped

I finished Road to Hill 30 a few weeks ago and just beat Earned in Blood on PC last night.
First time playing the Brothers in Arms series, I'm overall impressed with them and Gearbox's effort to recreate real locations, but boy do those games show their age.

I've been kind of trying to get started making a game, but I'm a bit stuck at the figuring out what to make step. I've got like half of an idea for something that's pretty loosely inspired by the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games (specifically their sort of odd approach to isekai), but the problem is that what I have is really more world building and some pieces of a story outline than mechanics, and the prospect of actually building it feels kind of overambitious of a first project for someone who is a lot more comfortable working with code than words or pictures.

I've been trying to come up with some more reasonably scoped project ideas that I could use to build up the skills to really do the idea justice (or at least establish my game dev skills enough that I'd be comfortable involving other people), but I just haven't been able to find one that I'm passionate enough about to motivate myself to actually build it yet.
I think something important to know is that a lot of worldbuilding will kind of come together as you start building, as long as you’re always asking yourself why

you can start with, say, a constellation of setpieces and ideas (even jokes) and go from there

some examples from Grögol Bonanza:

- Grögols being quick, mostly black & white linework with only one color highlight — this meant that characters / the world should be similarly simple, but in a different way. The rough edges and bright colors I settled on informed the whole thing.

- I decided early that I wanted a blue hole in a forest right at the center of the map. This made me ask, “what made this lake? why is it special?” — determining that something huge from above struck it, but then left, became the key to why Grögols exist

- I really wanted to reference the Cinesphere, which is near me irl. So I decided there would be an island like it. The name “Cinespear” came to mind, but a spear is nothing like a sphere. — So I had the architects make a massive mistake and build a “Cines-pear” instead. Naturally, the characters who wanted the Cinespear now have historical tension with another faction. And a whole new faction is created — a city of characters so obsessed with pears that they’d do that.

- I wanted to honor the Famiboards Horse Incinerator running joke. So the game had to have a Horse Incinerator — in a world that doesn’t know what a horse is. Therefore, we get a character NAMED Horse, an easily-accessible farm early on, a mechanical reason for an incinerator, story consequences for using the incinerator, and a later encounter that can only be triggered by using the incinerator.

- I was also determined to have a tower in the sea that looked like a needle (Neil Young joke) — so I naturally had to decide what towers in the sea were about (university equivalents) and why they resembled objects my characters wouldn’t necessarily have or need (secret)

- Many of the characters are loosely-to-less-loosely based on my own friends, and seeing what they’ll do in that world comes partially naturally — especially since I made spaces in their locations for them to work on the things they care about, and let those spaces feed into their communities

I've been kind of trying to get started making a game, but I'm a bit stuck at the figuring out what to make step. I've got like half of an idea for something that's pretty loosely inspired by the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games (specifically their sort of odd approach to isekai), but the problem is that what I have is really more world building and some pieces of a story outline than mechanics, and the prospect of actually building it feels kind of overambitious of a first project for someone who is a lot more comfortable working with code than words or pictures.

I've been trying to come up with some more reasonably scoped project ideas that I could use to build up the skills to really do the idea justice (or at least establish my game dev skills enough that I'd be comfortable involving other people), but I just haven't been able to find one that I'm passionate enough about to motivate myself to actually build it yet.
wow

just realized I read this backwards!!!!

mechanic advice is trickier, but I’d say it helps to pick something and go for it — and it will evolve

start with simple parts

the big breakthrough for making my battles more dynamic and interesting actually came to me from playing the game 140 — so I recommend playing a lot of games you wouldn’t normally play and wouldn’t automatically fit your genre!

never know when the lightbulb will strike

As much as we were goofing on the Archie Sonic comics before, I've heard good things about the newer IDW series. People love the original elements and the cleaner continuity, and some of the more popular characters have appeared in the mobile games. One of them even got a name drop in Frontiers. I gotta check them out for myself some day.
oh god

oh god no

I… I never meant for this to happen

please… forgive me…
Hey, you know what they say - LOVE hurts!

...maybe a bit too much. Maybe I can do something about that to restore balance? Or at least lift their spirits?

GAMBIT: I offer LOVE some banana bread as a peace offering/delicious snack.

Hey, you know what they say - LOVE hurts!

...maybe a bit too much. Maybe I can do something about that to restore balance? Or at least lift their spirits?

GAMBIT: I offer LOVE some banana bread as a peace offering/delicious snack.
Gambit Viable!
Check:
Empathy

+2 BOOKS Base Empathy
+3 Chorus Faction

Threshold: 9oz. Heart-Shaped Pan

Let’s Roll…
D1
6 + D2 1

SUCCESS (12/9)

The banana bread comes out stunningly! Not a single bad thing happens. BOOKS and LOVE enjoy a peaceful little picnic on a pristine lake, and realize that maybe — just maybe — they have more in common than they think.

Together, they write the first Romantic Cookbook-Novella, Banana’d in the Bread by My Own Bread.
  • LOVE gains Gambit Yeah!s x 2
  • BOOKS gains Gambit Yeah!s
  • Kindness is not easily forgotten…

shocked-knives.gif

The banana bread comes out stunningly! Not a single bad thing happens. BOOKS and LOVE enjoy a peaceful little picnic on a pristine lake, and realize that maybe — just maybe — they have more in common than they think.

Together, they write the first Romantic Cookbook-Novella, Banana’d in the Bread by My Own Bread.
  • LOVE gains Gambit Yeah!s x 2
  • BOOKS gains Gambit Yeah!s
  • Kindness is not easily forgotten…
Well dang, now I feel bad about striking BOOKS with that song last night. But it fit with the word "book" being in the lyrics, so like, yall understand yeah?

Pls forgib
1YTzfP2.jpeg

Man, I was watching a stream of Suicide Squad and the gameplay just looks like the most mindless thing ever. I mean the core mechanics like the shooting and abilities seem decent enough but what I watched was just come streamer killing a bunch of generic dudes on rooftops and then hopping to another rooftop to kill more generic dudes. That was literally it. There was no level or mechanic progression shown at all. Just think of walking around the world map in a Final Fantasy game and grinding enemies but it's the entire game.

UPDATE #2 – Through Page 10
UPDATE #2 – Through Page 10

The battle is on! Here's how the past ten pages have been going.

DIGNITY Standings
  1. LOVE – 184
  2. BOOKS – 173
  3. ABYSS – 142
  4. TWO – 110
  5. MUSIC – 51
Love seems to have made a comeback! We better watch our backs...

Poll Votes x 10 = Initial DIGNITY

Here are our Poll Standings this week!
  • LOVE – 12
  • TWO – 8
  • BOOKS – 12
  • ABYSS – 6
The following calculations are since the last update (Page 3).

STRIKES Dealt

GAMBITS Made

GRACE Earned
  • LOVE gained +110 DIGNITY through GRACE
  • TWO gained +67
  • BOOKS gained +58
  • ABYSS gained +65
  • MUSIC gained +31
Hmm... wonder if there's a clue here about how GRACE is gathered...

MANIFESTATION Garnered
  • Sonic 3 Film Announced – RIVALRY tripled for the day!
  • Sonic Comic Book AwarenessBOOKS got +10 and LOVE took -10 in psychic damage

Great work everyone – keep up the chaos!

Last edited:
Man, I was watching a stream of Suicide Squad and the gameplay just looks like the most mindless thing ever. I mean the core mechanics like the shooting and abilities seem decent enough but what I watched was just come streamer killing a bunch of generic dudes on rooftops and then hopping to another rooftop to kill more generic dudes. That was literally it. There was no level or mechanic progression shown at all. Just think of walking around the world map in a Final Fantasy game and grinding enemies but it's the entire game.
I've never thought about it, but isn't that kind of what live service games are? The worst parts of games stretched and dragged out for years with little bells and whistles along the way to keep people hooked?

I've never thought about it, but isn't that kind of what live service games are? The worst parts of games stretched and dragged out for years with little bells and whistles along the way to keep people hooked?

I guess that's true to some degree but I think the best ones usual give more window dressing to it. Like a Strike in Destiny, you are progressing through a level with two other people. There's some platforming, some rooms where you fight enemies, hold a point, capture some points, dunk some balls, and fight a boss at the end. Each Strike has there own settings and there are different enemy races that can appear or not appear depending on the Strike.

In Suicide Squad, it just looks like you're placed in the open map of Metropolis and you just run about killing enemies. There are some objectives but it mostly just comes down to killing the same dudes.

I promise this will be the last time I shill anything of my own!

I just uploaded episode two of my very bad podcast with my brother and a mutual friend of ours. I'm not especially great at audio editing, so if anyone has the time to give it a listen and let me know how it sounds I would greatly appreciate it!

3XP Podcast

Oh, and, uhh...we talk about books in the show and how bad I am at reading them, so...uhh...

I STRIKE BOOKS in the name of TWO!

(I think; sorry @Suswave I am very bad at following TTRPG directions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom